• Published 13th Feb 2012
  • 1,201 Views, 31 Comments

fixing a pinkie promise - The Drifting Bard



it's never easy, leaving the ones you love behind.

  • ...
7
 31
 1,201

I'm not the Colt i used to be

inspired by FYC


The party was in full swing, but i didnt feel the music.
i only listened as the same boring beats shuffled across the floor.
i sighed, and put on a fake smile. i just wanted to get this over with.
i watched a pink pony bounce around the house, enjoying herself.
"hey! Bass, Pinkie sure knows how to throw a party, doesn't she!" a cyan coloured pony shouted next me.
she oddly reminded me of that mare from that book, ya know? Daring-do...
but i could also tell she had a bit of an attitude problem.
"i'm Rainbow Dash, fastest flyer in all of Equestria" she boasted.
i simply rolled my eyes, "sure you are" i said quietly.

i continued my attempt to mingle but soon found myself face to face with the very sort of pony i had trouble with in manehatten. the upper class. "hello Darling, my name is Rarity, i run the Carusel boutique, feel free to stop by if you need a new suit" i sighed, i didn't want to say anything.
"pleased to meet you" i smiled.
sighing again, i took a quick glance and saw a plate of muffins and cupcakes on the table.
i noticed a pair of grey hooves grab one muffin, i watched as the muffin disappeared into oblivion. "that good huh?" i asked the grey mare. she simply nodded, knowing it was impolite to talk with a mouthfull of muffin.
i reached out for a cupcake. taking a bite, i was returned back to that simpler time, only... Pinks was attempting to bake cupcakes in my granny's oven...much to Granny free's chargrin.

i shook off the memory, and continued to munch happily.
i had purposefully hidden a bottle of whisky away from prying eyes, knowing that pranks are usually pulled.
"hey there sugarcube, ah'm applejack" i was surprised to here a southern-belle accent around here.
"ah, its nice to meet you" i gave a genuine grin, something told me we would get along fine.
"just to give ya a heads up, ah work down at Sweet apple Acres, so if ya need anythin apple wise, just holler"
"will do!" i smiled.

within a few moments, i bumped into a purple unicorn, she had her head in one of my music books.
i cleared my throat. "You know... you should really ask before reading my stuff" she suddenly looked up and shot me a sheepish look. "terribly sorry sir, my name's Twilight Sparkle, i work at the ponyville library"
"i'll be sure to come in for a book or two..maybe a spell"
"really?"
i face-hoofed. "the maybe a spell part was a joke... mind you..sometimes humour can be wasted on the intelligent"
"oh... well...thank you for the compliment?" i left her confused, which was a small amount of payback as to what...she....

oh sweet celestia no.

i looked at the open page. cross my heart hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye, if i break this promise... i will die.
i heard a shrill shriek and a bizarre deflation sound. "EVERYPONY OUT!!!" was the next thing i heard.
as ponies left the house, they were muttering something. "YOU!!!!!!" she pointed a hoof at me.
i could only cower in fear. but then i looked up into her eyes, those striking blue eyes which i had missed so much.
"Blueberry Bass!!! where the hay have you been?" i watched as silent tears began to roll down her cheeks.
"p-p-pinkemena?" i stuttered, oddly confused. i rushed to hug her, but she pushed me away.
"no, you dont get off that easy... where were you...after 5 years you finally show up here?... why?"
i slumped down, "Pinks... i....i don't know what to say" i looked down, "Granny Free died two days before i left"
"And you didnt think to tell me?" she was about to start ranting.
"please Pinkemena... hear me out" but it was too late.
"i don't want to hear it... just... leave me alone okay? you've done enough" she stormed out of the house.

i was alone again.
i walked over to my hiddne stash of whisky, i pulled the top off and poured a glass out.
"damnit... this all worked out so much better in my head" i sighed.
the unwritten songs began pouring out, and i began to write.
"damnit... why did i have to go buck shit up by travelling" i lamented.


there was a lot more paper wasted that day, piles of it.
i hadnt slept in several days. after a while, i needed to get some groceries.
sighing inwards, i knew i would probably bump into somepony.
"hey!, hey im talking to you! Bass!" i looked up, Rainbow Dash flapped her wings before finally coming down to land.
"i dont know what you did, but i want you to fix it" she growled.
"what?" i looked at her, i was totally clueless. "what have i done now! cant i take a few measly steps without something going wrong" i slumped down, my vision began to blur with tears.
she gave me an odd look. "what the hay?" look just go to sugarcube corner and speak to pinkie pie"
"Pinkie Pie?... oh you mean Pinkemena"
"yea...hang on a minute, you know her?"
i was still sat there..."yes... but thats not important"
"fine.... just.. go talk to her"

i walked in to the shop, but was met with two very hatefilled stares.
"so, your the one" the stallion behind the counter said, with a hint of malice in his voice.
"oh for Celestia's sakes... if either one of you even thinks about tearing me a new one... i'm goint ot take a bass string and tie you two against the ceiling" i shouted.
the two ponies were flabbergasted. "now...wheres ...Pinkie Pie"
i began to wheeze. "i need... to speak with..her"
i fumbled around in search of my pills.
Rainbow dash walked in behind me, hearing my haggard breath.
i took two pills and had to sit down. "ehe.... sorry...about... that outburst...earlier"
the mare looked at me for a moment, "it's okay... we're just"
"Protective of Pinkie... i know... she was a sweet...little...filly back in the day" i smiled weakly.
the ponies looked at me, "i just... thought... things would be different you know?... after Granny Free died, i was pretty much left with nothing...cept Pinks" i sighed, tears freely falling. "i..should have never come here in the first place if all i was going to do is bring her" i was slapped across the face with a pink hoof.
a trio of gasps was heard.

"Don't you dare...don't you bucking dare say that you brought me pain" she screeched.
"PInkie Pie... i'm sorry...p-please let me explain"
"You don't need to explain anything... you left with out saying goodbye"
time seemed to stop, i turned to look at Rainbow dash. her face contorted to one of disgust.
"your the why she doesnt like her childhood?" Dash spat in my face.

"fuck it" i sighed. "i...i'm not wanted here...i should have just...i'll just..." there was no use trying to fight it any longer.
i broke down and wept. nopony has ever seen me break down, not for five years.
"Blueberry, why didn't you say goodbye?" she could clearly see i had been torturing myself for years.
i told her.... i told her that i couldnt...
"your father...never did like me... just told me you were grounded"
she looked at me, the solution to the puzzle was becoming clearer.

"look, I'm.... not the colt i used to be," i began telling her what exactly happened to me during the five years.
she began to cry. "i'm sorry...so so sorry... i didnt know..i didn't..." i just sat there, cradling the pink pony with striking blue eyes in my arms. "it's okay Pinks... i'm still here arent i?"
she looked up at me. "i hate myself... for leaving you, like i did, you were.... hay...still are my best friend, but... i wanted to be more than friends... but i dont deserve it" i looked down.

"too right you dont suarcube" i was pushed away from pinkie and literally knocked to the floor.
"Aplejack, don't"
i simply just stood up and left. "you know... i got better treatment when i was homeless" i sighed.
again... everything stopped. "how the hay could you afford to live there then?"
"saving for five long years, what i didn't use to buy what little i needed to survive, i saved up" i said solemnly.
"i should have just stayed in Manehatten" i lamented again.