• Published 13th Feb 2012
  • 1,202 Views, 31 Comments

fixing a pinkie promise - The Drifting Bard



it's never easy, leaving the ones you love behind.

  • ...
7
 31
 1,202

finding the mising peice

the beginning of something magical


the sounds of the birds echoed from the outside.
The scratching of pen on paper proved that a writer can never truly sleep.
I took a glance across the room, the house was quiet.

And I hated it.

I remember when I first arrived here, the first mare I met was seemingly snobbish, but she had an air of generosity about her. I chuckled when she introduced herself.
“Rarity? Seriously? Forgive me if I come up with any puns involving your name at any given point in time” she gave me a slightly distasteful look, but then noticed my Cutie mark, a simple quill and bass clef.
“so what is your name then, my good”
“my name is blueberry bass, just call me bass” I smiled, I was suddenly bundled into by a Pink blur.
“oh hey Rarity, have you seen the new Stallion around town?”
Rarity simply cleared her throat and point down towards me. “umm…. Hi there”
I watched as she gasped and lifted off.

That was the first time I met her, a small conversation was made between two ponies… interrupted by pure chaos.
I had trotted off down to the local bakery, Sugarcube Corner. Upon opening the door I heard the tinkle of a bell. “oh, hello dear, cant say I’ve seen you before”
I chuckled. “well, new place,” I gestured around myself “new face” then pointed to my face. I heard the melodic laughter coming from the kitchen.
It was the pink blur from before. “hey, you sounded just like one of my friends”
I raised an eyebrow. “zebra? Speaks in rhyme?”
She gasped, “how did you know?”
“yup, Zecora” I sighed, history has a tendancy to sneak up on me like… well… history.

I bought a cupcake and carried on my little adventure, floating up the cupcake with my magic. I took a bite. The flavour of the cupcake hit me like a wave of chocolate and strawberry. After I finished the cupcake, I was hit with inspiration.
Not to blow my own horn, if you pardon the unicorn pun, but being a lyricist has its perks. I quickly dashed off home, in search of my quill and parchments.

Upon my arrival, I was bombarded with a tremendous shout of “SURPRISE!”
I saw the banner, and smiled nervously. they watched as I began to hyper ventilate. I walked out and stopped, shutting the door behind me.
“too many ponies…. Holy….non-sequitor….” My breath started to slow down, but I watched as ponies came pouring out of my house.
They looked disappointed, others looked angry.
“she put a lot of time and effort into this, you jerk” a cyan Pegasus hit me in the head.
“s-s-sorry” I was shaking like a leaf.
“Rainbow, why did you do that” a Stetson wearing pony began to berate the cyan mare.
I walked in to see the pink blur taking down her hard work.
“miss?” she didn’t look at me. I trotted over to her.

She looked up at me for a moment. That’s when I recognized her for the first time.
“Pinkamena?” her head snapped up.
“Nopony’s called me that in long time” she sniffled.
I placed a hoof on her shoulder for a mille-second before retracting it again.
She turned to look at me, and finally recognized me.

“Bass?” she was surprised, genuinely surprised.
“yeah, its me” I had pulled her into a hug “look… I’m sorry for… well”
she placed a hoof on my lips, telling me to shut up.
“when you left the village… I didn’t know what to do, I found my calling shortly after… but….” Her mane was straight, just like I remembered it.
I always joked that when she finds her cutie mark, she’s be happy as anything.
“you got your mark then?” I was subconsciously eying her flank, taking note of her balloons. I suddenly heard a small inflating sound. Looking over to her, I saw her mane was slightly poofed up.

“ever since I left, I’ve been hating myself, Pinkie…”
her Striking blue eyes gazed into mine, she could see I wasn’t lying. “I found out why”
she remained silent. She closed her eyes, trying to stop a flow of tears.
“please, don’t do this to me” she spoke.
“P-pinkie”
“please don’t leave me again”
i brought her close to me. “Pinkie… Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye, if I break this promise… then I will die … first song I wrote”
she gazed at me, she wanted to say something.

The sound of a balloon being blown up was heard once again.
“you were one of the best friends I had” she said to me.
I didn’t know what to say.

It was then that I was metaphorically punched in the head.
My heart began to race. sure hope this works
I silenced her.
I held her in my arms.
I kissed her passionately.
She returned the sentiments.

“Pinkie Pie, the reason I hated myself was because I left you” I stated.
A blush was visible on her pink fur.
“shall we… try the party again?”
she smiled.
“I think I’d like that a lot”
we were laid outside, watching the stars.

I grew to hate the silence, simply because it wasn’t disrupted by Pinkie Pie.
The songs… they no longer needed writing.
I had a song embedded in my heart.
The ballad of Pinkie Pie, it was never-ending.

I placed my pen down on the paper, and climbed into bed, the sight of that poofy pink-mane sending my heart a-flutter.
“Goodnight Pinks” I kissed her on the forehead.
The sight of her so still, apart from her breathing made me fall asleep.


I awoke at sunrise. I craned my head to prevent the light hitting her eyes.
I continued to stroke her mane lovingly…
She had opened her eyes, looking at me bashfully.
“I suppose we had better talk to my friends”
I sighed, “that Cyan Pegasus certainly won’t cut me any slack”
“Well, its Dash, what do you expect?”

“one of these” I kissed her.
“aaaaand one of these” she shoved a Cupcake in my mouth as I leant in for a second smooch.
The room was filled with her melodic laughter once more.
I sighed and blew a strand of my mane out of my face… and then joined in the laughter.


at least... that was one of the scenario's floating around in my head....
a scenario that was far from the truth.... so far fromt the truth that it hurt....