• Published 13th Feb 2012
  • 1,203 Views, 31 Comments

fixing a pinkie promise - The Drifting Bard



it's never easy, leaving the ones you love behind.

  • ...
7
 31
 1,203

putting the pieces together

there was a distant sound on a distant day of a distant year....


5 years ago, the long road to no-where in particular

i left the village, cold and alone.
i had nothing left for save the memories.
the memories of her, had i known that she was leaving.
for a young Colt, i was more of an adult than any of the others.
it was apparant that not alot of ponies actually cared what i did.
i continued walking, occasionally stopping to find shelter from the rain.

hearing the sounds of a barrow being drawn through the rain, i jumped out.
"Excuse me sir, could i grab a lift?" i asked.
the old stallion simply smiled. "sure, i could use the company but... arent you a little bit young to be out on your own"
"no sir, i'm just... well... Orphaned really" i summed up the best i could.
"hop in the back, i'll take you to the nearest City"


the streets of manehatten, 2 years ago

it had been roughly 3 years since i left Colten, making my new home under the stars....
scratch that, there were no stars to be seen in Manehatten, the city itself was overflowing with light.
i used to sing on the sidewalks for money, completly accapella. when one mare or stallion would through a coin my way, i simply smiled, thanked them and carried on. others would pay me to shut up and move on.
but then again, most simply walked on by. i sighed.
i wasnt the best singer in the world, i knew that... but i had saved up enough to buy myself a steel string acoustic guitar.
i took up my usual spot and sat down.

i began to play.

Ponyville Hospital, Present day

i played the same song i played two years ago.
it relaxed me, reminded me of what i was here for.
the Nurse had finally stopped listening to the music, "so, how long have you been playing for?"
"eh... two years" i didnt go further.
"really? thought it would have been longer than that" she placed a tray on my lap.
"oh, erm...thank you" i blushed slightly at the hidden compliment.
i after slowly destroying a meal, i stared wistfully out the window.
three more days and i was free.


it had been three days.
i had finally arrived at my new home, all my things were already there...
considering i hadnt really got alot to put in the house at all.
i sat down on the floor, feeling glad i didnt go and spend all the money earned from the busking days.
"thank the heavens i was a savvy saver" i mirthed to myself.
there was a knock on the door.
i got up and answered. "Hello, My name is Derpy Hooves," i looked at her for a moment, she was a pegasus.
but then i noticed her eyes, a golden yellow colour, and strangely unfocused.
"ummm hi, im Blueberry Bass" i smiled.
"you noticed my"
"eyes, sorry.... but they inspired a song" i smiled weakly.
she raised an eyebrow. "wha? -welcome to Ponyville, either way"she trotted off.

i began to write.
not knowing a pair of striking Blue eyes filled with tears, watching me.