• Published 28th May 2013
  • 2,062 Views, 92 Comments

Luna's Lessons - Rhonie8k



Luna has returned after 1000 years of banishment but in a foalish state. To prevent her from being ruined by the nobles and to learn about her new world, Celesitia sends her sister to Ponyville.

  • ...
1
 92
 2,062

Nightmare Night?

Luna walked with curiosity as she passed the houses decorated with spider webs, skeletons, ghosts, and gourds. It started a few days ago with one house. Each day since had more houses and even some buildings that only hosted businesses, decorated with this strange new trend.

“Maybe Lyra can spread some light on this. I’ll ask her when she gets back tomorrow”

In no hurry to get home the alicorn decided to take the scenic route back to the arcade. Just wandering the town looking at the decorations turning this way and that down the winding streets of residential Ponyville. Soon it was sunset and Luna decided it was time to get home. She turned one last corner and nearly bumped into a familiar, timid pegasus and her bunny companion. In her attempt to avoid stumbling over the pair she fell to the ground next to them.

“Oh my! I’m so sorry. I got caught up in these fascinating decorations and forgot to watch where I was going.” The alicorn got up and dusted herself off with her wings.

“Oh, no it was all my fault. I was just standing in the middle of the path, right at the corner even, not thinking of anypony but myself.” Fluttershy's yellow coat went red with embarrassment at having caused the princess of the night to fall to the ground.

“Fluttershy, right? Can I ask you about these decorations?”

“Oh umm, hmmm.” The pegasus began to quiver on the spot, still making barely audible sounds.

“Oh, I’m sorry I didn’t mean to upset you. I was just curious; all my friends are in Manephis and I didn’t know who to ask. I’ll just be going then.” The princess of the night started to walk away, still confused, when the pegasus started using practical words once again.

“It's…. its… for ngmrnyt.”

Luna stopped, turning back to listen to the pegasus.

“I’m sorry I didn’t quite catch that.”

“Nightmare Night.” She squeaked out.

“Nightmare Night?” The princess’s face contorted into a look of confusion

“It's a holiday based on the story of the mare in the moon.” She shifted nervously “Which was you.” The pegasus paused for a long moment as if she didn’t want to continue. After a bit of prodding from her rabbit, she swallowed hard and continued. “Every Autumn ponies everywhere have a festival leading up to Nightmare Night. On Nightmare night colts and fillies dress up and collect candy to give to the mare in the moon so they don't get eaten in their sleep.” Her voice was shaky and broken by the time she finished the tale.

The alicorn stood in awe, eyes wide and jaw dropped. “So every year foals dress up and collect sugary treats to offer me so I don’t kidnap and eat them during the next year?”

The pegasus nodded. “That's how it started at least. Nowadays it's mostly foals collecting candy for themselves.”

“Thank you for your help Fluttershy, I am most grateful. It's getting a bit late, we should both be getting on our way home.”

Luna waved at the duo and turned towards the arcade. She had a letter to write.

Finding out you have a holiday dedicated to you didn’t know about is always going to be shocking, but when you learn its roots are grounded in the fact that you foalnap and eat the fillies and colts who didn’t bring you candy, it hits you a little harder. Even under the influence of Nightmare Moon going out of the way to harm foals was unthought of. The biggest problem was the fact that your own sister let this tradition continue for so long. In addition to, again, forgetting to let you in on something so important.

Dearest Celestia,

I have just been informed that my banishment has resulted in a holiday. It has come to my attention that for many years the children of our land were under the impression that I would steal them from their parents and eat them if they didn’t give me sweets. I am going to ask Twilight more about this tomorrow, but it sounds like you didn’t do much to dispel the rumors. So take this note as a warning. If after my research I conclude that you did too little to dispel the myths about my eating of children, I will find a way to get back at you.

Signed,
Your Worst Nightmare Luna