• Published 28th May 2013
  • 2,063 Views, 92 Comments

Luna's Lessons - Rhonie8k



Luna has returned after 1000 years of banishment but in a foalish state. To prevent her from being ruined by the nobles and to learn about her new world, Celesitia sends her sister to Ponyville.

  • ...
1
 92
 2,063

Sofa's and Speaking

“Sorry girls I’m all out of quills. You’ll have to check back on Monday.” The stallion spoke with a hint of boredom, as he paged through the book on the counter he stood behind.

“We thought this store sold sofas?” The princess inquired with a hint of annoyance. She looked at Lyra. “Sister gave us enough quills to last a year.”

The stallion perked up at this new knowledge. Suddenly he was on their side of the counter ready to show them his wares.

“Nopony has been in for a sofa in months! It's a blessing I was born to sell quills and not just sofas or I’d have gone out of business ages ago. Are you lovely ladies in the market for anything specific?” The stallion was practically bouncing through the store leading them past all the different shapes and sizes of sofas.

“Well, we're looking for a futon. Something for company to sit on that we can turn into a bed at night.” Lyra responded feeling a little unease. This pony was a little too happy.

“Trouble in paradise you two?” The stallion said with a chuckle.

“Lyra what does he mean by that?” Luna gave her friend a questioning look. “The climate here is hardly topical like paradise is typically depicted. Do we look as if we returned from vacation?”

“Um, Luna, he thinks we are a couple. A romantic couple. One that needs a sofa for one of us to sleep on because things aren’t working out at the moment.” Lyra’s face was pink with embarrassment as she tried to explain this delicately to the alicorn.

“YOU HAVE SOME NERVE SIR!” Luna said slapping the salespony. Her casual smile faded, quickly replaced with a bitter scowl.

“I’m so terribly sorry. I didn’t mean any offense.” The stallion rubbed his face. “For my mistake, I will take twenty, no make that thirty percent off whatever model you decide upon. I’m not judging anypony’s lifestyle, I was simply making an observation. A terribly incorrect one at that.” The stallion was trying his best to shy away from Luna. They arrived at the futon section and the stallion stepped back, allowing them a closer look.

Over the next hour the duo tried sitting on each couch, Lyra in a variety of different manners, a few which seemed uncomfortable to Luna. After each had been tested for seating Lyra tried each out as a bed. The two exchanged a few whispers before coming to a decision.

“We have decided. We want the large pink one.” Luna spoke flatly, still annoyed with the salespony.

“A lovely choice, after your discount that will be three-hundred and fifteen bits. Just fill out this form and It will be delivered this afternoon. Ignore the delivery charge as a further token of my apology.” The stallion gave Luna a form and a rather extravagant quill.

Luna quickly scribbled the address of the arcade before returning the form and making a hasty exit with Lyra quick behind.

***

*Knock Knock*

Luna opened the arcade door to find a grey pegasus in a delivery uniform. She had a friendly smile face. and a large box on her back.

“Are you Princess Luna?” The pegasus asked cheerfully.

Luna nodded and returned her smile.

“Wow, you are a princess!” The pegasus replied with excitement; taking her first good look at Luna, despite the fact only one eye was even focused on the night goddess. “I’ve never met a princess before. My name is Derpy, your majesty. I deliver all sorts of things for the ponies in Ponyville. I have a few boxes here for you from Quills and Sofas. You just tell me where to go and I’ll deliver them.”

“Please just call us Luna. We shall assist you with the boxes.” Luna grabbed the two boxes sitting next to Derpy in her magic and led the mare through the arcade and up the stairs.

They set the assorted box in the now-empty corner of the apartment to the right of the door. Lyra was just coming out of the bathroom and her eyes widened at the sight of the grey deliverymare.

“You have our thanks Derpy and we’re sure Lyra thanks you as well,” Luna spoke as she began to open the boxes in search of the assembly manual.

“Luna, why do you keep addressing yourself like that?” Derpy asked with foal-like enthusiasm.

“We are certain we don’t understand.” Luna had paused her search to decipher this new query. Her full attention was on Derpy now.

“Well when I address myself I use words like I or me, and I think that's how most ponies speak. You were using words like we and our which is what ponies use when they are including other ponies. I’m pretty sure you’re just one pony but I guess I could be wrong.” The whole time she was talking Derpy was pawing at the floor nervously.

Luna was confused, did everypony not understand why royalty spoke as such?

“It is the royal we.” It suddenly clicked with Luna that Celestia had not used the majestic plural since her return. “Curse that sister of ours.” Luna sighed. “It has come to our attention just now that as with many things we remember it may be outdated. I am very glad you said something Derpy, few ponies would have the courage to ask such a question to a princess.” The princess gave the pegasus a reassuring smile.

“Well gee, I didn’t know I was being brave, I was just wondering. I can stay and help you assemble the sofa if you want. This was my last delivery today.” Derpy returned the princess's smile, although she still held an air of confusion.

“Thanks for the offer Derpy, but we can handle it. Shouldn’t you get home to Dinky?” Lyra chimed in before Luna could speak. She opened the large window and gestured for Derpy to follow.

“Golly you have a point. I’ll see you around Luna. It was nice seeing you again Lyra.” The mare took flight and flew full speed toward the window.

*Thud*

The pegasus missed the window and hit the wall just to the left. Luna gasped. Lyra helped her up and onto the window sill.

“I’m ok. It happens a lot.” From the window sill, the mare took flight once again and flew off down the street.

“That mare, sweet as she is, is an accident waiting to happen. You gotta love her, but she breaks just about anything she touches. If she stayed to help we would have had to buy a replacement futon.”

Luna nodded. After seeing her departure and recalling the letter she sent to the dinner party, Luna knew her friend was probably right.

“Lyra, what Derpy said has got us, no not us, has got me thinking. It’s time to abandon the majestic plural. We need your help though. We, as in you and I, as well as Vinyl and Octavia when they get back, need to start paying more attention to my speech pattern. If the royal we is used it must be pointed out or we will never truly fit in with other ponies.” Luna spoke carefully already trying her hardest to adopt the new manner of speaking, not entirely successfully.

Lyra was only half listening. She had found the manual and was already at work assembling her new bed. Lyra always enjoyed putting things together, but it wasn’t something she got to do often.

“That sounds easy enough.” She had about a fourth of the frame put together already. “Can you unbox the mattress for me? This shouldn't take too long to put together.”

Luna made her way to the large box Derpy carried up. She undid the tape that held the box closed. She took the lid off to find the fluffy pink cushion they ordered. Luna decided she would lie on it while Lyra finished up. She used her magic to collect her writing equipment.

Dearest Sister,

I am mad at you. It was pointed out to me today by a very kind deliverymare that the majestic plural is highly outdated. I do wish you had mentioned this, we have been using it since our return. I can’t stay angry at you though. Lyra is setting up the futon frame now. I must thank you for convincing Joysticks to agree to this. I should finish up here, as it's our turn to feed Twitch.

Signed,

Princess Luna Goddess of the Night

Luna sent the letter and made her way toward Twitch’s cage. Twitch’s cage was sitting on the border of the sitting and kitchen area. The squirrel was currently asleep in a hammock Lyra set up for him. Luna quietly opened the cage and retrieved his food and water dishes. The squirrel didn’t move at all. She closed the cage and took the trays to the sink. She freshened his water and filled his food before returning them to the cage. She opened the cage and returned the bowls to their stations.

“ALL RIGHT IT'S ALL FINISHED!!” Lyra shouted as she set the mattress into place.

Twitch was jolted awake. He made a mad dash out the open cage door and right up into Luna’s mane.

A chill ran up Luna’s spine but she didn’t panic. She took a deep breath to calm herself.

“Mr. Twitch we have told you already, our mane is not a playground.” Luna was stern with the squirrel,l but not cruel.

The squirrel hopped down and ran to Lyra with some annoyed chattering.

“Not that Twitch here is likely to know the difference but you used the royal we again,” Lyra said with a chuckle. She cheerfully invited Twitch into her mane and settled down on the new couch.

Luna let out a large sigh. This was going to be harder than she thought.

“We’re going to bed.” The princess mumbled as she retreated to her bed and hid beneath the covers.

Author's Note:

Are you at all curious about this universes Bon Bon and her special brand of crazy? Well you're in luck dear reader because she has her own side story where you can catch a brief glimpse of her life.

I Love You Lyra

This isn't just a plug for that story. Although do think if you're enjoying this this that you might enjoy that one as well. I just feel its important to mention it because Bon Bon is a big part of the next chapter and the second chapter of I Love You Lyra is a tied into it.

It's not required read of course and from this story alone you will get a glimpse of Bon Bon and how her mind works but I still thought it a good idea to point it out.