• Published 28th May 2013
  • 2,062 Views, 92 Comments

Luna's Lessons - Rhonie8k



Luna has returned after 1000 years of banishment but in a foalish state. To prevent her from being ruined by the nobles and to learn about her new world, Celesitia sends her sister to Ponyville.

  • ...
1
 92
 2,062

Games, Trains, and Automatic Reactions

"Luna stop shining that light in my face. I need a few more minutes of sleep.” Lyra pulled the covers back over her face and buried it in the pillow. Minus the light in her eyes, this was paradise.

The call was enough to shake Luna from her slumber. She chuckled to herself. The futon was not nearly as comfortable as her bed. She had not realized how perfect her bed was until now. She had to admit though, that not having the sun in her eyes was almost a fair trade.

“It’s the sun Lyra. I don’t even control the moon anymore. We can write my sister if you want to make a formal complaint.” Luna was up making her morning tea as she taunted the unicorn.

“Curse Celestia and her morning sun.” The unicorn rolled off the bed with a sigh. “That was the most perfect night's sleep until it ended too soon.” The unicorn had joined Luna in the kitchen area wearing the look of somepony who lost their most prized possession. “Well, past is past. Thanks for offering your bed to me. I know you just wanted to try the futon. So what did you think?” She asked preparing herself some tea.

“It is easier to wake up happy when you’re not being dragged from paradise,” Luna said calmly sipping her tea. “We should get ready soon. Twilight Sparkle recommended a cafe the other night. We wish to dine there before boarding the train.” Luna said with unbound excitement.

“You mean the one across from where my old house?” Lyra questioned. “They do make a tasty dandelion sandwich. I couldn’t find a pet sitter so Twitch is coming with us. I checked with the hotel and it’s okay, as long as he stays in his cage.” The unicorn finished her tea and began gathering the few items she needed for the trip and putting them in her new suitcase. “There is no way I’m losing to that bunny again!” Lyra said throwing a hoof in the air.

The night princess chuckled as she packed her bag. This would be her first tournament. She shivered excitedly at the thought. The pair had been practicing at every possible chance, this increased since the unicorn moved in. The last time they saw Vinyl, even she warned them about pushing their limits. The pair chuckled at the remark but they made sure to get a good night's rest last night. Today was almost non-stop till the tournament finished. The pair figured it would be best to rest up.

***

“We should get going or we will miss the train,” Luna remarked as she dug through her saddlebag for a few bits to leave as a tip. The sandwich had been everything she had expected and more.

Lyra gathered her suitcase and the cage housing the sleeping squirrel with an affirmative nod. The train would depart in half an hour. Leaving now would ensure the best seats. The pair made their way to the train unaware they were being followed by a cream-colored mare with a dark brown mane and tail.

The pair settled into a half-full compartment near the back of the train. Lyra set her lyre on the seat next to her as she stored the rest of her things in the baggage compartment above. She hadn’t practiced since she moved in, and it showed in her work performances. She was performing a couple’s ball in a few weeks. She decided she would use the train ride to practice some of the love songs she was expected to play. This was a new experience for the unicorn, she was never big on gushy romance. She desperately needed the work. Neither princess was expecting her to pay half the, now steeper, rent. She was no pony’s charity case. If she had to fight the bits into the royal treasury she would.

***

Bon Bon followed the couple at a respectable distance. She was well-practiced in tailing somepony without their knowledge. Even so, she decided to use some mane dye to disguise herself this time. She watched as they boarded the train, taking note of which car they entered. She quickly made her way to the ticket counter and purchased an overpriced, last-minute ticket. She boarded the same car she saw them enter, but from the front instead. She carefully crept passed the seats till she spotted them. She slid into an empty seat that gave her a perfect view of Lyra. Without the knowledge she was there they would never realize it was her.

Lyra had her instrument ready and was doing warm-up exercises. Bon Bon loved it when she played and closed her eyes to listen. The whistle blew before Lyra could get started and the train departed.

"Every second I'm with you lights a fire in my heart.
I fear the thought of even a moment we're apart.
I'd fight a dragon for your smile and the heavens for your kiss
Every moment I'm with you is pure and utter bliss"

Bon Bon’s eyes widened as the song finished. Lyra never played romantic gigs, but that had most certainly been a love song. Lyra was fawning over this new mare so much she was even playing her love songs. Bon Bon had to act soon, and she saw her opportunity heading her way.

“Would you like a refreshment?” The mare pushing the refreshment cart asked in a sweet voice.

“That sounds lovely! Let me check my coin purse real quick first.” Bon Bon said turning around quickly and bumping the cart with her backside. “Oh no! I’m so sorry.” Bon Bon’s face was filled with fake shock.

The food traveled a few seats down before crashing into the alicorn it was aimed at. All of its contents fell on the princess. She was quickly covered in coffee, pastries, and several different types of grass for travelers ordering sandwiches. Bon Bon smiled slyly when she knew all eyes were on Luna.

***

Luna clapped her hooves as Lyra finished her song.

“Oh, Lyra your music delights me.” Luna cheered.

A food cart came speeding down the aisle, and neither pony noticed.

The food cart slammed into the side of Luna’s seat and emptied its contents onto the princess. There was grass, pastries, and coffee. Burning hot coffee.

“SWEET SISTER CELESTIA! IT BURNS WITH THE WHITE-HOT INTENSITY OF A THOUSAND SUNS!!” It took all the dignity and grace she could manage to refrain from yelling obscenities.

Shock briefly plagued Lyra’s face as she watched the scene unfold. When she snapped herself back into reality she quickly jumped to action. She found some napkins and began trying to clean the burned, distraught princess.

***

Bon Bon watched as Lyra started rubbing the princess's flank with napkins. Her smile quickly faded.

“This may be harder than I thought.” The mare muttered to herself.

***

“It was so nice of the train staff to give us a private car in first class after all that trouble we had,” Lyra said setting her suitcase on one of the beds. “We don’t have any time to settle in here though. Grab what you need and be quick about it.” She was looking at Twitch as she sat his cage on the nightstand. “I’m going to bring Twitch along. I know they have let Angel in before so I can't see how they could say anything about him. Besides, he will just stay in my mane most of the time anyway. I just hate the idea of leaving him alone while we’re gone for so long.” She opened the cage and the squirrel made a mad dash for her mane. “You have to be quiet though little buddy. Just until we are outside.”

The trio took another look around the room. When they were sure they had everything they departed.

***

Bon Bon waited for the “loving” couple to exit the hotel. This plan was perfect if the rumor was true. She remembered a rumor about Luna’s love affair with nachos. She couldn't control herself. Bon Bon had found a nacho vender and suggested he park his cart outside the hotel. When the princess emerged she would make a fool of herself and lose Lyra’s affection. The only thing that could go wrong was having been misinformed. The anxious mare prayed to Celestia the information was sound.

***

Luna’s eyes went wide as the group exited the hotel.

“Common street vendors sell the food of the heavens here?” Luna questioned with excitement.

“Oh yeah. You really like nachos don’t you?” Lyra asked chasing her friend to the nacho stand.

A shadowy figure grinned in the distance.

“Well, they may the greatest invention in all of Equestrian history,” Luna told her friend before turning her attention to the vendor. “Two please.”

The nacho vendor set to work making two trays of nachos. When they were ready he turned his attention back to the mares. A squirrel darted out of the lighter-colored mane, startling the stallion. He dropped the trays and they went flying. Landing on the mares' heads.

Luna just laughed and grabbed a chip off Lyra’s face. She ate it with a smile. Lyra returned the favor smile and all. Luna gave the vendor a few bits for the nachos, plus a hefty tip for Twitch’s actions; and took a few napkins for the road. The two mares took off for the arcade at a brisk pace occasionally grabbing chips from the others' faces.

****

Bon Bon sighed at the display, two ponies eating nachos off each other's faces. Nothing she could think of would break them up. She resumed tailing the couple; in hopes that a new plan would come to her. That's when she saw the squirrel. Lyra loved that squirrel. Maybe she could use the squirrel to cause a rift between them.

****

Lyra just finished her quarter-final match. It was closer than she cared to admit. It would have been embarrassing to lose to a kid like that. Luna was tearing things up in her matches, but there was nothing to worry about. Lyra decided to break from the crowd and catch her breath. She spotted the yellow pegasus by whom Angel was always escorted alone in the corner. Lyra approached her.

“How are you?” Lyra asked with a warm smile.

The pegasus tried to shrink back without a response. She cowered behind the veil of hair that was her mane. Lyra thought about speaking again but decided against it. Just as Lyra made to leave, Twitch poked his head out and made a chattering sound at the pegasus.

It was suddenly like a different mare occupied the same space. In place of the nervous pegasus cowering away and praying not to be seen, a wide-eyed mare beaming with excitement was making her way towards the unicorn.

“Well aren’t you the cutest little squirrel? Yes, you are, yes you are.” The pegasus cooed. “What’s the little guy's name?” She was making eye contact with Lyra now.

“His name is Mr. Twitch, but when he behaves himself we just call him Twitch.” Lyra was a little taken back at the other mare's sudden enthusiasm. Twitch jumped from his perch on her shoulder, onto this new mare's back, and into her mane. Lyra’s eye grew in fear. “BAD MR. TWITCH COME OUT OF THERE! YOU KNOW WE DON’T CLIMB ON STRANGERS!”

The pegasus mare giggled and raised a hoof to pet the squirrel, who popped out of her mane with a sad look on his face.

“It's alright Twitch, I don’t mind, you stay in there as long as you like.” She spoke softly to soothe the ashamed squirrel before turning to Lyra. “I mean... if that's okay with you.” Her voice was now barely a whisper.

“I’m okay with it. I didn’t expect you to be or I wouldn’t have yelled.” Lyra was visibly confused at this point.

“Um, would it be okay, I mean if it's not too much trouble that is, could I maybe take Twitch to the park across the street?” The pegasus stammered in her faint whisper of a voice.

“I don’t usually let strangers run off with my pet; I’m Lyra. Now if you introduce yourself we won’t be strangers anymore.” Lyra said with a chuckle.

“I’m Fluttershy.” The pegasus managed to squeak out.

“Well Fluttershy, I remember reading in the paper you helped restore my good friend Luna to herself. Granted that was a little while before I met her. You are the element of kindness. Based on those facts I have no choice but to trust you.” Lyra was smiling, but the pegasus seemed to be hiding again. “You two have fun. The semi-finals are starting soon and my match is first, so I need to check-in.” She waved her hoof as a last goodbye before moving back into the crowd.

***

Bon Bon was waiting outside the arcade, as she had no plan. She just needed to get that squirrel. Someone was coming out of the arcade. It was Fluttershy. They had never formally met but Bon Bon had seen her around Ponyville. Why would she be in Baltimare let alone at this arcade? It seemed so out of character. Oh no, she was coming this way!

“Um excuse me. I think you dropped something.” Said a soft angelic voice.

Bon Bon looked down, her scarf had fallen off; she quickly picked it up and put it back on.

“Thank you.” Bon Bon couldn’t help but stare. Up close this pegasus was the most beautiful mare she had ever seen, even more, beautiful than Lyra. Then there was that angelic voice, she was amazing.

“That scarf is a Rarity original, isn’t it? You should be more careful with it. If she ever found out you would be in serious trouble.” Fluttershy giggled. “Twitch stop that tickles.”

Bon Bon’s ears pricked at the name. Then she saw it, the squirrel she had been after. He stuck his head out of Fluttershy’s pink mane. She didn’t care if Lyra married princess Luna, her sister, or both anymore. Bon Bon was in love with the angel that stood before her.

***

Lyra managed to score a pretty easy semi-final, a relief after the last round. Luna wasn’t so lucky. They both knew it would happen. One of them would have to face him at some point and that time was now. It was one-to-one and the third round was about to start.

Luna took an early hit. She returned the favor. Acid spit attack lands. Hit by a horn jab. Land a bite and another acid spit. Take back-to-back levitation slams.

The battle was close. Way too close Lyra was nervous for her friend.

Tail spike, acid spit, dodge. That was a power buck it would have hurt. Claw swipe, power tail slap.

“FINISH HER!”

Luna grinned wickedly. She quickly entered the button sequence she had been practicing. The dazed unicorn quickly shrank to a young foal. She used her magic to shake a rattle, before losing her grip and having it fall on her face, causing her to cry.

“FOALTALITY, SCARLET SCALES WINS!”

Luna offered her hoof to the bunny. Angel hesitated before begrudgingly shaking it and quickly letting go. He departed in a huff to locate his handler. Fluttershy, as it just so happened, was making her way back inside. Twitch hopped out of the pegasus’s mane and made his way back to his owner. The bunny proceeded to throw some sort of fit before dragging the yellow mare back to the streets.

Luna made her way over to her friend and gave her a nod. Soon one of them would be a winner, and the other would just be the runner-up.

***

Lyra sat her trophy on the large table with a sigh. They were back in the room Twitch was asleep in his cage. She had won the tournament after so many failed attempts, it just didn’t feel right.

“Cheer up Lyra you beat me fair and square! you know I wouldn’t let you win.” Luna tried reassuring her friend.

“Oh, I know that. It's just I told myself last time I would beat him; and well, I didn’t get to. You did.” Lyra replied as she settled into bed.

“There is always next time. Take your victory with pride, but don’t let it go to your head. We will all be even better next time.” Luna yawned as she pulled her covers up.

Silence hung in the air as both ponies and their squirrel all slipped into a peaceful slumber. Tomorrow held many new, unexpected and exciting possibilities.