• Published 24th May 2013
  • 1,007 Views, 48 Comments

Maybe for the last... - Fat1thatyoulove



Part 34-36 to the Maybe series Follow the main character thought his newest trails as he tries to better understand the power he possess. And how it affects the ones he loves.

  • ...
6
 48
 1,007

Chapter 5

Chapter 5 – Never too...

"There you guys are." Rainbow floats herself back to her hooves as she stands in the middle of the group of her friends as you Twilight and Spike get closer, "...None of us could get anything out of these ponies."

Applejack speaks up as she holds her hoof out, "Ya these ponies are plumb right just not thinking straight."

The cyan pegasus cuts her friend off as her tomboyish voice bounces off the crystal walls around you, "Ya, its like trying to talk to you when you where all memory dumb."

You give an annoyed sigh as you look away to Twilight.

She gives a quick nod as she talks, "It's ok everypony, I think we can find out something if we can get to the library."

Pinkie waves her left hoof in the air as her excited voice beckons to the lavender mare, "OH oh oh Twilight oh Twilight!"

Twilight looks at the pink mare a little confused as she nods, "Yes Pinkie?"

The pink ball of fluff stops her motion as she points her hoof down one of the streets, "Does the library have griffen statutes and look all smart like?" Pinkie gives a wide eyed smile as she waits for a reply.

But the reply doesn't come from Twilight as Rarity blows at the comment, "Pinkie how is any pony supposed to know that?"

"Well its better to start somewhere, we might get lucky." Twilight walks towards her friend as she talks, "Show me where the building was."

Pinkie shakes her head as she hops down the street, "It's thi...-" The ball of fluff everypony follows after stops its happy bounce as you all look to the light blue dome surrounding the city, the magic has started to flicker and as the spell comes back to its solid look it seems like the dome has gotten smaller.

"Lets not waste any time come on!" Twilight motions to Pinkie as the pink ball of fluff starts down the road in a gallop. You follow behind the group as you look over the dome around you...ok king Sombra can control a few clouds and make a city disappear...thats nothing to seven ponies and a small dragon right?

You push the sour thought back as you continue down the road.

The short gallop is brought to an end as you look over the blue crystal like building in front of you, theres two griffin statues that sit on each side of a staircase. But you're not able to truly take in the sight or the fact that griffins are apparently real in Equestria as you follow the group into the building.

You do however stop in gasp with everypony else as you look to the room laid out in front of you. The building has two stories and slightly resembles the Canterlot library with the dome skylight above, but the biggest difference is that this place is massively huge and every wall seems to be just layered in different shades of colors.

"Theres no way we can find one book in here!" Spike spins himself slowly around the room as he tries to take in the building.

Twilight trots towards the center of the room as she follows his motion with her own head swirls around the room, "...We have to try." She quickly turns around as she talks, "Ok everypony we need to find a book that has anything to do with the crystal empire, ok?"

Everypony splits up as they head in different directions around the library. You on the other hand continue to move your eyes around the room, this is hopeless. How can we find one book or even a few books in a library that no one has been to?!

Twilight seems to have picked up on your stare as she talks in a low voice, "We have to try something..."

You quiver your mouth to her as you try to understand her reasoning, but you push any negative thoughts back as you shake your head with a smile, "This is what you guys do right?"

Twilight gives a smile as she nods her head, "Come on, we don't have time to lose."

You give a slow exhale as you follow behind her.

- - -

The library has become a cluster of books in only a matter of minutes as you all look through the books, you don't know how it started but for every book that isn't something to do with crystals or ponies you have all started to just chuck to the ground. For the most part you have kept your mind a bay from the looming darkness just outside of the barrier. You really can't tell if its because you somehow feel happy that you're a part of one of Twilight's adventures she's talked about or if its because you have finally gone crazy, but whatever it is you like it.

You look over the books that you float past your face as you check each title,The last of us...trash...necromancers...trash...A Colt Tail...trash...You begin to quickly move your head through the book titles as you listen to them plop on the ground behind you, this library has everything about nothing!

You stop your hoovering of the books as you read over one title, "A complete guide to Hoofing" You blink at the title as the rest of the books around you lose there purple grasp. You flip open the first page as you read the usual stuff that starts the books like this, The complete guide to Sombrauim by Starswirl the bearded. You blink over the line in your head as you focus on one word...Sombrau..-

Your thoughts are brought to a halt as you hear Twilight's voice call through the library, "I think I found something!"

You bite down on the book as you start back to the stairs. You look over the pile of scattered books as you think, wow i'm surprised Twilight has not started putting them back yet."

You quickly move over to the group that has gathered around Twilight as she hovers a book in front of her, "The history of the Crystal Empire..."

Everypony is silent as she flips through the pages. But the silence is broken after a few moments as Rainbow speaks up, "Well does it help?"

Twilight puts her hoof on the book hovering in front of her as she reads off the page, "A crystal fair..." She stops at her words as she reads a little more before starting back up, "...It looks like this fair was started by the empires first queen and it was supposed to help restore the feeling of love and unity in the empire so that they could protect it from harm."

You drop the book from your mouth as you listen to her respond, "Thats it? A fair? Thats what stops this city from being taken over!"

Everypony looks at you a little confused as you continue, "Celestia has sent us to a city, put us all in danger for what? To throw a party for it?!"

Your body churns a little as you think over your current situation you stop yourself from continuing as you look away from the group for a moment.

Twilight blinks at you for a moment as she talks in a low voice, "Magic affects everything around us...and if its used correctly yes, it can be used to protect a city...its the same thing that Cadence is doing right now."

You bring your head back to her as she waits for your reply. You nod your head a little as you talk, "alright..."

"Good, now everypony we need to try and get this fair running fast. Rainbow go tell Shining that we found a way to protect the city, that should keep Cadence's magic up while we get this thing ready."

Rainbow takes herself into the air as she talks, "Got it!" She quickly darts herself out of the room as she finishes her comment.

"What about us darling, what do we need to do?" Rarity holds her hoof to the door as she continues, "...Do we need to get all the crystal ponies?"

Twilight bites at her bottom lip for a moment as she look over the book, "There's too much information...and we only have one book..." Her voice picks back up as she talks, "I know i'll use a memory spell, that way we all know what we need to do."

Her horn starts to glow a bright purple before you can bring yourself to speak up. The spell only last a few seconds as the remaining friends head's are covered in a low purple aura. As the spell begins to end Twilight lets out a sigh, "Did it work?"

Applejack nods her head as she nudges Pinkie, "We'll get started on those crystal empire snacks right now."

Rarity cuts in as she follows after the other two mares, "And me and Fluttershy can set up the booths with Rainbow Dash."

"Ok, good...Make sure its by the book we need everything correct if this is going to work..-"

You cut Twilight's voice off as her friends leave the building, "Are you ok?"

She rolls her eyes to your comment as she floats the book over to a nearby table that is not too cluttered with books, "I'm fine."
"Twilight what about me?"

Spike shifts his gaze between her and the door as he waits for an answer.

Twilight gives a giggle as she sits in the chair, "We need to make sure we haven't missed anything." She brings her head back to you as she talks, "What was that book you had?"

You look down to the book that lays open with the spine facing back up at you, "Oh...its nothing." You float the book up as you talk, "Its a hoofing book...I thought we could take it back with us."

Twilight's own purple grasp takes over yours as she hoover the book to her, "Great! This library is full of books that haven't been touched for a thousand years...theres no telling what we could find here." She brings her head to a happy smile as she looks around the room.

You copy her smile as you take a seat next to her, "Well lets make sure we come back...is there anything we missed?"

Twilight snaps her head back to the open book in front of her as she flips through it, "no..I don't think so..." She looks over the pages as she speaks up, "Oh wait..." She puts her hoof to the page as she talks, "It says there is a crystal heart centerpiece..." She turns to Spike as she talks, "Spike could you go and see if Shinning has a crystal I can cut?"

Spike nods as he gets up from the table, "Ok Twilight."

You watch the dragon waddle away for a moment as you look over the book...even though this still seems stupid you're slightly glad that this problem can be fixed with such an easy thing. You give a slight laugh as you think, its a good thing Sombra took all the memories away from these ponies...otherwise they would have thrown this party themselves.

Twilight continues to look over the book but she stops herself from reading through it as she takes the hoofing book in her grasp.

Twilight points her hoof to the page for a moment as she talks in a slightly excited voice, "Look! This book has the whole alphabet in it!"

You move yourself a little closer to her as you read over the book with her. You only take your eyes off the page for a moment as you stare at the still bright blue dome surrounding the city.

End of chapter 5