• Published 24th May 2013
  • 1,007 Views, 48 Comments

Maybe for the last... - Fat1thatyoulove



Part 34-36 to the Maybe series Follow the main character thought his newest trails as he tries to better understand the power he possess. And how it affects the ones he loves.

  • ...
6
 48
 1,007

Chapter 3

Chapter 3 – Heart of the storm

The train you all have taken from Ponyville to Canterlot is now that same train that now is bringing you to your destination...but unlike your first trip this one is not lacking in ponies. Aside from Twilight and her friends the small train cars are bustling with gold plated armoured ponies. The sight of having so many of these suited stallions brings two thoughts into your mind, the first is a slight calming of the mind that at least your not going alone. But the other front and center thought makes you wonder what really awaits you at the end of the tracks.

You drift your head from the warm bright interior of the train as you look out the dark snow wisping window, its not hard to hear the winds that swirl around outside of your enclosed area. Besides from a few spots of snow gathering on the glass you can't see anything. You turn back from the dark gloomy outside world as you listen to the mare beside you.

"...Are there really crystal ponies!?" Rarity pulls at her mane in excitement as Twilight again explains.

"Yes Rarity, there are crystal ponies."

Rarity gives a dramatic faint onto the little dragon that sits beside her.

Rainbow speaks up from her seat across from the white mare, "How come we have never heard of these crystal ponies before this huh?"

Twilight lowers her voice a little as she talks, "Celestia said that the whole city was lost after Sombra was defeated...These ponies have not seen or even heard from any other ponies in a thousand years."

You blink at her comment as you try to take in that fact that anypony could have survived after a thousand years of being well vanished.

Twilight's voice picks up a little as she looks around the car to her friends, "...And that's why we were asked to go, we need to help find a way to protect it...-"

You cut her off as you speak up, "Protect it from what?"

Twilight turns her gaze from her friends and back to you, "Celestia fears that Sombra has returned and that this is why we are getting the freak snow storms."

You try to understand what youre coming up against as you talk, "Sombrero did all of this?"

Pinkie gives a loud laugh as she points her hoof to you, "Its Sombra silly! Not Sombrero...those are fun hats you wear on your head!"

Applejack and Fluttershy give a little smile to Pinkie's snorting laugh as she continues.

You squint at Pinkie as you look her over a bit annoyed, how can she be laughing?! Celestia has just sent us out to protect a whole city that up till now didn't even exist because of this guy! You bite your tongue so that you don't call back to Pinkie as Rainbow speaks up in a tomboyish laugh,

"Ya right Twilight, theres no way one pegasus could move all these clouds without anypony seeing them."

Twilight shakes her head to her friend as she talks, "Rainbow Sombra is not a pegasus, hes a unicorn."

Rainbow stops her laugh as she talks, "But...how can one unicorn do this big of a spell?"

Twilight blinks at her for a few moment before she talks, "I don't know."

You think over her comments as the mixture of annoyance and fear grows in your mind, your voice sparks up in a sharp tone, "Princess Celestia expects us to guard a whole city from an unknown evil unicron?!" You give a sarcastic laugh as you talk, "I-I can't believe you guys are all laughing about this?"

Everypony gives each other a look for a moment before they focus on Twilight. Applejack speaks up for the group as they look to Twilight, "How come Celestia didn't give us the elements of harmony, don’t y’all think we would need um?"

You fixate on Twilight as you wait for her answer.

She gives a low sigh as she talks in a calmed voice, "Celestia would not have asked this of us if she didn't think we could do it." She turns her face to you as she talks, "Theres nothing to wor...-"

Her voice is cut off a little as the train jerked sharply. Everypony is slightly jerked from their seats as they stand. You're the first to talk as you look to Twilight, "Are you ok?"

Twilight rubs at her head as she nods, "Ya, i'm fine..."

One of the armoured stallions pokes his head into the car as he points to the window, "Ms. Sparkle, we're here."

Everypony looks out of their windows as the stallion walks over to the door.

Rarity shakes her head as she talks, "A-are you sure? Its dreadful out there? I thought the crystal empire would be...shinier?"

You stare out of your window as you listen to everypony moving towards the door, the sight outside doesn't look as dark as the snow that you just road through but the sky is still darkened by the clouds and the wind still howls against the glass.

The stallion talks again as he stands near the door, "Are you all ready?"

You follow close to Twilight as she nods her head to her friends, "We're ready."

The stallion nods as he slow starts to open the door to the elements outside. As soon as the door opens the wind from outside picks up in a loud howl, you push in front of Twilight and her friends as you walk out first. You squint your eyes through the swirling snow as you look around the darkened area. You move forward a little as you look to the area around you, the platform you're on looks similar to the train station at Canterlot...but this one is completely covered in snow. Twilight is the next to come out as she talks.

"Ok we need to get to the crystal empire as soon as possible."

You stand beside Twilight still swaying your head around as everypony else follows out.

"Oh, I knew I should had brought more scarfs." Rarity holds a blue tint over her wildly wiping scarf as she looks around the snow covered platform.

Spike rubs his claws over his arms as he talks, "I-I hope the the empire is warmer than this..."

"Twily!"

You all shift your heads to the muffled familiar sounding stallion.

"Shining!" Twilight gives a quick gallop to her brother as she gives him a hug.

Shining moves his large scarf from his muzzle as Twilight moves from her hug. He speaks up a little more as he nods his head, "We need to get moving, there's something out here that we don't want to run into."

You blink your eyes back to the train as you start to follow after Twilight, what the hell? What about the train?

You pick your pace up as you walk beside Twilight.

Shining calls back as he continues his leading through the snow covered ground, "Where not to far! Just a little longer! Once we get there we won't have to worry about anything following us!"

Twilight moves her body a little closer to you as she calls back to her brother, "But Celestia said we need to help protect the city? If its already being protected why would she need us he..-"

Your heart drops a little and Twilight's voice is cut off as you hear a loud howl behind you.

Fluttershy's voice calls out over everypony's sharp gasp as she talks, "It's one of the things!"

You turn yourself around as Shining calls out, "RUN!"

Twilight and her friends are quick as they start up in a gallop. You shift your head back to the group but you don't move for a moment as you look but to the darkening air around you. The snowy wisp seem to be turning a cloudy shade of black as the howling starts to get a little louder.

You still have not started your gallop as you freeze at the growing shadow in front of you. Another loud howl escapes the massing shadiness as two fuzzy bright green like eyes start to form in it. Your mind and body is telling you to run, but you can't bring yourself to do this as the shady mass starts to grow closer to you. Your breaths are starting to fade a little as you struggle to blink at the swirling green pods that have formed in the mist.

"What are you doing!" Shining's yells is followed by a bright purple bolt. The shady mass in front of you quickly is dissolved where the bolt hits it but the two pod like glowing eyes move from the bolt and squint at where you both stand.

Your quickly snapped out of your daze as you feel a tingling sensation over take your body, you follow through the motion as you send a jagged purplely-green blot towards the mass. The bolt strikes against it and a loud howl is sent bellowing through the storm. As the howl reaches its height the simple ice crystals around you start to sharpen and with each gust of wind the snow stings against your body almost like there were tiny needles.

You abandoned your stance as Shining tugs on your mane with his magic, "Lets go!"

The shadow mass that follows you now has spread from just a cloud to more of a wall as it quickly starts to gain on you.

You don't bring your head forward as you gallop full speed ahead.

But even at your full sprint the mass doesn't seem to be losing any distance to you. The snow around you has also changed to a slight cutting like feeling as the wind you push through hits against your coat. You advert your head forward as you close your eyes and try to push yourself harder.

After a moment a low chime is heard around you and the snow around you no longer cuts against you. You slowly bring yourself to a panting stop as you burst your eyes open to the colorful world around you, "W-what?"

Your quickly rushed into a hug as Twilight talks, "What took you two so long?! You were right behind us?"

You still pant a little as you look over the white stallion who now has red marks over his face and coat. He is silent as he catches his breath for a moment, "C...Come on follow me." Shining walks past you as he trots down the grassy hill.

Twilight slowly lets go of her hold as she looks over your coat, "Are you alright?"

You give a quick look over the same marks that Shinning has as you nod your head, "Ya, i'm fine...let’s go."

Twilight follows after the group with you beside her. But you don't keep your eyes focus for long as you look back to the bright blue magic wall you ran through...you can't really see out of its tint but the faint outline of the green eyes can be seen staring back at you.

You still try to calm your breath and mind as you turn back to the group in front of you.

End of chapter 3