• Published 25th May 2013
  • 2,505 Views, 108 Comments

Tenacious Dash - Hipster Cloudchaser



Applejack and Rainbow Dash start a rock band.

  • ...
9
 108
 2,505

Day Three - Exploration

“Come on, Blondie! We’re on a mission!” Rainbow shouted, pouncing on the sleeping form of Applejack and violently awakening her. “There’s treasure out there in that orchard! They say it hides in the trees, and only the most powerful buck can claim it.”

Applejack’s vision focused at last on the strangely eager pegasus. She wore her pith helmet and a cocky grin. Applejack could only wonder where this determination had come from. She turned her head to read her clock. It was 5:30. Applejack was impressed. “Ya seem a might more chipper ‘n last night.”

“Yeah, I mean, why not?” Rainbow explained. “Like, we have all this time alone to think with my job and guitar lessons, so why should we let it bother us while we’re together? I don’t know about you, but I’d much rather enjoy hanging out than pussyhoof around.”

“Ah guess so,” Applejack said with a smile. “We still goin’ ta see Twilight, though?”

Rainbow grinned. “Who better to ask about the secret treasures of the apple trees than Ponyville’s biggest egghead?”

Applejack chuckled. “Maybe the pony with the treasure in her name.”

“Apple Bloom?” Rainbow teased.

Applejack shoved Rainbow off of her and got to her hooves, retrieving her own hat. “Alright, Daring, if’n we’re gonna do this, we’re gonna do it my way, ya hear?”

“Heh, you know that’s what I love about ya, Blondie.” Rainbow began to walk out of Applejack’s room before pausing as something occurred to her. “Uh, I don’t think that came out right.”

“Quit yer worryin’, sugarcube. Ah know what ya meant,” Applejack said, unable to keep a smile off her face. Rainbow returned the smile a bit sheepishly before shaking the thought away.

“We should eat up before we head out,” Rainbow advised. “It’s a long journey from here to that orchard.”

“Ah’m sure ya can handle it,” Applejack chuckled.

“With the awesome food they make around here? I’m sure I’ll manage.”

Applejack followed Rainbow with a new bounce to her step. She was right; they could worry about this at Twilight’s. For now, they could simply enjoy their time together.

“Mornin’, AJ, Rainbow. Yer lookin’ happier today,” Big Mac said from his usual spot on the table behind a newspaper.

“Any leads on the treasure, Mac?” Rainbow asked, sidling up beside him.

Big Mac eyed Rainbow strangely until Applejack caught his eye from behind her. She offered a shrug and a smile. Mac let out a chuckle, resigned to play along. “Ah hear they’re poppin’ up right quick. If’n ya don’ claim em soon, some a’ yer competitors might grab ‘em.”

“What? No way I’m gonna let that happen!” Rainbow turned to Applejack. “Let’s get this breakfast eaten fast; there’s no time to lose!”

“Whatever ya say, Daring,” Applejack giggled.

Over breakfast, Rainbow collected reconnaissance data from the other members of the family. Apple Bloom provided the most interesting lead. “Ah hear that when the time’s right, there’s some special treasure that pops up outta nowhere. And then zap! Before anypony can claim it, it disappears!”

Rainbow’s eyes widened dramatically. “Blondie, we gotta get our hooves on that stuff!”

Applejack nodded. “Ah reckon with that kinda treasure, ya could start up a whole town.”

“Well what are we waiting for, then? Let’s go get that loot!”

Rainbow burst out of the farmhouse with a determined air about her, Applejack following along happily, pausing to grab her saddle baskets.

“There! Do you see it?” Rainbow indicated a tree with fully-ripened apples. “And it’s all ours!”

At that assertion, a pink blur passed by the tree in question and the apples…

“Where’d they go?” Rainbow shot into the air, scanning her surroundings. That’s when she spotted her arch nemesis making away with her apples. She narrowed her eyes. “Candymane.”

Rainbow was off in pursuit, closing in rapidly. She couldn’t let her get away! Not this time.

Pinkie was bouncing along blissfully unaware of the impending danger headed her way. She had done it; taken treasure right from under Daring’s nose like she always wanted. And now she wasn’t even-

Rainbow bowled Pinkie over, snatching the apples before the pink mare could even hit the ground, and she was off. “Hehe, this is fun!” Pinkie bounced along to the next tree.

“I got her, Blondie! But I don’t think she’s gonna give up that easy. We’ve gotta teach her another lesson about messing with us!”

Applejack deposited their plunder in her saddle baskets, nodding in agreement. “Not even Candymane can stand up against both of us.”

Rainbow managed to intercept Pinkie before she could loot another tree, opening a window for Applejack to harvest the fruit. Pinkie watched in horror as all her hard work amounted to nothing after all.

“This isn’t over, Daring!” Pinkie declared, bouncing away in the direction of Ponyville.

“Yeah, we showed her!” Rainbow cheered.

“Did y’all set that up?” Applejack asked.

“Huh? No, I just kinda rolled with it. To be honest, I didn’t even know Pinkie read any Daring Do books.” Rainbow contemplated.

“Ah don’t suppose ya know how she found out, do ya?”

Rainbow looked at Applejack. “It’s Pinkie; I never know how she does anything.”

Applejack chuckled. “Ah hear ya.”

“We’ve still got a lot of treasure to claim, Blondie,” Rainbow stated. “Let’s get to work!”

The work day proceeded in much the same way, minus the appearance of Pinkie.

“Look over there!”

“Ah’m on it, Daring!”

With Rainbow’s shenanigans to add to the experience, Applejack found herself enjoying herself more than she could ever remember while bucking. Rainbow’s sharp eye was also useful in spotting ripe trees from a distance, and her flying abilities let her scout ahead.

“There’s one! A hundred hooves east!”

While Applejack knew every inch of the orchard by heart, having an airborne apple spotter definitely cut down the time. Before long, Applejack had to make a trip to the barn to empty her baskets. Normally on the first day of harvest, she wouldn’t find more than a dozen or so suitable trees, but Rainbow had already led her to at least twice that number, and the day wasn’t even over yet.

“All clear this way! Let’s tackle this clockwise!”

So the two mares made their way in a circle all around the orchard, harvesting every apple they could find. Rainbow even helped with some of the more isolated trees that would have taken Applejack too long to get to. About a quarter of the way through, Applejack returned from her third trip to the barn with a wagon.

“It’ll be easier ta take ‘em back all at once. Ah got yer bit hooked up, too, so yer helpin’.”

Rainbow rolled her eyes. “Please, AJ. It’s the first day of Applebuck Season. How many apples could there be?”

As if Celestia was screwing with her, Rainbow came across a patch of at least two dozen ripe trees all in sight of each other.

“That many, huh?” Rainbow sighed. “Well I hope you at least brought me my own saddle baskets.”

Applejack answered by tossing said equipment at her, which Rainbow had to react quickly to catch and spare herself a headache. “Whaddya take me fer, Darin’? A novice?”

Rainbow shrugged as she donned her saddle baskets. “More like a taskmaster, really.”

“Well then hurry up ‘fore Ah break out the whip!”

“Kinky,” Rainbow quipped, trotting off to leave Applejack flustered and without a means for retribution.

Applejack pulled her hat over her eyes. “Celestia dammit, Rainbow.”

Rainbow didn’t leave Applejack much time to dwell on her friend’s comment, however, as she returned promptly with laden saddle baskets. “Come on, Blondie; pick up the slack, will ya?”

Applejack shook her head, muttering something under her breath. A vague sense of dread came over Rainbow as Applejack wandered off. What’s the worst she can do, right? she reassured herself. The day proceeded without much incident, to Rainbow’s relief, though she hoped that wouldn’t be short-lived.

“I think that’s the last of them!” Rainbow called from above, flying down to join Applejack in next to the wagon. The two had loaded a dozen more basket loads of apples into the wagon, far surpassing any first day of Applebuck Season Applejack had ever been a part of.

“Ya sure do work, Rainbow,” Applejack praised. “With yer help, we might even have Applebuck Season done before the month’s through!”

“You know what else? I was thinking I could probably get the higher ups to assign me the full-time weatherpony for Sweet Apple Acres! How’s that for a full package?”

Applejack grinned. “Whatever weather we want on-demand? We just might have ta keep you ‘round, sugarcube.”

“Yeah, this could be awesome! I should stop by the weather station while we’re out. I’m sure they’ll let Equestria’s greatest weatherpony take a special assignment,” Rainbow gushed.

Applejack shook her head in bewilderment. She never could have hoped she’d get this level of commitment from the labor-phobic pegasus. This could mean great things for the farm if she could convince Rainbow to stay on board after the month was over.

“Ah don’t suppose ya’d consider makin’ this here arrangement a bit longer?” Applejack ventured.

Rainbow smiled. “Applejack, if working on the farm can be this much fun, I might have to consider making this permanent.”

Applejack’s breath caught at that. She started to breathe heavily. The implications were just too much; for Rainbow to want to make her stay here long-term…

“Applejack?”

Unable to take it anymore, Applejack collapsed to the ground.

“Applejack!” Rainbow knelt down at her side. “Take it easy! You didn’t overwork yourself, did you?”

Applejack sat up, unable to look Rainbow in the eye. “Ah’m sorry, Rainbow. Ah promised Ah wouldn’t think about it, but…”

Rainbow’s face softened and gained a light blush. “AJ…”

“Ah know, save it for Twilight’s… It’s just so hard ta ignore, Dash.”

Rainbow placed a hoof on Applejack’s shoulder. “Applejack, relax. I’m not going to do anything that would make you uncomfortable.”

“Ah know ya won’t, Rainbow. It’s just-”

“Hey,” Rainbow interrupted, “I promised we’d get through this, didn’t I?”

Applejack opened her mouth to say something, but thought better of it and nodded.

“Now, we still have a couple hours before lunch,” Rainbow reminded. “Do you want to go see Twilight now or later?”

“Ah think Ah’d like a bit more time ta calm mahself down,” Applejack said.

Rainbow smiled. “Of course.” She opened her arms in an offer of a hug, which Applejack accepted.

“Thanks again for all this, Rainbow. Ya really didn’t have ta.”

Rainbow squeezed her tighter. “What are best buds for, right?”

Applejack smiled, nuzzling into Rainbow’s neck contentedly. Rainbow closed her eyes and sighed. Everything seemed to be looking up.

“Alright, now let’s get this wagon hauled back ta the barn,” Applejack said upon releasing Rainbow.

“Sure thing, AJ.” Rainbow picked her bit up from where it rested on the lip of the wagon, testing the ropes that connected it to said wagon.

“Don’ worry ‘bout it comin’ loose. Ah tested ‘em both ‘fore comin’ out here.”

Rainbow’s eyes widened. This bit had been in Applejack’s mouth? It explained the faint taste of apples. Rainbow blushed, shaking the thought away.

Applejack touched Rainbow on the shoulder. “Ya alright, Rainbow?”

Rainbow shook herself again. “Fine, just… thinking too hard.”

“Careful,” Applejack warned, “ya might hurt yerself.”

Rainbow snorted. “Very funny.”


Next on their list of things to accomplish today was…

“Honestly, Ah thought buckin’ would take us all day. Ah… don’ really know what else ta do.” Applejack grinned sheepishly.

“Has Apple Bloom gotten started on the barn yet?”

Applejack snorted. “Yeah, and she’s refusin’ help. So unless ya wanna deal with a stubborn filly…”

“Eh, maybe not. Anything else need doing around here?”

Applejack thought. “Well, Mac’s out workin’ in the fields, but there’s not much ta do there right now. Ground’s tilled, seeds’re sown…”

“So… nothing, then?”

“Not ‘round the farm, at least,” Applejack confirmed.

Rainbow sat down in the shade of a nearby tree and thought. What now? We’ve got about… Rainbow double-checked the position of the sun, two hours before lunch. And then we’re going to Twilight’s. Actually, we could just cut out the middle mare and have lunch with Twilight. But that doesn’t help me now. Scratch is busy today, so guitar lessons are a no go. Rainbow looked up as Applejack sat next to her. I can’t help but feel I’m forgetting something… And for some reason she started to remember upon seeing her friend.

I’m not forgetting something about Applejack, am I? Rainbow tapped her temple. It’s not her birthday, is it? No, that’s not for another couple months. Rainbow observed that Applejack’s fur had a certain sheen to it despite their earlier activities. It looked… fluffy… and orange… and…

“Scootaloo!”

Applejack jumped at Rainbow’s sudden outburst. “Pardon?”

“Scootaloo; I totally forgot about her flight lessons. I have something to do after all!” Rainbow looked proud of herself.

“Just can’t sit still ta enjoy a nice day, can ya?” Applejack shook her head. To be honest, she was a little disappointed Rainbow had found a reason to not relax with her. She hoped it didn’t show.

“Nope!” Rainbow, on the other hoof, was thankful for the distraction. Sitting around with Applejack all day, while a strangely appealing option, would probably be way too awkward if past experiences were any judge.

But Applejack had an idea. “Ah don’t suppose ya’d mind if Ah tagged along, would ya?”

Rainbow looked at Applejack suspiciously. “Why?”

Applejack shrugged. “Ah don’t got much else ta do, and Ah don’t get ta see ya bond with Scootaloo as much as Ah’d like.”

Rainbow was given pause. She didn’t know how to take that comment, or whether it was creepy, flattering, or just… weird. What? Why would she… Is there something I’m missing?

“Ya’ve been mellowin’ out a bit since ya took ‘er in. Ah figure Ah could learn a couple things from her.”

That… Rainbow sat down again. I don’t… Rainbow blinked as a possibility hit her. Is she coming on to me?

Applejack, of course, had no idea that Rainbow was trying to dissect her whim. So when a questioning prod elicited a sudden movement from the brooding pegasus, both mares jumped back in surprise.

“I…” Rainbow stopped herself. “You know what? Let’s just go find Scootaloo.”

Applejack nodded slowly, following Rainbow silently.

Does this qualify as awkward? Rainbow wondered. I don’t even know what this is. I just… Scootaloo. Let’s go with that.

The filly to blame had many haunts Rainbow was familiar with, the closest of which being the Crusaders’ clubhouse, though it was unlikely given that the other Crusaders were occupied. She could be hanging out with Sweetie Belle if Apple Bloom’s off on her own. It suddenly occurred to Rainbow that she had no idea where Scootaloo’s house was. I should probably ask her some time.

Rainbow approached the clubhouse, intending to just poke her head in the window and be on her way when she spotted the lone figure of Scootaloo lounging around. Cocking her head, Rainbow entered to question the filly’s presence. “Scoot? What are you doing here all alone?”

“Huh?” Scootaloo stirred, rubbing her eyes after an apparent nap. “Oh, hi, Rainbow Dash. Sweetie Belle’s grounded for… something about fillyfooling and too many questions. And Apple Bloom’s not really approachable right now.”

Applejack raised a brow. “Sounds like a good day to stay home.”

Scootaloo shifted slightly, offering no comment.

“Well, how would you like to have your first flight lesson, then?” Rainbow offered.

Scootaloo was nose to nose with Rainbow instantly. “Really?”

“Not such a bad day after all, huh?” Rainbow happily led her minion outside.

Scootaloo followed, giggling all the way.

Applejack watched on with a smile. It never ceased to amaze her how Rainbow could always get Scootaloo worked up so easily. It really spoke to just how much Scootaloo looked up to her. With a chuckle of her own, she followed the two pegasi out to their designated training area in the west fields. She really is somethin’ else.


Applejack watched in contentment as Rainbow started the lesson.

“Alright, Scoot. I know you’ve probably worked yourself up over this, so show me some of that enthusiasm and show me what you’ve got!” Rainbow commanded.

“Okay!” Scootaloo’s wings started to buzz excitedly, though she didn’t manage to lift more than a hoof off the ground before running out of energy. She collapsed, panting. “That’s as far as I’ve ever gotten,” she said between gasps.

Rainbow studied her critically. “Okay, excitement’s good and all, but maybe you should try toning it down just a bit. You’re just trying to get off the ground here, no need to go all out. We’re pegasi, not hummingbirds.”

Huffing, Scootaloo got to her hooves and listened intently.

“Let’s just start off with the motions. I can see you’ve got the wing part down, but it’s more than just that. Right now your wings aren’t strong enough to provide all the lift you need to get into the air. So this time, try jumping into your first flap and see how long you can stay off the ground.”

Catching her breath, Scootaloo nodded obediently and jumped up as high as she could, timing a wing flap at its peak. Heeding Rainbow’s words, Scootaloo tried to slow down her wing beats, but when she felt herself wobble in the air, she fell back on old habits, falling to the ground shortly after with aching wings.

Rainbow offered a hoof, which Scootaloo used to right herself into a sitting position. “That was a bit better. But don’t be afraid of falling. You’re not gonna be going very high yet, and I’ll be there to catch you when you will. Alright?”

Scootaloo nodded. “Thanks, Rainbow.”

“Give it another shot when you’re up to it. Don’t worry if you can’t stay up very long. I’m just trying to see where you’re at.”

Scootaloo nodded again, shifting her wings into a more comfortable position and waiting for the soreness to subside. She replayed Rainbow’s words in her head, committing them to memory. These were some of the most important things she’d ever been told, and she wasn’t about to forget them. Flying was too important; if she wanted to be anything like Rainbow, she at least needed to be able to fly.

With a deep breath, Scootaloo stood again, coiling her body for another jump. Come on. You can do this. She sprang up into the air, matching her earlier jump in height, but she mistimed her first flap, losing a few inches. Trying not to panic, Scootaloo steadied herself with another measured flap of her wings. Looking down, she noticed that she was still about two hooves off the ground, though that distance was slowly shrinking. Despite her best efforts to develop a steady rhythm of wing beats, Scootaloo found herself on the ground once again, with energy to spare for once.

“That was great, Scoot! Nice job keeping calm there. You managed about five seconds of hovering!” Rainbow gushed, making it seem like a much bigger deal than Scootaloo thought was warranted.

“Five seconds? But you can fly around for like, five hours, at least!” Scootaloo grumbled.

Scootaloo was snapped out of her state by a comforting touch on her shoulder. “Scoot, I don’t know if you quite understand this, but that was a legit five seconds of real hovering. That was the first time I’ve ever seen anything close to hovering from you. This is a huge step, even if you don’t realize it now. Trust me.”

Scootaloo regarded Rainbow with big eyes, not entirely believing, but relishing the praise she was getting from her idol.

“In fact, I think you might be ready for the next step,” Rainbow went on. “You up for it?”

Scootaloo jumped up eagerly. “Of course, Rainbow Dash!”

“Good.” Rainbow turned to lead her protégé up a nearby hill. “Now, this might be a little scary at first, but remember, I’m gonna be right here to catch you.”

Scootaloo’s eyes widened a bit in fear. “What do you want me to do?”

Rainbow reached the top of the hill, pausing for a moment before spinning around with a flourish. “Scoot, it’s time to try your first glide.”

Scootaloo gasped. “You mean like what you tried to get Apple Bloom to do before we met?”

Rainbow frowned, thinking. “Kinda, except without the silly glider.”

Scootaloo gulped. “Are you sure about this?”

Rainbow was quick to her side. “Scoot, I’d never let you do anything I didn’t think you were ready for. But you don’t have to if you’re not up to it.”

At that, Scootaloo took a deep breath. “Okay, I’ll do it.”

“You sure?”

Scootaloo nodded.

“Alright, then get up there. You’re gonna need to take a running start, and then jump off as high as you can, like before, and just hold your wings steady. Give it a few flaps if you feel comfortable, but don’t worry about it too much. I’ll be right below you.”

Scootaloo nodded, taking another steadying breath. Okay, you can do this. Rainbow believes in you. Don’t let her down now. Pushing away her fears and shutting her eyes, Scootaloo took a leap of faith. She flared her wings out as she felt gravity start to pull her down, calming slightly as her descent slowed. She dared to open her eyes, looking out across the treeless fields that stretched before her. Below, Rainbow Dash was ready to react at any second to a sudden decline.

Scootaloo felt a smile come to her face as she felt the air breeze past her. She gave a flap of her wings, cheering silently as she rose ever so slightly. Making sure not to get ahead of herself, she focused on enjoying the remainder of her glide, keeping her wings steady. Before long, she felt a pair of strong hooves catch her as she came to a stop. Looking up, she saw the joy and pride in Rainbow’s eyes.

“That was awesome, Scoot,” Rainbow praised. “You’re really learning quick.”

Scootaloo merely nuzzled into Rainbow’s embrace in response.

Nearby, Applejack’s heart melted at the tender moment. Ya’d think they really are sisters, she mused.

“Thanks, Rainbow. For all of this,” Scootaloo said at length.

Rainbow smirked. “Hey, it’s far from over, Scoot. But with me teaching you, we’ll be sure to have you flying by the end of the month.”

Scootaloo nuzzled closer, marveling again at just how lucky she was to have such an amazing… sister. She smiled at the thought. Yeah, that sounds about right.

Rainbow pulled away from the embrace after a few more moments. “It’s about time we head out for lunch,” she said, more to Scootaloo than to Applejack. “Wanna come along?”

“Of course!” Scootaloo chirped happily.

“Great! Now we just need Twilight.”

“Ya sure ya want Scootaloo ta be around fer our chat with Twilight?” Applejack asked.

Rainbow frowned. “Maybe not, but that doesn’t mean she can’t have lunch with us.” Rainbow turned back to Scootaloo. “You wouldn’t mind giving us a few minutes to talk to Twilight after lunch, would you?”

“No problem… But why do you need to talk to Twilight?”

Rainbow averted her gaze briefly. “It’s complicated. You wouldn’t understand. And I’d like to keep it between me and Applejack for now.” Rainbow ruffled Scootaloo’s mane. “If everything goes well, you’ll be hearing about it soon enough.”

Scootaloo nodded slowly, knowing better than to argue. She was already getting to eat lunch with her hero after her first ever flight lesson. That was enough for one day.

“Now come on, I’m getting hungry.” Rainbow set Scootaloo down and motioned to Applejack. The three of them headed into town for lunch.


“Whaddya think, AJ, you wanna ask Twilight to come with us to lunch? Kinda ease into it?” Rainbow asked, noticing Applejack’s apprehension.

“Ah guess. Might be fer the best.”

“You alright? You don’t have to do this if you don’t want to.”

Applejack shook her head. “No, Ah’m fine. Ya said it yerself, Rainbow; we can’t figure this out alone.”

Rainbow chuckled. “Well, we probably could, but it’ll be a lot less stressful this way.”

“Ah hope so, Rainbow.”

Scootaloo looked on in confusion. Something was definitely going on here. Is it about that… thing we walked into? What was that anyway? She knew what it looked like, but… I’ll have to call a Crusader meeting later.

Golden Oaks Library slowly came into view, looking very much…

“Applejack! Rainbow Dash! You have to help me!”

A young purple dragon suddenly popped up before them, barely giving them enough time to not knock into him.

“Spike, what?” Rainbow looked curiously at their accoster. Behind them, Golden Oaks Library seemed to be...

“Twilight locked herself inside! I don’t know what’s going on! After she came back from the market yesterday she started acting all crazy. She made all these weird charts and graphs and spreadsheets. Then she asked me to get all sorts of books on psychology and relationships and stuff. And now she’s put the library in total lockdown and I can’t get in!”

Spike’s tale was met with a long, contemplative silence. While not unheard of, Twilight didn’t get this crazy very often. “What’s got her all worked up now?” Applejack asked at length.

“I don’t know!” Spike repeated. “All I know is she’s locked in there and I can’t get in.”

“So… I take it she doesn’t want to come to lunch, then?”

“You kidding, AJ? She’s not getting out of this one that easily.” Rainbow took to the air, grabbing a surprised Applejack by the waist and flying up to Twilight’s balcony. “She never remembers to lock her windows.”

Applejack regarded Rainbow dubiously before looking back down to the normal entrance. Scootaloo and Spike seemed to have devolved into some sort of debate, marked with flailing limbs and comical expressions. Before Applejack could open her mouth, Rainbow was already halfway through the window. Applejack let out a sigh, following her friend inside.

“Rainbow Dash!” Twilight’s sudden exclamation made the intruders jump. “You’re here! Is Applejack here, too?”

Applejack walked forward to peer over the ledge that marked Twilight’s upper floor. “Uh, yeah?”

“Great! Maybe you girls could clear up a few things for me!” Twilight ran upstairs to meet them, leaving her independent research behind. “First things first; are you two really dating?”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa,” Rainbow immediately responded. “Whoa. Back the buck up.”

“I take that as a no?”

“No, we’re not dating!” Rainbow fervently replied.

Applejack, meanwhile, was backing away slowly, flushed and stuttering.

“Then why is Applejack-“

“Twilight, we can talk about this later, okay?” Rainbow cut her off, taking Twilight’s shoulder and leading her a good distance away before continuing in a hushed voice. “Look, me and Applejack have been going through Tartarus recently, and the last thing we need right now is somepony on our case. Or, maybe that’s the first thing, but not like that.” Rainbow shook her head. “Anyway, we were coming here to ask if you’d like to join us for lunch. And then we wanted to talk to you.”

“What about?” Twilight asked, calming down a bit.

Rainbow blushed. “I think you can guess.”

Twilight beamed, making sure to keep her voice down. “Don’t worry, you can tell me all about your problems.”

“Good, just… Don’t put them in some sort of research paper, alright?”

Twilight’s face scrunched up as she nodded. It wasn’t the most convincing display Rainbow had seen, but she’d take it for now.

“And no weird questions over lunch, alright? Scootaloo’s joining us,” Rainbow pressed.

Twilight smiled, giggling lightly and offering a much more convincing nod. “I wouldn’t want an impressionable filly getting too many questions, either.”

Rainbow frowned. “Actually, it’s more like damage control at this point.”

Twilight laughed at that, marveling at her friends’ misfortune. If there was really so much going on, she’d have to make sure to pay extra attention to detail. Well, more than usual, anyway.

Applejack rejoined the group noticeably less flustered, though still with some color on her cheeks. Rainbow offered Applejack a quick one-hoofed hug before Twilight unlocked the front door.

“And then Sweetie Belle walked in and Applejack was-“

Rainbow rushed over to clamp a hoof over Scootaloo’s mouth just in time. Perhaps leaving a hyperactive filly with too much information unattended wasn’t the best idea. As she drew looks from everypony present, she could only hope Scootaloo hadn’t said much more.

Sanity, don’t give up on me now.


The group of five made their way over to one of Ponyville’s smaller eateries at insistence of Rainbow and Applejack. Paranoia made them want to avoid Café du Mane and its crowds for a while.

“So you managed to get Rainbow to commit a whole month to the farm?” Twilight asked in disbelief.

“Ah was a bit skeptical at first, too. But she’s been a great help so far.” Applejack shot Rainbow a grin. “She was even thinking we could get her assigned ta be the Acres’ full-time weatherpony.”

Twilight’s eyebrows shot up. “When did you suddenly get Rainbow wrapped around your hoof?”

“Hey!” Rainbow cut in. “I’m not wrapped around her hoof! I’m just… committed!”

Twilight giggled. “You sure that’s the word you’re looking for?”

Rainbow covered her rising blush with a hoof. “Dammit, Twilight.”

“Yeah, I think I can see it,” Spike said, rubbing his chin with a claw.

“See what?” Twilight asked.

“Them together,” Spike clarified.

“I told you we’re not-!” Applejack and Rainbow chorused, before donning matching blushes and averting their gazes.

“Definitely see it,” Spike concluded.

“Dammit,” Rainbow muttered under her breath.

“I saw it, too! All the Crusaders did!” Scootaloo piped up.

“I told you it wasn’t what it looked like,” Rainbow insisted.

Scootaloo looked at Rainbow disbelievingly. “But it looked like you were about to kiss. What else could it have been?”

Rainbow sighed. “We were just getting rowdy. You know, having a bit of a wrestling match. And you just happened to catch us in a bad spot.”

“It wasn’t all bad, sugarcube,” Applejack put in. “If they hadn’t come in when they did, Ah might not a’ found out a little bit about ya.”

Rainbow frowned. “Yeah, and it wouldn’t be half as awkward as it is now.”

“So you’re saying that you’re not dating?” Scootaloo inquired.

“No, we’re not dating,” Rainbow sighed.

“Not yet anyway,” Spike added.

Rainbow shot Spike a death glare. Spike gulped, offering an apologetic smile. Rainbow grunted. “We’re not dating.”

Scootaloo frowned. “I don’t buy it. You’re just saying that because I’m too young to understand, aren’t you?”

Rainbow’s hoof met her face. “There’s no way to get you to believe me, is there?”

Scootaloo and Spike shook their heads in unison.

Rainbow sighed, looking at Applejack for help. Applejack, however, had her face buried in her meal, doing her best to distance herself from the uncomfortable conversation.

“You know we can’t ignore this forever,” Rainbow prodded.

Applejack grunted. “Don’ mean Ah gotta stop now.”

Rainbow sighed again. “Sorry, guys. It’s kinda been getting to us.”

“I noticed,” Twilight giggled. “And she’s right, Applejack. Ignoring it isn’t the best way to deal with it.”

Applejack answered with a noncommittal grunt, not taking her eyes off her food.

“It’s not going anywhere, you know,” Twilight pointed out. “I really can’t see what’s so riveting about a salad.”

“That’s the point.”

“I don’t think we’re gonna be getting much out of her, Twilight,” Rainbow said. “And we’re gonna be talking about this soon, so maybe we should just leave her alone for now.”

Twilight frowned, but nodded nonetheless.

At Rainbow’s insistence, the rest of their meal was eaten in relative silence. Applejack seemed to appreciate the ceasefire as she relaxed visibly. Rainbow shot occasional glances Applejack’s way, mostly to make sure she didn’t wander off. Twilight merely observed the small exchange between the two, taking note of Applejack’s despondent attitude.

Hopefully she’ll be a bit more open than this, Twilight mused before returning her full attention to her meal.


Twilight, Applejack and Rainbow Dash walked through the door of Golden Oaks Library with varying levels of confidence. Twilight practically exuded it as she sat on a rug in the main room. Applejack and Rainbow followed in a far more subdued manner.

“So,” Twilight began, “what can I help you girls with today?”

Rainbow coughed. “Well, me and AJ have been going through some weird stuff lately and we were hoping you could give us some advice on how to deal with it.”

Twilight cocked her head inquisitively. “This wouldn’t happen to be related to those rumors going around about the two of you?”

Applejack averted her gaze quickly, leaving Rainbow to nod sheepishly.

“Alright, then, we’ll do it like this; I’ll speak to each of you alone, then we’ll join back up for a closing statement.”

Applejack looked at Rainbow Dash, who shrugged. “Works for me,” Rainbow said.

“Okay then. Applejack, I’ll start with you. Follow me upstairs for a moment.”

Applejack gulped, looking to Rainbow Dash. Rainbow smiled and waved a hoof in encouragement. Sighing, Applejack followed Twilight upstairs, uncertainty slowing her steps.

Twilight entered her bedroom to pull up a chair next to her bed, offering the latter to Applejack. Applejack accepted the reprieve gratefully, laying herself out on her back and staring up at the ceiling.

“So, Applejack, what are some of the problems you’re dealing with? Any that you’d like to talk about?”

“Ah just don’t know, Twilight. What am Ah supposed to do? It seems everypony’s convinced that Rainbow and Ah are dating, and Ah’m not sure how I feel about it.”

“How you feel about the fact that everypony came to that conclusion? Or how you feel about the concept and its implications?”

Applejack sighed. “More o’ the second lately; Ah figure it’s gettin’ me nowheres tryin ta guess what other ponies‘re thinkin’ if Ah can’t even get mahself thinkin’ straight.”

Twilight paused, thinking. “Is there anything in particular that stands out as a problem point?”

“Ah talked ta Mac about it a bit. He helped a bit with dealin’ with, well, her bein’ a mare n’ all.” Applejack snorted. “But it’s not all simple as that, Twi. ‘Round the farm, there’s a way things gotta be. It don’ matter how Ah feel if we can’t keep the family line goin’, an’ Ah can do that with nopony but a stallion. Even if Ah don’ feel nothin’ fer any of ‘em. Ah can’t trust Mac n’ Apple Bloom ta do it for me, and Ah can’t say Ah’ve never thought about raisin’ a foal o’ mah own someday.”

Applejack sighed wistfully. “Ah remember helpin’ raisin’ Apple Bloom, after, well, the accident. An’ it was somethin’ special ta be sure. But she’s mah sister, an’ Ah knew there was somethin’ missin’ in it all.” Applejack shook away a stray tear. “Ah just can’t let the Apple Family end with me, Twilight. An’ Ah need ta face it.”

Twilight let out a long sigh, folding her hooves and setting her eyes firmly upon Applejack’s quivering form. “You’ve put a lot of thought into this, I see.”

Applejack answered with a meek nod.

Twilight sighed again. “Applejack… what if I told you… there was another way to bear foals?”

Applejack blinked. “Ya mean like adoption?” Applejack shook her head. “It’s not as simple as that, Twilight. It’s more n’ just havin’ ponies carry on the farm. It’s about heritage an’ blood.”

“Are your traditions really so important to you, Applejack?” Twilight asked heavily.

Applejack opened her mouth, shutting it soon afterwards and averting her gaze. “It’s one a’ the only things ya can count on, bein’ farm folk. We ain’t got your fancy magic, or pretty wings. All we got is the earth an’ what we make of ourselves.”

Twilight leaned back in her chair, studying the ceiling. Applejack held her tongue, fearing she had upset her friend in some way. Just as she was about to apologize, however, Twilight cut her off.

“I didn’t want to do this, but it seems there’s not much other choice,” Twilight grunted. “You’re nothing if not stubborn, AJ.” Twilight took a steadying breath. “A long time ago, before the time of Nightmare Moon, Princess Luna was more than just Princess of the Night. She also held dominion over all that transpired in her night, and all their intricacies. So it came that consecutive generations produced a major imbalance of the sexes, and it seemed that population had reached an impasse. There simply weren’t enough stallions to ensure the normal quota for conception.

“So Princess Luna had an idea. What if she could create another way to ensure her little ponies lived on in the face of such an anomaly? There were plenty of mares to carry the foals, and what few stallions there were couldn’t hope to mate with them all, nor would that ensure the diversity that makes us a people. If only there was a way for two mares to conceive a foal, without the need for a stallion.” Twilight smiled.

Applejack stared ahead, focused on nothing and everything at once. There’s another way? “Twilight, are you sayin’-“

“Yes. Princess Luna, after years of scientific study, crafted a spell to suit the needs of the populace. It could combine the essences of the two mares and implant a foal in each.” Twilight paused. “Naturally, this wasn’t an optimal solution, as it added to the already significant imbalance of the sexes, as two mares cannot conceive a colt, but the stallions of Equestria endured. There was certainly no shortage of potential mates, and hardly a stallion left unpaired. And as chance would have it, following generations would see a resurgence of colts from the minority pairs, and the scales slowly began to level.

“Some came to brand the era as a dark time, prime for scorn and unfair judgment, for as time passed, the need for such a spell was lessened, until it abruptly ceased in application.” Twilight smiled sadly. “Not long after, Nightmare Moon made her first appearance in Equestria. And as Princess Celestia was forced to banish her sister to the moon, the spell was lost for a thousand years, and all but the oldest history books forgot its existence.”

Twilight quickly ducked out of the room, leaving behind a blank-faced Applejack. She returned shortly after with a tome she laid on the bed before the farmer. The book was encased in a pitch black cover, with shadowy purple patterns spread across the front. In golden letters, it read, “The Dark Ages.”

Applejack reached a hoof out to touch the book gingerly for some fear of backlash. “Ah… Ah don’t understand.”

“This is one of the few remaining documentations of the so-called Dark Ages.” Twilight explained, regarding the book fondly. “It was one that Princess Celestia had hidden away when ponies decided it would be best to erase all evidence of it ever happening.” Twilight chuckled. “Of course, she could have relayed the tale to me personally, but it’s always nice to have a reference at hoof. As the book says, it wasn’t such a dark time as ponies came to view it as. It was actually the greatest time of acceptance for what we now call fillyfoolers. Even now, we have not yet made strides to match the level we once had, but with Princess Luna’s return, we have made progress. She’s even managed to bring coltcuddling into acceptance where it never in recorded history was considered socially acceptable. But when you get a place like Ponyville, where the mares so outnumber the stallions, it makes me wonder if we won’t need use of the spell again.”

Applejack made to reach out for the book again, but hesitated.

Twilight giggled. “You can borrow it if you’d like. It might do you some good to consider your possibilities.”

“Y-yeah…” Applejack still seemed dazed.

“I can see it’s a lot to take in. So if you’d like to end here-“

“No, no, Ah just… thank you.”

Twilight smiled. “You’re my friend, Applejack. I’m always here to help if you need me.”

Applejack smiled, running a hoof across the book’s surface, pondering how she’d transport the sizable tome without prompting unwanted questions. She wished she’d thought to bring her saddlebags with her.

“You can use mine,” Twilight offered. “Just make sure to return them once you’ve got the book in a good hiding spot.”

“Thanks, Twi,” Applejack repeated.

Twilight grinned. “Hey, what’d I just say?”

“Sorry,” Applejack laughed nervously.

“Now, is there anything else you’d like to talk about?”

“Ah… Y’know, Ah never thought Ah’d ever be considerin’ Rainbow’s offer o’ that other kinda labor ta pay fer her guitar.”

Twilight’s eyebrows shot up. “Whoa, slow down. I did not need that image.”

Applejack burst out laughing at Twilight’s face. She had never seen her friend so flustered before, and she had to admit it was kind of adorable.

“Remind me why I brought this up?” Twilight groaned, hiding her face in her hooves.

Applejack made an effort to calm her giggle fits, slowly devolving into spaced out chuckles before becoming silent once more with a sigh. “Sorry, Twi. Ah just… yer face.” Applejack let out another chuckle.

“Yeah, it’s fine.” Twilight giggled a bit. “Just… try to avoid giving me too much information in the future.”

“Alright.” Applejack sat up. “Well, thanks fer the chat, Twi. Ya’ve given me a lot ta think on.”

“No problem.” Twilight smiled. “Tell Rainbow to come in when she’s ready.”

“Will do.” Applejack made her way out the door and down the stairs to a fidgety Rainbow. “You alright, sugarcube?”

Rainbow jumped. “Oh, uh, yeah. I’m fine. Just… kinda nervous.”

Applejack chuckled, a sound soothing to Rainbow’s ears. “Ah am, too, Rainbow. But ya said it yerself, we’re gonna get through this.”

Rainbow gulped, shaking herself. “You’re right. We can do this.”

“Twilight’s ready fer ya whenever,” Applejack relayed.

“Okay.” Rainbow took a steadying breath before making her way up the stairs.

Twilight’s eyes widened when Rainbow came through the door. “Wow, Rainbow, you look worse than Applejack did. Everything alright?”

Rainbow scoffed. “Thanks for the vote of confidence.” She continued before Twilight could apologize. “I’ve just got a lot on my mind.”

“Like what?” Twilight prodded.

Rainbow sighed. “Well, this whole thing with Applejack for starters. I’m not really sure how far it can go, or if I even want it to go anywhere.”

Twilight smirked, jotting down some witty comment or other.

“I mean, I like her and everything. But I’m just… not sure how far it goes yet.”

“Well, what’s stopping you from finding out?” Twilight asked.

“You kidding? Everything! Applejack said herself she doesn’t even know if she’s into mares, she’s kinda got a whole farm to take care of, and I’ve got responsibilities, too.”

“Well you have been helping Applejack with that farm work for the past couple of days, haven’t you?”

“I… yeah, I guess so.”

“And how has that been going?”

Rainbow lowered her head bashfully. “It’s been… fun. A whole lot of fun. Applejack’s been telling me how good a help I am. And I might have put some thought into extending it past the month.”

Twilight smiled. “What’s been the fun part? The work or spending time with Applejack?”

Rainbow blushed. “Do you really have to ask?”

Twilight giggled. “Just making sure. Anything else you might be thinking about?”

“Yeah, kinda. I was thinking that, well, the Acres is a good chunk of Ponyville on its own, and it takes some of the most work to maintain weather-wise. But if I could have some better access to inside information, I could, you know, probably do it all myself.”

“Are you sure you’re up to that?” Twilight asked.

“Well, yeah! It’d make balancing everything a whole lot easier. I’d never have to go far for my weather duties, so I’d always be around and-“

“Have more time to spend with Applejack,” Twilight finished.

“Not everything’s about Applejack!” Rainbow shot back stubbornly.

Twilight smirked and raised a brow. “Oh? Name one thing.”

“Clouds!” Rainbow quickly responded.

“Actually, from what you just told me, you’d be handling the clouds over Applejack’s farm…”

“Rainbows then!”

“Need I remind you of how Applejack got her cutie mark, or the resemblance between you and a Zap Apple?”

“Luna dammit! Uh… crap.”

Twilight grinned victoriously.

“It doesn’t matter! Even if I can’t name anything, there’s bound to be something.”

“But the fact that none of those things come to mind…”

“I know, I’ve been thinking about her a lot recently, okay? It’s kinda hard not to when you can’t even say hello to her without it being awkward.”

“It’s only as awkward as you make it,” Twilight pointed out.

“What are you trying to tell me?” Rainbow demanded, face flushed from equal parts frustration and embarrassment.

“I’m not trying to tell you anything. I’m trying to understand why you’re so averse to the idea of dating Applejack.”

“I just gave you a list! What more do you want?”

“For you to answer the one thing you haven’t given a solution to yet.”

“I…“ Rainbow paused. “I did just solve like half my problems, didn’t I?”

“Which leaves you with just one; Applejack’s uncertain orientation.”

“Smaller words, please.”

“Whether Applejack goes for mares or not,” Twilight giggled. “I assume that you do?”

Rainbow averted her gaze. “Yeah.”

“Any interest in stallions?”

Rainbow shook her head slowly. “What does that have to do with anything we’re talking about?”

“Just curious,” Twilight teased. “You’ve known Applejack longer than I have; have you ever seen her show romantic interest in anypony before?”

“Never. She’s always too busy with work and family. Which is kinda why I’m not sure she’d be that way. Can’t really be family oriented with another mare.”

Twilight smiled, but said nothing. Rainbow looked at her critically.

“Is there something you know that I don’t?”

“Perhaps.”

Rainbow bowled Twilight over. “If there’s a way to do this, you have to tell me!”

“You really think it would help your chances with Applejack?”

Rainbow nodded fervently.

“Well, then I’ll tell you as much as there is a way. I won’t get into specifics just yet,” Twilight said, carefully sidestepping the issue.

“I should tell Applejack! She-“ Rainbow paused. “Wait, how do I bring that up without sounding really creepy?”

“You let her bring it up instead,” Twilight answered easily.

Rainbow rolled her eyes. “And how am I supposed to do that?”

Twilight grinned. “You’ll figure it out.”

“Tease,” Rainbow grouched.

Twilight giggled. “Well I can see this is clearly getting you worked up. So I’m pretty sure I know how you feel.”

“What about Applejack?”

Twilight frowned. “I can’t answer that, Rainbow.”

“Why not?”

“Because I can only give you advice. What you do with this is your decision, and if I take out or add a variable, you might take too much time or rush into it. And that can only end badly.”

“So you’re telling me I’m on my own?”

Twilight shook her head. “You’re forgetting Applejack. She’ll be there with you the whole way.”

“That’s not what I meant,” Rainbow groaned.

“So, assuming that’s all your problems answered…”

Rainbow fidgeted. “Actually, there is one more thing.”

Twilight listened quietly.

“I’m not really sure what it is, but it feels like something big that I’m missing. Like something’s gonna come along and change things between me and AJ.”

“So something in the future?” Twilight asked.

Rainbow nodded. “And I feel really stupid for not knowing what.”

“Well, then answer me this; where do you see yourself five years from now?”

“Captain of the Wonderbolts,” Rainbow answered without missing a beat.

Twilight smiled sadly. “And where does that leave Applejack?”

“She…” Rainbow’s ears splayed back. “Alone back at the Acres. You guys, too.”

“That doesn’t mean you can’t come back and visit,” Twilight pointed out.

“Yeah, on the holidays maybe. Do you know how much time you have to put in to be a Wonderbolt? How far you have to travel?”

“Only what I’ve heard from my time in Canterlot.”

Rainbow sighed. “I’d have a month off every year at best. I… I can’t do that to her.”

Twilight closed her eyes. “Well, you’re going to have to figure it out. What’s more important to you, Applejack or the Wonderbolts?”

“I don’t know.” Rainbow sighed. “I’ll have to think about it.”

“You can do that,” Twilight said. “Just don’t take too long.”

Rainbow nodded. “Right.”

“Now come on. We’ll go get Applejack and wrap things up.”

Rainbow followed Twilight back down the stairs, taking care to measure her wing beats lest her thoughts derail her. Applejack was waiting patiently in the main room, flipping idly through a book.

Twilight prodded Applejack gently to get her attention. “As a closing statement, I’d like to say that this clearly means a lot to both of you. Don’t be afraid of things you can’t control, and don’t get down on yourselves. You can work this out and take it wherever you want.”

Applejack and Rainbow Dash’s eyes met. The contact was quickly broken as their faces betrayed their thoughts. Slowly, though, their eyes met again, and they shared a smile. Everything was going to work out if they let it. They just had to figure out how to initiate. And they had plenty of time to do so.


“Why are you wearing Twilight’s saddlebags?” Rainbow asked after shooting periodic looks at Applejack over a minute’s span.

“She gave me somethin’, an Ah wanted it ta be a secret,” Applejack answered.

Rainbow frowned. “Even from me?”

Applejack chuckled. “’Specially from you.”

Rainbow’s frown deepened, though she couldn’t sustain it for long as the nondescript happiness she had been feeling bubbled to the surface again. Rainbow laughed, taking to the air and attempting to wrest Twilight’s saddlebags from Applejack’s back while cartwheeling over her. Applejack responded by whipping her tail around and whapping Rainbow in the face, disrupting her vision and causing her to crash ineffectually to the ground. Applejack was quick to jump at Rainbow in an attempt to pin her down, but Rainbow was quicker to dart out of the way.

“Get back here, ya thievin’ varmint!” Applejack called out playfully.

“No!” Rainbow shot back, punctuating the single syllable with giggles.

Rainbow made for another run to steal Applejack’s secret treasure; evading Applejack’s tail, but unable to grasp the tightly-drawn straps. Rainbow decided it was time for a change of tactics. If she couldn’t get the saddlebags, she’d just have to get the treasure directly. Rainbow made adjustments to her flying before diving in again. But in her excitement, she failed to notice that they had made it back to the orchards, and impacted a branch, throwing her wobbling off-course. She tried desperately to correct her path, but she crashed headlong into Applejack, throwing them both off balance and tumbling forward a good few yards before coming to rest in a tangle of limbs.

Through her aching everything, Rainbow was vaguely aware of something soft against her lips. It tasted vaguely of apples, though it was far more delicate. Curious, she shifted her position, opening her eyes to get a better view of-

Rainbow shot up from where she lay entangled in the limbs of her best friend. No, I did not just…

“What the hay was that?!” Applejack shouted in an abnormally high-pitched voice.

Rainbow’s eyes widened in fear, offering a squeak in apology as she rocketed off to her cloud home in search of sanctuary.

Applejack panted heavily, raising a hoof to gingerly touch her lips. She could still taste, still feel, Rainbow’s unexpected contact. She developed a heavy blush as she considered whether or not she enjoyed it. Looking up, she saw that she had chased Rainbow away in her shock, eliminating any possibility for reconciliation. Applejack sighed. Smooth, AJ. She got to her hooves, gathered Twilight’s saddlebags and the book contained within, and continued on her path home alone.

Just as it was getting’ good, too.


Rainbow locked her front door with quivering hooves, shaking all over as she ran to her room to throw herself on her bed and create a den of sheets.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. Rainbow berated herself. How could you kiss Applejack? She shook her head as her mind began to rattle off reasons that were becoming painfully obvious. I blew it, she thought sadly. She’ll never look at me the same now. How could I not have noticed the damn trees?

Rainbow proceeded to bash her head unsatisfyingly against her plush cloud pillow. Frustrated, Rainbow couldn’t help but wish for a more solid bedroom to beat herself in. Her whole house was made of clouds, and what few solid items she had were much too soft to work.

What the buck is wrong with me? Rainbow ranted internally. Am I in love with her house now, too? Am I-

Rainbow paused, processing her question again. She cried out in frustration, burying her head under her pillow and falling into a fitful sleep.


Applejack entered her house tiredly, feeling some immense depression in light of her most recent encounter and subsequent rejection of Rainbow Dash.

“Hey, sis, everythin’ alright?” Apple Bloom’s voice carried from the living room.

“Jes’ dandy,” Applejack responded, barely able to project her voice five hooves.

Before she could make it to the stairs, Applejack was met with her little sister blocking her path. “AJ, Ah know somethin’s been goin’ on. An’ now yer comin’ home all mopey, an’ that just ain’t like you.”

Applejack averted her gaze. “It’s complicated, AB. And yer-“

“Too young ta understand, right?” Apple Bloom cut her off irritably. “Ah’m growin’ up, AJ. Ah know Ah don’t have mah cutie mark yet, but that don’ mean Ah’m not worried about ya.”

Applejack sighed, hanging her head. “Tell ya what. Let me just put this in mah room an’ we’ll talk, alright?”

Apple Bloom eyed her sister suspiciously, stepping aside and following closely. Applejack, however, managed to slip inside her room and lock her door before Apple Bloom could enter. Apple Bloom banged on the door. “Dammit, sis! Open the door!”

“Words ain’t gonna make this okay!” Applejack shot back, slipping off Twilight’s saddlebags and collapsing onto her bed, feeling her eyes start to tear up.

At her words, Applejack was relieved to hear the banging cease, and small hoofsteps move down the stairs. Applejack tucked herself under her covers and tried to fall asleep, but was interrupted by more powerful knocks on her door.

“AJ, Apple Bloom says yer shuttin’ yerself away again,” Big Macintosh’s voice came through her door.

“Leave me alone,” Applejack said with barely enough force to be heard.

Applejack heard Big Mac sigh from the other side of the door. “Ya can’t keep doin’ this ta yerself, AJ. We can talk about this.”

“Ah already done talked enough today. Just leave me alone, Ah just wanna go to sleep and ferget today ever happened.”

Big Mac turned to Apple Bloom with a frown. He placed a hoof on her shoulder. “We’ll get her outta this, AB. She just needs some time right now.”

Apple Bloom sighed. “Ah hate bein’ left outta things all the time.”

Big Mac smiled. “Ah’ll make sure she talks to ya ‘bout this. She’ll talk ta all’a us.”

“Ah really hope yer right, Mac.”


Big Mac, Granny Smith, and Apple Bloom sat around the dinner table, eyeing the two conspicuously unoccupied seats.

“Ya think AJ’ll be alright, Mac?” Apple Bloom piped up.

Big Mac shifted. “Ah think that’ll depend on Rainbow Dash.”

“Rainbow Dash? Is she the one makin’ AJ act all funny?” Apple Bloom frowned. “She ain’t pullin’ one o’ her pranks again, is she?”

“Were it only that simple, child,” Granny Smith mused.

“Then what is goin’ on?” Apple Bloom demanded.

“Ain’t our place ta say, Apple Bloom,” Big Mac answered sadly. “AJ’s gotta handle this herself.”

“So we can’t help her?”

Big Mac sighed. “No, not this time, AB.”


Applejack lay on her back, staring up at the ceiling, unable to sleep. How am I supposed to talk ta her now? Applejack was wondering how it all fell apart. Everything seemed to be going great; she almost had everything figured out. But that one kiss…

She did like it, she had decided. And going on a date with Rainbow seemed to get more appealing each time she thought about it. But she chased Rainbow away at the first sign of affection, however accidental it may have been. She had hurt Rainbow. And now she was supposed to be able to walk up to her and ask her out and have everything be okay?

Applejack sighed. She’d have to sit down and talk to her, and definitely apologize for overreacting. She could only hope Rainbow would hear her out.

Why did Ah have ta be so stupid? Ah coulda just been honest with mahself an’ kept on kissin’ her. Applejack groaned. And now Ah understand, it might already be too late.

Applejack buried her face in her pillow, lamenting her potentially missed opportunity with the mare she cared about like family. If she was going to fix this, she had to pour her heart out, and leave nothing unsaid. That shouldn’t be so hard, being the Element of Honesty, right?

Applejack fell asleep at last with a glimmer of hope.


Rainbow Dash stood before a crowd of screaming ponies. Looking down, she saw not a Wonderbolts uniform, but an electric guitar. Looking across from her, she saw herself, looking at her with disappointment. When she reached out to touch the phantom, everything faded to black, and she was alone. Somewhere in the blackness, she saw a vague green blur leaking some kind of liquid before-

Rainbow woke up from her sleep with a start. She rubbed her temples gingerly, painfully aware of a throbbing in her skull. It’s that dream again. But it was different this time. What is it supposed to mean?

Looking out the window, Rainbow determined it was around midnight. She felt an emptiness in her stomach, but couldn’t bring herself to consider eating anything. With a sigh, Rainbow rose to open her closet, where a mannequin stood bearing her uniform from the Wonderbolts Academy.

Twilight’s words echoed in Rainbow’s mind. Who’s more important to you, Applejack or the Wonderbolts? Rainbow felt a tear come to her eye, which she was quick to wipe away. She posed herself another question. Which is the more reachable goal now?

Another tear came to Rainbow’s eyes, and another. They came faster than she could wipe them away. She barely managed to make it back to her bed before she devolved into a fit of sobbing. Sleep seemed so close, but it wouldn’t come. She felt like her mind was punishing her. None of this would have happened if you had been more careful.

“Shut up. Just shut up!” Rainbow shouted.

After a few more minutes of self-deprecation, sleep finally saved her sanity at the last possible second. Suddenly, things weren’t turning out so great.

Author's Note:

Sorrry for the wait! Have a chapter three. Next chapter should be out more promptly.