• Published 20th May 2013
  • 1,052 Views, 45 Comments

Bonds and Fate - Al Capony



What is fate? Is it a predetermined ending, or a map of the choices we make as we make them? And what are bonds? Are they the links that hold us together, or are they the chains that limit us from what we could become? 1st person HiE.

  • ...
2
 45
 1,052

(6) A place to stay and diplomatic assignments

Chapter 6 – A place to stay and diplomatic assignments

Twilight sat silent in thought for a second, then turned to Applejack.

“Wut?”

The purple Alicorn raised her eyebrows. Applejack responded in kind. She then shrugged her wings, leaving Applejack stumped. Twilight decided to gesture towards me with her head, prompting a vivid display on Applejack’s part.

“No. Nu’uh. No. Way.

“Oh come on Applejack you’re the only reasonable option!”

“Ah said no. No way no how is that there alien not stayin’ on mah farm.”

“Okay I get the point, you don’t want to share your farm with the horrible alien who has done so may mean things to make you hate him. The one who arrived in a land he knows nothing about and has been attacked by manticores and vicious monsters alike. You know, the one who is tired and lonely and who just wants to go home.”

Actually I quite like it here – you could make some friends,

Wreak some havoc,

Learn and atone for-

-Seriously? How can I atone here, everything’s perfect!?You three are crazy.

See, three against one – democracy states we want to stay.

You are the avatar of my malevolence… any you’re using democracy to try to persuade me? Seems legit. Either way, this isn’t a democracy and you’re not citizens – it is a dictatorship and you are figments of my consciousness.

My train of thought was derailed when Pinkie appeared right in front of my face and bounced around in my field of view, all the while asking,

“If Applejack won’t take you I will! It’ll be looooaaads of fun - we can have cake for dinner then ice cream for dessert with chocolate milk! Then we can play party games and laugh and dance and talk about blue police boxes and giant mecha! How’s that sound?”

Dafuq she just say..?

Sounds awesome!

“Sounds awesome!”

Dafuq I just say!?

“Pinkie there’s no way he could possibly stay with you in Sugarcube Corner,” Twilight stated, “ it’s in the middle of Ponyville! He’d be noticed by the townsfolk and it would incite a town wide panic, not to mention what will happen if it gets into the newspapers –it’d be worse than Gabby Gums!”

Pinkie’s hair deflated after Twilight made her point, though her friend took no notice of this. Pausing and turning to applejack she continued,

“The same problem also applies to the Library along with the Carrousel Boutique, plus I doubt Rainbow Dash would stop herself from shoving him off the side of her could house, assuming a cloud walking spell would work on him – we don’t know what kind of magic humans have or are used to. And there’s not nearly enough space to accommodate him here in Fluttershy’s cottage so no he couldn’t stay here.”

Applejack still looked unconvinced until Applebloom decided to further Twilights argument. Actually, it was less adding to the logical reasons for me staying at the farm and closer to adorable pleading.

“Pleeeeeeease can he stay Sis’ ? Oh please oh please oh pleeeeease. He’s lost, lonely and he doesn’t have any friends here. You’d say yes if he wus a pony, wut’s so different if he’s a human?”

“Because, we… eerr…” Applejack glanced again at her younger sibling’s pleading eyes before lowering her hat in resignation.

“Fine, he can stay,” she then raised her hat again and locked gaze with me, “But you better not cause any trouble.”

“Yaaaaaaay!” exclaimed Applebloom, bouncing around the room.

“I can one up from not causing trouble. You mentioned you’re a farmer and both of you sisters have the word ‘apple’ in your names, so I’m guessing you run an apple orchard. How about this – I will earn my keep by helping out with your apple harvest and in return I can stay in a barn or something. Sound good?”

“See Applejack, he’s even gonna help on the farm! Just in time for zap apple harvest to!”

“Ah think Ah’d rather judge wut help you’ll be from yer actions, not yer words. But… thanks fer the offer.”

“I think that’s very wise of you. Oh, before I forget: Fluttershy, when you found me I would have been wearing a brown satchel bag. Quite big, about yay wide,” I gestured with my hands as to the width I was referring to, “did you bring it with or just leave it in the forest?”

“Ooh yes I brought it back here. Let me just get it for you.”

She fluttered off into the next room before I got the chance to thank her but I figured I’d be able to do so when she came back. Suffice to say, I didn’t. As Flutteshy returned from next door, the bag strap in her mouth, a certain song started playing, coming from inside the bag.

Oh shit, the alarm on my phone! Bollocks. I was hoping to avoid the whole technology discussion but I guess I’m fucked now.

“Hey, can anyone else hear that music?” asked Rainbow Dash, her interest clearly piqued.

“Hehe it sounds groovy!” were the only words a rejuvenated Pinkie spoke, her hair reflating in an instant.

Without realising it, I suspect, all three of the CMC were gingerly moving their hooves to the beat, with Sweetie Belle also starting to pick up on scat singing.

Her cutie mark is soooo gonna be music related.

I scrambled over to the shocked Pegasus in possession of my bag and took my phone out, cancelling the alarm as quickly as possible but the damage had already been done.

“What is that?” asked Twilight, curiosity painted onto her face. “I’ve never seen anything like it! It’s so small, yet it can play music! What kind of magic does it use?”

Great, the moment I’ve been waiting for…

“Actually, magic doesn’t exist where I’m from.”

The room became eerily quiet, more than just a void of noise but an active absorption of the slightest sound. The silence was truly deafening, eventually broken by Twilight asking,

“But-but-but, without magic how do you survive, build. How can you live without magic!?”

“Human ingenuity. We were cold so we harnessed fire; we were weak so we invented the wheel. We meet obstacles and we overcame them with creativity. The things we’ve accomplished are both beautiful and terrible, massive in scope and yet in the ultimate scheme of the universe, insignificant. Anyway, I am quite interested in this magic you refer to so tell you what: you teach me about magic, maybe lend me some books, and in turn I’ll teach you about some of our science and technology. Maybe we can trade some other aspects of our cultures in the process. Think of it as a diplomatic assignment from your Princess Celestia.”

“A diplomatic assignment..?”

“Well, I am the first of an alien race to appear in Equestria.”

“Ah, good point. Well, if it gives me a chance to learn and share my knowledge I’d be more than happy to oblige!” squeaked the lavender mare, her thirst for knowledge unquenchable and her high spirit unbreakable.

“Well I’m not sure about you two,” I began while removing and adorning a hoodie from my bag, “but I am thoroughly exhausted. I don’t mean to be a burden, but please could you show me to where I’ll be sleeping?”

My request was followed by an adorable yawn from all three of the Crusaders along with Spike (even if he didn’t want to admit it), prompting us all to say our goodbyes and take our leave. When I stood to my full height I realised what Twilight meant by the space being ‘too small’ – my head was nearly touching the ceiling.

How didn’t I notice that until now? Well, to be fair I had been relatively preoccupied when standing before…

As I stepped out into the crisp spring evening (I knew it was spring as the leaves and flowers on trees were partially and beginning to bloom) I immediately noted how well Fluttershy’s house retained its heat. The door had been missing for the entire time since Rainbow’s dramatic entrance yet I had barely noticed the cold.

The walk itself was quite rather uneventful, the silence persisting between us three due to tiredness as opposed to resentfulness. The path was a straight dirt path, illuminated by a glowing full moon.

At some point, I’m not quite sure when but I think it was about half way on the journey, Applebloom pretty much conked out while standing on her hooves so Applejack lifted her onto her back and carried her the rest of the way. It was actually quite a touching sight, though it only led to pangs of regret that I was not then able to do the same for my siblings.

Eventually we arrived at Sweet Apple Acres. The deep-red barn was bathed in moonlight, the orchards stood to the right in all their majesty but in my tired state I was unable to fully appreciate it. Applejack showed me to m ‘room’ at the back of the barn, full of hay but empty of any cattle (even if the concept of cattle functions differently in Equestria).

“You’ll be sleepin’ here fer the time bein’. You’ll be introduced to the rest of the family tomorrow mornin’”

“Thank you,” was my reply as she began to walk over to the front of the barn.

I heard her open and close the front door to her home and I walked over to the nearest pile (not quite a bale) of hay. I promptly removed my bag and switched off my phone, not wanting to waste battery and collapsed backwards into the soft, comforting dried grass and let go all that I could.

Today’s been one hell of an interesting day. Can’t help but feeling it’s only going to get bigger, though I don’t know if I’m going to be here to see it. I’ll probably be off in a week.

Sweet dreams.

Good rest.

Sour nightmares, ya mangy bastard.

Love you too guys. Night.

Author's Note:

Couldn't sleep, so I pulled an all-nighter writing this chapter, hope you enjoy.

Oh and by the way, if you like the story don't hesitate to click that thumbs up button, and if you dislike it - *sadface* =( - please tell me why and help me to improve for the future.