• Published 19th May 2013
  • 1,744 Views, 76 Comments

Doctor Whooves Episode 17: Angie the Great - Doctor Perseus



As the armies recover, Esmeralda sets her sights on Canterlot. Meanwhile, as Donna ventures into the Changeling Castle, the Doctor, Twilight, and Angie take charge of the Equestrian army while Celestia recovers.

  • ...
3
 76
 1,744

Castle of the Changelings

Chapter 3: Castle of the Changelings

Central Plaza, Gustus Amoris, the Changeling Empire, Gaia, Summer, 56 C.E.

Bass was pleased to see that Donna had managed to enter the castle in one piece. However, he was quickly finding himself surrounded by the guards, despite them being fairly easy opponents to beat.

Time to take my exit, Bass thought as he reached into his cloak and pulled out small smoke bombs. He tossed the bombs on the ground and they proceeded to explode in a massive cloud of darkness. As the changeling guards tried to get their bearings, Bass slipped away down a nearby street. What the good changeling hadn't realized was that one, particular changeling archer had avoided his smoke screen and was now quietly hot on his trail.

The Changeling Castle, Gustus Amoris, the Changeling Empire, Gaia, Summer, 56 C.E.

A large, damp entrance hall opened up before Donna. A massive chandelier hung from the ceiling and millions of spiders happily moved about their webs on said chandelier. A rustic, dirty smell lingered in the air. It was clear that not many things had moved about in this castle for a long time.

"Queen Esmeralda's in for quite a cleaning job when she gets back," Donna said under her breath as she walked through the entrance hall. The floor was made of marble and each of Donna's steps produced a loud echo that rang out down the connecting hallways. "Bass and Flarewing told me that her weakness is in the heart of the castle and that it should be behind a door with the Changeling Empire's seal on it. Now, if only there were a map of this place." There was another shot of pain in Donna's leg but she ignored it as she marched on.

She eventually decided to go down the central corridor. The corridor was lined with old paintings and burnt out torches. The corpses of starved rodents and deceased insects covered the floor. Old leaves and dust covered the furniture and old creaks and groans emanated through the castle. This was the first time in a while where Donna truly felt alone. As she walked down the dank corridor, she thought back to her comfy home in London and wondered what Shaun was up to. She rounded a bend and came face-to-face with a large staircase. Before climbing the steps, she checked and made sure they were stable and not rotted. Thankfully, the stairs were metal but they seemed to be hanging from the ceiling by a series of pillars constructed out of hardened, green mucus or something along the lines of mucus.

Another corridor awaited Donna at the top of the steps but this one was slightly different. While the walls of the lower corridor were made of black stone, the walls of the upper corridor were made of gray stone that held pieces of diamond in them. Small torches burning with white fire hung from the ceiling but were still several feet above the ground, thus causing the corridor to be illuminated in a shadowy, gray light that melded with the gray stones and diamonds perfectly. The castle still seemed intimidating to Donna but she couldn't help but acknowledge that the castle had its own sense of beauty to it. She could only wonder what the castle looked like during its prime and if it had looked even better before Esmeralda took over.

At the end of the corridor was another staircase. This one stretched up much higher but, like the previous staircase, was still constructed of metal and was hung from the ceiling by pillars of green mucus. The staircase led Donna to a short, fat corridor filled with suits of changeling armor and red carpets covered in mold and dust. Beams of sunlight shone in through holes in the stone walls. A simple, wooden door awaited Donna at the end of the corridor.

Donna was pleased to find herself outside after passing through the door. Outside the door was a simple courtyard containing various plants and two fountains. Both fountains were spilling out water though one was spilling out pink water while the other was spilling out green water. Splotches of black could be seen in both sets of water. The stone pathway of the courtyard was cracked and vines creeped through said cracks. It amazed Donna how quickly nature could begin reclaiming an abandoned complex.

"Esmeralda should have probably cast a cleaning and maintaining spell as well," Donna chuckled. Suddenly, Donna heard something. Throughout the duration of her visit so far, everything in the castle had been pretty quiet. Now, Donna could hear a soft growling reverberating from nearby. She was no longer alone. Donna turned around to face a window that was situated in the wall opposite to where she was standing. Donna felt her heart stop. Standing on the other side of the window was a dark creature constructed practically out of black fire. Its eyes burned with white fire and red fire poured from its mouth. The creature looked to be in the shape of a pony/changeling hybrid. The creature let out a piercing scream before smashing the window. Donna didn't wait around for the creature to catch up to her. She broke into a run and sped through the next door.

After passing through the door, she slammed it shut and barricaded it with a nearby desk. As the fiery creature proceeded to attack the door, Donna continued down the bleak corridor before her.

Bass's Hideout, Gustus Amoris, the Changeling Empire, Gaia, Summer, 56 C.E.

Derpy and Flarewing were sitting silently with the others when Bass returned.

"Did she get in?" Flarewing asked.

"Yes," Bass replied. There was a chorus of relieved sighs in the room. "Although...she got nicked by one of the archers."

"Is she okay?!" asked a worried Derpy.

"She was fine from where I saw her. I can't say that I know anymore of her current condition now as she's probably well into the castle by this point."

"Let's just hope she's able to find Esmeralda's weakness before the beast finds her," said Kell.

"Beast?! What beast?!" asked Derpy.

"That's just a rumor, Kell. Stop scaring the pegasus!" snapped Trix.

"Don't be too positive about that," stated Flarewing. "Nopony's been in that castle for two years. Who knows what lurks in those walls aside from rats, spiders, and Esmeralda's weakness?"

"Let's all just stop worrying and rest for a bit," said Bass. Derpy sighed as she sat down to sip on a glass of water. Everypony was beginning to become calm again when a strange smell began wafting through the air.

"Anypony else smell that?" Derpy asked. The others began sniffing the air and nodded in response.

"What is that?" asked Trix.

"It smells like something's burning," said Kell.

"Burning?" asked Flarewing. Suddenly, everypony froze in their place for a few seconds.

"EVERYPONY GET OUT!" cried Bass. Derpy screamed as the ceiling suddenly caved in, sending a wave of flames rolling towards her and the others. Derpy shielded her face and braced herself for the oncoming pain of fire. However, the pain never came. Derpy moved her forelegs aside and looked in awe as Flarewing stood in the center of the room, absorbing the flames into his body.

"Bass!" Flarewing snapped. "Get Derpy and the others out of here! I've got the fire!" Bass nodded as he grabbed onto Derpy and began leading her and the others through a back exit. Smoke began to fill the destroyed hideout but Flarewing was able to clear the smoke with his abilities. "Now...let's see who started this." Flarewing flew up into the burning second floor. He looked out the nearby window to see none other than a changeling archer looking up at his work. Flarewing's heart stopped as he put the pieces together. The archer must have followed Bass back to the hideout after he helped Donna sneak into the castle. "That sneaky bastard." A cold smile appeared on Flarewing's face. "Let's give him the shock of his life."

Flarewing took in a deep breath and allowed the nearby flames to surround him. Within seconds, the changeling was surrounded in an aura of fire. A few seconds later, the changeling archer found himself scared out of his wits as a burning, angry changeling flew down towards him with a desire for blood.

The Changeling Castle, Gustus Amoris, the Changeling Empire, Gaia, Summer, 56 C.E.

Another pain shot up Donna's leg as she ran down the corridor. The screams of the fiery creature echoed through the air. Donna didn't dare look back. All she thought about was getting away from the creature as fast as humanly possible. She had just round a second bend when she heard the loud sound of exploding wood. The creature had broken through the door and now it was in hot pursuit of her. Donna knew the creature would catch up to her eventually. She had to find a way to lose it. She came to an intersection between two corridors and took a sudden right turn. She then took another bend that ended in a dead end that consisted of a simple, iron door. Donna ran to the door and pulled it open.

A large bedroom was situated on the other side of the door. However, Donna wasn't focused on examining the room. She grabbed some nearby chairs and placed them against the door. "Please don't find me," Donna whispered under her breath as she backed away from the door. She sat down against the wall opposite to where the door was and fell silent. She listened carefully as the fiery creature screamed and smashed its way down the corridors. It was searching for her. It wanted blood. Donna softened her breathing and became as silent as she could manage. A few more shots of pain coursed through her leg. Donna was beginning to grow anxious of the pains. If there was a type of poison in her, there had to be a way to stop the pain and/or at least slow down the effects of said poison. Then Donna remembered the collection of items that Bass had given her. She instantly reached into one of her pockets and pulled out a vial of healing solution. It was sapphire blue and gave off a dim shimmer of light. Donna uncapped the vial and took a quick swig of the solution. It tasted like a mixture of sweet fruits. A refreshing, cool feeling spread throughout Donna's body and honed in around the cut in her leg. "That should take care of that for now." Donna placed the cap back on the vial and stored it back in her pocket.

Suddenly, something strong slammed against the iron bedroom door. Donna ushered all of her willpower into preventing herself from screaming.

How the hell did it find me?! Donna thought as the fiery creature screamed and slammed against the iron door. Donna looked for any other exit out of the room but there was none. She was trapped. Donna's heart raced as the creature continued to smash its body against the door. Donna was so frozen with fear that she couldn't find any words to say. Then, the door burst off its hinges and fell to the floor. Donna shook in terror as the beast of black fire entered the room. It stared at Donna with its white eyes and licked its fiery lips with its red fire tongue.

"Not now," Donna cried. "I can't die now." Donna placed her hands in front of her face and backed up against the wall as the fiery creature walked towards her and prepared for the kill.

Outer Wall, Canterlot, Equestria, Gaia, Summer, 56 C.E.

"Doctor," said Angie. "You're going to want to see this."

The Doctor, Twilight, and Angie had just finished making their rounds and making sure that all of the Equestrian soldiers were prepared. Now, the three ponies were looking over the outer wall and watching as a swarm of angry changelings flew towards the last safe haven of Equestria. Esmeralda was in the lead. Golden sparks fell from her body and a powerful, green aura surrounded her as she flew.

"They'll be here in only a few minutes," said Twilight. The Doctor let out a sigh.

"And so it begins," he uttered.