• Published 19th May 2013
  • 1,744 Views, 76 Comments

Doctor Whooves Episode 17: Angie the Great - Doctor Perseus



As the armies recover, Esmeralda sets her sights on Canterlot. Meanwhile, as Donna ventures into the Changeling Castle, the Doctor, Twilight, and Angie take charge of the Equestrian army while Celestia recovers.

  • ...
3
 76
 1,744

Haven Under Fire

Chapter 4: Haven Under Fire

Outer Wall, Canterlot, Equestria, Gaia, Summer, 56 C.E.

The Doctor, Twilight, and Angie continued to watch as the changelings grew closer and closer to the shielded Canterlot.

"Do you think the shields will hold up?" Angie asked.

"They should. For how long, nopony is sure," Twilight replied. "Changelings have a different kind of magic than that of ponies. It's usually hard to predict the outcomes."

The Doctor looked out towards the oncoming changelings. He noticed the Esmeralda appeared to be flying in their direction. "Twilight. Angie. Go check up with the generals and their soldiers," the Doctor ordered.

"What about you?" Twilight asked.

"I believe I have to discuss a few things with the Queen of the Changelings." Twilight and Angie nodded before beginning to walk away.

"Be careful," they said in unison.

"I'll try my best." Out of the corner of his eye, the Doctor watched Twilight and Angie disappear down a nearby street. He then turned his full attention to the approaching Changeling Queen.

The border of the magical barrier was a couple feet from the outer wall, so whoever was on the outside of the barrier was at least in earshot of whoever was at the outer wall and vice versa. Esmeralda beckoned her soldiers to stop. The soldiers did as they were told and Esmeralda proceeded to glide over to the exterior of the magical boundary. The Doctor took a deep breath and put on a stern look as he approached the edge of the wall. He and Esmeralda then exchanged a series of raw glares. Esmeralda was the first to speak. "So, it's you again," Esmeralda hissed.

"Yes it is," the Doctor replied. "Sorry, but I don't believe we were properly introduced to each other the last time we met."

"Stop playing dumb. You know who I am and I know who you are, Doctor."

The Doctor smiled and gave an amused chuckle. "Of course. However, you only know my name as that's what you heard Princess Celestia call me. You aren't aware what I can be fully capable of...and yet I'm able to deduce what you are capable of."

"I think I know what you're capable of, Doctor. You have a little, metal device at your side that is able to pull of a series of random tricks. Interesting, but not impressive."

"Oh, my Sonic Screwdriver and I have many more abilities up our sleeves. If we're playing guess our opponent's abilities then I guess it's my turn." The Doctor scratched his chin and tilted his head as he examined the changeling before him. "Based on what I've seen of you, my guess is that you have abilities different from that of the average changeling. A sign of this is, for one, seen in the fact that you don't have holes in your body like average changelings. Also, I've seen examples of your abilities as in what you did to that Equestrian soldier. You appear to have abilities that correlate with the body: limbs, organs, blood, and such. Am I correct?"

A wicked smile appeared on Esmeralda's face. "Very clever, Doctor. You appear to be much more intelligent than what I originally gave you credit for."

"It's best not to underestimate your enemies, Esmeralda."

"And now you're just stealing advice from your dear princess. Speaking of Celestia, where is she right now?"

The Doctor froze for a moment. He couldn't dare give Esmeralda the satisfaction of knowing that Celestia was still healing from her wounds. "She's busy organization her army. The reason I'm here is because she has too many duties at hoof at the moment to worry about negotiating with you."

Esmeralda's smile grew wider. "Or, maybe, she's still healing from our battle?"

"Whatever Celestia's up to at the moment has nothing to do with anything at the current moment. We're here to negotiate the status of this pointless war. Plain and simple."

"Oh, on the contrary, Doctor. This war is not pointless. This war represents the ending of the tyrannical rule of the ponies and the beginning of an age of peace under the changelings."

"That's a lie if I've ever heard one. I've seen what your species has done so far. You want nothing but bloodshed and suffering."

"Only to those who have in turn caused us to suffer! Our species has tried long and hard to find peace! But we have always been turned down!"

"If you wanted to get on good terms with other species, invading a country and causing a two-year onslaught of bloodshed isn't a way to earn brownie points."

A cold laugh emanated from Esmeralda's lips. "Well, you know what they say: if you can't join them, kill them."

"I don't think anypony says that."

"I do."

The Doctor let out a loud sigh before continuing to glare angrily at the queen. "I gave you a choice last night, Esmeralda. I gave you the choice to leave this country in peace. You refused and thus both of our armies suffered greatly. Even now, no matter what you or I can say, both of our armies are in absolutely terrible shape. If we battle here, it will most certainly be the end for us all. So, I'll give you one last chance, Queen of the Changelings. Head back to where you came from and leave Equestrian in peace, or stay and fight till there's nothing left to fight for. If you leave now, we can both continue to live on in peace within our own countries. However, if you choose to stay, it will not be pretty. And, no matter what the outcome this battle provides, you will never obtain what you want, Esmeralda. This battle will be the end of you. If you lose, you die. If you win, I will find you. No matter where you go, no matter what you do, I will find you and I will stop you from continuing this reign of terror. These Equestrians are very important to me; and I will defend them to my last breath...or, in the worst case scenario, avenge their deaths. So, Queen Esmeralda, what do you choose?"

The Changeling Queen was silent for a moment. Everything was caught in a moment of tense silence. The Doctor could feel his heart beats increase and decrease rapidly. The changeling soldiers anxiously awaited their queen's orders. Finally, Esmeralda turned to the Doctor with a dark look in her eyes. "I will kill you all," she snarled. She then turned back to her soldiers. "ATTACK!"

The Doctor shook his head as the changelings began to charge and stab at the magical barrier. "I am sorry that this is the fate you have chosen. We could have gone on without this. Oh well," the Doctor sighed as he turned his back on the queen. Without another word, he ran off down a nearby street to help ready the soldiers.

The Changeling Castle, Gustus Amoris, the Changeling Empire, Gaia, Summer, 56 C.E.

Donna shuttered as the warm breath of the beast pressed against her body. She was backed up against the wall with nowhere to go. This was it. She was going to die in this horrible castle, so very far from home.

"I'm sorry, Doctor," she said under her breath. Donna closed her eyes as the creature lunged for her. Upon instinct, she pushed harder into the wall and, surprisingly, she felt the wall disappear from behind her. Donna screamed as she fell back through a hole in the wall and found herself sliding down a slide made out of stone and covered in slippery, non-stick, green mucus. The slide spun around several times and Donna nearly lost her lunch a couple times. She kept looking back, expecting to see the beast sliding after her, but saw nothing following her.

Finally, after two minutes of sliding, Donna found herself falling through a hole in the wall and onto a surprisingly clean carpet. She sat up just in time to see the hole in the wall that she had come from disappear. "Well, that was convenient," Donna coughed as she stood up. As she stood up, she quickly took note of the change in atmosphere.

The place she had landed in was very different from the other parts of the castle she had visited. The corridor she was standing in looked very taken care of. The walls were painted in a refreshing mint green and the carpet was in a smooth lime green. The air felt and smelled fresh and new and all of the furniture looked dusted and polished. There was no doubt that something was living in this part of the castle. The change in atmosphere was nice, but this didn't help calm Donna's nerves. The fiery beast was still out there somewhere and now she had stumbled across confirmation that there was yet something else in the castle with her.

Donna carefully made her way down the corridor. Warm sunlight shone through the clean windows and gave an even more comforting feel to the area. Pictures of prairies, mountains, and flowers hung from the walls and every other table had a fresh collection of roses as well as other flowers that gave off delicious smells. "Am I even in the same castle?" Donna asked herself as she walked along the silky carpet. She rounded a bend and froze in place. At the end of the corridor was a massive door that had a green heart surrounded by red flames painted on it. "This is it." Donna reached into her pocket and pulled out a knife that Bass had given her. She had to be ready for anything.

Donna could hear her heart pounding as she approached the door. The intense silence of the area didn't help calm her down. Seconds seemed to draw on like hours and each step felt like a run through a lake of melted chocolate. Finally, Donna found herself at the door. She gulped hard as she grasped the door handle and yanked the door open. "Oh. My. God," Donna said in disbelief as she peered into the room beyond the door.

Back Road, Gustus Amoris, the Changeling Empire, Gaia, Summer, 56 C.E.

Derpy, Bass, and the others watched as their old hideout burnt to the ground. Flarewing joined them a moment later with a few flames still circling his body.

"About time you showed up," Bass said.

"Sorry. I had to deal with the soldier that destroyed our home. He must have followed you from the plaza," Flarewing stated.

Bass sighed deeply. "Then the fault is mine. After all of these years of paranoia, I should have thought to make sure that nopony was following me."

"It's no use blaming yourself. What's done is done," Derpy stated.

"She's right. All we can do now is find another place to hide until everything blows over," Flarewing added.

"Where do we go from here?" Bass asked.

"I think there's an old bakery we can hide out in for a while," Kell replied.

"It's not much but at least it's something. But the remaining soldiers in the city will be on high alert for us now. No doubt they're going to inspect why that building was burnt down."

"Then let's get away as quickly as we can," stated Flarewing. Derpy and Bass nodded. The pegasus and the changelings then slipped into the shadows to make their way towards their next temporary home.

Royal Hospital, Canterlot, Equestria, Gaia, Summer, 56 C.E.

"With all due respect, your majesty, you still need to recover," pleaded one of the nurses.

"My citizens need me. I...I can't lie around while my city is attacked!" snapped Princess Celestia. The princess was lying in a large hospital bed and was surrounded by a group of nurse mares.

"Having doubts in my abilities, your majesty?" asked the Doctor as he entered the room.

"No. Of course not, Doctor. I just-"

"I understand what you're feeling. You're feeling guilty about being stuck in here while the enemy attacks. However, it would not be wise for you to go and fight in this current state."

Celestia sighed. "I know."

"You've obviously already gotten a taste of Esmeralda's powers. I don't reckon you could handle another dosage at the moment."

"No...I couldn't."

"Trust me, your majesty. I will not let your country fall."

Celestia smiled as she looked up at the Doctor. "I know. You've already kept your promise."

"Hmm?"

"Nevermind. Let's just say that I have complete faith in your abilities to help save my country." Just then, Alec the general entered the room alongside Twilight and Angie.

"Sir," he said as he approached the Doctor. "The shields are holding up well but the changelings are beginning to apply large amounts of their magic into their attacks. I can predict that it is only a matter of time before they are able to penetrate the shields."

"Are the soldiers ready?" the Doctor asked.

"Yes."

"Excellent. What about the civilians?"

"We're having a bit of trouble rounding all of them up and getting them to safe locations."

"Probably because they're terrified out of their wits from stallions in armor pushing them around," said Twilight.

"She's got a point. You need a friendly face there as well," the Doctor added.

"I'll do it," Angie said as she stepped forward. "Twilight, I think you should remain with the Doctor for a while. I can go with General Alec and help escort the civilians to safe locations."

"That might actually help. Thank you, Angie. Alec, take Angie and go help the civilians."

"Yes sir!" said Alec. Angie and Alec then quickly left the room. Twilight couldn't help but look over at Princess Celestia.

"How's the Princess doing?" Twilight asked.

"Better," the Doctor replied. "But she's still in no shape to do any fighting." The Doctor then turned to look at Twilight. "How's your magic doing?"

"I've recovered mostly from casting the shield but there are still a few spells that I'll have problems with for a bit."

The Doctor began making his way over to the door. "Follow me then. We best prepare ourselves for the battle."

"Right!" Twilight walked over to the Doctor as he pulled out his Sonic Screwdriver. "You sure we can take them on?"

"Of course! Don't doubt my abilities, Ms. Sparkle. Besides, the two of us together are a force to be reckoned with! Those changelings won't know what hit them!"

Twilight smiled at the Doctor as she followed him out of the hospital.