• Published 10th Feb 2012
  • 1,904 Views, 71 Comments

What Lies Beyond - Sparx



Rainbow Dash leaves the safety of civilization to do some soul searching, adventure ensues.

  • ...
2
 71
 1,904

Romance and Wrath

Rainbow Dash began to carry Iris on her person at all times. After her last run in with the mirror she was a bit more cautious when leaving home. She got more than a few strange looks around town wielding a blade. Dash knew that she was doing something rather frowned upon, but she just felt unnerved without Iris anymore.

Dash had also been spending less and less time with her friends, she'd been getting too caught up in her new adventures and explorations, it began to become more of a reality beyond the mountains than the boundaries of Ponyville ever were. It wasn't too uncommon that a friend of her's would start to wo cloudrry because they hadn't seen her in a good number of days. There were even days she was missing work.

One day Dash heard a knock at her door. She walked over and answered, revealing Spitfire at the entrance. "Heya Dash, mind if I come in?"

"Spitfire?" Rainbow Dash looked surprised to see her at the door. "Uh... yeah, sure. Come on in." Dash welcomed the yellow pegasus in with a smile, and a little bit of confusion. "What's up?"

"Could ask you the same thing Dashie. Haven't seen you in a number of days. Just thought I'd stop by and check in on what's been happening." Spitfire stepped through the door and made her way to the kitchen where she helped herself to a can of cola in Dash's fridge.

"Check in?" Rainbow Dash Smiled. "You don't have to worry about me Spitfire, I'm the same Dash as always."

"So it seems." Spitfire gave a chuckle and popped the can open with her teeth. "You're still the adorable, lovable Rainbow Dash, and I'm personally aware of that. I'm not checking in on my own accord." Spitfire took a gulp from the can.

"Wha? Then who sent ya?"

Spitfire motioned for Dash to follow her to the door as she walked over to it. "A friend." Dash followed Spitfire to the edge of her cloud where she was motioned to look down. Peeking over the edge, Rainbow Dash could see an orange earth pony looking back up at her. Applejack tipped her hat to Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow and Spitfire floated down, landing next to AJ. "Thank ya kindly fer fetchin' 'er Spitfire." Applejack nodded in thanks. "Y'all alright Rainbow?"

Dash stood straight and strong, showing she was healthy. "Yeah, I'm doing alright. How 'bout you AJ? What's with the worry?"

"Well fer starters, Ah ain't seen ya fer a good week an' a half. Ah'm sure ya can take care a' yerself, ah just... y'know, got a little nervous is all." Applejack chuckled.

"'Course I can take care of myself AJ. No need to worry." Dash chuckled even louder. "Nice to know you care though."

"Good ta hear." Applejack smiled kindly. "Now, Sugarcube. There's somethin'... else we hafta talk about..." Applejack kept her smile but looked rather nervous. "We... know what's been goin' down... amongst the three of us."

Rainbow Dash swallowed hard. "Uh... what do you mean?"

Spitfire gave out a small groan. "No use in playing it that way Dashie, we know you know what we're talking about. We're not gonna scold you... because it's not your fault."

Rainbow Dash was surprised. The two of them weren't demanding a choice, they were smiling. They were concerned for her, and missed her. "We know it can't be easy on ya Rainbow, havin' ta choose between yer friends like this. Ya probably feel like choosing one of us will make the other one feel lesser, an' that choice must be darn near impossible. Ah know that ah wouldn' wanna make that choice." Applejack chuckled lightly.

Spitfire also chuckled. "We understand Dashie. You don't want to hurt us, so you separated yourself so you wouldn't have to, and that shows that you care. But we..." Spitfire's voice caught in her throat for a moment as her eyes began to water. "We love you and we want to see you. So while you were trying to protect us, we spent our time missing you and worrying about you." Spitfire smiled through her building tears. She wiped her eyes with a forehoof. "We're sorry Dashie, we didn't mean to scare you off like we did, but please come back to us." Applejack also looked like she was about to cry, feeling bad for putting her friend in a corner, even if it wasn't on purpose.

"No, you guys... it... It's not your fault." Rainbow Dash tried to console her friends. "Look, I did leave at first to escape all the stress, but..." Rainbow Dash swallowed hard, trying to form the words she was looking for. "Look, I travel out there now, because... It's awesome." The other two looked confused. "Look see, there's monsters and mysteries and lands nopony knows about! It's awesome, you see? I'm an adventurer now, just like Daring Do!"

"But Dashie, how do you get around all the danger?" Spitfire's eyes grew in worry.

Dash smiled in pride. "My sword, her name is Iris. Here let me show you!" Before the other two could protest, Dash flew up into her house.

"Sword?" Applejack's body began to quiver. "Nopony makes swords anymore. Where the hay would Rainbow get one a' them?"

Rainbow Dash floated back down with Iris strapped across her body, posing with pride. "Ya see? Awesome huh?"

"Rainbow..." Applejack had an expression of worry spread wide across her face.

"AJ, don't look at me that way."

"It's awesome Dashie." Spitfire stepped up. Both Applejack and Rainbow Dash looked rather surprised. "No, I mean it. Just look, it's very beautifully made."

"Beautiful yes, but there's no need for a weapon in Ponyville. It's unnervin'. Nopony has owned a sword since Celestia told the smiths to stop makin' 'em." Applejack's brow was glimmering in small beads of sweat, this was obviously an uncomfortable topic for her.

"Dashie is just taking precautions to protect herself against the outside Applejack." Spitfire insisted. Applejack didn't say anything. "Though, one question if I may." Spitfire's attention turned back towards the blade and Rainbow Dash stood to attention. "How are you able to hold onto it with a silk handle? Wouldn't it slip right out?"

"It's enchanted!" Rainbow Dash grabbed Iris in her teeth, pulling the blade out with a swift motion, revealing the faintly sea foam colored blade and the runes it held. "See, this one right here holds it in place, even while I talk. It's really convenient. Watch." Dash opened her mouth and the blade stayed completely still. She moved her head left and right and the blade followed, staying between her upper and lower jaw. "Isn't that awesome?"

Spitfire looked in amazement. "I've never seen such fine craftsmanship. Both beautiful and resourceful." She looked up to Rainbow Dash. "Much like a certain pegasus I know." Her flirting caused the rainbow maned pony to blush and smile.

Dash returned her blade to it's sheath, turning her attention back to her friends. "Ah don't like it." Applejack replied. The two pegasi looked at the upset earth pony. "Ah'm sorry but ah don't. Rainbow shouldn't need to go defendin' herself. You should be here, with us. Ya have a bunch of us worried, an' if we let ya go, then what's ta stop ya from gettin' hurt or even worse?" Rainbow Dash looked back at Applejack with rather wet eyes.

"Applejack, we can't stop her from doing something that's a part of her life now. If she enjoys it and she can take care of herself then I trust her." Spitfire stood in between them, facing the orange mare. "We can't tell her what she can and can't do, that's up for her to decide."

"Ah know that, but ah'm worried for her. She's goin' out there riskin' her life. Am ah just s'posed ta stand around an' accept that? Ah can't do that Spitfire, fer the very same reason you insist on lettin' her go an' do it. Ah love Rainbow, an' ah know you do too." Applejack, who had been holding back until now, broke down. Tears fell from her face, hitting the ground hard. "Ah just can't accept it Rainbow. Ah'm sorry, but stay here an' be safe." She wiped at her tears, but to no avail. She began to completely bawl, screams of emotional agony escaping her throat.

Spitfire frowned as well, eyes watering. She couldn't argue that, she did love her Dashie. The two mares had equally powerful feelings for the cyan pegasus, but their approaches were almost completely opposite of one another. Spitfire showed acceptance and even relation to Dash, strengthening and encouraging her best traits, well aware that she would be able to keep up and follow. Applejack wanted Rainbow to remain close so the two of them could enhance one another where the other was lacking, covering her loved one's weaknesses while she did the same.

Rainbow Dash let out a scream of anguish as well, tears flowing down her cheeks. "DAMMIT!" Her wings flared out and she took off at high speed. She had to get away from this, beyond the mountains where she could escape. She couldn't get far enough. She kept flying, on and on, as far as she could push herself and then some, distance was the only thing that mattered.

She passed Smith's island, the cave she found the mirror, and continued going. Soon the land beneath her became dark, and she felt her body spend it's final reserves of energy. She began to lose altitude and speed, her eyes blurred with tears and drooping without even enough energy to keep them open. The ground rose up to meet Rainbow Dash as she continued, the very dirt stained black and a foul green. The last thing Dash saw was the poisoned earth and dead trees all around her, the last thing she could smell was a wet muddy musk, the last sound she heard was the roar of the wing as she continued forward, then the sound of her body hitting the ground. Then she passed out...