• Published 10th Feb 2012
  • 1,901 Views, 71 Comments

What Lies Beyond - Sparx



Rainbow Dash leaves the safety of civilization to do some soul searching, adventure ensues.

  • ...
2
 71
 1,901

Amaranth

"I have to warn Ponyville! I have to tell my friends! Fluttershy, Twilight, Rarity, AJ, Pinkie Pie, Spitfire, all of them, they're in trouble!" Rainbow Dash had never maintained a rainboom for this long, but she didn't even think about becoming tired after her recent encounter. She flew harder than she had ever flown, adrenaline nullifying any pain that would normally occur.

From Ponyville, Applejack looked up at the sky. She had heard a blast from beyond the mountains earlier, and now witnessed a rainbow making it's way to Sweet Apple Acres. "Rainbow..." Applejack watched the rainbow approach, and ran after it as it flew overhead. "Rainbow, come back! Ah'm sorry! Please!" Tears formed in Applejack's eyes, before the rainbow started to drop, and dive into the orchard. "Oh no... RAINBOW!" Applejack dashed hard to catch up to the falling pegasus. In mere seconds she saw Dash's body, struggling to stay afloat as she fell to the earth. As Dash fell into the dirt, Applejack rushed to her side. "Rainbow, Rainbow! Are you alright Sugarcube?"

Rainbow Dash coughed and panted, spitting out a mouthful of soil. "Applejack... We have to... we have to warn Ponyville.... to warn... The Princess. Equestria... is... is..." Rainbow Dash gasped for air hard.

"Warn 'em about what RD? What happened? Rainbow, c'mon, are you alright?" Applejack helped her friend up straight, supporting her.

"To warn... Equestria is in da-" for a split second, Rainbow Dash could hear a small voice in the back of her head. No no no! Now is not the time for them to know just yet. Just... forget, for a little bit. We'll give this back to you when the time is right to tell them. "...Is in... Equestria... is... I... I can't remember." Rainbow Dash placed her hoof on her head, tapping to try and jog her memory. "I just don't... remember. I was flying away... after you and Spitfire. And... I flew back. I..."

"You were sayin' somethin' 'bout warnin' the princess. What was it?" Applejack looked into Dash's magenta eyes, searching for the answer, and for just a moment, she could swear she saw a pale green flash in her friend's gaze.

"Warn... no... I came back." Rainbow Dash took a step back and smiled. "Don't know what the hay I was thinking, sorry if I worried you Applejack. I just came back to catch back up at home for a little bit. "

"That's not exactly funny Rainbow." Applejack let out a sigh. "But if yer sure nothin's wrong, then ah guess it's alright. Ah'm just glad to see you back Sugarcube."

Rainbow Dash flashed a grin to Applejack. "How about we go find the rest of the crew?"

"Alright, RD, if you day so." Something seemed weird to Applejack, something off, but she wasn't going to complain about her friend coming back.

The two ponies walked into town together, Dash leading the way. Every now and again a pony would walk up to Dash and greet her with a "nice to see you again Dash," or "long time no see Rainbow." She would politely bow her head and smile or grant a reply to each of them. The duo continued down the road until they came across the carousel boutique. "I haven't seen Rarity in a good long while. Let's say hi!" Applejack nodded at this suggestion and followed Rainbow Dash as she trotted inside. "RARITY!" Rainbow Dash grinned wide.

"Oh? Is that?" The white unicorn turned around from her work and smiled. "Rainbow Dash! It's been a long time since I've seen you darling. About a whole month now." Rarity walked over to the blue pegasus with a wide grin and a glimmer in her eyes. "A month among friends is positively ages, darling. Oh, but it's good to see you again. You're doing well I hope? And Applejack, always nice to see you here as well, though do make sure to wipe your hooves dear."

"Ah know ah know." Applejack mumbled under her breath as she wiped her feet down on the rug outside the door.

"Well what brings you by my dears? If I'd known you were coming I would have thrown on something for the occasion." Rarity said.

"No worry, it's not like we wear clothes very often anyways." Rainbow Dash walked over and placed a hoof on her friend's shoulder.

"Regardless, I still wish I had." Rarity took a moment to clear her throat, then noticed something. "Is that a sword?" Rainbow Dash turned her head back to Iris and back to Rarity, ready for the scream of concern to slip from her friend's lips. "Thats..." The pegasus braced her ears. "Beautiful!"

"Wait...huh?" Rainbow Dash and Applejack looked back to Rarity who had a tremendous shine in her eye.

"Oh Rainbow Dash, I haven't seen such a fine blade since my grandfather was still alive. My it sure looks fabulous with the silk on the handle. I'm guessing it's been enchanted, a sword this fine is always filled with brilliant magics." Rarity admired the blade in it's sheath, staring at the detail work.

"Yeah, actually. Uh... Rarity how do you..."

"Oh, but of course, I'm very sorry. My grandfather fought for Equestria you see, way back when us ponies would actually fight of course. We don't act so barbarically anymore. But still, a blade is an art piece, not simply a tool of death. Whoever made this one certainly knew that. May I see?" Rarity looked back up to Rainbow Dash with admiring eyes. Dash smiled and drew Iris, revealing the brilliant sky blue blade and the runes inscribed onto it. "Oh my! Darling, this is... this is magnificent! The detail, the precision, the craftsmanship, and just- Oh Darling it's MAGNIFICENT!" Rarity squealed in delight. "I'm assuming you've named such a fine piece of craftsmanship?"

"Yeah, I call it Iris." Rainbow Dash spoke with the blade retaining it's location.

"A marvelous name." Rarity looked dreamily at the blade. After only a moment her eye sparked. "IDEA!"

"Oh no, Rarity, don' be encouragin' her. Nopony should be holdin' a blade these days." Applejack stamped her hoof down in disapproval.

"Oh pish posh Applejack, there's no rules against it. If Dash wishes to own a weapon, it's not our place to say she can't." Rarity lectured as Dash returned Iris to it's sheath. Applejack looked at the two of them rather steamed. Rarity returned her attention to Rainbow Dash. "Now Rainbow Dash, I have an offer for you, and you can't tell anypony about this, you neither Applejack. I've a latent talent that I don't usually share with anypony, a skill that my grandfather taught me when Sweetie bell was just born. You see, my parents may have become rather... unappreciative of the family theme of crafting, however as you can see, I went to continue pursuing such. My grandfather's talent was creating armor, mainly fine leathers. While it was rather crude, he taught me his craft as well. It's a secret practice of mine, but when I have the small windows of free time, it's a hobby." Rarity spoke in a hushed voice as Dash's eyes widened and Applejack looked on in interest. "Rainbow Dash, I would like to fashion you a suit of leather armor, something grand, something powerful, a true work of art worthy to be used with Iris there."

Rainbow Dash beamed from ear to ear. "Rarity, that would be AWESOME! Absolutely, thank you! Thank you thank you thank you!" Dash flew over and hugged Rarity tight in her forehooves.

"Now hold on just a second there. Rarity, wha the hay would you offer such a thing?" Applejack spoke in an urgent voice.

"Oh relax Applejack, it's a project. I'm doing it because it will keep my friend safe yes, but I'm doing it for my own interest as well darling." Rarity looked at Applejack with a frown. "Now Applejack, dear, I don't know what's gotten you so upset, but this is something very important to me." Rarity placed a forehoof on Applejack's shoulder.

Applejack looked back into Rarity's eyes, seeing the determination in her eyes. She gave out a sigh. "Fine."

Rarity gave Applejack a loving hug. "Rainbow Dash is a big girl. She'll be alright darling." And in a whisper, Rarity went to Applejack's ear. "You have to accept those you love darling, I can tell you, you won't go unanswered if you allow her to be herself." She pulled back from Applejack's blonde mane and smiled. "Alright Rainbow Dash, come back in just a few days. In order to fit the theme you have with Iris, we'll craft the flower of immortality. Amaranth!"