• Published 10th Feb 2012
  • 1,901 Views, 71 Comments

What Lies Beyond - Sparx



Rainbow Dash leaves the safety of civilization to do some soul searching, adventure ensues.

  • ...
2
 71
 1,901

Lord of the Blacksmiths

Dash continued her flight, searching the ground below her. There was far more forest than she ever thought there would be. Was the rest of Equestria the Everfree Forest? But no, she saw in the distance a small island in the middle of it all, seperated from all the trees by a small body of water around a log hut. "I wonder if anypony lives over there? Why would they though? So far away from everypony else." Dash flew closer to the ground. "Maybe they're like Zecora and want to stay close to their ingredients?" As Dash made her landing she looked around. There was a furnace and an anvil nearby, next to the moat. "Or... maybe not." Leaning against the hut Dash was able to identify sets of armor and blades. "Swords? I didn't think anypony made these anymore. Nopony has used a weapon like these in years." Dash couldn't help but admire the work put into the craft of the blade. She found no chinks or dents anywhere in the metal. She saw her reflection and smiled, she had to admit that she really did look good.

As she continued to admire herself, Dash realized there was another shape in the blade's reflection. Dash grabbed the hilt of the blade in her mouth and jumped to the side quickly as a giant lobster claw smashed into the ground that she was just at. Dash turned to face her attacker and saw a greenish yellow lobster standing on four clawed legs and two giant claws with tentacles dangling from it's mouth. The creature stood about three times taller than Dash herself. The giant lobster turned towards dash squealing in a watery gargle towards her. Dash moved out of the way of another attack and made a counter of her own, flying at the creature and cutting off a good number of it's tentacles from it's face

A shout in what Dash interpreted as agony escaped the creature as it swung it's claw around to try and smack the pegasus again. Dash flew above the chitinous hammer, dodging the swing and stabbing the creature at the joint where it's claw connected to it's arm. After applying enough force on the joint, Dash let out a grunt and chopped off the claw from the lobster shaped creature. Another squelching cry escaped the creature with Dash jumping off to it's side. She stuck the blade into the ground and gave a laugh. "Lose something? You're quite ugly ain't ya?" No sooner had she finished her taunt she saw the creature's tentacles begin to excrete a foul yellow liquid. "Right, you look pissed. Avoid the rest of the tentacles." Dash Took up the blade once more and dodged as the creature tried to clasp her in it's giant claw. She flew up before stomping down onto the hard shell on the back of the monster, forcing it to land face first into the ground. I know Fluttershy wouldn't approve of this... but this thing isn't exactly a bunny. Rainbow Dash forced the tip of her sword into the head of the creature and forced it further into it's brain. The monster howled in horror before it became silent.

"Impressive, it's been a while since I've seen a pony able to take down a chuul that effectively." Dash heard a rather masculine voice from behind her and turned to see a brown pegasus male land behind her with a large and gnarled gray beard. He had saddlebags filled with stones and ores. On his flank was a symbol of crossed swords with a helmet above them. "Not since me at least."

Dash stepped off the dead monster and walked over to the pony. "A what now?"

"A chuul, one of them things you just slayed. You hold a weapon nicely little one." The brown stallion walked over to the creature and pulled the blade out of it's body and back where it started.

Dash blushed. "Well I've fought monsters before, we have quite an array over the mountains. Though I'll admit I've never dealt with a sword before."

"Could've fooled me, you hold it just like the pegasi of years ago." He spoke, turning back to meet her gaze.

"Huh? what do you mean?" Dash walked over to help the old man push the chuul back into the water.

"I mean you fight like the pegasi of yore. Before Equestria was tamed. Before Canterlot and Ponyville. Before ponies started fighting with their hooves and magic rather than a well built blade. And I was the best at making the craft." The old pony sounded nostalgic as he spoke.

Dash looked at him in confusion. "Uh, I know this may be a bit early of a question to ask, I don't even know your name but... How old are you?"

The pegasus chuckled to himself. "The name is Steel Edge. You can call me Smith if ya like. And let's just say I'm older than you by a good number of years." Smith walked over to his furnace and placed his saddlebags down next to it. "So, who might you be?"

"Name's Rainbow Dash! The fastest flyer in all of Equestria." Dash hovered around the pony in pride.

"Rainbow Dash huh? Nice ring to it. What are you doing so far away from the rest of those ponies?"

"I could ask you the same thing."

The brown pegasus smiled. "Well, it's a different story than most you'd hear. I used to make the weapons for Celestia's army as well as all the armor you can see them wearing still. Years ago the princesses decided to abandon any and all weapons from use and they had no use for an old sword smith like myself. I got angry and left, built a nice little place here over the mountains and away from Ponyville. I've spent years perfecting my craft, I even dug up all the materials around my hut here and turned it into an island. To make up for it, I started flying out and collecting my materials. I make perfect blades and armor now, and I defend myself and my home. Though I'll admit, it's nice to have some company again after such a long time alone."

"I could imagine." Dash landed and admired the work that Smith had spent years perfecting. "You're really good."

"So, I answered, now it's your turn."

"OH." Dash remembered why she had come out in the first place. "Let's just say I had some soul searching to do, and I thought a little adventure would help me."

"Then you came to the right place Rainbow Dash. As you can see, monsters roam around like ants here. Though if you plan on staying, you'll need a weapon." Smith grabbed a block of ore and tossed it into his furnace.

"Oh I don't plan on staying..." Dash thought to herself. "But... I may come out here more often."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, I have to admit, it was kind of fun taking down that... chuul. I haven't had adrenaline course through me like that in a long time. I felt like Daring Do when she fought off the giant crab of the Nickel Nile."

Smith chuckled again as he pressed on the bellows. "Well then, I'll make sure you have a way to defend yourself if you'd like. You seem to use a sword well, just as a pegasus should."

Dash watched as Steel Edge worked with his forge. "About how long will it take? And is it going to look cool? It has to be about as awesome as I am if I'm going to use it. And why would you make a sword for somepony you just met?"

Smith gave out a loud and sudden laugh. "Oh Dash, you haven't seen a Steel Edge sword at it's finest. I guarantee you, you'll have the coolest sword in Equestria. You have a spark in you that reminds me of myself when I was young, and I like that. You make me want to do the impossible and make the greatest blade that will never be surpassed. Come see me tomorrow, and I should be putting the finishing touches on it. I'll work all night and it will be my crown jewel."

Dash watched as Steel Edge's eyes glowed with the fire from his furnace and the grin on his face magnified. She'd only seen such determination from herself once before, when she managed her second rainboom. "Awesome..."