• Published 14th May 2013
  • 15,206 Views, 118 Comments

My Little Crusade - Inquisitor-Awesome



what would happen if a dying equestria was forced to leave their home, and ended up in our world, but not in its technological marvel today, but in an era of chivalry, religion, and war.

  • ...
14
 118
 15,206

Chapter 1: Calm before the meeting


New Equestrian - Patrol Security Headquarters - Cloud Height: Griffin Report Stall.

Time: Evening.


“So, Sergeant Redwood, you saying to me, with no fooling around, that nothing occurred in this patrol? From what I know you have arrived with a severely wounded corporal who lost most of his chestplate and has many wounds covering most of his body. This doesn’t seem like a simple patrol.”

“He ran into a griffin, sir.”

“Run by that me again?”

“A female, sir.”

“Huh, that explains it. Us ladies do have needs, Sergeant, don’t forget that.”

“I never do... ma’am.

“What was that?”

“Nothing, sir.”

“Good, but before you depart, are you sure there’s nothing else to report? About your subordinates?”

“I am pretty sure, sir. It was nothing but a plain, and simple, day of patrol. Nothing special.”.


New Equestria - Northern Enchanted Forest - Cloud Level

Time: Dawn. One day before.


“So... what was it that the new monarch was going about. Anygriffon?” Said a disgruntled griffon guard trying to break the silence. The other two griffins, which were accommodated to the monotonous silence, were caught off guard by its sudden braking. One of the two at least.

“Huh? Oh that. Yes, the thing was that due to the sudden loss of our domain we’re all are apparently Equestrians now.” The other griffon guard replied annoyed by the constant failed tries of entertainment from his partner.

“Why “Equestrians?” We’re better than those ponies, they fell easily to Discord’s attacks and they needed our help to stop him.” Said the once disgruntled griffon that was now boosting standing on the cloud.

The clouds were few and far between, it always was with missions of the patrol, patrols that were always easy to do. Search and report anything found in the area, and that never got out of these three griffin’s minds, as they were on their third lap of vigilance. At least that was what they were supposed to be doing. Now they were resting in a group of clouds.

It was a boring day. And talking became an actual interesting activity as the two griffins were so immersed in conversation that they didn’t took note of the third griffin moving at the edge of a cloud in attention.

“It’s apparently due to the power of that alicorn mare, “Celestia” as they called her in the barracks. The one with that flank thing that tells that she can move the sun,” the griffin huffed in annoyance, “that convinced our glorious ruler, and you are due to remember that, Copper Spear.”

“You make it sound like the ponies have more power than us, remember that they needed our help to stop a lord of chaos, without us they would have lost the entire war! You are easy to forget that, Moon Moon.” Said Copper Spear seriously until the end that slowly turned into a grin.

Copper Spear was as normal as an armored corporal could be. The headgear, which was decorated with a two iron line symbol which confirmed his rank, was decorated with one of his self-removed grey feathers. The dark brown fur that appeared excessively groomed was barely visible beneath the necessities of basic iron armor, which covered the most vital areas of the neck, chest, underbelly and legs. He also had a double layer iron gauntlets in the sides of his talons, mostly defense purposes. But the biggest feature to note, were his golden yellow eyes. Shining at the reaction he was getting from Moon Moon

“‘You are easy to forget’, Copper Spear, is my name. Moon Stone. Don’t you ever say Moon Moon in my presence again.” Moon Stone said with eyes of a predator staring at a bigger predador.

Moon Stone was an average built griffin. Clear white-clean feathers were uncommon, but not rare in the griffins species. His whitish-yellow fur was almost perfectly covered by the iron armor, but any space with no plates was met with brown rope that pulled in the armor for comfort. The plates themselves were slim, designed for a headfirst dive into close range and melee, ‘sword flesh’ was a more common term used for his kind of job. Especially with the kind of helmet that graced his constantly bashing head. One iron strip on the front of the headgear. The green of his eyes boiling with an always present anger, but contained by the subordination he was accustomed to.

“But, Moon Moon~, why should we change the name is soooo easy to say, and it’s funny as you wouldn’t believe.” Copper all but laughed harder when Moon Stone released a growl.

“Oh funny, huh? Then it would be funny if your helmet finds a very nice and warm place up your-”

“Chicks, shut your peaks.” Yelled the silent third griffon, with that Copper and Moon immediately silenced in attention. “I believe I heard something of significance...”

“What is it Sergeant Redwood?” Replied Copper Spear, looking actually serious for once as whatever he wanted to say to Moon Stone was left behind for a moment.

Redwood was one of the many in-battle promoted Sergeant, his headgear with smaller than Copper Spear’s, but has a wider base and adorned with four iron stripes. His greyish-white feathers had scars which feathers would never grow again; product of close calls in combat. His golden fur had burned patches in the base of the flanks and lower chest, most likely due to flying away from a traitorous Dragon. This at least with what was observable due to his armor.

Now, when it came to practicality, Redwood wore the best out there. Flexible Iron plated armor was a luxury obtained by means he would never reveal--being the only male griffin warrior before the war had been with advantages he didn’t care for. It was the most flexible iron griffin-smiths could make. It covered him from head to talon and paw. Concealing as much area as possible, to offer as much protection possible, before becoming impossible to anygriffin to weight battle with. His magenta colored eyes were in a permanent expression of seriousness, at least that’s what everycreature that has ever met him had said.

“I heard something saying something about a feast.” Replied the Sergeant in his usual angry tone.

“What? A feast, really?” Exclaimed the now very confused Moon Stone, he knew of the shortages, anycreature with a stomach knew of the shortages.

“Yes, a feast, Private Moon Moon, did you get clouds in your ears now?” Said the Redwood, giving Moon Stone something to grieve.

“No, sir.” Replied Moon Stone, not flinching much at the nickname when said by the commanding officer.

“FOR THE FOOD!” The three griffins snapped out of their interaction at the sound of the loud yell. Quickly peeking to their respective edges of cloud the trio searched for the yelling land wanderer.

“Who was that?” Said Copper Spear voice full of frustration. There was just too much space his eyes could cover, how was he-

“Oh, I see a group near the forest.” Said Copper Spear actually impressed with the fact that he found them, or even seen anything. He was not used to searching in that matter, in fact, it was his first time. So he mentally pat himself in the back. Moon Stone and Redwood side-taloned close to Copper’s Edge of the cloud to see what he meant.

“Yeah, there.” Said Copper pointing at the moving trees. He caught glimpses of the shapes that traveled in between gaps of capony. Giving him a general idea of what he was seeing. “…are those, ponies?”

“Yeah. That’s the area the pony from Patrol Search two should be at. Where are they going exactly?” Asked Moon Stone more to himself than the others.

“I don’t know, Private, but while you wait here with your tail up between your legs, I’m going to take the initiative and have a look.” Said Sergeant Redwood, his constant probs to Moon Stone were a common thing Moon was, unhappily, getting used to.

“Yeah, Moon Moon, you stay here, while we do the real work.” Said Copper Spear with a sly smirk, at that Moon Stone did react.

“Real work? Copper, you take more naps than an ursa in the winter, and you’re somehow still a higher ranking than me.” Said Moon Stone irritation taking over his voice.

“Naps?” Asked Copper mockingly, already left behind by the Sergeant who had taken flight, “Oh you mean my tactical planning in case we’re ever attacked so I will know who to yell at in such a scenario, command thinks to agree with me.”

“Whatever, let’s just catch up with Redwood before he leaves us… again” Said Moon Stone with his wings opening in expectation before taking off.

“Okay. Alright, Moon Moon, lets hurry up before he yells at you again as he does all the time.”

Move it, chicks! The time to move out was days ago!” Screeched their commander Redwood, making their ears hurt somewhat.

“Coming, sir.” Replied Moon Stone, he knew the experienced Sergeant could hear him.

“Jeez just because he is a veteran from the chaotic war doesn’t mean he can be this snippy with us.” Copper said, starting to feel the command of Redwood quite heavy.

“Shut it, Copper, you know he can hear you even from this distance.” Whispered Moon Stone, not wanting to get in any worst with his commanding officer.

“Yeah I can hear ya two lion brains alright!” Said Redwood who was closer now that Moon and Copper were catching up. “Now move it, daylight’s wasting and I don’t want to lose what is going on with those ponies.”

The Griffons flew silently, stalking the ponies from over the clouds to the newly found interest in new Equestria. But even with the Sergeant Redwood’s experience he didn’t notice that they were being followed themselves.


New Equestrian Patrol Security - Group three.

Time: Dawn

“So... Swift Hooves... why… are... we… following… the Griffons?” Said one of the three Zebras gasping for air. The three lurked stealthily, glancing to the air once or twice to give an analytic stare to the griffins above, stopping when they stopped. Which was now, for the tired zebra’s eternal gratitude.

“Were you deaf when the pony was yelling out of his lungs?” Said the female Zebra in a tone full of authority.

“Huh?” Was the smart response of the tired Zebra.

“They said they found food and we are going to investigate, Silent Trot.” Said the other male Zebra nearby, his annoyance couldn’t be more obvious with his tone and his ears which were bent backwards.

Silent Trot was a of the basic color selection of any zebra, white stripes with black fur, but what made him different were his eyes. Brown. Indeed a unique color for any zebra. But with his slim built muscles, which came from his job as a scout, his eyes didn’t raise much his stature. He looked like any recruit by zebra standards. His wicker light armor--personally designed--was made for scouts for its silence and ability to carry personal survival items.

“Shh! Lower your voices, they’re going to hear us.” The zebra leader whispered as she looked into the sky, easily spotting the silhouettes of the three griffons on the clouds. The other two rolled their eyes and did as ordered.

“But didn’t the griffons have bad hearing?” Silent Trot asked to the female zebra.

Without losing sight of the griffins Swift Hooves gestured with a hoof to the other male zebra. “Tell him Grillis.”

“Swift Hooves, please call my full name when in mission.” The male zebra named Grillis asked Swift Hooves in a tone of frustration that showed how many times he said the same thing.

Due to Swift Hooves’ female attributes she was smaller sized compared to her male counterparts. The two golden rings on her neck showed her experience as a female scout, while her armor, as Silent Trot’s, was of wicker material. But her particular design was of a sow of leaves on top of it for camouflage. It muffled the sounds and movements of things making contact with her when moving in the forest. Solely for silence and speed. But nothing of that mattered now as by the way she stared at Grillis with her blue eyes, she was about to break some sort of record in sound volume.

“Stripped Grillis, could you please?” Swift said pausing dangerously in each phrase.

Stripped Grills was of average rough built zebra with three induced ranking scars near the sides of the neck, showing his expertise as a male scout, but the placement of the scars clearly showed his other attribute for wilderness survival. His thick wicker based armor was actually one of the only carrying materials, and its design was only to carry materials. It offered no protection whatsoever.

Stripped Grills smiled, bothering Swift Hooves every time she spoke was a full time job he enjoyed far too much for his own good. But as asked/commanded he turned to the now less tired Silent Trot for a good old fashioned explanation. Grillis style.

“The Griffons have eyesight and hearing far superior than that of ponies and zebra’s alike. If I recall correctly, in the war while in recon, I was nearly spotted by an hostile Griffon nearly a mile away; they saw my Hooves. Keep in mind these are of white color, in contrast of the normal green and brown background. I had noticed the patrol, but suspected I wasn’t seen. But when I was heard their screeches from afar, I knew I was spotted. But luckily It was only due to the many sounds in the forest that I survive that encounter.” Stripped Grillis’ way of speech could be considered that of a interesting professor, he paused; eyes unfocused, remembering his younger days as a scout.

“So Swift Hooves are we okay to continue resting? Or are the Griffons on the move again?” Asked the less but still tired Silent Trot as he completely ignored what he considered Grillis’ rant.

SMACK!

“Ouch, Grillis? What was that for?” Silent Trot complained as he rubbed the back of his head with his forehoof.

“Boy, you better listen to my stories. They could possibly save your life one day.” Said Stripped, his initial annoyance towards Silent Trot returning in full strength.

“Why should I listen to you, you’re neither an elder nor a veteran.”

SMACK

“Ouch! Swift? What was that for?!”

“Shut it Trot, he kept me alive during the Chaos war with stories alone, from both surviving in the wilderness and discorded bears. In the end, Grillis knows things, so when he tells you something, you listen, or else.” Swift Hooves said with a hoof dangerously close to the stallion’s eye. Not listening to Grillis advice was a touchy subject for Swift.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry I get it.”.

“Good, now get ready to move out, the Griffons are on the move again.” Stated Stripped Grillis, moving ahead of both zebras to make sure not to lose sight of the griffins.

Silent Trot to be spared of any punishment didn’t complain when he has to trot again, but still clearly showing he was tired. Struggling to keep up.


Location: Unknown, seven miles to New Equestrian shore.
Time: Dawn


“Fifty ducats on Mark!”

“Alright, we got fifty ducats on the new guy! Who bets for the champion?! Come on, come on wage your money on the ten month champion and two year Crusader Veteran, Jacque the Steel Giant!” Said the man holding the bets for today, it usually rotated depending on who has done a better job.

The “God’s Generosity”, was a trading ship, originating from the famous Venetian Arsenal, which meant that the interior was made to hold and transport many men for battle. But when in the trade business, all it did was food. Even with that the whole space wasn’t used, the very reason why it was so easy to make fights on the ship without being disturbed.

The room was at full activity, at least in the right side of the stairwell behind a wall of barrels that blocked any curious non participant from directly seeing the fighting. With a lookout making sure that if someone came down the stairs they had time to fake innocence.

The ‘fighting area’ was a place meant for the men to eat and speak to each other, the tables and chairs hid the bloodstains in the floor easily. But the two main participants cared not for that, nor for the rest yelling their names repeatedly; cheering because they liked them way too much, or because they were going to receive an exuberating amount of gold for their victory.

Jacque the Steel Giant made his title proud, standing tall at eight and a half feet, pants being the only set of clothes he had on, and his black straight hair could be confused with a dirty mop. But his red looking eyes with the glare of lamps sure made him look dangerous. If not that then from his set of defined muscles.

Mark on the other side wasn’t as tall, but he wasn’t weak either. He stood proudly at six feet, and like Jacque had only his set of pants on. With his curly brownish-blond hair and brown eyes with a slim figure he had since ever, he looked more like a slippery fighter than a warrior.

“Remember the rules men, no upper armor, and no whining like a Bride of a Troll.” Said the bet man, he was in the zone receiving bets after bets.

“Hey bet keeper!” Yelled Mark at the man the room fell silent, an attempt to hear what the young man was going to say, Mark smirked, “ten ducats on the iron giant.”

The steel giant was not fond of being called a lesser material, and as such responded by throwing the first punch for Mark to receive. But he had expected such action and dodged it skillfully. And with a roar from the crowd, not as loud as if could’ve been, the fight began.

The men who were not fighting began dragging everything in the ‘fighting area’ within the ship to protect the belonging and not get a ‘pay cut’ from damaging the trader’s property.

Jacque advanced with a jab towards Mark’s lower guard, but unlike the one before this was unexpected, Mark was unable to dodge, so in response he hopped back as the time the hit connected to lessen the force of the hit. Mark was safe, but the giant wasn’t done. Using his still resting left fist by rotating his stance to the left side Jacque proceeded to smack Mark in his right cheek. Not even believing him worthy to receive a full out punch. The spectating group either cheered or groaned, depending on their bets.

Mark spun and stumbles, but didn’t fall as expected. He stumbled forward and swung his body directing towards Jacque. By using the momentum of the hit which had spin him to leap at the steel giant.

The steel giant was surprised by the quick recovery, but not enough to be startled by it. Grabbing Mark in mid air, using his size to his full advantage, Mark’s trajectory continued with added force of Jaque to the other side of the room, which was the wall that was at the side of the stair entrance; passing it like paper he reached a space that was just occupied by a man who was stumbling to move the barrels blocking his path. The Venetian merchant. Their employer.

If any of the men were paying attention they would’ve noticed the lookout about to say about the new man’s arrival.

“Guards I just came t-OMPH.”

Mark and his employer collide with each other. The force was so great that Mark was immediately blessed with unconsciousness, this was called a blessing only due to the immediate wrath of the employer that was going to fall upon his men as he raised from the wooden floor.

“What are you idiots doing? I need you in perfect health for my money to have value! I paid you to be healthy and fight my enemies not to fight each other!” Yelling the Venetian merchant his rage was at full go.

He would have continued with his ranting if it wasn’t for an incredibly loud-

WWWWWWWOOOOOOPPPPP

And as if the sound invited it, a huge wave of pressure tilted the ship in an incredibly dangerous angle. Wood cracked, the occupants flew, and the world tilted left.

The screams of an entire crew resounded in the ocean, all silenced after the first three seconds of the shock as the ship rocked back and forth until it rested steady, as if nothing had happened.

The merchant to his credit wasn’t knocked unconscious due to the incredible force that would have put a battering ram to shame. Combined with fear, anger, and very, very, good endorphins and adrenaline the merchant proceeds to yell and whack anyone that was on top of him as if there was no tomorrow.

“Can. You. Oafs. Get. Any. Sense. Of. Dignity. And. Get! Your! Arses! Off of me!!”

The entire crew, minus the merchant and those around him, groaned and complained, except for the ‘steel giant’ who proceeds to get up and help his employer by throwing the person on top of him off.

“Thank you Jacque, now let us see who is the idiot who thought this ship was an easy take.”

The merchant proceeds to the armory and quickly put on some light mail and byzantine plate armor. Somewhat exited from the possible incoming fight. The crew ran out to the deck, the merchant already sighting around, for who or what was attacking them.

“Oy, where are the men who were on the deck!” Yelled the merchant hoping the men were actually hiding and not dead.

“Help!!” “In the water!” “Down here!!”

The merchant heard several yells from the ocean, the opposite side the ship tilted; Moving to the border he saw the deck crew in the ocean sea, struggling to stay afloat in their light armor.

“You Oafs! Help me rescue these men before they drown!” As ordered quickly the guards, taking off their heavy gear, dived in to rescue.

Leo was a unique kind of merchant, the kind that was sick of the ineffectiveness of guards for protection, and so he trains himself to great strength. He always believed in ‘if you want something done right, do it yourself’ motto, but of course he still needed guards to not be outnumbered in any fights. But what he lacked as a merchant was business enterprising; a merchant for about seven years, but has yet to make the fortune which he has always dreamed of. But now wasn’t a moment to complain of the misfortunes, now was a moment to think and act.

Leo by experience knew that anything that can force a ship to move with such a way, damaged or broke something important, and so they needed to land or dock to make an assessment of the ship before he could continue his journey to trade with Jerusalem.

“Spotter! We need to find land as soon as possible so get to the crow’s nest and keep a vigilant eye for any land; we need to check the ship for damaged.” Leo ordered, hoping that the spotter had yet to have fallen from his post.

“Why should we pull the ship to shore? The thing’s floating isn’t it? Asked one of the many rescued men. Leo stared at him, expression unchanged.

“Jacque, answer his question please.”

Jacque walked towards the confused guardsman who understood his predicament too late as Jacque's hands reached around his waist and proceeds to pick his screaming person up and throw him down the deck

“Anymore questions?” Yelled Leo, his earlier anger still present. Silence answer him, "I didn't think so."

The crew was quick to move, a new danger added to the normal mix that you meet in the sea was never taken lightly. They worked almost mechanically, free ropes, scale poles, release sails, tense sail to point of usefulness, tie rope, secure everything, sail. The wind in their favor.

Thirty minutes past, the tension was high, the ship was beginning to creak loudly, the entire crew did what they could to help the ship move faster, some even used old rows found in the bottom deck. They needed to find land as soon as possible before the ship could give out. The spotter who searched for even the tiniest sight of land jumped in his spot and yelled.

“Land ho!!”

Leo, was helping the last of his men that was wounded by a piece of wood in his arm when he heard the spotter, he smiled as fate finally gives him a break, a little more and he would have snapped. He didn’t waste time to direct himself towards his crew

“Alright men! Get ready to move your arses! We get the ship to shore to assess the damage!”

With the rowing, the extra vails, and constant screaming, it took them about an hour to get to the shore and another one to make sure they didn’t smash against any rocks in their way. They finally arrived safely to a tree filled land. The men then, using ropes, pulled the ship with cut down logs from the trees surrounding them, and rolled the ship inland to be fixed.

Mark was placing one of the ropes around the newly made poles by hammer and axe to make sure the rope was well secured. In his moments of stretching intervals he noticed the amount of birds in the sky, beautiful free creatures.

But right as he cracked his neck he saw the biggest bird he has seen yet. It was too far away to get any details but the distance in the sky and the size already showed it was bigger than the average bird or eagle. The bird was doing the type of pattern he saw when he was in Egypt his first time with his employer; a vulture like pattern, But it was far too big to be a vulture, and as he tried to look closer he-

“Mark! For the last time, get over here or you won’t eat!” Said the irritated cook, waving his knife and making all those near to lean away. Mark snapped out of his thoughts as he now noticed that he was the only one who wasn’t done placing the ropes.

“Don’t we have enough food to last a couple of voyages?!” Mark answered yelling loudly as he finished placing the rope, “we're trading food you know?” Said Mark with a smirk only he knew he had.

“Get smart with me boy and I’ll make sure you won’t eat!” Said the cook getting angrier by the second, he had enough of Marks antics.

“Alright already, I’m coming!!”

The moment Mark said ‘enough food to last a couple of voyages’ the bird stopped his circling pattern and left towards the forest.


New Equestria patrol two. New Equestrian shore.

Time: Dawn-midday


“Come on guys, it’s just right over.” Said Keen Sight actually happy his ‘friends’ were listening to him.

“I….am…coming…..just give me…a minute” Stone Wall said sweating profusely and gasping for air.

“Wasn’t just ten minutes ago you said ‘I will not stop running until I get my fix?’” Said the obviously smirking Lighting Strike, she was slightly tired, but not as bad as Stone.

“Shut up, you don’t know how much this armor weights.” Complained Stone Wall.

Right, armor. Got it” Said Lighting Strike, giggling at the end.

“Don’t forget I am also carrying the bits,” Stone Wall’s sly grin semed to cancel Lightning’s, “and now I am rethinking about sharing.”

“Hey, you would’ve never found it without me so don’t you dare count me out, Stone Wall.” Said Keen Sight actually serious, they were nearing the border of the forest.

“Oh yeah what exactly woul-“

“Keen Sight is that what you meant?” Lightning Strike Said pointing at the ship that is starting to appear as they get through the foliage. At the arrival of the border they made a quick dive into cover, they wouldn't want to go in without a plan, would they now?

“Yeah, there it is, I was doing a usual lookout around there,” Keen Sight said pointing at a particular place in the sky, “but be careful, we don’t know if these Minotaur’s are open to negotiate.” Keen Sight said a little worried; he has seen what a minotaur can do.

Stone Wall was taking it all in, the clear shore, the wooden structure, the poles around it. But, no food.

Something flashed in Stone Wall’s small brain, it might have been exhaustion, maybe hunger or even thirst, he would never know, but in his tired hungry state he experienced something that has never passed there before in a hunger state. Logical thinking.

“Uh, Keen Sight, where is the food?” Stone Wall asked not moving his eyes from the structure, Keen Sight was confused by the question.

“Uh, what do you mean Stone? Obviously inside.”

“Yeah that, I mean that how could you see the food?”

“What do you mean? You got to be more clear, Stone?”

“You said you watched them from afar and that you saw enough food for us to eat, so we could feast…”

Keen Sight finally got what Stone Wall meant and with uncertain tone he says

“Uh, yeah, I saw food, I… heard them talk about it.”

“How much did you confirm?” Stone Wall replied, his serious tone becoming more dangerous.

“You know, a lot?” Keen Sight’s answer sounded more as a question; his nervous tone didn’t help his case.

“How did you confirmed the food if you haven’t even seen it; better yet, how could you understand them, minotaurs don’t usually speak Equestrian, Keen Sight.”

Lightning Strike caught what Stone Wall was trying to say, and she turned at Keen Sight with a dangerous set of eyes.

“Keen Sight, answer Stone Wall, please,” Lightning’s voice raised very high, uncomfortably high, “how did you see the food?”

“I- I heard them say they had a lot...” Keen Sight said submissivly, the two were half satisfied with his answer if he wouldn’t have continued, “…I think…”

“WHAT?!” Shouted both Lightning and Stone at the same time, but before they could continue they were interrupted by another voice.

“Hey, keep it low down there or they will hear you!”

The three ponies paused at the voice, they looked at each other to confirm that it wasn’t one of them, meeting each other’s confused faces was eerie all in its own. The ponies slowly turned to the expected source of the voice upwards, on the trees, and saw two armored Griffon’s face-taloning and one with an embarrassed smile.

“You see, things like these keep making me think on how you are still a corporal.” Said Moon Stone, hitting his face with his other talon for good measure.

“For once, I agree with the Private, how in tartarus do you keep your rank?” Asked Redwood, equally stupefied by the display.

“Hey! Who in the nine circles of hell thinks he can just slack off in my--” Shouted out a new voice, before it immediately cut itself off.

Everyone turned at the new source, collective eyes opening to incredible sizes.

“Uh guys, I don’t think that I am so sure that they were minotaurs after all.” Added Keen Sight as he backed away slowly from the new arrival.

The thing was tall, armor made of small rectangular plates, the color of sand, the top of the head covered by a helmet of some strange geometric style. Its yellow eyes showing crystal clear fear, while his short...fur? Mane? Whatever it was it covered almost everything on the front of his face, like a minotaur. Was it called a beard? Meh, who cares what those boneheads say anyway.

SHINK SHINK SHINK A new noise added itself to the silence.

Everyone turned to the source to see Stone Wall with a large bag of bits hanging from his hoof.

“So, you guys trading any food?”


Location: Alexandria Time: Midnight (previous day)


“Now… what in the name of Allah was that huge noise that woke me up in the middle of my sleep?!” Yelled a very angry and fat Sultan. His attire was as something a sultan of his stature would wear, with a long slim fur coat of one of the many special wild animals over him. Beautiful woman were so common in his presence they were even considered part of the background.

“My sultan, the source of the noise we are unsure of, but we did saw a huge flash of light north with a couple of degrees west.” Said the court astronomer as he tried his best to not show weakness in front of the sultan. A weak camel draws many daggers was the saying.

“As did we my sultan, we saw a bright light before we were force to shut our eyes that came from that direction,” Said Wadi pointing of the general direction of the flash, “then after came the huge noise that woke up everyone.”

Wadi and Asad fulfilled their duties as guards and came to inform the sultan of the recent events, Asad was having a lot of trouble staying awake, the only thing keeping him from falling asleep was the threats made by his partner Wadi and he knows Wadi enough to believe that he rarely lies at all.

“Asad remember, you fall asleep, there is an exotic animal in the gardens in that balcony.” Said Wadi pointing at the balcony, “which leads to a mighty animal they bought from traders from the east, it’s very interesting, it’s orange with black stripes and strong enough to tear a man limb from limb even with his armor on, and I remember correctly that the last man who fell asleep in the Sultans palace while on duty was in charge of feeding the creature.”

Wadi paused, leaving the information sink in, Asad was literally shaking and wide awake now, “For a week.” Said Wadi smirking while Asad could only groan, Wadi’s jokes were so uncommon Asad always fell for them.

“So what do we do now?” Asad asked to the sultan, so tired that he didn’t notice what he just did which was rewarded with a slap in the head by Wadi.

The sultan narrowed his eyes, not liking the disrespect at all, but he left it slide, for now. “We will mount an expedition and find whatever disturbed my sleep.”

“Uh, my Sultan that wouldn’t be very wise in our predicament as of late.” Said the Advisor next to the Sultan.

“Why is that ‘Advisor’?”

“Remember my sultan that we lost our entire influence in trade in The Mediterranean long ago by the venetians and we are still struggling to make due with our own merchant fleet, and so we can’t spare any ships at this time. But we can ask some other Sultans to see if they have any ship they can spare, but that will take time.” The Adviser expediency said.

Asad seeing an opportunity stepped closer to the sultan, “My sulta, if I may?”

The sultan was confused by the request, but curious. “Speak.”

“Why don’t you just send a small guard detachment to investigate? You have far more guards to easily quell the peoples fear and I am pretty sure we can book passage with a ship heading in the general direction and see if we can spot whatever it was that caused the noise that interrupted your sleep?”Asad said proudly for coming with the idea, Wadi moved closer to him and whispered, calmly.

“Asad! what are you doing?!” Wadi had his own type of calm.

“It’s called being promoted, Wadi, I don’t see you coming up with any other bright idea, and look at it from my point: you can’t hit your superior officer, can you?” Whispered Asad clearly happy.

“That is a great idea, but who would lead this small detachment of guards?” Said the Advisor

“I, Wadi of the night guards, volunteer to lead the expedition.” Wadi said betting Asad to the punch, for his now drained happiness.

“That is a great idea, Wadi of the night guards, but who will go with you.” Asked the Advisor

“I propose that I take Asad here with me and whatever troops you can spare to help me in this expedition.”

“Then, Wadi of the night guards, for now you shall be calling, Emir Wadi, for the expedition in rewarding you for your bravery in to volunteering in such a dangerous mission, Advisor, how long do you think will it take for one of the Sultans to send us a ship?”

“I think it would take a couple of weeks at the earliest it’s during the dry season of autumn, and it will take the birds a while to reach the closest Sultan palace.” Answered the advisor.

“Well, hope this trips is as awesome as I imagine it, just like that time I went to Cairo!”

Wadi flinched at the memory. “Asad, your imagination is not normal, if that was ever to be possible this would not be a mission, it would be suicide.”

“Ha! I bet you if it was, you would still survive because of me.”

“We’ll see how this goes then.”


Location: Unknown, Shore

Time: Dusk (Month or so in the future.)


“Jurian, What did I told you my friend? This isn’t on the map, new for us to own.” Said Ermo with a huge grin.

“Ermo, haven’t you notice how perfectly placed is this land?” Asked his concerned friend.

“What do you mean, Jurian, as in perfectly place?”

“Well, this land is placed at the center between many nations, and we so happen to be the first to have arrived? Doesn’t that feel weird to you, mi’ lord?”

“That does seem suspicious,” the lord said seriousness passing through, analyzing the situation, but then dismisses the suspicion for the treasures he still see in his imagination. “Where do you think it would be better to dock?”

“Ermo! Do not take this as any other of your adventures, we are not the only ones involved and I’m sure that many would not take the way you do things gracefully.” Jurian said as he looked at his surroundings.

Ermo was true to his word and searched for a small tool to help search for the mysterious earthquake bringing light. Three galleys were taken, two full of trained warriors and weapons fit for battle at sea as well as on shore, the warriors were a mix of Templars and knights, they wore staggeringly heavy Steel mail armor and carried variety of Steel weapons. And also let’s not forget a priest that is the commander of the Templars that basically does mass on Sundays and kill anything that is a threat the rest of the week. The three ships composed of one common trading ship, which Ermo and Jurian were on, it was made to hold the supplies for the three ships, while the other two were galleys which were made to protect the center ship and hold the men.

“Mi’lord, I have spotted something strange!!”

“Strange as in what?!” Ermo yelled back.

“I believe th- No! I’m sure there’s a ship already on the island, mi’lord!” The spotter pointed his entire arm towards the silhouetted of a ship near a dangerous part of the shore.


Everyone sprinted to the side of the ship to take a glance at the shadow of a ship, but then something else caught their sights, something moving on top of it. But by the looks of it the thing it is huge. Bigger than a bear.

“Should we stop, mi’lord, for all we know it might be a monster.” Asked a crewmen on the cargo ship.

“No, we should investigate, we have plenty of warriors to kill anything in our way, if it proves to be hostile, you know what to do.” Said Ermo as he place his hand on Jurian’s shoulder, “but, what I want to know is, what is that creature and investigate if it had to do with that ship’s destruction.”

“Aye, mi’lord!”

It took the ships a couple of hours to safety get through the dangerous areas of the shore and land near the destroyed ship.

“Jurian, is it me or am I seeing graves? Many, many, graves”

“I do believe so, if the crosses are anything to go by, mi’lord.”

The strange creature dropped of the top of the ship and landed on its deck which results it by shaking it, making the warriors worry on how large and possible how strong this strange creature was.

The silhouette came closer still within the ship and thus each step sounded like a battering ram ramming on a fortresses gate, and with each inch the warriors started to look at each other with nods of plans and readied weapons. Some even began to pray for God’s protection. After the noise stopped the men prepared their blades, or crossbows, if the creature was proven hostile. But what came out surprised them even more.

It was a man, but not just any common man, it was a huge example of human potential even by warrior standards. The man’s hands were big enough to easily crush a man’s skull with his arm muscles alone, a durty mop in his head, which was actually his straight long hair. It was a wonder what in the name of God created such a beast. The man wore mud and leaves, a small--in contrast to its size--bag strapped on its waist, and the worst sandals they had ever laid their eyes uppon. And right in the middle of their staring it lifted one of its heavy brows and spoke.

“Sacrebleu! You people are idiots, place yourselves alongside an already destroyed ship?! Tell me at least you took some sort of precaution towards something like this?” The large beast of a man concluded, voice low and thunderous.

“Who are you might I ask mighty giant?” Asked Ermo with interest.

“I go by the name, Jacque, but my companions call me the ‘Steel Giant,' or at least they used to as you can see...” The giant gestured towards the graves around them.

“Then due tell us what happen here, did demons come and kill these sinners?” Asked the Templar priest next to Ermo.

“I won’t answer any questions 'till we are away from these accursed shores and within thy ship.” Stated Jacque pointing towards Ermos galley.

“Then let us be on our way.” Confirmed Ermo, a little sad to the temporary stop on his exploration of the new lands, but enthusiasm came through the ability to spend less time studying it and more time exploring, thanks to the survivor.

After giving the orders of securing the area of any ill intentioned beasts, Ermo and his surrounding group, plus a tall addition, got within the nearest ship. The warriors being told to be on high alert for anything suspicious things, the crossbowmen had their fingers on the triggers for anything that wasn't human.

Inside, the big man found himself a chair, and a heavy grown he sat, back cracking and a moan of comfort as if he hadn't sat in anything comfortable in weeks. Those that were ready to listen to the giant found chairs of their own to sit and drag near, one even found a table to give the man a place for his arms. All highly expectant of what he was to say.

“Let me begin this tale with the encounter I've had with the creatures that roam these lands, I know you won’t care much on how I got here.” Said Jacque in a straightforward endevor. He thus opened his sack and revealed the contents within, and in a closer look for the curious it turned out to be a strange semi-circle helmet with one strip of a mysterious grey-reflective metal with a couple of white feathers.

Jurian picked up the helmet, one conclusion at touch, “T’is Iron.”

“How do you know, Jurian?” Asked Ermo actually curious.

“Easy, feel it.” Jurian passes the helmet to his lord, but right at the throw another interest came to his eyes in the form of a set of white feathers. “What feathers are these from? Their size are... disturbingly huge.”

“Hhmm, what a tale I’ll tell.” Said Jacque cryptically, lips showing something strange for such a huge juggernaut of a person, a grin. “What a story...”

Author's Note:

This one took a while to get it right and thus far Drawdex my Awesome Editor has been promoted to Co-author due to his zeal and awesome editing and idea skills.
Update: Edited