• Published 14th May 2013
  • 2,075 Views, 55 Comments

Servant of Man - Timber Wolf



Big Mac was vaguely aware of Applebloom holding his head during his seizure, of her trying to talk to him, but his head was filled with another conversation.

  • ...
7
 55
 2,075

Chapter 3

Big Mac woke up to the feeling of grass scratching his neck. He opened his eyes before quickly closing them again. The bright sun made his eyes water even after he closed them. Mac groaned as his head pounded.

'What the hay happened?'

He lay there in the grass, eyes closed, trying to think. He remembered. The violin, the music, it ordering him. It had controlled him, forced him to move. Big Mac remembered the flash of magic that he knew was a teleportation spell. Well, wherever the stupid instrument had sent him, it had lost it's control over him.

Big Mac's thoughts were broken by somepony stamping their hooves next to his head. Mac cracked open an eye and looked up at the speckled gray stallion that stood above him. The stallion snorted at him, pinning his ears back. Mac groaned and rolled onto his belly before beginning to stand. The gray stallion whinnied and reared up, flailing his hooves. Big Mac drew back in surprise. He opened his mouth to ask the stallion what he was doing, but all that came out was a neigh. Big Mac paused.

'Huh?'

He tried again, simply saying hello. He nickered instead. Panic washed over him. Why couldn't he speak? Mac pinned his ears and tucked his tail. This wasn't right. This didn't feel right. Big Mac lifted his head to look at the stallion, only to catch a glance as the gray mustang dove down, grabbing the skin on Mac's neck in his teeth. Mac whinnied in fear and pain as the stallion twisted the skin in his teeth. He pulled and pushed Big Mac until Mac followed his directions. The stallion let go and snorted. Good. The gray horse trotted off to a group of mares who were eating grass. Big Mac looked around him.They were in a large meadow, surrounded by mountains Big Mac did not recognize. Wherever he was, it was far away from Ponyville, maybe even out of the boarders of the main land. For all he knew, he could be Germaneigh. Mac walked over on shaky legs. If that crazy stallion wouldn't help him, maybe on of the mares would.

He approached a dark brown mare who was swollen with foal. Big Mac got within five when the gray stallion rushed him. The stallion bit at him and chased him away. One of the crazy mustang's hooves nicked Mac's flank. Mac cantered off a bit, on the edge of the herd. He turned to inspect the wound. Big Mac felt a sickening fear wash over him. The wound was not that bad, it had barely left a scrape. Mac stared at his flank, eyes wide. His cutie mark was gone. Now that he looked at himself, his coat wasn't even apple red anymore. It looked more like the muddy red clay that peach trees grew in.

No no no no no. This was wrong. He was wrong. Big Mac whinnied in fear and sidestepped nervously. He had to get out of here! Mac reared and leaped forward. His hooves pounded on the grass as he galloped. Everything was different. If he had no cutie mark, had the violin erased his special talent? The very meaning of who he was? Mac snorted and galloped ahead faster. His ears flicked back to the sound of hooves following him.

Wait. . . what?

Big Mac slowed and then stopped, turning around. The entire herd was behind him, the gray stallion in the front. They were all dancing restlessly. Their ears swiveling, nostrils flaring. They assumed Big Mac had seen or heard danger, and fled with him. Big Mac looked at them unsure. It was then that he noticed that none of the herd members had cutie marks. Actually, now that he looked, there were many things different. Among the crowd, there was not a single unicorn or pegasus. Or really any males. There was the gray stallion, and a young colt who looked to be entering his teenage years, but that was it. All the others were mares. Usually Mac didn't give much thought about how little stallions there were compared to mares, but this was different. This was strange.

The herd glanced around before deciding that there was no danger, and went back to grazing. Eating the grass. From. The. Ground. Unwashed, unprepared, grass.

'They're acting like. . . wild animals.'

A chill spread over Big Mac. Wild. He had heard stories of a world where ponies ran wild, where they were called horses. But it was just a myth. An old story told to young foals before bed. It wasn't true. Then again, Nightmare Moon had been an old mare's tale.

Mac tried to speak again, but all he did was nicker. The gray stallion, who had been watching him, pranced up to Mac and circled him. The mustang sniffed at Big Mac before leaning forward, opening his mouth. Macintosh's eyes widened. Was he going to bite him again? Instead, the stallion lipped at Mac's mane before throwing his head a couple time. Unsure, Mac copied him. If they were wild, they couldn't talk. Mac couldn't talk either, but if he could, he doubted they would understand him. Big Mac gently nibbled at the stallion's mane before pulling back and lowering his head. The wild mustang flicked an ear and started to graze. Mac's stomach grumbled in hunger. Heaving a sigh, Big Mac leaned down and took a bit of the green grass.


The library was full of ponies, all rushing back and forth in a panic. In the middle of the chaos was the metal violin. Princess Celestia surveyed the area before heading down the stairs to the basement. Twilight's friends all sat in a quiet circle. Young Applebloom was sobbing into her sister's mane. Next to her was Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo, trying to comfort their friend. Greeny 'Granny' Smith sat further away, staring at her granddaughters. Her eye's were clouded over with grief. Twilight looked up when her mentor stepped in.

"Princess! I'm so sorry! My magic just wasn't strong enough! The violin- I couldn't- it's all my fault!"

Twilight stuttered as fresh tears ran down her face.

"Oh, Twilight. It is nopony's fault but mine. I should not have left such an unknown artifact unguarded."

Celestia rubbed her cheek against her student before walking over to the two Apple sisters.

"Applejack, Applebloom, I am beyond sorry for what has happened. I will do everything in my power to bring your brother home."

Applebloom peaked out from her sister's fur, looking up at the princess.

"Ya. . . ya mean you're gonna bring 'im back ta life?"

Celestia was startled.

"Young Applebloom, your brother is not dead."

Applejack finally looked up at Celestia, cutting her sister off.

"What da ya mean?! Ah saw what happen', saw Big Mac get sucked up by tha' stupid violin!"

Applejack turned so she was face to face with the Princess.

"And he's gone! And it's all yer fault!"

The orange mare stopped, breathing heavily. Tears were in the corner of her eyes, but she refused to let them fall. Everypony in the room stood frozen, looking in between Applejack and the princess. Celestia lowered her head, ears pulled back.

"I know. It is my fault, and I'm sorry, but he is not dead. From what we were able to tell, the violin simple used a transportation spell. However, Macintosh Apple is nowhere in Equestria. The strands of magic left behind indicate. . . that he has jumped dimensions."

Twilight nearly chocked on the air.

"Jumped dimensions?! But that's impossible!"

Celestia nodded.

"I thought so too."

"It doesn't matter where mah brother is! We need 'im back!"

"Yes, I know. I will bring him back. He is one of my subject. Which is why I will do this."

Celestia bowed down to Applejack and laid her horn on the young mare's shoulder.

"I, Celestia Helios Faust, do solemnly promise to find and bring back Macintosh Apple, or die trying. So help me Faust"

Twilight stepped forward before placing a hoof to her chest. Her horn lit up and the area where Celestia's horn rested on Applejack started to glow.

"I, Lady Twilight Sparkle, as a witness, do confirm and seal this oath between Celestia Helios Faust and Applejack Apple. May Lauren Faust help and guide you."