• Published 8th Feb 2012
  • 1,368 Views, 35 Comments

The Magic of Reading - Creative Charmer



Sweetie Belle at long last learns how to use magic

  • ...
0
 35
 1,368

The Magic of Reading Part 15

Rainbow Dash was still flying around Ponyville with Cthulhu hot on her trail. During this whole time, Cthulhu had been consistent in keeping up with Rainbow Dash, but now when Rainbow looked back at him, she could see he was getting tired from the constant flying. "Looks like it's time to put the final part of the plan into action!" Rainbow flew over to an open area of Ponyville, and when she was right in the middle of that area, she immediately flew upwards. Cthulhu was a bit surprised by this sudden change, but then he gave chase, flying up after Rainbow Dash. Rainbow kept going higher, and higher into the sky, getting a few hundred feet above Ponyville. She looked back at Cthulhu, who was struggling with having to fly up so high. Rainbow knew that now was the time. She suddenly turned completely around, and sped straight down the same way she had came up. She zoomed right past Cthulhu's face when she went downwards, catching him by surprise. Cthulhu quickly recovered from this surprise and went downwards after Rainbow Dash. Because of Cthulhu's heavy weight, he was gaining speed quickly as he was going down, so he was quickly catching up to Rainbow Dash. Unbeknownst to him, that was exactly what Rainbow Dash wanted. Rainbow waited until Cthulhu was close enough, and, right when he was about to grab her, Rainbow turned herself around and faced Cthulhu, with her back parallel with the ground. She then made a "goodbye" salute, and zipped out of Cthulhu's face. Cthulhu watched her fly off, but when he looked back down, he saw that he was coming down really fast, and was about to crash into the ground! Cthulhu panicked and immediately opened his wings to slow himself down, but he was going much too fast, and Cthulhu smashed into the ground with full force, sending a giant dust cloud that covered the open area he had crashed into. The crash rattled buildings near and far, frightening many ponies who were hiding in their homes.

Twilight and Rarity arrived at the crash site from one side, and Pinkie and Applejack arrived at the side opposite. They all looked in awe at the large dust cloud still looming over the area. "That was sure some crash!" Applejack said.
"I know!" Pinkie replied loudly. "It shook everything!" she exclaimed as she stood up on her hind legs and waved her front legs around in the air. She then got back down on all fours. "Although I do like it when I shake around like that. It's really fun!" Pinkie smiled at Applejack, who rolled her eyes at Pinkie.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the crash site, Twilight and Rarity were overlooking the area. "Do you think it worked?" Rarity asked Twilight.

"I know it worked!" Twilight replied enthusiastically. "Nobody could be conscious after a crash that big from a height that high."

"Yes, I suppose you're right," Rarity replied. Then, some of the dust floated up to Rarity's face, and when she inhaled it through her nose, she sneezed. "I really do hope you're right," she said as she rubbed her hose. "Because I don't want all this revolting dust to have been spread all over town for no reason."

"Don't worry, Rarity. I wouldn't let something that bad happen for nothing," Twilight replied with a hint of sarcasm. Rarity smiled in response.

"Well, I just hope you're right," Twilight and Rarity both turned their heads to the right and saw Spike, who was standing next to Twilight.

"Spike??" Twilight asked. "What are you doing here? Weren't you supposed to be helping the other ponies get out of Ponyville?"

"Well, I was helping them do that but then I heard the big crash and saw the giant dust cloud, so I ran over here to see if everypony was okay."

"Well, that was very sweet of you, Spike," Rarity said. "And we're all doing fine. Twilight's plan seems to have worked out perfectly," she said contently.

"I thought it would," Spike said in a slightly brown-nosing way. "I never doubted one of Twi's plans for a second," he said as he extended his left arm out with his palm facing out and waved it from the right to the left.

"Thanks, guys," Twilight said, smiling. But then she made a more quizzical look on her face. "Although, I'd like to be one hundred percent sure my plan worked out right," Twilight then looked up and saw Rainbow Dash, whom had just flown in and was hovering high above the crash crater. "Hey, Rainbow Dash!" Twilight called out to her. "Go scope out the crater to see what condition Cthulhu is in!!"

"Right!" Rainbow Dash replied as she saluted. She then flew down to the crater, which was still covered with a dust cloud. She landed on the edge of the crater and looked inside, even though she could not see well. As she looked, she squinted her eyes and could make out the silhouette of Cthulhu's body, which was lying on the ground, not moving at all. "Looks like he's down for the count!" Rainbow shouts enthusiastically as she strikes a cool pose. "Cthulhu didn't stand a chance outflying me! Because I'm Rainbow Dash! And nobody is fast enough to catch Rainbow Dash!"

Then, all of a sudden, one of Cthulhu's arms reached out of the crater and grabbed Rainbow Dash, taking her completely by surprise. Cthulhu's other arm then reached out and pushed against the ground on the edge of the crater, pushing Cthulhu back up onto his feet. As Cthulhu stood up, he spread his wings, which blew away the rest of the surrounding dust, and everypony could see him clearly. Everypony around was in shock at seeing Cthulhu still standing after that large crash, and they were also horrified.

Cthulhu then moved his right hand, which was holding Rainbow Dash, close to his face. He stared at Rainbow with extreme anger in his eyes. Rainbow stared back at him with much fright in her eyes. "I know I don't normally say this," she said with a very calm expression and tone. "But I could use some help!!"

Twilight looked more shocked than anypony. "I—I don't believe it! Cthulhu is still conscious?? My plan didn’t work??"

"Well..what was supposed to happen??" Spike asked in anxious horror. “I was busy helping to evacuate the town, so I didn’t hear the plan!”

Twilight began to explain, still sounding shocked and horrified. "Well, when I thought about Cthulhu's size, I knew we could not beat him physically, and when I thought about his wings, I came up with a plan. Rainbow was to have him fly high up in the sky," she said as she lifted her head up and looked up at the sky and lifted up her hoof towards the sky. "And when they got high enough, Rainbow would lead him back down," Twilight lowered her head back down and looked down, and she pointed her hoof at the ground. "She would then quickly move out of the way, and Cthulhu would crash into the ground hard enough to knock him unconscious, making it so we could subdue him without anypony getting hurt," she finished as she turned her head towards Spike.

"But didn't all that happen?" Spike asked, to which Twilight nodded in reply, still looking worried. "So why isn't he unconscious??"

"Well, it seems that I made an error in my plan," Twilight started to say, talking in a worried tone. "Cthulhu is far more resilient that I had originally thought!"

"So..what do we do??" Spike frantically asked.

Just then, Cthulhu had started roaring, with both his arms stretched out at his sides. This made Twilight, Rarity, and Spike turn their attention towards him. When they were looking at him, Rarity looked at Cthulhu's right hand, which was holding Rainbow Dash, and Rarity could see Rainbow was looking very terrified."I know what we must do!" Rarity said, making Twilight and Spike turned their heads towards her. "Above all else, we must rescue Rainbow Dash from that horrid beast!" she sternly exclaimed as she pointed at Rainbow Dash.

Twilight looked at Rainbow Dash, then she gained a look of determination on her face. "You're right! Saving our friend is most important right now!

"Right!" Spike added, also sounding determined. "So, what's the plan for saving her, Twilight?"

Twilight's face slowly turned blank. "A plan? I don't have a plan!"

"What??" Rarity and Spike exclaimed in unison.

"I didn't expect this to happen! That's why I don't have a plan ready!" she exclaimed with much worry and fright.

"We must do something!!" Rarity also exclaims with worry and fright.

Twilight frantically looked around as she tried to think of a plan, but the situation was not one where she could come up with one easily. She looked up at Rainbow Dash, who was looking very terrified. Cthulhu was staring at Rainbow as he held her right up in front of his face. Cthulhu then raised his mouth up to Rainbow Dash and roared loudly in her face, making her actually yell with fear. Twilight, Rarity and Spike were all horrified by the sight of this, as they were too scared themselves to think they could help Rainbow Dash. Everything looked absolutely hopeless; but then, as Cthulhu was still roaring at Rainbow Dash, a piece of wood flew through the air and struck Cthulhu on the left side of his head. Cthulhu stopped roaring when he was struck with the wood, and he turned his head in the direction it had came from. Twilight, Rarity, and Spike looked in the same direction Cthulhu was looking, as did Rainbow Dash, and also Applejack and Pinkie Pie. They were all shocked to see that the one who threw the piece of wood—was Sweetie Belle!