• Published 29th Apr 2013
  • 10,544 Views, 84 Comments

New loves and old wounds - Flutterfan457



Spike never thought he'd stop trying to win Rarity, even if he had won over another

  • ...
15
 84
 10,544

Uncertain paths

Twilight Sparkle rose bright and early prepared to tackle a new day. She used her magic to pull Spike from his little bed making him groan.

"5 more minutes...."

Twilight just shook her head.

"C'mon Spike. "

He groggily made his way downstairs as Twilght prepared a simple oatmeal for both of them. Spike struggled to keep his eyes open.

"If you had come home on time, you wouldn't be so tired."

Spike grumbled at her as he started to eat.

"How was Sugarcube corner?"

Spike blushed a little and answered nervously.

"It was...nice. We saw Pinkie and Mr. Cake and had a snack. They both thought we were on a date."

Twilight looked at him quizzically as she swallowed a bite.

"Well, it was wasn't it?"

Spike looked flustered by her question and tried to hide his embarrassment.

"N-no! Fluttershy....She just-just wanted to cheer me up since Rarity was too busy."

Spike started to fiddle with his oatmeal and Twilight smirked at him.

"She seemed to think it was."

"It wasn't."

"Well why'd she kiss you?"

"I don't know! She-..."

Spike felt very awkward at that moment and shifted in his seat trying to think what to say. Twilight thought it was adorable.

"You like her, don't you?"

"NO! I-I don't!"

"Spike, take it easy, there's nothing wrong with-"

"IT WAS NOT A DATE!"

Twilight quickly used her magic to hold Spike down to make him calm down. When he did, she spoke up.

"What are you getting so upset about it? What is wrong with Fluttershy being interested in you?"

Spike looked down in embarrassment and Twilight quickly knew the answer and rubbed her temple sighing.

"Spike....I understand you've liked Rarity for a long time and I do respect you for trying to stay loyal to her, but tell me, has she ever returned those feelings?"

"Yes! Like after I changed back from full size or when I gave her that ruby, or....um....."

Spike tried to think of other times, but he couldn't.
Any other memories he had were of her just asking for favors or babying him like when he joined the dragon migration.
He finally sighed and Twilight continued.

"Now think how often Fluttershy has been nice to you. Just to take the time to talk, cheer you up or just wanted to see you."

Spike did just that, having far more memories of Fluttershy going out of her way for him.
He tried to ignore them but Twilight had a point.

"Now tell me, in all honesty, who do you think would make you happier?"

Spike slammed his fists into the table in frustration.

"YOU DON'T KNOW THAT! I JUST NEED TO PROVE MYSELF FOR RARITY TO SEE-"

Twilight stopped him but tried to soften her tone.
She somewhat knew this day would come when Spike would have to accept his crush was just that and wouldn't really become anything more, but she didn't want to hurt him anymore than he already was.

"You've been trying ever since we came to Ponyville. If she had any interest, wouldn't she have taken time from work for you?"

Spike could only squint to hold back tears as Twilight continued.

"Yet Fluttershy saw you were unhappy and she tried to make you feel better. She even helped you when you came back late. Wouldn't you rather be with someone who cares for you as much as you do for them?"

"NO!"

Twilight looked surprised at this and Spike realized what he said.

"I-...I don't...."

Spike finally started to cry as he felt utterly confused, hugging his legs and burying his face in his knees.
Twilight quickly got up and hugged him, hoping to calm him down.
After a few minutes of gentle crying, Spike looked up at Twilight.

"I'm so confused."

"I understand, Spike. Sometimes when you want something so much, you're convinced it's the right thing for you, even if it's impossible for you to have."

He looked at her with his tear filled eyes, feeling a little better.
Twilight grabbed a napkin and cleaned his face.

"But you can't spend your whole life chasing something you can never have, you'll just make yourself miserable and miss a chance for something that is really good for you."

Spike sighed as Twilight held his chin while still cuddling him.

"And it's silly to try to reach for a star when you have a gem right in front of you."

Spike thought hard on this but still didn't know for certain how to feel.

"I need to think about this, Twi."

Twilight gave him a kiss on the forehead and one last hug before returning to breakfast.
As they went about their days work, Spike couldn't shake how he felt for Rarity,
despite Twilight's words and Fluttershy's obvious attention.
"Why does this have to be so hard?"
~
Fluttershy had woken full of energy and joy after a sound night sleep,
having pleasant dreams of the handsome little dragon she liked.
She had been beaming all the way home after leaving Spike.
She was honestly surprised with herself. She always had so much trouble around others, living up to her name.
However with Spike, she felt like she could do almost anything, he just put her at such ease.
She had spent much of the morning as she usually did with her animals,
though she was much more giddy and constantly singing to herself.
As she prepared a meal for Angel, he looked at her in bewilderment thinking she was nuts,
but didn't really care, as long as he got his food.
Fluttershy later left to do some errands in town when she heard a shout.

"Hey Fluttershy!"

Fluttershy looked up to see Rainbow Dash finishing removing clouds in the air.
Rainbow noticed Fluttershy flying low which surprised her, considering she preferred to walk.
She joined her on her way to town.

"Well, you're in a good mood today? What's up?"

Fluttershy blushed a little, still beaming about her time with Spike.

"Well, last night...I had a wonderful night out with Spike."

Rainbow was surprised by this and looked excited for her friend.

"No way! You actually won him from Rarity? Ha! That a girl!"

Rainbow gave her a pat on the back but Fluttershy spoke up nervously.

"Well, no...he, um.....Rarity was too busy to join him and-"

"Ugh! He just went to you for a rebound?"

"Oh no! I invited him to join me at Sugarcube corner, we had a snack and had a lovely evening."

Rainbow looked thoughtfully at Fluttershy as they entered the Market.

"So...is there anything between you two?"

"I don't know. I'd love to but he's still so in love with Rarity. I don't want to risk hurting him by asking Rarity to send him away."

"C'mon Fluttershy! You know that won't work out for him. Better it happens now before he tries something he'll regret."

Fluttershy sighs worriedly.

"I know but....you should have seen how excited he looked going to Rarity's. Like he was on top of the world."

Fluttershy looked a little down at this, Rainbow tried to reassure her.

"Hey, I get it, you want him to be happy, but you wanna be happy too right?"

Fluttershy nodded.

"So just go for it. Something like this you can't tiptoe around."

Fluttershy took her words to thought. She had a good point.
The two continued to chat in the market and eventually ran into Applejack at her apple booth.

"Hey Sugarcubes. How y'all doin'?"

"Believe it or not, Fluttershy-"

"Went out with Spike?"

Rainbow looked surprised hearing this but Fluttershy understood.

"Pinkie?"

"All she talked about all day."

"Oh dear. "

"So, what exactly are you and the little sprout up to?"

"Nothing really. I just invited him to Sugarcube corner. Though I think Rarity tried to encourage it."

Rainbow looked confused hearing this.

"Wait, how?"

"Well, she noticed I had been watching Spike, I just wanted to be able to lend a hand if needed, and she suggested he spend the night with someone else and winked at me."

Rainbow and Applejack looked thoughtful about this.

"I guess even Rarity thinks it should happen, but..."

"Fluttershy, Everypony wants it to happen!"

Fluttershy looked surprised at Applejack.

"They do?"

Applejack smirks and points to her eyes.

"These happen to work. I seen how much you like spending time with him. So do the other girls."

Rainbow dash chimed in.

"Yeah, the only one we weren't sure about was Rarity. Half the time we thought she really did like Spike cause she would always have him over to do favors, not to mention the whole birthday incident. "

"Well, we don't know she didn't do that just to make him happy and not for my sake. "

Applejack and Rainbow both cocked an eyebrow at her. Fluttershy responded nervously.

"W-well, like you said....she always has him over. Maybe...oh, this is so frustrating."

"Come on now Sugarcube. Don'cha think Rarity woulda done something sooner if she did want Spike for herself?"

"Well....um..."

Fluttershy felt embarrassed thinking about this, like she was trying to steal him from Rarity.
She was broken from her thoughts when she heard a shout.

"Darling!"

Fluttershy was caught in a hug from Rarity who was very excited.

"Pinkie just told me about last night! I'm so happy for you."

Fluttershy was very surprised by this while Applejack only smirked at her.

"That settles it I guess."

Fluttershy looked a little happier.

"Does this mean....you..wouldn't mind if...Spike and I-"

"Fluttershy, I'm surprised you didn't try sooner. We all know you've been dying to have little Spike to yourself."

"Well, yes, but....he's still in love with you Rarity."

"Sweetie, it's just a little crush-"

"No, it's not. I've seen how happy and excited he gets thinking about you. He thinks he can prove he can be the man you want."

Fluttershy visibly saddens saying this, but Rarity tries to cheer her up.

"He just hasn't realized how lucky he is to have caught your eye."

"But...I just don't want to hurt him."

Rainbow places a comforting hoof on Fluttershy's shoulder.

"Nopony ever said love would be simple."

Fluttershy could only fidget awkwardly, uncertain what to think.
Rarity suddenly looked like she had an idea.

"Darling, why don't we head to the spa? It will help you relax and clear your head."

"Well...."

"Trust me, darling. It will help."

Fluttershy sighed in resignation.

" Alright."

Rarity and Fluttershy wished Applejack and Rainbow goodbye and left. Rainbow looks amused by the situation.

"I'm kinda surprised Spike managed to get Fluttershy's attention so easily."

Applejack laughed a little.

"Little fellaws' a reguler Romeo."
~
Twilight and Spike were doing a few errands around town.

"What's next Spike?"

"We need to pickup an order of quills."

"Right."

Twilight started to search through her bag, pretending to look for her order form,
but instead pulled out a book on animals.

"Oh, Spike, I completely forgot. I told Fluttershy I would give her a book she asked about. "

Spike looked at her with a suspicious look to which she only smiled sheepishly.

"You 'forgot'?"

"Well....Spike, could you bring it to her while I get the order?"

Spike looked a little surprised and embarassed, having an idea what she had in mind.
Twilight just patted his head.

"I'm just asking you to bring her a book, Spike. That's all. Just deliver the book and meet me back at the library. Think you can handle that?"

Spike fiddled in place a bit before nodding.

"Good, I'll see you later Spike."

Spike ran off toward Fluttershy's home, Twilight watching him with a smile.
Along his way, Rainbow spotted him while flying above Ponyville.
She decided to make a divebomb and tackle Spike, making them both tumble into a dogpile.
Spike gave her an annoyed glare.

"Hi Dash."

"Hey there, stud."

Spike looked surprised at her comment.

"Wait, what?"

"I heard you and Fluttershy went out last night."

"It was'nt a date! We.....we just...um...."

Spike blushed brightly . Rainbow hugged him and gave him a noogie.

"Don't be modest, bud."

Spike laughed at her as he fidgeted out of her grip.

"What are you up to?"

"Twilight asked me to bring a book to Fluttershy."

"Well, she's at the spa right now, with Rarity."

Spike looked horrified hearing this.

"She's with Rarity?"

"Yeah, why?"

Spike looked nervous thinking about this, and Rainbow quickly realized why.

"Oh, um...."

"I should...go drop this off."

"Hey!"

Spike looked at her, Rainbow not sure what to say to him.

"Um...Good luck, little buddy."

Rainbow patted him on the shoulder, and Spike smiled gratefully and headed out.
~
Rarity and Fluttershy were enjoying a full masseuse from Aloe and Lotus Blossom and chatting pleasantly.

"...and Silversheen Daily had a very in depth article on gemweaving, of course most of it was really common knowledge to moi."

Rarity made a confident gesture.

"Well, maybe one of your outfits could be noticed by them. You certainly have enough beautiful dresses."

"Indeed, darling. Though I would need someone to model for me."

"Well, I could."

"Splendid! Maybe even Spike would be willing to lend a hand again."

Fluttershy blushed but smiled widely.

" I....I wouldn't mind the attention."

Aloe and Lotus Blossom aww at her and Fluttershy blushes.

"I should make you something nice to wear for a night out. "

"Oh you don't have-"

"Nonsense, darling, if little Spikey is going to dress up so nicely for a night out, you'll want to look your best for him."

"Well...."

She stops when the bell above the entrance rings.
Aloe goes to the desk to greet the customer but gasps to see Spike there.
She barely contains her excitement as she greets him.

"Hello dear, how can I help you?"

"Hi Aloe. Is Fluttershy here?"

"She's right inside, sweetie."

Spike thanks her and enters the spa nervously,
only to stop dead in his tracks when he sees Fluttershy and Rarity inside and he gulps in fear.
~
Twilight is heading through the market on her way home when she hears Applejack.

"Howdy, Twilight."

"Hi Applejack."

Twilight quickly trotted to speak to her friend.

"How's Spike?"

"Well, he's been a little bit confused, today."

"How so?"

"Well, you know he and Fluttershy had a night out last night, right?"

"Heard it from Pinkie a few dozen times. Fact, Fluttershy was hear earlier talkin' 'bout it."

"Really? What did she say?"

"Honestly, she's worried about his feelings for Rarity. Kept sayin' she might hurt him."

"Sounds like she's just what Spike needs."

"Really?"

"Well, this morning, I talked to Spike about it. The poor thing was so confused about it, he was in tears."

"Fluttershy was right then. Boy is pretty serious about Rarity."

"Speaking of which, have you seen her?"

"Last I saw, she was with Fluttershy at the spa."

Twilight realized what she had done and became nervous.

"Uh-oh..."

What's wrong?"

"I had wanted to send Spike to give her a book so they could talk."

Applejack looked very concerned hearing this.

"We'd best find him before it all goes hooves up."

With that, Twilight and Applejack set off for the spa only to be stopped by Pinkie Pie.

"Hi guys! Did you hear the news? Well, Applejack has heard, Twilight must know too! Or do you? Maybe Spike kept it a secret? But how can it be a secret if so many others know it? Maybe-"

"Yes, Pinkie, I know, Spike and Fluttershy had a date last night. Right now we're trying to get to him, before he gets into an uncomfortable situation. "

"What could be uncomfortable about it? Is it like wearing a hat that's too small? I did that once. A friend-"

Applejack gently hushes her.

"Pinkie, we'll explain on the way."

"Okie-dokie-lokie."
~
Spike was nearly shaking in fear.
He didn't want to let Rarity see how he might have feelings for Fluttershy, but he also had a job to do.
Part of him wanted to run out of the spa, another wanted to cry in frustration.
He stood motionless until Aloe gently nudged him forward.

"Go on."

Spike took a breath and approached Fluttershy.
Lotus Blossom, seeing Spike, had a look of excitement and excused herself.
Fluttershy lit up like a star seeing him, stopping him dead in his tracks.

"Hello Spike. It's so good to see you."

Spike looked powerless under her gaze, something he didn't fully understand.
Why was he so nervous? How could she have such an effect on him;
she never had before. He nervously answered.

"H-hi Fluttershy. Hi Rarity."

"Hello darling."

Rarity watched the two with excitement,
feeling like she was watching a brilliant romance novel being played out before her.
Spike pulled out the book and handed it to Fluttershy.

"Twilight asked me to bring you a book you asked her for."

"Oh, thank you so much Spike".

She gave him a hug with her wing and cuddled him, making him blush fiercely.
The other ponies giggled in delight seeing this.
~
Pinkie, Applejack and Twilight were all running to the spa, when they were approached by Rainbow Dash in the air.

"Where are you all going?"

Twilight spoke up, still running.

"We need to stop Spike from going to the spa."

Rainbow looked embarrased with herself

"Um....too late."

The three running ponies stopped.

"What are ya'll talkin about?"

"I actually told him Fluttershy was there and...he's probably there by now."

"Well, why didn't you stop him?!"

"Hey, hey, I'm not the one who sent him to see Fluttershy."

"Rrrrgh! Let's just get going."

The four set off and entered the spa soon after, only to be shushed by Aloe, who waved them over.
They quietly approached to see Spike nervously talking to Fluttershy, Rarity watching with delight.
Rainbow pumped her fists in victory and cheered softly.

"You go Spike!"
~
Spike had felt the others enter, feeling much more awkward for having so many eyes on him.

"So...um....I have....have to get going."

Spike started to turn to leave but Fluttershy gently stopped him.

"Wait, Spike. I actually know a nice little pond in town. Maybe.....we could go there for a little picnic? I have gems I could make into something nice for you."

Spike was surprised to hear this, to say the least.
She was actually asking him out? In front of Rarity no less?
His eyes darted back and forth between the two,
seeing Fluttershy anxiously waiting for an answer and Rarity on the edge of her seat,
eyes wide with anticipation.

"Um...I.....I....."

"Yes?"

Fluttershy reached out to him with her wings in a gentle embrace,
with a look no one had seen from Fluttershy before.
It was like Her infamous stare, but instead of being menacing, it was full of hope and desire.
Spike didn't know if her normal stare was worse than this.
Spike tried to answer, but he couldn't shake the feeling of everyone watching him,
which made him feel so embarrassed.
He squinted his eyes tightly as tears started to flow.
Fluttershy noticed and placed her hooves on his cheeks.

"Spike, what-"

She stopped and everyone jumped as Spike grabbed both spines on the sides of his head,
screamed in frustration and sprinted out of the spa faster than even Rainbow could do,
knocking down Aloe and the other ponies watching.
Fluttershy looked mortified with herself.

"What have I done?"

Everyone looked shocked at what happened and Applejack spoke up first.

"We're mighty sorry, Fluttershy. We were worried Spike might get in over his head and tried to get here before he did, but...."

She, Twilight, Pinkie and Rainbow all lower their heads in shame. Rarity sighs in disappointment.

"Girls please, come join us. Ladies, the works, on me."

Aloe and Lotus Blossom went to work, also looking saddened by the turn of events.
The two spa ponies helped to ease the tension of the day, but the six friends were still worried.

"I'm sorry, Fluttershy. I had wanted to send Spike to you, but I didn't realize he'd be under so much pressure."

"It's alright, Twilight. Maybe....maybe this was all a bad idea to start with."

"Oh c'mon, Fluttershy. Are seriously telling me you're just gonna give up?"

"I have to agree with Rainbow Dash, darling. We could all see how happy he makes you."

"I know, but...it seems like all I do is make him miserable."

"It's not that, sugarcube. It's just he's still hung up on Rarity, and doesn't know what to feel."

"I should have known this would happen. This is exactly how he reacted this morning."

"What happened this morning?"

"Well, I had asked him how last night was, and he got defensive about it, and I talked to him about you and Rarity with him, and he got so confused he started crying."

Fluttershy looked horrified and started to weep.

"That's twice I've hurt him."

Applejack gently placed an arm around her.

"I think we should try and slow things down a bit. Rushin' this ain't gonna help nopony. Hopefully that should help Spike get his head straight."

They all nodded in agreement.
~
Spike was furiously searching through the volumes of the library, hoping to find something to help him.
He had run all the way home after fleeing from the spa.
A few ponies had seen him with tears in his eyes and tried to stop him to see what was wrong, but he ignored them.
He just wanted to be alone, to get away from all the prying eyes.
He didn't want anyone to know he felt this way,
to know he may actually like someone other than the mare he'd worked so hard to win over.
Now, it seemed, everyone knew, and he hated it.
He wished he could have talked to Fluttershy away from everyone seeing him.
He felt like a sideshow freak, like his whole life was on display for other's entertainment,
which only made his confusion and frustration so much worse.
He had searched through every book on love and romance he had found, but so far, nothing could help him.

"Come on, there's gotta be something here that can help me! A spell, a potion, just anything to tell me who is really the right one."

Finally, he discovered a book marked with two alicorns surrounding a ruby heart on it's cover.
He quickly took it and started to read through it.
Most of it was records of failed spells and potions attempting to change pony's desires, but one entry caught his eye.
It told of one success done centuries ago.
The story told of a unicorn who was required by law to find a mate and bare a child for his family.
But he had no idea who to find, so he had studied many different magics
until he found several different books when studied and taking their knowledge together
gave him the recipe to a powerful and effective potion.
It required mostly simple magical items, except for one. A single drop of dragon's blood,
freshly taken from the dragon's veins.
He managed to create the potion and it led him to a young woman that instantly fell in love with, and he her.
The two were married soon after and lived the rest of their lives together in bliss.
Spike leapt for joy, finished reading. This was exactly what he was looking for.

"Finally! I could win...."

Spike stopped, uncertain if he wanted either Rarity or Fluttershy, causing more distress, but he pushed it out of his mind.

"Once I make this potion, I can finally stop this. Whatever happens, I'll know for certain."

Spike grabbed a quill and parchment, writing down all the ingredients and instructions.
He quickly hid them under his basket bed moments before Twilight returned.

"Spike?"

Spike rushed downstairs to meet her.

"Hi Twilight."

"Spike, I'm sorry about what happened today. I didn't mean to put you into that situation."

"Well....I'm sorry I freaked out."

"No, it's alright Spike. I understand right now, you're in an uncomfortable situation. I won't try to push."

Spike hugged her, thankful for her understanding,
though he wasn't certain she would approve of what he planned to use.

"Let's get some sleep. It's been a long day."

They both went up stairs, wishing each other goodnight, though Spike was feeling somewhat hopeful about tomorrow.

"This will be it. I'm finally gonna have my special somepony. I just hope she accepts me."

End part 2