• Published 19th Jul 2013
  • 3,950 Views, 50 Comments

Bloodline - Haseo



The son of King Sombra, Light Chaser has been awoken from his millennial slumber and has now to learn about the magic of friendship with the help of the recently crownd Princess Twilight Sparkle

  • ...
7
 50
 3,950

Chapter 1 - Open your Eyes

Bloodline
Chapter 1 – Open your Eyes

Twilight paced from one side of her room to another. Rattling down the checklist for unexpected overnight guests, she prepare for the arrival of Princess Luna. “Set up the guest bed? Check! Prepare reading material? Check! Prepared breakfast for the guest?”

She turned around and looked expectantly at Spike. The dragon stashed the last spoonful of ice cream into his mouth and laid the bucket aside. “Check!”

The occupant of the brilliantly constructed library tree hung again over the most recent letter she’d received from her former mentor. Twilight's eyes wandered hastily from character to character, from paragraph to paragraph.

Dear Princess Twilight Sparkle,

Weeks have passed since your Coronation Ceremony, and I still can't express my regret about your decision to stay in Ponyville. However, I can fully understand that you want to stay at the side of your friends, as well.

Your loyalty to your friends proved that you are worthy to be called a true Princess. But this is the reason I'm writing to you, as well. I wish to ask you for a favour.

Over a thousand years ago, my sister and I defeated the evil King Sombra for the first time and banished him into the eternal shadows under the northern ice. However, he didn't live alone in the crystal castle where your brother and Princess Cadence are living today.

King Sombra had an illegitimate son with one of his foreign slaves. King Sombra was so ashamed of his son being born a pegasus that he decided to hide him deep down in the castle dungeon. His name is Light Chaser. After my and Luna’s victory against Sombra, we released him from his prison and put him into a millennial slumber to protect him from every other dark influence until the time was right to teach him the meaning of harmony and friendship. We had to protect him from the darkness that had surrounded him his entire life.

We searched the castle and found records of his imprisonment.. It appears that his father had blindfolded him shortly after his birth. Light has never seen another pony or the world around him. The moment you take the leathery ribbon off his eyes, he will awaken.

I want you and your friends to teach him the magic of friendship, and show him the real beauty of Equestria.

I believe that I can trust you fully with this matter. My sister will arrive tomorrow in the morning and will bring Light Chaser along with her. He might be quite different than you would expect him to be, but please show patience with him. I have hopes that he will understand, in time.

Good luck, Twilight.

~ H.R.H. Princess Celestia

Twilight's recently-gained wings itched at the mentioning of King Sombra. The Crystal Empire had almost fallen back into the hooves of King Sombra; she had just barely been able to save it, and then only with the help of her number one assistant, Spike. She stared down thoughtfully at the letter in front of her.

Spike returned from the countless bookshelves and was carrying two thick, heavy books. From the corner of his eye he noticed the uncertain gaze of his friend. He put the books back where they belonged and strolled on his tiny claws over to Twilight. “Is this letter still worrying you? You’ve barely gone away from it since yesterday. He can't be that bad, right? I mean, he’s just a pegasus; what harm can he really do?”

Twilight gnashed her teeth as an immense pressure built up inside her. With one powerful wing flap she blew the letter off the table. “I’m not entirely sure, Spike. On one hoof he was probably sleeping for his entire life and is unable to move properly or to fight. But on the other hoof, he is the son of King Sombra. We don’t know what happened a thousand years ago. Not even the Princesses know everything about him.”

Spike walked past Twilight and picked the letter from the dusty floor. He quickly let his eyes fly above the characters and sealed the scroll up again. “Even if he is evil, your magic should stop him. Or am I wrong?”

The freshly made Princess hesitated. Spike was used to Twilight's personal flaws, but ever since she’d become a Princess, uncertainty about herself ruled over the majority of her emotions. She sat there at the window, letting her face warm up by the gentle light Princess Celestia's sun was providing. “I hope so, Spike… I hope so.”

The sound of her voice was absorbed by the wooden bookshelves around her, but the silence didn’t last for long. The buzzing sound of magic boomed from outside the door through their ears. It was the unmistakable sound of teleportation magic. Twilight folded her wings neatly together and clipped them to her body. “Princess Luna is here. Brace yourself, Spike. It doesn't matter how gruesome and frightening Light Chaser may look, just be on your best behaviour.”

The door of the library was tossed open by the magical blast of the younger of the eternal sisters. She lowered her head to suit the library door and gracefully stepped inside. Her horn was brightly ignited, and she magically carried a dark wooden stretcher behind her. Twilight bowed a little bit down to the Princess of the Night, despite the fact that she was now a princess herself. “Good morning, Luna.”

Twilight followed the stretcher with her eyes. A dark piece of fabric was thrown over it to protect the pony beneath from unwanted glares. The fabric was raising and lowering in a calm breathing pattern. From the shape of the body beneath the fabric, Twilight could tell that he was an average-sized pegasus.

She nodded approvingly about the decreasing risk of being physically inferior to him. Princess Luna lowered the stretcher to the ground and levitated the sleeping stallion still wrapped inside the fabric over to Twilight's couch. “I wish you a good morning as well, Twilight Sparkle.”

The light around the horn of Princess Luna disappeared and left the stallion peacefully sleeping. “From now on it is up to you, Princess Twilight Sparkle. Remove the fabric and the blindfold when you feel ready to. If you need any advice, don't hesitate to call for me. I will come to your aid. Good luck.”

Before Twilight could respond, the mare of the night disappeared in another ray of blueish light. Spike covered his eyes from the flash of light in order to keep his eye-sight. “Why are the princesses always teleporting? I mean we have a door... they can use it as well.”

Twilight covered a small giggle with her hoof. “You should be used to it. I'm doing it all the time, too.”

Spike rolled his eyes in annoyance and hissed at Twilight. “Yeah, but at least you don't dump the son of King Sombra here and disappear without any information given.”

The giggle quickly faded and turned into a worried frown. “I doubt that Luna was withholding anything. I'm sure that both Princesses have told us everything they know. This may be the issue and the reason why they didn't asked me for this favour when I was still a unicorn. They simply don't know how dangerous things could turn out. But I doubt they would me sent something that would actually able to harm me greatly.”

The little dragon's eyes wandered away from his alicorn friend and laid upon the calmly breathing pony beneath the piece of fabric. “What do you think he looks like?”

Spike stared at the sleeping stallion under the blanked. It was fear that held of his mind. The fear of the unknown. Twilight stepped slowly to his side and stroked his scaled head. “Maybe he has fur as dark as the night itself and razor-sharp dragon-like teeth. His eyes are coloured in a glowing golden shade and his cutie mark is the image of a nightmare! Who knows, he is the son of King Sombra after all.”

The little dragon had to suppress his laughter with all his power of will. “Are you sure that you aren't referring to Princess Luna's son?”

Spike couldn’t suppress his laughter anymore and began to chuckle faintly. Just barely loud enough for Twilight to notice, she tapped carefully against his head and shot him the evil eye. “Spike, calm down. That's not nice!”

There was still a faint giggle in his voice, but the little dragon tried to calm down by hastily breathing in and out. Twilight folded her wings again and sat down in front of her couch. “You know that is not funny! Luna is a very nice pony and you shouldn't make these kind of jokes at her expense.”

Spike made his way to the Twilight's side, he still wiped tears out of the corner of his eyes. “Yeah, I’m sorry, but do you really want to wake him up now? I mean, Luna said we should do it when we feel ready, and I'm not sure if we are. We can still get our friends to help us!”

The corners of Twilight's mouth wandered towards the ground, she could only barely managed to force a made up smile. “I know, but I don’t want to confront him with such a big crowd of ponies right away. That would probably scare him even more. If he wants to attack us right away, I can probably stop him alone. There should be nothing to worry about! Trust me.”

The lavender alicorn tried to hide her concerns behind the iron mask of royalty that Princess Celestia had taught her to wear in front of her subjects. Carefully, she raised her hoof and grabbed the fabric, and with one strong pull she exposed the stallion beneath.

The piece of fabric flew without pause, straight into Spike's face. He began to swing his arms wildly around himself. “Twilight! Help! He’s attacking me!”

Spike stumbled backwards on his behind and struggled free of the dangerous embrace of the blanket. “Twilight? Is everything all right? Where is he?”

His view wandered from his stunned friend over to the stallion on the couch. “Whoa...”

Twilight watched carefully at the stallion in front of her. She’d been prepared for the worst, but she hadn’t expected him to look like this. “Spike, we do see the same stallion, right?”

The baby dragon silently nodded and continued to stare at the sleeping pegasus. Only the eyes of the slumbering stallion were hidden beneath the enchanted leather ribbon, the rest of his body laid bare on Twilight's couch. The sunlight reflected on his pure white coat and created the impression that his body was glowing. Twilight inspected him closely, beginning from his ears that were a little bit more plush than was usual, over his light-blue, almost turquoise mane, to the joints of his wings, until she reached his tail. She stared at his flank without any words.

Spike drifted off and waited for Twilight's reaction. He watched her stare at something. Spike followed her gaze and happened to end up at the backside of the pegasus. The little dragon blushed and nudged Twilight firmly. “ You know, you don't have to look at him that way just because he's sleeping."

Twilight was taken aback by his statement. She blushed heavily and extended her hoof into Spike's direction to punch him. With the strength of an alicorn, she sent him flying into a pile of books that he hadn't sorted yet. “Oh, Spike! "Sorry, I keep forgetting how much stronger I am now."

She flashed him a goofy smile, while Spike struggled free from the heavy books above him. “Yeah. You forgot... sure.”

Twilight scratched her head and quickly tried to change the subject. “Don't you think there is something weird about him?”

Spiked kicked the last books aside and grumpily marched back to Twilight's side. “What? Besides the fact that his coat is blinding me in the light?”

Twilight's frown grew as her little assistent simply seemed to ignore the obvious. She closed her eyes and pushed Spike gently into the direction of Light Chaser’s backside. “No... Well, maybe, but that is not the issue here. I mean his wings and flank.”

Spike stumbled towards the pegasus and grabbed his wings. He looked at them for a minute but resigned quickly. “Nah, I don't get it. What's so special about them?”

Twilight stroked a hoof over her face and sighed quietly. “Sometimes I can't believe how unaware you are. Just look closely at his wings.”

Spike stepped closer to the sleeping pegasus and concentrated upon his wings. His once-white feathers were ruffled and dirty, like they had never been cleaned before. “Well, they look like no pony cared for the hygiene of them.”

Twilight stepped forward and stroked her hoof over one of his wings, sighing deeply.. With her magic she forced his wing to extend. Spike's eyes widened in face of their appearance. The little dragon eagerly jumped up and down and blurted out his suspicion. “They're shorter than they are supposed to be, right?”

Her magic gently laid the wing back where it belonged. The lavender alicorn almost began to cry at the sight in front of her. “His wings... they've been cut. Somepony has cut down the last bone in his wings. Even if he does manage to fly somehow, he will never go fast or far. He will likely be stuck to the ground.”

Spike grabbed Twilight's leg firmly, the alicorn laying a caring wing upon him. With Light Chaser’s wings and coat shining brightly in the light it was difficult to notice, but they were definitely shorter than the wings of an average pegasus. “Who could be so cruel?”

Twilight angled his wings slightly down and exposed the whole flank of their visitor. Spike let go of her leg and fell to his knees. He crawled over to the couch and stared at the stallion's flank. “It’s blank! But he’s a fully grown stallion. He looks like he could be as old as you, Twilight!”

She turned her head and ignited her horn. The magic built up around her horn and wrapped the letter at the floor in the same. The letter levitated to them and hovered in front of their eyes. Her eyes began to wander from the left to the right of the letter over and over again until she had a certain conclusion. “The Princess wrote something about King Sombra's idea of imprisonment. I think that this imprisonment was far more than sitting inside a lone room. My guess is that he never got to see the outside world because he was physically never able to. I doubt that he has seen anything aside from the inside of his blindfold. King Sombra might have laid him in chains and left him alone in some kind of dungeon.”

Spike crossed his tiny arms and gnashed his teeth. “We should have wiped the floor with King Sombra even more for this.”

Twilight laid her foreleg around the tiny dragon and pulled him against her chest. “Don't worry Spike, King Sombra paid for his sins. I think we should wake him up now. So much time from his life was stolen. We can at least try to make him happy for the rest of his life.”

Spike pushed his fear aside and consumed the last bit of bravery inside his little dragon heart. Carefully he began to loosen the little knot behind the pegasus’ ears. Slowly, the pressure of the leather ribbon against the pegasus’ eyes faded and the lessened enchantment allowed his breath to become deeper. With one sudden pull, the little dragon ripped the ribbon away and exposed his still closed eyes.

Twilight came closer and leaned above their visitor. His breaths became faster and deeper. He was slowly waking up. They watched him curiously, but nothing seemed to happen. Slowly, his eyes cracked open, Twilight could see the reflection of the fluid on the surface of his eyes. “Open your eyes, Light Chaser.”

She leaned back and awaited the worst. Her horn was already charged with magic in case Light Chaser would act wild upon being woken up so suddenly. It took him some time to regain his consciousness, but he finally managed to open his eyes fully. His eyelashes exposed the deep red orbs beneath. They took Twilight into focus and watched her closely.

Twilight showed him a warm and welcoming smile. “Good morning, my name is Twilight Sparkle and I'm your brand-new first friend.”

She waited for a response of any kind, but Light Chaser remained silent and shaking in fear. He didn't move at all. He didn't try to flee or to fight. His eyes were still fixed on Twilight, they shrunk to the size of thumbtacks.

Spike pulled gently at Twilight's mane. “I think you should give him some space, you're scaring him.”

Twilight withdrew her head slightly and firmly sat down. Light Chaser's eyes followed Twilight's movement precisely. His lips began to move. At first nothing was audible from the still sleepy stallion, But soon words could be made out? “What are you?”

She scratched her head and looked at the still drowsy pegasus in confusion. “Oh? So you can actually talk? I was afraid that you wouldn't understand me at all. I’m Twilight and I will take care of you.”

Light Chaser was still lying exactly the way he was before. The fact that he had regained his ability to move didn’t seem to interest him. “I didn't ask you who you are. I asked what you are.”

Faced with the pony before her, Twilight was almost speechless. His voice was smooth and without flaw. The stallion tried to sound calm and collected, but Twilight could hear the uncertainty and fear in his speech. “Well, I'm an alicorn. So basically a pony.”

The pegasus flinched at the word 'pony'. “Where am I?”

Spike and Twilight looked at each other, concerned. Small wrinkles formed on her face. “We are inside my home. The Princesses had brought you to me.”

The fear inside his eyes seem to fade. Slowly, he climbed down from the couch. His hooves touched the ground, but they couldn't support his weight and folded immediately. Twilight rushed to his side and helped him to stand with a supporting wing.

Light Chaser spun around and kicked Twilight in the chest as hard as his legs would allow. While Twilight withstood the kick and held her balance, the force of Light Chaser’s hindlegs sent him flying. He crashed into the little side table next to the couch, sending everything on it to the floor

He cowered underneath the table and shook violently with his body. His horrified gaze hit Twilight like a heavy book falling on her head. “Don't … touch … me... ever … again...”

His voice was more of a whimper than a normal spoken sentence. Twilight watched the terrified stallion on the floor and tears began to flow down her cheeks. “So what the Princess wrote was true after all. You really weren’t allow to see another pony. I really hoped that they were wrong. This was such a horrible experience. But please! You have to believe me. I only want to help you.”

Twilight offered him a helping hoof. He looked into her watery eyes. The hoof still hovered in front of him in a welcoming manner. Light Chaser smiled weakly at the alicorn. He observed the hoof and slowly closed the distance. Never in his life had somepony offered him a helping hoof. His curiosity got the better of him and before he could comprehend, he found himself inside a caring embrace.

She could feel his hooves trying to push him away from her. But she wouldn't let him go so easily. Slowly the pressure of his pushing became higher and higher. Light Chaser fought with all of his power to get free from the alicorn.

Twilight didn’t notice his struggling in at first, but the realization hit her quickly. She loosened her grip, and the pegasus leaned as far back as he could and bucked Twilight in the face.

She let go of him and winced in pain. Twilight wiped a few drops of blood away from her nose and looked for the fractious pegasus.

Light Chaser crouched beneath a nearby table. His shivering was almost audible and the adrenalin in his body forced him to extend his white wings fully. It was the instinctiv flight reflex inside of the mind.

Twilight’s heart ached when she saw the tears of fright in his eyes. They were frankly running down his white cheeks. The lavender alicorn took a few steps back and lowered her postion herself to eye-level with the stallion. “I guess that was a bit harsh of me. Please excuse my embrace. I’m not used to a pony like you either. I guess this won’t make things easier between us.”

Light Chaser looked stealthily past Twilight and looked into the mirror that had fallen from the side table earlier. His own face and wings reflected in it. An odd feeling crept into his mind, but he didn’t know what exactly made him feel sick over his own appearance.

His gaze returned to the threatening alicorn in front of him. His heart almost exploded in his chest from the sheer fright. With all of his will he forced his jaws apart. “Stay … away... from... me...”