Give Blueblood Some Character! 593 members · 437 stories
Comments ( 23 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 23

all of us must have some head cannon on him and I ask what yours. his history, relations with ponies, personality, and talent.
for me.
He is the grandson of Luna, he is a Tsundere, his talents represent his role as Equestria's ambassador

He's a dick to the fairer sex because he's socially awkward and hasn't the first clue how to treat a mare, much less a true lady such as Rarity. His lack of social skill stems from his love of exploration - the time he spends charting the uncharted is time spent alone. (This also explains why his cutie mark is a compass.)

That would suggest that ponies have a life span of more then a few decades.

4577903 we I said grandson I mean his royalty via her side

He's grandson -of so many greats- to Princess Luna. He's shy and very rude to those he doesn't trust. His talent is, to my mind, that of cartography -or a "Find It" spell user- and as my Avvie, not drawn by me, suggests, spent goal hood close to Celestia.

Then Twilight Sparkle came along.

Blueblood is a pony who was pressured for his entire life by his late father to be perfect. He sort of hates himself because he sees all of his imperfections and cannot allow himself to look past them. He struggles taking compliments but talks himself up like what he's supposed to be, not what he thinks he is.

In my story he had a crush on Shining Armor and it's what forced him to get out of his arranged marriage, despite knowing Shining would never accept his feelings. He believes deep down that being gay is wrong simply because it doesn't allow him to continue his already declining bloodline. He believes he is worth more as a symbol than a pony and treats himself as such, grooming and prepping himself for public while at the same time fearing the public eye. I think his snootiness and selfishness comes more from that fact that's he's a bit whiny in general and never really grew up normally. His reaction when he is afraid is to throw a bit of a fit that only a few ponies realize is fear.

His talent is mostly just navigation, as he can find his way around most anyplace if he even so much as glances at a map. He has a bunch of hobbies mostly forced by his father which he doesn't enjoy. He does enjoy the violin though, and finds it soothing.

In my story he also fell in love with Fancy Pants, who was twelve years older but accepted his feelings in return. Fancy Pants was good for him because he was patient and listened and learned to love him over time.

In my own personal head canon, Blueblood used to be a sweet kid (and actually by the admission of the creators is actual a distant cousin rather than Celestia's nephew). However, Celestia was too busy with her royal duties (everypony is freakishly dependent on her after all) as well as with training Sunset Shimmer, Cadance and Twilight to spend a meaningful amount of time with him. Thus his royal grooming either fell upon the shoulders of his parents or a slew of caretakers and tutors. He fashioned himself after the traditional unicorn rulers of old and thus became snobbish, though highly intelligent (being able to afford the best education money can buy). This put him socially at odds with others as well as with his "Aunt Celestia", though due to being a Prince no one bothered to correct his behavior and Celestia was still too busy. Since Luna's return she has formed a strong bond with her "nephew" and finds his old fashioned ways to be refreshing in a modern world that she has been thrust into.

As far as I`m concerned, Blueblood is an egomaniac. He knows he`s good at what he does, and he does not hesitate to remind ponies about that. He is one of the few nobles that actually does participate in the governance, and has a good head for economy and trade. He views nobility as an institution with seething disdain because he considers most of them to be useless parasites and feels offended by their belief that any of them actually mean something for Equestria. He has very few ponies he`s on amiable terms with - invariably, all of them are movers and shakers, those who`s decisions really make the wheels turn. Celestia tolerates his arrogance because, at least partially, she shares his views on nobility. She also appreciates the work he puts into keeping Equestria rich and influential.
Disdain for nobility also colors his view of those who aspire to be "the pony everypony should know". He views such as worst kind of wannabes and is known for going out of his way to dissuade them by any means possible. It is commonly known in Canterlot that if you want to talk to Blueblood, you need to come talking money and enterprises, not bloodlines and social outings. He has little patience for those who waste his time and tends to crack down hard on crackpots and con artists.

Here's mine. Short of Twilight, he's the most powerful magic user in Equestria (Under 1000 years of age, of course). As a colt, he sneaked his way into the entrance exam to be Celestia's personal student in an attempt to spend more time with her, and blew the competition out of the water. Celestia was reluctant to accept Blueblood because that would look like Nepotism. By sheer luck, one prospective student fell through the cracks, and by a technicality was still eligible for an entrance exam- the one task that even Blueblood couldn't do. If said foal passed, the princess would take them on. If not, then Blueblood would be the best choice. By all accounts, it looked like Blueblood had his coveted seat next to his dear aunt in the bag, but something unexpected happened- the Sonic Rainboom.

While he does maintain his manners among other royalty, he still feels bitter of having what he viewed as his stolen from him. Learning of Cadence's accension, he poured himself into studies of his own- in particular, spells and charms reserved for only those of royal blood by law. As a stallion, he's a veritable army to and of himself. He's made several strides, evolving as a tactician, navigator, and all around scholar, to win his aunt's attention, but each one is over shadowed by something Twilight did. He eventually gave up trying to impress her until he could earn his own wings after Twilight earned hers.

I also like to think that his behavior at the Gala was a deliberate act, to drive Rarity away, a) so that he would be free to keep the Gala under control, b) because Rarity was just another mare seeking him out for seemingly no other reason to marry into royalty and the high life associated with it. In fact, he often summarizes his love life as having dealt with repulsive, and thoroughly unpleasant creatures that gorged themselves on love and affection, and a changeling. The main reason being is that he is gay, and aforementioned mares have chased off the few stallions who he felt actually loved him back. Time and time again, they hear the prince is gay, and think he's just a confused colt who only needs some mare lovin'- a position they're all to happy to fulfill. Since they refuse to let the idea that he's not interested in mares through their thick skulls, he's been forced to resort to making a total ass of himself, which has has driven away all his mare suitors, and his stallion ones as well.

I like to think that his compass rose cutie mark not only represents a knack for navigation, but also an ability to manipulate events and ponies in certain directions, though the latter has had mixed results. Not sure who to hook Blueblood with though... Braeburn?

4578417 I like to think Gay Blueblood would have a crush on shining armor

Celestias Paladin
Group Contributor

First off his full name is Osmium XXIII of the Royal House of Blueblood, though most of nobility (is those that he doesn't call friend) call him Prince Blueblood much to his annoyance. He is a direct descendant of Princess Platinum II, current Heir to the Unicorn Throne, and his relation to the Princesses is simple. They are descended from Platinum's elder brother, Rhodium.

His job strange enough has nothing to do with his status as Crown Prince since its a mostly ceremonial position, he is part of the elite Marshall Service and a trained investigator and peace officer. He is happy in his job since it has some secrecy to it.

He doesn't try to excuse his actions at the gala, though he did try to make it up to Rarity and Applejack. Somewhere in the course of things he started to crush hard on Applejack. Enjoying her down to earth no nonsense personality.

I'll be honest, I've got a lot of those. Just check my stories. And more are on the way.

He is a asshole for a reason to drive away asskickers and gold diging mares in what personal time he gets is spent at his estate relaxing and drinking him self under the table every night due to depression he is also a former commisoned officer in the Royal gurad a position his dad bought for him to try and teach him how to be a stallion and as a prince its his duty to lead form the front line

Blueblood is the descendant of Princess Platinum, whose father took Celestia and Luna as adoptive daughters. He is the prince of Canterlot, though the title is largely symbolic these days, something that causes a certain level of resentment between his family and the Alicorn sisters (a comparison would be if the Mayor of Washington got his authority completely subsumed by the President). His talent involves navigation, and his family own the Royal Crown Shipyards, who are in charge of building a large number of ships in Equestria's navy, and are particularly renown for their aerial luxury cruisers.

Blueblood is actually quite charming in public, but has a bad tendency to let the more odious parts of his personality slip big time around mares he views as "bit-diggers and status-chasers", hence why Rarity didn't find out that her Prince Charming is a massive douche despite like nine months between getting her ticket and actually getting to the Gala. However, they tend to blur together, so he can be quite friendly to mares who don't activate his 'bit-digger' senses the second time around he meets them.

He is a big fan of Daring Do, and sponsors A.K. Yearling during the times when she is not writing, not realizing he is partially funding her heroic expeditions. When he was younger, Princess Celestia once tricked him into going to the dentist by promising she'd take him to the Daring Do theme park, and he is still resentful about it to this day.

4577814 In my headcanon, His name is Vladmir Blueblood (name partially taken from the French MLP Comics), and is the Next-In-Line for the noble House Platinum, a fact he is secretly ashamed of due to the very history of his family. 120,000 years ago after the Mass Exodus from the Far North by the Three Tribes that united them, Princess Jaded Platinum, an important chieftess of the Council of Three; was murdered in cold blood by her younger brother: Cobalt Platinum, in a bid for power. Cobalt Platinum was an apprentice of the dreaded Goat necromancer Grogar; whom was killed 200 years prior; and was the only other time that the Three Tribes ever came close to working together prior to Hearth's Warming Eve. Cobalt sought to take control over the Unicorn Tribe and poisoned his own father; but it wasn't long until the Unicorns saw his older sister Jaded as the next leader. After the establishment of the New Alogan Alliance; Cobalt had his older sister murdered; and blamed her death on the recently-promoted Lieutenant Pansy and his Pegasi Flight Squadron "The Swiftwinds" (The precursor/ancestors of The Wonderbolts flight team). Knowing that Pansy would be Clipped (a punishment involving the forced -and painful- removal of a Pegasus' wings then being dropped to the surface that resulted in the accused's death) Pansy's secret lover: Clover, sought to protect her beloved and ordered his Swiftwinds to save the peaceful stallion they were led by before fleeing farther south to The Unknowns.
With Pansy disgraced and Jaded Platinum dead, Cobalt Platinum sought to return the Unicorns to the Old Ways before this tentative alliance was born, only with the Unicorns in full command of all the Tribes.
Years would pass into decades until one day, Pansy and his Swiftwinds returned- along with an entire Herd of Alicorn Monks (During the time of Alogo, Alicorns were viewed as mutants and monsters, with each of the Three Tribes acting differently with ponies that attain enlightenment and ascend into Alicorns: The Pegasi saw them as the ultimate predator and hunted them for sport, seeking to attain the title of "Alicorns' Bane" upon killing enough, The Earth Ponies saw them as slave drivers, continuously stoning and attacking the Alicorns, The Unicorns saw them as a blemish on their racial purity, and would mostly think that an Alicorn would spawn from an individual that was of Mixed Breed; oftentimes the Unicorn-Based Alicorns were cast out of their own Houses; even if they were the Next-In-Line as Head. The Alicorns all back then sought peace and sanctuary from prejudice and the inter-racisms of the Three Tribes and fled South. For nearly 4 centuries, the Alicorns developed a central society based around peaceful meditation and philosophy; until they were stumbled upon by Pansy and his Swiftwinds. It took years to convince the Alicorns that Pansy meant no threat to the Alicorns, but after all that time, The Swiftwinds and their flightmaster were soon welcomed by the Monks, Pansy himself soon attained Enlightenment himself and was ascended into an Alicorn himself), The First Battle of Canterlot was begun and won when Cobalt Platinum was exposed at last for his crimes; but not before stabbing the High Elder Alicorn and killing her: revealed to be Cobalt and Jadeds' own mother who was ashamed of what her son had become prior to being banished by House Platinum upon Ascension. Cobalt Platinum was imprisoned, awaiting his Wartime Trial that would be followed by his execution... if it were not for the intervention of his loyal Followers that managed to break Cobalt out of prison and flee up north; leaving behind his wife and children who refused to go with him for what he had done.

These events helped in the establishment of Modern Equestria with Priestesses Luna and Celestia, former apprentices of The High Elder chosen to lead the fledgling nation, and to watch over the family of their master as a last request: for their safety from the people that might see House Platinum and the actions of Cobalt Platinum as one-and-the-same.

Currently, Vladmir Blueblood knows of the twisted history that his family was responsible for, of all the bloodshed and horrors Cobalt committed during his tenure, Vladmir seeks to bring back honor and respect to House Platinum as what Jaded wanted for it. But even though the majority of Cobalt's Followers fled up to the Frozen Northlands of Alogo over 100,000 years ago; few still remain within Equestria, even in the other Houses themselves serving the Unicorn-Dominance policy that Cobalt established in their minds generations ago.

In his personal life, Vladmir Blueblood is the owner of Firsthoof Futuristics, a corporation dedicated to the further development of technology; and is the largest manufacturer of Locomotives and Zeppelins in Equestria itself. Vladmir also attended Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns as a Junior Professor beneath Senior Professor Arpeggio (Octavia Melody's older brother, and next-in-line of House Melody: best-known in the show for watching over Twilights' entry exam and subsequently Spike's birth), having grown up with Shining Armor of House Light as his best friend led to him becoming a dear friend and confidant with Shinings' younger sister Twilight Sparkle, and her son Spike. Outside of Canterlot, Vladmir Blueblood's personal love is for that of the Sea, an expert in the field of maritime travel and the art of swordfighting (Cited as a blend of Form II Makashi and Form IV Ataru to precise directed levels), along with a form of water-manipulation that can be augmented for Water Walking even in a typhoon-type storm system.
More to come if interested.

Ooh - good idea for a thread.

-Descendant of Platinum, hence, "Prince."

-Arrogant, yes. The best education that money can buy has made him highly intelligent; academic elitism combines with noble blood and cloistered upbringing to make a pony disdainful of anything stupid, unrefined, or "beneath him." It tends to manifest in antisocial tendencies: a person who sees himself at the top has little need to put-down others to soothe his ego, so he says what he thinks and haughtily ignores any protest.

-Hams up his arrogance when any gold-diggers come sniffing (see: Best Night Ever).

-Quietly ambitious for many things. While the type to mock love as a fool collection of hormones, he secretly wonders what it's like. He sees the great deeds of others and longs to do some of his own, but has no idea where to start, and is further laden by the knowledge that adventures make one late and dirty. He wants to help Equestria's governance as well, but Aunt Celestia does such a good job that he may as well not bother...

Bit amusing that none of these actually match the BB stories I've written.:derpyderp2: In short: an arrogant fop with a rapier brain, carrying in him the fertile soil of greatness... but it must be thrust upon him.

He doesn't try to excuse his actions at the gala, though he did try to make it up to Rarity and Applejack. Somewhere in the course of things he started to crush hard on Applejack. Enjoying her down to earth no nonsense personality.

I don't know why, but somehow I love this.

Celestias Paladin
Group Contributor

The quoted part: the headcanon of BB crushing for AJ.

Celestias Paladin
Group Contributor

He's heard stories about AJ from her mother, Ambrosia who works as Celestia's Chief-of-Staff, and when given the chance to meet her he fell hard. Her reasons for going to Gala helped as well, since she went to sell things for her family. He pops in every so often when that "Crazy Rarity Mare" or Mac isn't around.

I think Blueblood is the closest thing Equestria has to a Viceroy or Prime Minister and he does all the actual day to day bureaucracy that keeps the country running and that his family has filled this role for generations. Celestia apparently has a boat-load of free time so someone has to do it.
The reason he was rude to Rarity was because that's what he does to all the gold-diggers who harass him at social events.
His special talent is navigation and thus he never gets lost and has a borderline precognitive sense of direction.
Cadence is his little sister and she has a huge brother complex
He's a high ranking Naval Officer
He's actually a nice guy when you get to know him

So, where to start?

His first name is Vladimir, he is Luna's grandson (with many greats), he is Cadence's younger brother and she likes calling him 'Be Be', Celestia and Twilight like to call him 'Bluey', had a foalhood friendship and crush with Twilight.

Not developed enough I know, but this is all I could think of at the moment.

He's just sick of mares trying to get with him just for the things they can get out of it so he is a jerkass to any who approach him with blatantly clear intentions of trying to be with him.
Though his low opinion of the lower class is real, he was just raised as papered rich loyalty, everyone is like that under those conditions.

*creeps out of lurkerdom* I've always liked to read other peoples' headcanon, and this thread is no exception. I'm particularly fond of the idea of him and Twilight having known one another.

The only headcanon I have is that he has a pet ermine (which doesn't have a name yet simply because I haven't found one) he loves very much. With characters like Blueblood, giving them pets seems to help the audience see them as something other then awful ogres, IMHO. Plus, Celestia has Philomena, so I think Blue deserves an animal friend too. XD

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 23