Command and Conquer Headquarters 327 members · 33 stories
Comments ( 26 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 26

A little over three weeks ago, I joined the ranks of Command and Conquer Headquarters after reading Material Defender's Tiberian Eclipse and getting hooked on it. You can imagine how disheartened I became when I realized that not only was the story unfinished, but the author had disappeared with little warning for almost one and a half years, with all indications pointing to the likelihood that this is going to be a very prolonged disappearance at best, and a permanent one at worst -- just like many well-written stories I've come across, sadly.

Nevertheless, I've resolved to not let that stop me from working on my own "redux" version of Tiberian Eclipse's premise. It would be a long time before I ever get around to start writing anything concrete, though, as I'm quite inexperienced as a writer despite having a lot of experience in identifying many pitfalls of fan fiction writing, so for the forseeable future all I will have is hypothetical ideas. Since at least one person had expressed interest, I've opened a separate thread for discussion about this unofficial remake (commonly termed "recursive fanfiction" in TV Tropes lingo*). I could always use input on story ideas and even writing tips (especially on how to "train" my writing "muscle", so to speak).

So, without further ado... I first present to you what I currently envision the summary of the remake would be.

The realm of Equestria and the rest of the Equarian world is in ruins, laid low by a mysterious green crystal that poisons and twists all living things, corrupts the land, and endlessly propagates itself no matter what anypony has done. Even the Alicorns' powerful magic proved impotent at stemming the vile infestation, with the crystal-ravaged body of Princess Luna, magically frozen in time on the precipice between life and death, standing as a grim testament to that horrible truth. Celestia, now leading the last remaining stronghold of Equestrian civilization in the beleagured city of Canterlot, despairs at the apparent futility of all their efforts, and helplessly watches as her protégé Twilight Sparkle ceaselessly seeks a solution in the ostensibly all-knowing tomes of ancient Equestrian lore with obsessive desperation. It seems that only a miracle – a divine intervention – may save them from the impending extinction of their race.

Meanwhile, on Earth, over a century has passed after the end of the Tiberium Wars. In the face of discovering the Scrin Imperiate's responsibility for the planet's infestation with Tiberium and their repeated invasions, the three super-states dominating Earth, once mortal enemies, have reconciled with each other and united all of Humanity under the banner of a single alliance. Using reverse-engineered Scrin technology, the United Earth Powers Alliance had taken to the stars and established a fast-growing interstellar network of colonies, while also coming across alien worlds that were suffering Tiberium infestation as well, with some being already claimed by the Scrin's harvesting fleets. Thus the UEPA had been embroiled in a long war against the Scrin Imperiate, liberating and rehabilitating infested planets at the same time that they are defending their own colonized worlds from Scrin assaults. It is in these times that the UEPA comes into contact with a certain heavily Tiberium-wrecked world…

This is a remake of the Command & Conquer: Tiberian series / My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic crossover fanfic Tiberian Eclipse, by Material Defender, with influences including Peptuck's Command & Conquer: Tiberian series fanfics Tiberium Wars and Renegade, Tallman7's Command & Conquer: Red Alert series fanfic Red Alert: The Dawn of Man (rewritten version here).

* Yes, I'm a self-admitted troper and proud of that. Deal with it. ;P

PS: I am ashamed to admit that I've yet to even finish Season 1 of MLP:FIM. Let it be known that I do have every intention of watching every episode before actually writing this story, though.

Luna Aeterna Solutae
Group Contributor

5282440 Trixie has a Red Alert fic sitting in her idea bin that hasn't ever been touched.
The gist was Yuri was transported to Equestria after the Soviet victory, so the Commanders, their aides, and ect were shoved through the Chronosphere.
It was mostly an excuse to have a romance subplot with an Apocalypse Tank pony named Vera having the hots for a Grizzly, and a huge campaign between a coalition force of Soviets, Allies, and Equines versus Sombra, Chrysalis, and Yuri.

Horse Voice
Group Contributor

I'd read it; I say go nuts. But if I could change one thing from the original, it would be the pace. Stuff does happen, but not as fast as a well-written adventure story should.

Also, if you haven't already, you'll want to look up the site rules regarding projects of this kind. It may be necessary to gain the permission of the original author.

Yes. Yes. Please do it.

5282463 IANAMod, but I see nothing in the rules (at least under "Stories: Don't Post") that forbids this. It's really a matter of the original author's wishes - and I'd prefer to interpret radio silence as "go ahead, fill the void".

5282489 Regrettably, silence on this site doesn't equal a yes. Any use whether spinnoff or rewrite requires the author of the original content to give consent. The only possible exception would be if the original author was dead.

Luna Aeterna Solutae
Group Contributor

5282940 Not necessarily.

5282945 If you make something that is an obvious rewrite or continuation of another author's work without their consent, you run the risk of them being able to call "copyright infringement" on you and your work gets taken down. Better safe than sorry, especially since this doesn't fall under any parody clauses.

Slaughterstone
Group Contributor

That was a good story. I'll look forward to yours whenever I happens to come out.

From what I can tell, the only story-related rules that are even remotely related to what I'm doing are the following:

Stories that plagiarize other stories. This means intentionally copying another author’s words and presenting them as your own.

That is certainly not going to be the case. I would include a big disclaimer that clearly explains how the story was inspired by Material Defender's own, and I will also make a point of avoiding copy-pasting. Perhaps "rewrite" was a misnomer; the best description I could think of for what I am trying to do is "spiritual remake". It would be more comparable to the relationship between Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri and Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth; for example, you're not going to see the same human characters as in Material Defender's fic.

Stories you did not write. If you are not the original author or a co-author, you cannot post it, even with permission. This includes “novelizing” a comic, movie, game, etc. that you did not create. For example: a Halo crossover with the same plot, scenes, dialogue, etc. but with the characters replaced by ponies.

Again, not going to be an issue, for reasons already explained above.

“Rewrites” of an old story posted as a new story, unless the changes are substantial. If you are not rewriting your story from the ground up, please just edit your changes into the original story.

The changes are definitely substantial, with an example already provided above.

That said, I will be dropping a comment on the staff page asking about this issue, just to be sure.

Meeester

Fan continuations happen all the time. Just look at the 500 Cupcakes 2 or My Little Dashie sequels. As long as there are no chapters from the original copied into the fan continuation, it's fine.

5283357 Thank you very much. Though technically it's not a continuation, but a remake.

----

On a different note, I think I just confirmed for myself that I apparently I will not get an e-mail notification about new thread comments if they're not specifically responding to one of my own posted comments. Is there a "subscription" option that allows me to be alerted to any new comments in a particular thread?

On a note more related to my WIP story, I'm rather surprised that nobody is asking questions about the "three super-states" line in the human-centric half of the story summary.

Also, how come the formatting options for comments are so sparse? I would've at least expected an option for creating a numerical/bullet list.

5283007 This was almost exactly my analysis.
5283734 Apologies if you get two notifications They're all waiting to read about it in the story, silly! :pinkiehappy:
Also, if a "subscribe to thread" feature exists, I haven't seen it. 5283357 Just while you're here, do you know if that's a thing?

5284414 Well, it's not like it's going to be a spoiler since it will be briefly mentioned within the first few scenes involving humans. Basically, the Earth is politically divided between GDI*, Nod, and the Forgotten**. And they're all at peace with each other... though it took four Tiberium Wars and a big civil war over the peace process (essentially warmongering hardliners vs. pro-reconciliation camp) before that finally happened. And yes, that does mean that you'll be eventually seeing those three factions fighting alongside each other. And yes, they've been doing joint research programs to explore how their signature techs may synergize (which is all I'm going to say on the subject; come on, I have to leave something for the story, right?).

* Which renamed itself from "Global" to "Galactic" after Earth's Interstellar Age began.
** Who in this world are a full-fledged power the way they were going to be during Tiberian Sun's development, before repeated missed deadlines led EA Games to force Westwood to cut a lot of stuff out so that they could actually release game sometime soon. Also, Tiberium mutation can result in psychic powers, as was intended in Westwood's concept for C&C3.

5284444 This sounds so very cool. (I never knew anything in that second footnote. My knowledge has been enriched.)

5284444 why did you have to remind me of that travesty:raritycry:

That's why I don't accept anything after tiberian sun canonically, it just seems like an insult.

5286662 Which one? Because believe me when I say that Tiberian Twilight as it happened does not exist in my headcanon (Crawler tech is interesting, but not enough to replace MCV tech completely IMO), and even Tiberium Wars only exists in a considerably loose form.

5288882 Tiberium wars had potential, but it was poorly executed. The reasons behind the technological regressions on both sides made little to no sense, and they seemed to have scrapped the mutation aspect of mutated fauna, flora and shiners, which I believe was a huge mistake as they added to the bizarre and mysterious Tiberium. (I understand the have mutant shanties that you could capture, but they felt like a husk of what they were, I miss my ghost stalker.)

Tiberium twilight?
...no. Just no.

I used to like EA when I was a kid, but what they have done to my one escape from childhood bullies and constantly moving homes, I will never forgive them. Give the rights of c&c to petroglyph, they can't do any worse.

5288891 Yeah, those are part of why I have a beef against EA Games.

... And no, after what I had learned from such sources as this video series, they probably could have been just as bad if not worse than EA, just in a different way.

Anyway, back to more on-topic matters... I've been trying to come up with a good name for the planet that isn't "Equestria", "Equus", or some other word related to either one, for the following reasons:

1. My understanding is that "Equestria" is strictly speaking the name of the realm that Celestia and Luna directly co-rule, and of which the Crystal Empire/Kingdom is a subordinate semi-autonomous polity (de jure or de facto, doesn't matter which one).

2. "Equus" and other names derived from the same root word are too pony-centric, and thus has uncharacteristic connotations of racial discrimination against the non-pony races that inhabit the world; while one could stretch the definition of "pony" to include other obviously equine-based races such as the zebras, the same cannot be said of griffins, minotaurs or dragons.

To this end, I've contemplating using a new word: Unguarius, from the Latin noun unguis ("hoof, claw, talon") and the Latin adjectival suffix -ārius. Yeah, I know, it's technically related to the word "ungulate", which refers to hoofed mammals. However, its Latin root ungulatus is broader in scope, including animals that have claws instead of hooves. What do you guys think?

somepony1
Group Contributor

A couple of things I don't really get; is why the three powers become allies rather then getting assimilated by GDI? Did C&C four, which is terrible, or a simular event never happen? After All Nod is the embodiment of Kane, an unknown, and they are essntally an cult who worships Tiberium. There are few times Nod teams up with GDI, all times when Kane is gone and when he comes back he broke one of the alliances with GDI during the Scrin invasion. There is one time he allied with GDI but that's only in CNC 4 which most people consider non-canon. So is Kane gone, which will make Nod weak and probably become a sub-section of GDI, or he's still there and somehow made in Alliance with GDI? The forgotten however I need more info; at the end of CNC 2 they become allies with GDI in which they became a part of GDI but then, I'm still not sure why, they broke it in CNC 3 so what happens in you headcannon?

5291035 I did say that four Tiberium Wars have happened before the three-way alliance was made, didn't I? That said, my headcanon for this fic -- which is quite complex, and would probably not be covered adequately in one post -- has timeline closely follow the canon on most if not all major events up from Tiberian Dawn and up until Firestorm, with the events of Tiberium Wars being only loosely adapted and C&C4 being very loosely adapted (and I do mean very loosely; about the only thing I adapted from the game is the GDI-Nod alliance and the insurrectionist movements within both GDI and Nod, though they didn't actually figure into my timeline's 4th Tib War).

There are some significant tweaks in my headcanon, though; the depiction of Nod in the TD era is more closely in line with their portrayal in TS and especially TW, with influences from Peptuck's fanfic Tiberium Wars. For example, the religious trappings are more emphasized (in contrast to them being limited to descriptions of the organization as "pseudo-religious", some of its naming choices, and the Temple of Nod). Also, Gideon Raveshaw's "Black Hand" from Renegade, which seemed to lack any obvious religious trappings? That was a diversion; the real Black Hand was busy elsewhere, especially in Sarajevo where a contingent of them formed the "crack militia" guarding Kane's HQ that General Shepard spoke about in the final GDI mission in TD.

Most importantly, though, is that even as early as the 1st Tib War, the morality of the GDI-Nod conflict was a lot more ambiguous than in canon. GDI and its backers, for example, were not the pure paragon of goodness that they portray themselves as. The accusations of GDI being merely a front for the wealthy Western world's neocolonialist ambitions? Not entirely unfounded; even though GDI at the time was not an actual political government, it would still have to assume direct control of areas that are too unstable or threatened to resume civilian control (which is a lot, due to the widespread and decentralized nature of Nod's presence), and thus have to be subjected to martial law. That would mean they'd be seen as responsible for making sure that companies from UN member states (i.e. it's political and financial backers) stick to the international laws and bilateral treaties governing such transnational operations... and this is where both bribes, threats of funding cuts, and other behind-the-scenes deals in return for turning a blind eye to certain activities come in. And even for areas that are deemed to no longer require a GDI occupation, political backers often exploited the hell out of said areas after GDI "liberated" it, which naturally led to the locals developing a tendency to villify said organization as nothing more than the lapdog of the neocolonial powers that is dressed up as the world's policeman. Additionally, as the conflict dragged on, many of GDI's field commanders grew so frustrated/infuriated and/or traumatized by the fanaticism of Nod troops and frequency of revolts by Nod-sympathizing populations, that they willingly violated international laws of war by doing such things as declaring no quarter at the end of sieges and mass-executing Nod-sympathizing civilians right after retaking a territory while writing them off as having been killed by Nod forces. Of course, there is also the repeated incidents of GDI commanders clashing with each other when a morally upstanding one discovers the atrocities that were (covertly) committed by his/her colleague.

And Nod was not entirely made of gleefully genocidal and warmongering terrorists and cruel tyrants as they're often depicted. In truth, the Brotherhood does suffer from the fact that 1) it has a rather decentralized hierarchy, as shown when the whole organization fractures into practically innumerable vying factions each time Kane is temporarily removed from the picture, and 2) that several of its members are in it less for the actual ideology and more for the slaughter, money and/or power (including, during the First Tiberium War, some high-ranking members of the Black Hand — you know, the cult within a cult that forms the elite of the Brotherhood). And despite giving a different impression, Kane is not be able to exert total control over every single local Nod commander's actions — such extensive micromanagement, even if theoretically possible for him, would have simply led to a significant number of those more mercenarial subordinates to break away from the Brotherhood entirely, severely compromising Kane's agenda with the loss of manpower. As a consequence, Kane decided to tolerate such self-indulgent excesses by the "outer Brotherhood" in return for continued loyalty... to a certain point, mind you. Besides the obvious caveat of interfering with the Brotherhood's greater good (i.e. actually hampering Kane's agenda, intentionally or not), sexual assault against prisoners is too abhorrent and egregious for him to ever tolerate (a good number of the real Black Hand's wetwork involved assassinating Nod commanders who knowingly turned a blind eye to or even encouraged such criminal acts by their troops). In the meantime, the "inner Brotherhood" -- the true believers of Nod's quasireligious ideology -- distanced themselves from the sordid acts of their less enlightened comrades in arms throughout the Tiberian Wars, while willingly using propaganda and claiming credit for Outer Brotherhood acts to paint themselves as absolutely ruthless and dangerous in comparison to the rest of the Brotherhood.

And no, Red Alert 1 didn't happen in this timeline. All those references to Kane being a mysterious advisor to Stalin in his war against Europe are switched to him being a mysterious advisor to Hitler -- though evidence gathered by GDI intelligence operatives indicated that he was not doing much to help the warmongering madman despite being able to, implying that he was not interested in the Nazis achieving victory in their war (and in fact may have even made sure that they would ultimately fail, particularly by exacerbating the Fuhrer's own paranoia, obsession with impractical "wonder weapons", and blindness to his own incompetence), but rather using them to achieve something of importance to him at the time, and furthermore he was suspected to have been involved in facilitating several of the covert operations to smuggle Jews and other ethnic minorities that were victimized by the Nazis out of Nazi-occupied territories. All of this was kept under wraps by the GDI leadership to avoid "whitewashing" what they insisted was a criminal madman... until after the Fourth Tiberium War, when a GDI whistleblower threw that info out in the open with the help of Nod spies.

As for the Forgotten... Well, I'm still working on that front, though one thing for certain is that I'm treating them as having been a full-fledged major power of their own (i.e. a "playable storyline faction" in gameplay terms) since the 2nd Tib War, the way they were planned to be during the development of Tiberian Sun before repeated missed deadlines led to EA Games forcing Westwood to cut down a lot of their plans in order to actually release the game sometime in the near future, which included relegating the Forgotten to a non-playable minor faction. Also, like in Tiberian Incursion, Tiberium mutations has given some Mutants Tiberium-manipulation powers (akin to psionics or "X-Men lite", as a former Westwood employee had put it).

For now, chalk up the breaking of the GDI-Forgotten alliance to any of the following or a combination thereof, all of which happen after the end of the Firestorm Crisis:
1. The politicians running the civilian administration of GDI deciding to focus on other matters that they deemed "more important" than the Forgotten's interests.
2. Said politicians making rather unreasonable demands of the Forgotten after the end of the Firestorm Crisis.
3. The alliance was purely a military one that was made out of immediate need for a united front against a common enemy, and in the absence of such an enemy, all of the long-standing issues between the two factions come to the fore once again, including the majority of the Forgotten's common populace demanding adequate restitution for past mistreatment by GDI personnel and neglect of their plight by the GDI leadership... which would entail politically untenable actions, since some of the indicted include crucial GDI leaders like then current supreme commander of GDI and a celebrated war hero of the 1st Tib War, James Solomon (he repeatedly demonstrates clear bias against the Forgotten, sidelining their interests in favor of focusing on directly attacking Nod, and dismisses the Tacitus as a "Shiner myth" during the TS GDI campaign).

----

OK, so... Here's a summarized timeline.

1930s-1940s: Kane served as a high-level advisor to Adolf Hitler.

1990s: GDI and Nod emerge on the world scene.

1998-2001: 1st Tib War. GDI emerges victorious, though Nod succeeds in dominating Africa as well as hacking the Ion Cannon and firing it upon the White House (the US president was thankfully nowhere nearby).

2030: 2nd Tib War. GDI emerges victorious again.

2031: Firestorm Crisis. Provisional supreme commander of GDI's Earth-bound forces Paul Cortez and Black Hand leader Anton Slavik strike a temporary truce in order to destroy CABAL. Both factions back off afterwards to recover from the losses that CABAL's unexpected revolt wrecked upon both of them. GDI deciphers enough info from the Tacitus to develop a working design for atmosphere-processing technology that halted and is even slowly reversing the Tiberium contamination of Earth's atmosphere.

Mid-2030s: Cortez's mistrust of Nod in general and Slavik in particular (as shown in his one and only communication with Slavik in the Nod campaign of Firestorm) leads him to organize several assassination attempts on Slavik, one of which finally succeeds. This act of backstabbing galvanizes Nod's hatred of GDI and destroys the last shreds of the truce that once existed between the two powers.

2040s: 3rd Tib War. Kane goads GDI into attacking Temple Prime, setting off a sufficiently massive liquid Tiberium explosion that the Scrin mining fleet hibernating at the edges of the Solar System awakens and begins its approach to what it believes to be a world ripe for the taking. Scrin forces are eventually driven off the planet, and the Scrin leadership begins preparations for a full-force invasion. Meanwhile, the Nod A.I. LEGION interfaces with the last remaining Threshold Tower and uses it to gather what intelligence it can on the Scrin.

2060s: 4th Tib War. GDI for once is the aggressor, having interpreted recent troop movements by Nod to herald an impending invasion and decided to launch a preemptive all-out assault to finish off their mortal enemies once and for all. Ironically, they were completely wrong, as Kane had no intention of declaring war this time -- he was merely preparing for the impending Scrin invasion by reorganizing some of his forces, based on recent intelligence reports from LEGION (from which he is cut off by the surprise assault on the Threshold Tower). While Nod struggles to hold GDI at bay, a heavily armed Scrin force arrives and starts laying waste to everyone and everything. Once again, GDI and Nod are ultimately forced to set aside their differences and unite against a common enemy threatening to wipe them out both... and are aided by the unexpected involvement of the Forgotten. The Scrin forces are repelled with great difficulty, and the sacrifice of a combined GDI-Nod-Forgotten strike force ensures the destruction of the Scrin's end of the Threshold wormhole, thus ensuring a decade or so of respite for Earth at the very least.

Post-4th Tib War: A few years after TW4, a GDI whistleblower opens a can of worms by leaking top-secret GDI documents that seriously undermine the integrity of GDI's supposed moral high ground, in particular the aforementioned gathered intelligence about Kane's activities as Hitler's secret advisor and the cover-up of international law violations by some GDI troops and officers against Nod and the Forgotten during several of the past Tiberium Wars. In the aftermath, J.C. Schaffer, a GDI commander with a spotless and illustrious service record (and possibly nigh-suicidal boldness), defies his/her superiors and takes his/her Kodiak command ship directly to the largest known Nod base on the planet, waving the white flag and asking for personal audience with Kane himself, his motive being to figure out what the hell Kane is seeking. The resulting historical meeting and impromptu "interview" breaks the image of Kane as a power-hungry and immoral terrorist leader. In particular, Kane reveals that he had instigated the Tiberium Wars in order to forcibly prepare humanity for the coming of the Scrin, as he correctly predicted that his warning about the alien invasion would never be taken seriously by the world at large without incontrovertibly solid proof (something which he did not possess), and even if it did humor him, the world powers were too mired in their self-interest and bureaucracies to begin a proper preparation process before it's too late; thus he chose to present a common enemy for the world to unite against in himself and the Brotherhood of Nod, and the first three wars were all designed so that no matter which faction wins, Kane's agenda will be furthered and humanity would another step closer to being ready for the Scrin.

In the wake of the revelations, plus the Forgotten leadership sharing spoilerific secrets with both GDI and Nod's leaders, Kane, Commander Schaffer and those of GDI's leadership who are reasonable enough to give Kane the benefit of doubt agree to begin a multilateral negotiation process for a permanent end of hostilities and laying a framework for the following items: The settling of standing reparation claims for damages and human rights violations incurred throughout the past four Tiberium Wars; the establishment of processes for formally designating borders; the establishment of processes for resolving future disputes; and the establishment of processes for long-term political, economic, and military cooperation between the signatory parties.

Unfortunately, the negotiation process is met with great discontent from hardliners among the ranks of all three powers as well among the respective populations and organizations under each faction's governance, which led to several largely independent and uncoordinated uprisings that quickly ignited into a full-fledged civil war, later becoming known as the "Great Insurrection". Reasons for rejecting the burgeoning treaty ranged from those who saw the very negotiation process itself as untenable betrayal of their faction, to those who were too distrustful of the two other parties to consider any negotiation with them as worthwhile, and to those who personally benefited from the conflict's perpetuation (e.g. war-profiteering arms dealers). The Insurrectionists are defeated within a year, in part due to their refusal to cooperate with Insurrectionists from other factions (in contrast to the Loyalist bloc), and the finalized treaty becomes known as the Manchester Accords.

Relations do remain strained for a few decades, as the wounds of the past would not heal over night. But after a little over a century, the average UEPA would find it hard to believe that their faction was once at war with either of the other two.

PS: This became much longer than I had expected when I first started writing this comment. I'm reasonably sure there are things I've forgotten to address here, so ask away if you notice such things.

somepony1
Group Contributor

Thanks for clearing up most of my confusion but I do have one grievince; why an Alliance? I think I worded it wrong in my last comment I was trying to ask why don't the three factions come under one faction with GDI, Nod, and forgotten as a sudo subfactions. Like each subfaction is just a different play style if this where a game and they don't have to be named GDI, Nod, and Forgotten. Also, going off what I just said, I don't really like the name: UEPA I just don't know why but the words in a faction name that contains 'United' and 'Alliance just doesn't work for me in tib universe. Also 'Earth' shouldn't be relevant if they have colonies (it will make them feel like they have no power). Keep in mind you don't need to make a nation name an aconym or even in english it can be in Latin for all I care. You don't have to worry about it though I can get use to it... eventually.

I have one question though: will the pony's be the first friendly extraterrestrial (that's inflected with Tiberum of course) we meet or will another race take that honor. To be honest us meeting an extraterrestrial that's not inflicted with tiberium is next to impossible since our surrounding area will be under scrin control... The thought accrued would we be using more drones to do our fighting since we are going to be outmatched with 1 human to 1[I don't know how many zeros] Scrin forces.

Please excuse my poor Grammer I typed this on my phone

Thanks for clearing up most of my confusion but I do have one grievince; why an Alliance? I think I worded it wrong in my last comment I was trying to ask why don't the three factions come under one faction with GDI, Nod, and forgotten as a sudo subfactions. Like each subfaction is just a different play style if this where a game and they don't have to be named GDI, Nod, and Forgotten.

Short answer: In Diversitas Concentus, Ex Concentus Vis. Harmony in Diversity, Strength from Harmony. That's the UEPA motto, and it's inspired by the concept of "unity in diversity", which forms the motto of the European Union.

Long answer: Because I want the three factions to remain distinct from each other, maintaining their own unique approaches to war and other pursuits, as well as having their own macrocultural identities (no, they're not culturally homogenous superstates), yet united in the common primary goal of protecting humanity from all threats to its existence (including itself), and the secondary goal of protecting all other forms of life that do not pose an inherent threat to humanity from the depredations of the Scrin in particular and any other species/civilization that has malicious intentions for forms of life other than themselves in general. Your suggestion entails diluting their differences, which would ultimately take away from their combined strength. Besides, technically speaking they are a single super-faction -- or at least, on the road to eventually becoming one -- they're just a lot more distinct from each other than most subfactions of the same macrofaction are. Integration doesn't happen overnight, and a mere century is too short for three factions that were once locked in mortal combat.

Also, going off what I just said, I don't really like the name: UEPA I just don't know why but the words in a faction name that contains 'United' and 'Alliance just doesn't work for me in tib universe. Also 'Earth' shouldn't be relevant if they have colonies (it will make them feel like they have no power).

Think of the name as "Alliance of Earth's United Powers". And the "Earth" part is relevant, because Earth is the cradle of humanity, and at this point the colonies are still heavily dependent on Earth (and the rest of the Solar System's colonies, since their relatively extreme proximity to Earth means easier and faster growth and development) for long-term sustainability and protection. Also, the Roman Empire gets to call itself "Roman" even though the word technically refers to the capital city alone, and I believe there are other similar examples in human history; why can't humanity do the same for their species-wide polity?

I have one question though: will the pony's be the first friendly extraterrestrial (that's inflected with Tiberum of course) we meet or will another race take that honor. To be honest us meeting an extraterrestrial that's not inflicted with tiberium is next to impossible since our surrounding area will be under scrin control...

Like in Material Defender's fic, the Unguarians (ponies and non-ponies) aren't the first sapient alien species/civilization to be met by humanity, though they're certainly the first that possess what seems to be actual magic, to say nothing of the world being home to creatures that are more or less dead-ringers for fictitious creatures from human myths, folklore, and sometimes even modern fiction.

The thought accrued would we be using more drones to do our fighting since we are going to be outmatched with 1 human to 1[I don't know how many zeros] Scrin forces.

Yeah, I'm contemplating how to address the issue of numerical disparity between humankind and the Scrin, though I should note that we humans managed to jump from 6 billion people to 7 billion in a mere 13 years. Real-life optimistic estimates of world population growth project that by 2150 -- which is a mere few decades before the story's time frame -- humankind will reach 24.8 billion. Now, obviously this figures wouldn't be accurate if we figure in the death toll caused by Tiberium worldwide infestation and its resulting maladies... but there's also the massive technological advancement in comparison to real life, both with and without either Tiberium-based technologies or the vast hyperadvanced alien knowledge within the Tacitus. Chances are that humanity will have discovered a way to accelerate its population growth by the time the alliance has been formed (which is near the end of the 21st century, i.e. circa 60-80 years from now).

5310435 just curious, but is anything happening with the redux?

5408524 Not yet. Got sidetracked by real life as well as getting hit with inspiration for other story ideas. Will get back to this ASAP, though.

5408639 don't worry, there's no rush, i just got worried when there was no follow/confirmation at the end of this thread.

i read the red alert/mass effect crossover on fanfiction that you told us about: the premise and history behind it was good, but the execution and meat of the story seemed stale and the protagonist seemed very shallow. granted there is a revamped version that i have yet to read, so i am hoping that one will be better.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 26