The Lunaverse 2,571 members · 202 stories
Comments ( 33 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 33

what do you think about raindrops childhood ? i would like to hear yours headcanon a about her childhood and how it shows in her everyday life .
did she knew fluttershy or rainbow dash in flight camp? how her rage issues began and what problems did they brought and finally her poor flyings skills .
my headcanon is the following : raindrops had a fairly normal childhood and went to flight camp ,there she was classmate with rainbow and fluttershy but never spoke more than a few words with them .she was very dissapointed when she discovered that her flying skill was subpar , but luckily fluttershy spectaculars falliures at flying overshadowed that .
later in her life , at school she loved sports specially a version of football called stormball ( based in a great comic ) and decided to try, but she did very bad at the tryouts having , she tried every other pegasi sport but to her dismay all of them where based in agility and speed . having made a fool of herself in front of everypony she began to get teased and won the nickname "chicken wings" " fliying brick "or "blumblebee" *. angry and dissapointed one day she snapped and punched one bully .then she started getting into fights constantly for almost anything . fortunately her brother was born and the family had to move to ponyville , there the earth ponies and unicorns didint noticed her poor flyings skills and was more relaxed , but deep down she was still angry and worse selfconsocius about not being to fit a pegasus mold.

*english is not my first language i dont know much about insultings nicknames (my first language is spanish)
pd : i am not sure of where to put this i was going to put it in brainstorming but i didint wanted to change the dream disscusion

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

This is more-or-less the canon I had assumed for her, actually...

Seems to work just fine for me...
And it gives me an idea on how/why M!Raindrops could be different from L!Raindrops- the non-Lunaverse Raindrops may have never gone to flight school, choosing to stay in Ponyville and learn from practice or her parents rather than teachers, which would keep her from having L!Raindrops' anger issues, and she probably wouldn't be as strong either since she wasn't fighting anypony. If the in-show stuff is anything to go by, she appears to hang out with Ditzy Doo fairly often. Maybe they've always been clutzy fliers together in the mane 'verse?

Just a theory, of course.
Also, if you're a TVtroper like I sometimes am, being a 'flying brick' is sometimes a good thing >.>

I headcannoned (is that a word?) that L!Raindrops was the pegasi equivilent of a giant tractor: slow, not very manuverable, but incredibly strong with lots of endurance and low maintaince.
M!Rainbow Dash is more like a sports car: fast, manuverble, and something of a hangar queen. Rainbow has speed, L!Raindrops has torque.

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

This.

Raindrops isn't a weak flier. In her own ways she's every bit as amazing as Rainbow Dash. The later can out fly a storm, the former can just power through it.

So...

Raindrops is a Monster Truck
Dashie is a Ferrari
Ditzy is a minivan
Fluttershy is a limousine

And Blossomforth is one of those sporty "don't call it a station wagon" crossovers. Flexible as HELL.

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

And Thunderlane has a huge crush on L!Raindrops? ;)

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

And now I'm imagining a story where Rumble and Snails go all CMC on H&HD to get their respective siblings together.

Unfortunately such a story would actually make use of that accursed Rumble character tag, and the fact that you made me conceive a legitimate use for it is a something for which I will never forgive you , Striker.

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

raindrops really needs a scene doing something awesome with the weather team , like cutting the wind during an everfree hailstone allowing the other to pass or helping to keep the formation during a tornado .

333898 i agree raindrops can do very cool things, but despite this she being consireded a poor flyer is a headcanon of mine about how pegasi culture thinks about flying . endurance and strengh are considered secondary to speed to and manoeuvrability .
in the words of commander hurricane " those who cannot outfly a wyrm deserve to be eaten by it"

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

I can agree with most of that, though more so as just how pegasus kids think rather than the whole culture in general. As a child she probably came off as clumsy (but still not weak) as she, like most youths, tried to focus on stunts and fancy maneuvers. It wasn't until she matured a bit and came to recognize where her actual abilities lay (power/stamina) that she truly came into her own.

Her talents might never earn the kind of adorations that nimble speedsters like Rainbow Dash or the Wonderbolts get, but Raindrops would certainly be well respected among her colleagues. The kind of kind of dependable workhorse that every good team needs as it's anchor.

On a side note that's a lesson I'd like to imagine her M! counterpart never learned hence why she's still something of a klutz.

Oh, and one final note about Commander Hurricane, I'd imagine a statement like that would be pared with something like, "...but all the speed and fancy tricks in the world won't do you lick of good if you can't buck the beast a hard one upside it's head", or in other words, "It's not enough to float like a butterfly if you can't also sting like a be", just probably with bigger more frightening animals for the metaphor to go with their proud warrior race traditions.

Not enough to flit like a sparrow if you can't stoop like a hawk?

334029 we should try to make a brainstorm about pegasus culture,

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

Maybe falcon for speed and eagle for strength.

Armies need logistics. Even armies of magical pegasi. Pegasi like Raindrops wouldn't be front-line combatants, but supply carriers. Able to carry the spare weapons of a squad, their food, a shelter, and in a pinch, a squadmate. Not entirely glamorous, but very necessary.

I actually see there being three 'sides' to flying, and different pegasi are good at different parts.

Rainbow Dash and the Wonderbolts are primarily focused on the 'speed' part of flying, which is the most-celebrated as it's flashy and has been a key part of pegasus survival through history.

Raindrops and possibly Commander Hurricane himself are more on the 'power' side of things- not particularly fast, but stronger. Far better at shoving around clouds that are heavy with rain and lightning, along with moving anything else as well as physical combat and hefting weapons. Being able to fly while in heavy armor was probably key to power-fliers in the past.

The third side is what I see Fluttershy as actually being, if she'd bothered to stay in Cloudsdale- Gliding. Riding the wind, reading thermals, and otherwise staying in the air without 'fighting' to stay. Skill versus natural speed or strength. I see this as also being Dash's weakest area, as her attempts to swoop and dive between clouds are usually where she crashes, and those look almost entirely skill-based. Holding one's wings at this or that angle and how they carry their weight make this the most complicated side of flying.

Then again, this is all basic conjecture. Most Pegasi (to me) appear to be usually excel at one of the three, and do equally bad at one of the others- Dash has speed out the wazoo, a good amount of power, but low gliding skills, whereas Raindrops has a truckload of power and can glide just fine, but has quite a low speed.

I imagined the ancient pegasi like the mongols concentred in mobility , attacking weak targets ,preparing ambushes and retreating quickly with little loses .the only times of a real battle would be againts quick flying enemies like griffons .

regarding raindrops do you think she still trains to improve her speed and agility or she gave up?

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

I wouldn't say she gave up, but I wouldn't say she practices either. She's not like Rainbow Dash, constantly training to be better. Rather, Raindrops has reached a level on contentment, her skills being precisely were she needs them to be to do what she does.

334029 So she's Maine, pre-Sigma?

334124 Actually, that makes a lot of sense! :twilightsmile:

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

333953 I've established that he's shown interest in Blossomforth, and the feeling is apparently mutual.

Poor Cloudkicker, constantly rebuffed by Blossomforth.

But then, "We should totally bang!" isn't the most effective of pick-up lines. :twilightsheepish:

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

334275:rainbowlaugh: I don't thinj our Cloud Kicker has tiger blood :rainbowlaugh:

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

True, though that could only make Rumble & Snails trying to play matchmaker with their siblings all the more hilariously awkward.

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

334306 So would that mean Rumble and Snails are good friend?

and you know Rumble would be the 'brain' of that outfit :derpytongue2:

Well, let's see, Snips, Snails, Truffle, Inkspot, Featherweight, Rumble...

Hey! We've got another "Power Hex"

Two of each species, and potentially friends...

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

Well maybe not close friends on a regular basis, but for the purpose of this misadventure they would at least team up for mutual benefit. As for the brains? Part of me would just as soon see a totally clueless and with no actual good reason to be involved in the first place Snips take on that role.

Possible setups for this scenarios might involve Rumble somehow getting a hold of a love letter his brother intended for Blossomforth (maybe a scrapped couldn't get the words right draft pulled from the waste bin) and somehow misinterpreting that it's for Raindrops. Alternatively maybe just him overhearing half a conversation or something. Maybe add in that it's only when he's comparing things with stuff that Snails has misheard or simply poorly explains that the trio come to the false presumption.

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

334330 but why would they want the two of them to hook up exactly?

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

Well if they are under the misunderstanding that both have unrequited hidden feelings for the other they'd simply be trying to help out. They're both good little brothers and just want their sibling to be happy, even if they don't understand what the big deal is with all the mushy grownup stuff is.

Speaking of not understanding, and thinking back to one of the brainstorms for Raindrops dreams. Maybe Snails has stumbled across a few of his sister's hidden stash of trashy Romance novels and the colts use that as a reference guide on how to set the two up together.

HopeFox
Group Contributor

I like the idea of Raindrops not really fitting in well with manestream pegasus culture. Modern pegasus culture seems to place a heavy emphasis on sports, which probably derives from ancient pegasus society's military tradition. I think of Raindrops as really not giving a buck about sports, which sets her apart from more conventional pegasi like Rainbow Dash and, well, everypony we saw in "Hurricane Fluttershy" other than Fluttershy. This is part of the conflict I'm planning for "Sonic Raindrops", because Raindrops cares nothing for the Best Young Flier competition, while even Ditzy Doo makes the effort to compete, despite knowing that Rainbow Dash will win.

It could well be that half of Ditzy's troubles in life come from overextending herself to prove herself as a pegasus. She seems to be a glider like Fluttershy trying to become a speedster like Rainbow Dash.

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

and of course her eye problems do not help with that one iota.

maybe ditzy is trying to convince raindrops to compete in a different category , something grupal where you have a better possibility of winning despite not being as skilled .

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 33