The Writers' Group 9,300 members · 56,491 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10
SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Totally forgot to start the discussion thread last night, but better late then never. I still haven't watched it, anyways. Just glad I managed to catch this before any threads popped up about it...

So today's episode is "Once Upon a Zeppelin", by Brittany Joe Flores. I think it involves Twilight and Zeppelins. Maybe she takes a trip on a Zeppelin to some clockwork and steam type city for a vacation, then realizes after a few hours that she accidentally left Spike behind somehow?

Anyways, as usual, this'll be the official discussion thread, and you can talk about it here or discord, and the usual places...

--Sweetie Belle

The writing for this episode was surprisingly high-quality. Not as chatty in certain points, which only adds to the ambiance and lets the viewer digest the story and characterizations better. Also, Iron Will's back! Yay! And that suicide tease was awesomely morbid.

Cue Twilight's parents telling her that she and Star Tracker should totally get married. That'd make for a fun story/episode.

Pros:
- Iron Will is back and he was pretty good
- writing that gave the facade of an interesting plot (by adding more characters)
- more characterization given to Twilight's family

Cons:
- horribly predictable
- rehashed lesson
- I feel like the writers here were just running out of ideas and decided to half-ass a safe "stand up for yourself" episode (which they've already done several of)

If anyone is wondering why Starlight Glimmer exists, this episode offers a very good explanation. And yet people wonder why I think the show is dying.

Overall, pretty poor episode. It's disappointing because after several decent episodes I was beginning to think that the show wasn't dying.

Maybe she takes a trip on a Zeppelin to some clockwork and steam type city for a vacation, then realizes after a few hours that she accidentally left Spike behind somehow?

If nothing else, that would've been way more original and way more interesting than what we got.

Mr Torgue's zeppelin cruise. I'd be down.

I thought the episode was a little too predictable. More of a filler than anything else. Also, who's flying the zeppelin on the way back?

I have not seen the episode yet because I do not have American TV but I hope it's going to be on YouTube

It took me a bit, but I eventually found it. The strike downs usually die away, leaving later uploads safe.

As for the episode, I'm with Tamerlane1405 here, though my reasons for disliking are a bit different.

My main gripe is that Iron Will's plan is hinged on whether Twilight would even be there in the first place, which as the start of the episode indicates, could have been a no. He could have told Twilight and Cadence his ideas before the cruise launched. Heck, it would have felt more fluid that way, since if Twilight agreed so early on, it would be more natural for her to do all she promised. As is, she goes along with Iron's plans because she does not want to disappoint strangers she's barely met, and who have thus far been fairly creepy towards her and her family. It feels bizarre.

I do agree the setting is fresh, and I want to like this episode. But it fell flat for me.

Cinder Vel
Group Admin

Us Non-Americans can watch the live-streams when MLP episodes air. It's around 17:30 in CET (your timezone). Not gonna post link but you can just google MLP livestream. Of course you can also always watch when it is uploaded on youtube or dailymotion.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10