The Writers' Group 9,301 members · 56,503 stories
Comments ( 13 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 13
SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Almost forgot about this post, but I did manage to remember in time, at least. The latest episode that's gonna air is one called "Triple Threat".

Don't know who the writer is on this one, which is kinda unfortunate, because it appears to be a Spike episode, and those are always sorta hit or miss.

Looking at the title, I think "Triple Threat" is supposed to refer to somepony who is equally good at three things, and Spike does have a fair number of things he's good at, so I could see that. It could also be literally three threats, or a buncha problems happening at once. If they're being clever, maybe it's both.

Now, there was a trailer in which Spike said "All my worst fears are happening!". We've actually seen Spike's worst fear back in the Crystal Empire. If I remember, it was Twilight not needing him any more and sending him away. I think it'd be pretty hard for that to actually happen, but I could see Spike thinking it would happen much easier. I think Twilight would be more likely to send him away for the reasons she was thinking about sending Sunset Shimmer away, honestly.

Anyways, this is the official thread for discussing anything related to this episode, and as usual, you can discuss it in the episode channels on the discord group as well.

--Sweetie Belle

Actually the symptoms of it is that Spike planned to spend a day with Ember and a day with Thorac but ended up with both being the same day...

I think Twilight would be more likely to send him away for the reasons she was thinking about sending Sunset Shimmer Starlight Glimmer away, honestly.

Sunset's the cool one.

You would think that would just be a double threat. If the title is inaccurate, so help me I'll… I'll… well, I won't do anything, but I will be annoyed. :twilightangry2:

Sorry ypu are annyoed, but that is information available since May

So... based on things she said in the episode, Ember now needs to be shipped with Bulk Biceps and Maud Pie. She also won't be able to tell the difference between the two.

I'm only 5 minutes in and I have to say Thorax is adorable. Something about a giant antlered bug horse obsessing over a fire just gets me.

Also, I just noticed he has a wing for a tail.

So, Thorax is like Fluttershy and Ember is like Rainbow Dash? How long until we have people shipping Ember and Thorax, maybe even in threesomes with Spike?

Lore galore!
The Changelings are in a ‘pack’ rather than a hive or a herd. Interesting word choice.
This is the first in-show confirmation that Changelings can become other animals (the comics did it a while back). I note he could still speak while he was a bear, which either means he can control the transformation of the vocal cords individually, or Harry has a secret.
Apparently some Changelings have refused to follow Thorax's rule; whether that means they didn't transform is unclear.
The Friendship Map is making friends… or something. Currently, it appears to be focused on the ponies it sees most often; both Spike and Starlight live at the castle, after all.

Ember not being able to tell Twilight and Starlight apart was perfect. Just, perfect.

It's already happened. I know I'm doing it.

Lets's see:
1). She's allergic to feelings
2). Awkward hugs
3). Hates admitting when she's wrong

Tsundere Ember headcanon confirmed and accepted

I'm happy to see the episode receiving positive reviews. I was personally unimpressed.

(SPOILERS!)

Spike, the official friendship ambassador to Ponyville, has accidentally invited Princess Ember and Thorax to town on the same day. This freaks him out to the point of believing that if they meet, they will hate each other enough to start a war between their tribes. Surely Twilight will point out how ridiculous this is, explain how Ember and Thorax are both adults with commonsense, and that just because they are different, does not mean they cannot get along. Nope. Twilight (alongside Starlight) agree to keep the two apart, having Spike spend limited amounts of time with each just to run off and meet the other. It is a common formula, and while not every story that does it is bad, this one certainly is.

The result is not very engaging, and even baffling. During the shenanigans, Spike gets called by the map to solve a friendship problem, obviously the one he's creating. Instead he heads into town to solve problems between random ponies. As is almost always the case with the formula, those who are being kept apart eventually meet, and are angry. But the two patch things out later on, and give advice to one another on how to be better leaders (Thorax not to be so passive, and for Ember being friendlier.) Spike pleads for and receives forgiveness. I would not mind Spike causing his own problems if the episode were actually funny, as humor can save just about any formula. There is just not enough here.

Not really the best episode, unfortunately.

Ember's inability to distinguish Starlight and Twilight plays into one of my ideas as to ponies not being as vibrant in Equestria, as the show depicts. I once even went so far (at one point of my brony life) to suggest that ponies are the same colour as our world's ponies, but that the colours we see in the show are a visual medium's attempts to show us a pony's scent.

Then Ember said, "you're both purple." Ideas shattered.

And yes, "there can only be one purple horse wizard. Fight!"

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 13