The Writers' Group 9,317 members · 56,713 stories
Comments ( 128 )
  • Viewing 101 - 150 of 128

Nobody can respond to everything they disagree with.

Challenge accepted. Come at me bros.

It's my holidays, I'm still in the clothes I slept in and am eating oreos, I've got all the time in the world. :rainbowdetermined2:

1212237 Lets ban threads about banning threads. Who's with me? :flutterrage:

I disagree. You didn't respond to my point; you simply reiterated that you disagree.

I further disagree. You only have your lifetime, and I assure you that these moments are not returned to you. No one has "all the time in the world".

I further further disagree that this is the best use of anyone's time. If an argument is flawed, execution of that argument in real-world terms will result in the flaws tearing that execution down; if an argument is not, execution of that argument in real-world terms will result in success. Ergo, it'd be a better use of time and energy to commit oneself to the execution of arguments one believes in, as opposed to arguing about the beliefs of others.

For instance, this discussion. Although it's sort of amusing, I guess, it's not geting anything done on my story, which would actually be productive of me.

I could spend all night in here, or I can give you the last word.

Which would you like? (Hint: I automatically disagree, and I bet you can't come up with what my counter-argument will be and provide a counter-counter-argument to it in advance.)

I disagree. You didn't respond to my point; you simply reiterated that you disagree.

Because we're not actually arguing anything important, right?

I further disagree. You only have your lifetime, and I assure you that these moments are not returned to you. No one has "all the time in the world".

Very well then, I have all the time in my lifetime, excluding the hours I sleep.

I further disagree that this is the best use of anyone's time. If an argument is flawed, execution of that argument in real-world terms will result in the flaws tearing that execution down; if an argument is not, execution of that argument in real-world terms will result in success. Ergo, it'd be a better use of time and energy to commit oneself to the execution of arguments one believes in, as opposed to arguing about the beliefs of others.

If the arguments of others are created as direct challenges to arguments you have presented then yes, the time spent arguing about those arguments is worth one's time, as it further vindicates your original point and demolishes the criticism presented towards it. As for the beliefs of others, those beliefs have an impact on the world, both what is close and what is far, and as such, it is always important to try to eliminate stupidity and ignorance. Additionally, I enjoy arguing, so it is well worth my time.

For instance, this discussion. Although it's sort of amusing, I guess, it's not geting anything done on my story, which would actually be productive of me.

Arguing, to me, is incredibly productive. It sharpens your wit and exposes you to new arguments against your position that you can defend against. Some consider it a waste of time, I consider it anything but.

I could spend all night in here, or I can give you the last word.

Which would you like?

Give it to me, because this is a troll argument and none can out-troll me :rainbowlaugh:.

(Hint: I automatically disagree, and I bet you can't come up with what my counter-argument will be and provide a counter-counter-argument to it in advance.)

The technical term is 'prolepsis', see you learned something by arguing! :pinkiehappy:

Oh wait, I remember seeing that. Look, when somebody asks "why are we here?" I know my first thought isn't in reference to some obscure youtube video from what, 10 years ago. "Why are we here?" is THE question that religion was created to answer. So, yes. Yes that is the perfect place for that to spring up. It didn't help anything that the video didn't show up until enough people who clearly didn't get the reference had already gotten started.

1212803>>1212757 :ajbemused:

This has, effectively, become an argument about arguments

Ladies and Gentlemen?

1212237 All hail Kane! The one true messiah!

Oh, and listen to Solar Flicker. He was actually thinking when he wrote this.

Yuri owns Kane any day, just FYI.

*obligatory inception reference*

1212834>>1212847 It's funny because it's bullcrap

Everyone knows that Optimus Prime is best messiah

I'm curious, since I haven't seen any admins post in this thread, does it have permission to be stickied? (See rule 4.2 and the fact that user can still sticky threads without admin powers (I just checked with one of my threads in the shipping group)

1212237 I support this wholeheartedly.

Especially as its clear that Equestria isn't Christian, Buddhist, Islamic or what have you, no matter what people may want to think. They clearly see Celestia as a diety and thus any ideas on Pony religion have to reflect that.

Approved. I'm not interested in being called a racist when I try and tell my story, and certainly being flamed with hate simply because someone disagrees with me is not cool.

1213169 My apologies, I hadn't remembered the rule.
Although I'm surprised I haven't seen any admins in the thread either.
For completely other reasons.

Wut 'bout the priest collar in the Heart and Hooves day episode? And when did they call Celestia a diety?

This sounds an awful lot like a belligerent argument starter. If you want sensible discussions try not swearing

Also I see much more people hating on religion than I see people hating because of their religion

1212246 They're the same brand of idiots that have the stolen and twisted Darwin Fish on their cars, or really any form of pop culture they can steal and make into their own nasty stuff.

1216023 um...

the Christians had the fish first, Dude

1216085 I sincerely doubt that, but I'm not going to argue. I'm just going to say there were fish long before christians...

1216197 I'm just sayin' the Christian fish symbol thing was round before the Darwin fish thing, not that fish haven't been around for a while

>He really thinks the Ichthus symbol came after Darwinists copied the design.

if troll 5/5, breddy gud. I'm actually a little rustled due to the lack of historical knowledge.

I really do hope an admin saw this thread, because holy hell...

1213637 When did they call Celestia a diety?

Well, she created the sun and entire daytime sky (first episode)

Rarity says "with Celestia as my witness" in Sisterhooves Social--invoking Celestia the same way we might invoke God.

Pretty much I've never seen any indication that they *don't* see Celestia as a god.

Well, she created the sun and entire daytime sky

Then where was she during the founding of Equestria? Back when the Unicorn tribe was lifting the sun erryday?

1226252 Personal headcanon (prolly need to make a fanfic with this premise)...

Back in the day, Celestia used to be a prick and didn't care about making friends. Then she met Unico.... and things changed. After that is when she became the loving Princess we all know today.

Although, personally I prefer to not even acknowledge Hearth's Warming Eve. It's an effing PLAY they put on--do plays in the real world represent actual history? No? Then why should one in a fictional universe do so?

• Viewing 101 - 150 of 128