The Writers' Group 9,298 members · 56,449 stories
Comments ( 23 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 23

This is a writing challenge that might test your thinking and imagination. Plus it's kind of fun if it works for you.

Objective:

1. Play a list of songs available to you. It can be Pandora Radio, iHeartRadio, or a shuffled playlist from your iPod or MP3 player. Make sure to shuffle the music.

2. Make a One Shot Fic that follows your playlist. When a songs starts playing, look at the song title. You will write something that relates to the title. You will also have to follow the mood of each song.

3. As a new song appears, start a new paragraph. Follow the new song and title after starting a new paragraph, and make sure to keep the story as a whole consistent from the start.

4. Continue on until you feel like the story is finished, or at least above 1,000 words.

5. Once you're finished, you may publish your One Shot Fic on Fimfiction.

Participation is voluntary.

Intriguing... might give this one a go

Too bad when I'm finished it will look like a piece of crap that can't be tagged or understood properly... :facehoof:

I listen to too many kinds of music for this to work for me.

Using MY playlist? You're talking about a story that could potentially feature the following:

Rockepella - Folger's Commercial
Alien Shore - Alchemy
Chris Gaines - It Don't Matter to the Sun
Elvis Presley - Wooden Heart
Dave Mathews Band - Rapunzel
Trace Adkins - Chrome
Dixie Chicks - I'm Not Ready to Make Nice
Michigan Amazin' Blue - Taco Bell Canon
Van Halen - Hot For Teacher
ABBA - Thank You For the Music
Aerosmith - Dream On
Bruno Mars - The Lazy Song
Peter Cetera - The Glory of Love
Lady Gaga - Teeth
PDQ Bach - 1712 Overture
The Doors - Break on Through
Peter, Paul, and Mary - Leavin' on a Jet Plane
Devo - Whip It
The Royal Guardsmen - Snoopy vs. The Red Baron
Alvin & the Chipmunks - The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late)

That's the first 20. Actually, I'm amazed that it took 20 songs to hit the first holiday song. What's even more amazing is that neither Billy Currington nor Paula Abdul made the list (my mp3 player has its favorites...)

1187278 This reminds me of a LiveJournal game friends and I used to play.
You'd hit shuffle, play about 20 songs, then take a somewhat obscure line from each, post it in a list and see who can guess the songs.
Tricky game; shows how well you know your songs ... and just how old you really are.:facehoof:

1187278 Huh, I might give that a shot!:twilightsmile:

1187278 This is creative. It might be what I need to get the juices flowing again...
I'll have to try this tonight.

Intriguing.
I'll do something with that when I have the time.
14GB of music. Probably another 25 unripped.
About a gig of my own.
Yep. I can do it.

Participation is voluntary.

Thanks for not forcing us to play your game :rainbowlaugh:

This challenge is funny because it prescribes my normal writing process, though I usually choose the order of the songs I work with. You gonna judge the submissions?

1188861 I'm not sure who would do judge the submission. I know I won't do a job at judging.

Funny, I was working on a tale based in two songs, Ghost Riders In The Sky and Hellbound Train. Will let you know when it's ready

So wait, do we only have the time it takes for the song to finish to write the paragraph(s) about it? Looks interesting though, I might give it a try

1189611 Well that's just as good. I'll have fun with this challenge, thank you. :pinkiehappy:

1190085 yes.
1190227 I'm thinking people can post their one shots in the story folders for this group

1190710 I got 103.8gb so I keep getting all these songs that don't mesh lol

Oh gosh I bet it will be hard. Time to go get started :)

1187278 So do we use the first song in the shuffled playlist(The one we picked so we can change it to shuffled) or do we skip to the next song?

So I did it last night, is there a certain folder (instead of just main) that I should add it to? Or should I just post it in a comment?

Well it is the first chapter in my story titled "Various One-Shot Octavia and Vinyl Fics" if anyone wants to read it:pinkie happy:its really ridiculous:rainbowlaugh:

It's going to be godawful, but I'm intruded enough to give this a go.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 23