Fixing the Finale 169 members · 184 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

Has anyone ever felt disgruntled and confused by certain things concerning "Daring Doubt"? Especially that of Ahuizotl's reformation and what he explained after touching the Truth Talisman?

Did you ever get the feeling that what happened at the end of the episode concerning Ahuizotl didn't make sense at all?

Well, look no further, because this story's the one that can clear yourself of the confusion.

EA Moment of Truth
At the end of "Daring Doubt", Ahuizotl revealed after touching the Truth Talisman that he was a Jungle Guardian who was tasked with protecting the artifacts of the River Basin. However, was that really the truth he was spilling? Or somehow...a lie?
A Man Undercover · 5.4k words  ·  81  35 · 2k views

You aren't the only one. I'm also confused because, if Ahuizotl really is a jungle guardian, why did he attempt to unleash 700 years of sweltering heat in "Daring Don't?"

800 years, to be precise.

And yeah, that’s what I’ve been wondering. It hardly makes any sense.

Although, we only saw him two times in the entire show. Maybe something happened between the two episodes he was in

To change the subject, were you able to give my story a Like? And would you be interested in offering it a comment?

Personally, I assumed that artificially raised weather was necessary to keep the jungle the way it is.

One thing I recall raised a lot of eyebrows about "Daring Don't" was the fact that Daring is established as living in the northern end of Equestria -- the travel map montage shows the main characters heading north and west from Ponyville to reach her house. This route overlays quite neatly on the official map, and shows her living roughly between Ponyville, the Crystal Empire and Luna Bay. This wouldn't normally be an issue, but the same episode all established that there's a tropical jungle full of palm trees, vines and ancient ruins a couple minutes' stroll from her house.

Now, even without overlaying real-world geography and ecology onto the show, it's generally taken that if you have two points on the same hemisphere, one of them temperate with warm summer and snow-filled winters and the other out-and-out arctic, then if you pick a spot between them what you're not going to get is equatorial heat. Going from a pine-and-deciduous temperate forest to an actual jungle with no real transition is also a bit dodgy, so what gives?

Now, very conveniently for us it also happens that it's canonically established that magically controlled and altered weather is indeed a thing in Equestria -- enough of a thing that places where natural events aren't micromanaged daily are seen as alien and frightening. This, plus a magical means to drastically raise heat over a wide area, plus a guardian entity interested in doing so, neatly explains that particular issue.

I highly doubt that this was done intentionally, mind you, but there it is.

Could Ahuizotl's backstory reveal have been explained better? Certainly, yes. Personally, however, I'm not too inclined to lose sleep over it because a) he's not that important a character in the grand scheme of things, b) as you said, we've seen him twice and had no particular insight in his motivations in either occasion, and c) if a plot hole and some dodgy writing collide to by and large fix each other's issues, I'm certainly not going to complain.

So, in this case, you’re either okay with the gigantic retconning and plot hole done with Ahuizotl or the opposite?

You like asking leading questions, don't you?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11