Pony Pastiche 33 members · 95 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5
Mitch H
Group Admin

So, yeah, I've been thinking about this for a while. I've encountered two different writers who have done absolutely stellar 'style crossover' or 'pastiche' stories which they didn't want to get pitchforked into the Crossover ghetto. And I can kind of see their point - these aren't strictly speaking, crossovers. They are a deliberate introduction of storytelling elements - character types, setting conceits, conflicts and relationships - into ponyland. So, you're not going to get Inspector Zenigata running around Equestria chasing Lupin III from caper to caper. But you will get an obsessed Shining Armor bent on capturing his rogue sister before she further blights the family's good name with yet another spectacular act of stylish thievery.

Just to pull an example off the top of my head. Ahem.

So, what other gems of homage and pastiche are there out there, lurking in FiMFiction's back numbers?

So, what other gems of homage and pastiche are there out there, lurking in FiMFiction's back numbers?

Because Daring Do is my favorite character, I'm going to list homages and pastiches in MLP fanfics that star her.

Daring Do herself is a homage to Indiana Jones, so it's no surprise that most Daring Do fanfics are also "style crossovers" of Indiana Jones as well. The extent of the style crossover, however, varies from fic to fic, and some fics hearken to more than just Indiana Jones.

I'd list one more example, but that would depend on this group's rules about self-promotion.

Mitch H
Group Admin

Self-promotion is welcome - within the subject matter of the group, of course.

If you say so! :twilightsmile:

TSpectrum of Lightning
Dive into the secret past of Twilight Velvet—mother of the Princess of Friendship—as she embarks on her first guns-blazing adventure with the Whip-Cracking Crusader. Volume 1 of Daring Did: Tales of an Adventurer's Companion
Seriff Pilcrow · 119k words  ·  270  3 · 5.3k views

This is the first volume of my fanfiction series, Daring Did: Tales of an Adventurer's Companion. Unlike other Daring Do fanfics, which lean towards Indiana Jones, Daring Did is a style crossover of Uncharted. The fanfic series emphasizes on engaging characters, lifelike dialogue, action-packed set pieces, and achieving an overall cinematic feel. Just like in Uncharted, the characters in Daring Did swear, make sarcastic (and sometimes suggestive) comments, and fight each other with guns. Even the overall writing style hearkens to Uncharted: instead of stilted, ostentatious purple prose, the writing opts for a concise, yet witty style to reflect the irreverent, gung-ho tone of the series.

Mitch H
Group Admin

Finally got my last OK for the set of pastiches I had in mind for exemplars. Welcome to MagnetBolt's Twilight the Third!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5