Flashfic 253 members · 77 stories
Comments ( 27 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 27
Loganberry
Group Admin

The subject line this month chosen by TCC56 reminds me of the fact that I've forgotten to do something. (I know, the shock.) Without marking the event, FF150 did in fact reach its 50th edition with the May contest this year! (April 2017 was the first, so Apr-Mar for four years [48 months] took us to March 2021, then another two to reach the 50th.) Anyway, we shall now mark the, er, 52nd edition of Flashfic 150. :yay:

Here are the full rules.

Remember, there is no prize, as such, for this contest -- but if you win, you will be able to choose the prompt for the next contest. You'll also get a mention on the group's front page. This is also something that's happened for more than four years, and I believe it's true that on only a minority of months have I made a complete and total hash of things. (No, I do not wish to be reminded that doing that 23 times would still easily constitute a minority.) Okay, on to the meat of the matter:

Prompt: "Anniversary" (selected by last month's winner, TCC56)
Rating: E or T
Word limit: 150
Closing date: Wednesday 21st July 2021, 11:59 pm UK time (world clock)

Please reply to this post with your entry. This makes it easier for me to keep track. Please do not leave feedback until after the closing date.

Entries are now open! Have fun! :twilightsmile:

Ah, so it's time to return to this sandbox again...

It was night in the filly's room. The cake had been eaten, ice cream smudged, games played. Ribbons and wrappings of new toys littered the room in the sudden gloom.

Diamond buried her muzzle in her plush pillow as her daddy pulled the covers over her.

"Daddy?"

Her tone was different from her typical self-assuredness... brittle and cautious. She didn't move.

"Yes, princess?"

"I miss Mommy."

He tucked the comforter extra tight around her withers.

"I do, too."

Together, they existed for a time. She curled up; he leaning against the bedframe.

Eventually, she shifted -- enough to show a wan smile.

"Thank you for the party, Daddy."

He smiled back. "Anything for my little princess."

She nuzzled the pillow again. "Good night, Daddy."

"Good night."

With that, he rose and made his way to the door.

"Daddy?"

"Yes, princess?"

"I love you."

"I love you too, Tiá. Sleep well."

Author's Note:
I am aware that the later seasons render the above non-canonical -- I am pretending not to care.

Anniversary… Well that’s fitting, seeing as it was Canada Day on the first and Independence Day is on the fourth. Gonna be a blast of a month to see what people come up with.

And thankfully, this month I am eligible for victory! Here’s my submission,

One Year

Dear Diary,

Today, it has been one day less than a year since I married the love of my life.

What can I say about him, other than how amazing he is, how he knows me like nopony else, and how far we’ve come together.

I hope he likes the gift I got him for tomorrow… It’s always touch and go on what he’ll like from day to day, on what he’ll wear, on how he’ll act, but he’s always so lively, so caring, so

Oh, I’m rambling now, aren’t I? Even when he’s not here, he keeps me talking. I love him so much for that.

The gift I got him was made by Rarity, a big red hat with purple stripes, a wide brim and some magic thread sewn in, provided by Starlight to make it extra special.

I can’t wait to see what he thinks.

Sincerely, Fluttershy

I've had this idea for a clever story on the backburner of my mind for a while now, but I'll never attempt on writing it as a full fledge story for a couple of reason.

I'm pretty much as foreign on the subject as Haddaway is.

A Stallion's Dilemma

All night, Sugar Belle has been keeping her distance from Big Mac. Sitting apart, hiding in a cloak, even using a personal chalkboard to converse with. Mac didn't want them to be like this. Not tonight.

"Please. Just tell me what's wrong, Sugar Belle."

"..."

Belle levitates some chalk to the chalkboard.

[I wanted to do something special for our anniversary tonight.]

Belle erases the board and continues.

[So I got a 'Youth Potion' to make myself younger.]

"So why are you still hiding?"

[Because it didn't work. Instead, it made me]

The chalk in Belle's aura starts rattling until she gives up finishing.

"I think I can gather the rest," Macintosh eases. "Sugar Belle, no matter how you look, you'll always be the mare I love."

"...really?"

Mac's ears perk up to her low voice. Belle pulls back her hood, revealing her new firmed face.

"Even when I'm a stallion?"

Tripped Up

July 18th.

Today marked one month since Flash had had to suspend his debit card, the date he considered the definitive point at which he knew Twilight had disappeared.

Today also just so happened to mark the two month anniversary since Sunset had broken up with Flash...

Flash was beginning to doubt the coincidentiality of it all. What else had happened this day? Flash knew he was forgetting something.

Spike seemed to sense Flash's discomfort, hopping up onto Flash's bed and laying beside Flash's legs and laptop. If only the dog would talk more...

Suddenly, Spike stood up, hacking. Flash rushed Spike downstairs --towards the backyard-- but encountered an unexpected resistance in the kitchen, stepping through a puddle of frosting, tripping. Flash survived the tumble, safely in the backyard. Spike hacked once more, then burped a plume of green flame, igniting a candle on flash's head. Today was Flash's birthday.

Neat group. Wish I had found it sooner.

A Flood of Emotion. And Bacteria.

The middle-aged mare burst through the front door, her childish tiara hanging askew.

The bartender smirked, quip at the lips. Mixing drinks was her job. Snark was her passion. “Dumped again–”

“Cut the crap,” shot back Ms. Tiara, plopping herself ungracefully upon a barstool. “I’m not in the mood. Pour a double scotch, and double it.”

A bottle levitated out of the well.

No, not the cheap stuff. Top shelf.” Diamond Tiara swiveled on her stool, looking out the front window. “Got any sandbags for the front door?”

“… Yeah?” The bartender swapped the bottle for a twelve year. “Why? Someone follow you?”

“Worse. The Crusaders are back for a reunion.” A sigh. “And they’re doing a re-run of one of their stupid old plans. 'Twenty years today!'”

“So?”

“It’s April Fourth. You don’t remember?”

“Remember wha–”

BANG.” Rushing water.

She snatched the bottle. “The Ponyville Graywater Spill.”

What Ho all!

Military Matters

A faded photo on a grand desk.

A group of boisterous ponies in black combat barding lofting a tattered regimental flag.

A prince mourns his old comrades in arms.

“ Its the anniversary of Egg Bar Pass isn’t it,” Cadence rolls her eyes and sighs.

“It was horrid, despite our victory, a massacre!” Shining Armor mumbled. “ I was a young subalturn, my first command, a small company to guard that pass.”

“I know dear, the 3rd Regiment of Hoof.”

“Trottinghams own!” Shining cried, slamming his hoof on to the desk. “Illud carduus es periculosus procerus!”

“Thistles dear?”

“We had no air cover, only lance and bolas our arms and then they came,……”

“...at dawn. You’ve said dear.”

“Thousands of Griffons! Cocks and hens! Wielding those great smelly……” Shining shuddered.

“…..fish, yes dear.” Cadence snickers.

“There’s nothing quite as terrifying as being slapped in the face with a wet kipper!”

Loganberry
Group Admin

Just under nine hours to go!

Loganberry
Group Admin

7526495 7526518 7526758 7529977 7534669 7535702

Time's up, everyone! Thank you to everyone who entered. A nice mixture of new, returning and regular entrants, too. JimmySlimmy, you're our 200th member! In keeping with the group ethos, you don't actually get anything for that, but have a yay anyway. :yay:

As ever, I'll spend a few days reading and re-reading and thinking, and I'm planning on announcing the winner on Monday (26th).

Feedback is now open! Remember, you don't have to have submitted a story to participate in this phase. :twilightsmile:

Yep, that’s definitely something that’d turn a pony to liquor.

Loganberry
Group Admin

7526495 7526518 7526758 7529977 7534669 7535702

Results time! And it was (as it always seems to be) a tricky decision for me this month. It's fair to say that I had to think pretty hard about which fic appealed to me the most, and all of them did something for me. So :yay: to all of you for that!

But the winner is JimmySlimmy. A debut victory, at that! Well done! :twilightsmile: I read your entry and was immediately convinced by this older Diamond, rather more damaged than we saw at the end of "Crusaders of the Lost Mark". This is a character I'd be happy to read more of, and the same goes for the barmare.

Though it didn't have a bearing on the judging, I also note that JimmySlimmy has written a fic called Cutie Mark Crusaders: Accidental Harbingers of the Apocalypse. That sounds horribly convincing, too.

Anyway, what happens now? Well, as the winner you get to pick the August prompt. By all means take a day or two to think about it (though you don't have to if you have one ready) and then post it right here.

>enters group
>wins immediately
>refuses to elaborate

Nah but seriously, a "well played" and thanks to all involved! I appreciate your appreciation, and I will definitely be participating in the future.

Unfortunately, that fic of mine you spotted has no older CMC or Tiara in it, but I think it's a fun romp nonetheless, and I am in the middle of writing a DT and SS focused fic as we speak, so, hey, stay tuned!

As for prompt, how 'bout "Temples." Should be a fun thing for both literal and figurative exploration.

…I want to make a Shirley Temple reference with that prompt, but I think that’s hedging on a crossover.

Loganberry
Group Admin

Sounds fine to me! Prompt accepted. :twilightsmile:

Well, if you can find a way to write it in without a crossover... :raritywink:

Nobody gave feedback? To me, that's the draw of these things. Okay...

Without the A/N, I wouldn't have understood this at all, and I'm not sure that's a good thing. I like the characterization, and I was all primed for something untimely having happened to Spoiled (or Diamond having killed her). Nice mood for a "mommy's dead" fic, though I usually look for flash fiction to draw a conclusion instead of just presenting a scene. YMMV. Tough call, but I think this was probably my favorite of the batch.

Cute, but once the description of the gift starts, it's pretty obvious who the giver and recipient will be. I don't think holding that as a reveal accomplished much, and by admitting it up front, you could have done some character growth. The bit of different approach as a diary fic lends a nice touch.

I like the joke in this, as it's the most complete story I've seen so far. Though I do wonder how a youth potion can be confused with a gender change potion. She got the wrong one? It's a possible side effect? It was brewed by someone incompetent? That's kind of swept under the rug, and I think some more plausible reason would have made it come together better, but the delivery of Sugar Belle writing on a chalkboard more immediately suggests she can't talk, so that was a nice bit of misdirection.

I'm not sure understand this one. "Bad things keep happening to Flash," yeah, but I don't know if this was meant to be serious (in which case it's kind of over the top for that) or funny (in which case, all of the coincidental events should have been played for more overt humor to keep it all consistent). So it's hard for me to comment on, since I don't know what the intent was.

I'm afraid I don't understand this one either. I like the characterization, but Diamond's attitude suggests a long-suffering relationship with the CMCs, while only one prior incident is cited to provide context. And then the whole joke is based in the reader knowing what a "graywater spill" is, which I don't, so... this just went over my head.

There's a nice switcheroo between what seems to be a serious battle which turns out not to be, but that's kind of broadcast by Cadence's reaction. That doesn't completely disarm it, since even if it's serious, she might have grown tired of hearing about it. Aside from the ridiculousness of being hit by a fish, I have a feeling that I'm missing a joke here as well, particularly because of the specific use of "kipper." I know what it means, but it's a particular enough word that it smacks of you making a reference to something I'm unfamiliar with, so I may be missing something.

I was channeling a little of my inner Talbot Rothwell and would greatly recommend going and watching Carry on up the Khyber.

Though I do wonder how a youth potion can be confused with a gender change potion. She got the wrong one? It's a possible side effect? It was brewed by someone incompetent?

It's My Little Pony, it wouldn't be an episode if there wasn't some magical hijinks involved. :derpytongue2:

but the delivery of Sugar Belle writing on a chalkboard more immediately suggests she can't talk, so that was a nice bit of misdirection.

I already was planning to end it on the reveal, but there wasn't a clear way for me to tell a story without a back-n-forth between Mac and Belle to set it up, and the thought that her voice would get deeper only hit me shortly after I decided to cloak her.

But I was trying to make a little misdirecting in this. With a 'youth potion' involved, a mistake at play, and a cloaked pony as our subject, I was hoping to imply that the 'youth potion' made her age into her golden years. I doubt anyone would've speculated that she turned into a guy, but I think this would've been a better skit if it were voiced for that '...really?' part.

I have no defense for mine, it is pretty obvious who they are. There are honestly a lot of things that could’ve been better with it, but I’m glad you liked the spin of a diary entry.:pinkiehappy:

"Graywater" is wastewater, i.e. a flood of bacteria. As for not enough context ... idunno boss, it's 150 words, y'know? Some things are going to be left in the realm of implication, rather than explicit statements. It is what it is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Such is the challenge of writing flash fiction. You have to consider whether the story is too big for the format.

Loganberry
Group Admin

Plus in a contest (even a low-stakes one like this) you also have to consider the judge(s). Especially when there's only one, and when he's known for having strange ideas from time to time. :pinkiecrazy:

It should be observed that graywater does not include fecal waste (such I believe may be known as 'blackwater'?)... Plenty disgusting and unhealthy, however, as it is sourced from other drains such as sinks.

But of course. A graywater spill is merely very gross, whereas a blackwater spill is a public health emergency. The CMC knew how to skirt the very limits of mandatory prison sentences.

I had some IRL stuff pop up, so I wasn't able to finish and edit my story before the deadline. For posterity's sake, I figured I might as well post it anyway. It's not my best output in terms of this group, but if any of you are still here, I hope you'll get a kick out of it anyway.
:)

Six Ways to the Summer Sun

"Ah swear, the meaning of this day changes every few years," Applejack remarked.

"How so?" Twilight asked, though she already understood what her friend meant.

"Ah mean, first it was all about Princess Celestia savin' Equestria from eternal night. Then it was about Princess Luna and her return. And now…"

"…It's a celebration of everything both of them did for Equestria," Twilight finished.

"Exactly, Twi."

Rarity nodded. "Indeed. The Summer Sunset Celebration's been subject to a variety of interpretations over the years."

Suddenly, the sound of cheerful chuckling made five heads turned towards a sixth.

"What's so funny, Pinkie?" Rainbow asked, confused.

Pinkie steadied herself. "Not 'funny' really, just… Don't get me wrong, I know all of that's important, but… it isn't what's most important about the day to me."

"…Well, what does it mean to you, Pinkie?" Fluttershy asked.

Pinkie smiled earnestly. "It's the day we all became friends."

Pinkie erupted into giggles, the others joining on instinct as they reflected on her words.

"Yet," Twilight said, just as the moment threhtened to pass, "what means the most to me about today? Is that it's also the day we all stayed friends."

It could just be the lack of sleep typing here after reading, but -- while you may not hold it as your best work -- this is a killer premise perfectly suited to the format and your execution does it justice. Thank you for sharing, however belatedly.

Thanks! I was concerned that it was a bit too much of a "Talking Head Scene", so to speak, but either way, I'm very glad you enjoyed it!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 27