Flashfic 253 members · 77 stories
Comments ( 16 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 16
Loganberry
Group Admin

May is here! That means it's time for another exciting Flashfic 150 post. But since I don't have one of those to hand, you'll have to make do with a boring Flashfic 150 post instead. So, er, yeah. This is the thread. Note that we're back to the standard three week entry period now.

Here are the full rules.

Remember, there is no prize, as such, for this contest -- but if you win, you will be able to choose the prompt for the next contest. You'll also get a mention on the group's front page. You'll also get the chance to request a five-book deal with one of Europe's leading publishers! You won't get one, of course, but you can request it all you want. Anyway, enough silliness -- unless of course you want to include some in your submissions. Entries are now open! :twilightsmile:

Prompt: "Black & White" (selected by last month's winner, SweetAl Belle)
Rating: E or T
Word limit: 150
Closing date: Tuesday 21st May 2019, 11:59 pm UK time (world clock)

Please reply to this post with your entry. This makes it easier for me to keep track. Please do not leave feedback until after the closing date.

Entries are now open! Have fun!

Ah jeez, this prompt. I'm drawing nothing but a blank here.

The phrase makes me think of Pokemon at first, but then it makes me think of the original Game Boy; which is strange because when it comes to media that involve the phrase 'Black and White', you tend to think of old silent mo-........uh oh......I think I'm gonna push the limitations of what I can get away with for this month.

Animation by Hasbro.
Effect and editing by Amereep.
The last image though is also edited by ethaes.

And here is some music for your pleasure. You may need it.

*Projection Sound*

The Meek
By somepony

Cast

The Meek - - - - - Fluttershy
   The Bully - - - Garble

"Please, you must leave before the moon appears. I don't want to hurt you."

"Hurt us? The one that's going to get hurt is YOU, pony."

"Don't tell me that you're scared by her words."

"She's a pushov- why are you staring at us like that?"

*Squee!*

The End
Paid for by the ponies of The Meek Association

...this is ingenious and I love it. XD You should draw blanks more often. ^^

This is honestly brilliant, also far to cute to exist.

Probably thought too hard about the prompt. However, the idea of the Elements of Harmony being more than an ex machina seemed like a prime opportunity. Discord also seemed to be the perfect candidate to annoy Twilight with his outside-the-box explanation.

More Than Gems

The Elements of Harmony, most claim they're the purest form of lawful or "good magic." While they are not wrong per se, these dainty gems do more than spew magic. Much like a certain draconequus, they conflict with and perforate the dreary black and white of lawful society.

By captivation and resurrection of wonderment, they stoke the flames of whimsical merriment. Much like the rainboom, they splatter color upon the animatic. Champions of abnormality, they bolster probably with each impossibility achieved.

Inticed, we bloom beyond the obscuring shades of life. Grayscale yields to chroma, mundane to chaos as the world redefines itself. My point is the Elements of Harmony are more chaotic than previously speculated.

Sincerely Discord

Disgruntled at his atrocious accusation Twilight crumbled the letter. While taking aim at the wastebasket, Discord's words sloshed through her mind. As segments gained clarity, she unfurled the letter despite the mental jab.

A bit of (far) left field silliness...
You may need to know that your average commercial dairy cow is known as a Black and White due to their colouring.

Charolais Guevaras Revenge

----------------------------------***-------------------------------------

Celestia momentarily stops eating to study the scroll that has appeared in the middle of her breakfast, one eyebrow lifts slightly.

“Important news, my sister?” Luna inquires.

“Oh, it’s from Twilight, apparently the cows are revolting.”

“A sentiment I can share.” Luna lofts her coffee cup to display its dark, lactose free contents.

“No, no. There is a cattle insurrection going on in some parts of Equestria. It would seem that the B.L.A have captured Ponyville and are laying siege to the Castle of Friendship.”

Luna’s face scrunches up in a frown. “The who, now?”

“The Bovine Liberation Army, their leader has taken up residence in the town hall according to the letter.”

“And that would be?”

"A charismatic young heifer called Moo Ze Dung.”

“Are we going to do something?”

Celestia glances down at her cooling pancakes. “After breakfast. I’m sure Twilight and her friends will manage for now."

Zebras

“So, Zecora, why exactly are you black and white?”

“Well it is nowhere wrote, there is a story behind the color of my coat.” Zecora smiles at the three fillies, “It was long ago, in the harsh plain. Our ancrstored were covered in slave master’s chain. We eventually got out, so free. But we needed an enchantment to live in true glee. Our shaman mother’s sang. They spoke of beings named Yin and Yang. They enchanted our coats to be the same, black and white. With it, we could shove off any plight!”

“That’s quite the story, Miss Zecora.”

“Oh, do not worry, it was just a jest. So please, don’t lose any rest. It’s just how we are, even if it seems quite bizarre. Now get along, all you foal. She looks out the window as the Crusaders leave, “And forget my people’s toll.”

Loganberry
Group Admin

Less than 24 hours to go now! If anyone else plans on posting an entry, you know what to do. :twilightsmile:

I was thinking about Zecora's family reunion, with her aunt and oddball cousin who only speaks in haiku, but haven't actually thought of any plot to go with it, which is kinda a problem.

--Sweetie Belle

Loganberry
Group Admin

6844069 6849180 6850025 6850121

Time's up! Back down to four entries this month, which is a bit of a disappointment. On the plus side, a warm welcome to Unknown Ficwriter. :twilightsmile:

As usual, I'll now take a couple of days to think about my choice. The feedback period is now open!

Very cute, a short but sweet example of show don't tell.

A rather comical piece that could either be used to show her faith in Twilight or simply for a laugh.

A clever way to have Zecora talk about her people's troubled past yet spin it in a way as to not trouble nor darken the CMC's child-like mentality.

In the words of the Terminator: I’ll be back. This just wasn’t as good of a month for me.

Loganberry
Group Admin

6844069 6849180 6850025 6850121

Results post! Thank you to those who entered for a nicely varied collection of fics. I'm going for Somerset Cider's entry. I'm sure most people know by now what a sucker I am for bad ungulate puns (pungulates?) and that decided it. Congratulations to you! :twilightsmile:

I allowed Amereep's entry this month, and I certainly won't retrospectively disqualify it. It's clever and deserves its moment in the sun. However, I think it's probably just that little bit too close to script format (disallowed by Rule 1) and so I will disqualify any future entries that use that format.

So, Somerset Cider: please come up with a prompt for the June contest, then post it here in the next couple of days.

Feedback is still open for anyone who'd like to give it -- remember, you don't have to have entered the contest to do this.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
That's certainly unexpected, well my considered offering for next month's prompt is.............
Ow! Where did that come from?

Ohhh ok this one I think I can work with.

Loganberry
Group Admin

Okay, that's fine. :twilightsmile: Yell at me if I don't get the thread up on 1st June!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 16