Bronies 295 members · 2,134 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7
NotSoWickedWitch
Group Contributor

Hey, guys. It's your neighborhood 'NotSoWickedWitch'. Only for 19.99 at Target.

‘Who Dat?’ will be a monthly event where we really dig in into a selected character from the Friendship is Magic franchise. Exceptions to this statement will include days where a character is celebrated, such as Friendship Day being dubbed Twilight Sparkle day. If a day like this comes in a month where we've already done a character, then there is a slight chance that we, well I, will do this character anyway.

She's definetly come a long way since her debut, and is quite possible the most attractive strip of bacon I've yet to see. My name is NotSoWickedWitch, and today, we'll be discussing the one, the only, Sunset Shimmer.

Legit. How do people hate this chic? She's freaking h-

History

Sunset Shimmer was born in the Badlands.

Ah, nah, I wish.

Sunset Shimmer originated from Equestria, raised in Canterlot by her currently unknown parents. (Mr and Mrs. Shimmer?) She was the student of Celestia herself, right before Twilight of course, and well. Let's just say she wasn't as nice and forgiving as she is currently.

Don't worry Shimmy, we still love ya'.

In the official IDW comics, it's been shown that Twilight was only big a filly, specifically before the time of Cutie Mark Chronicles, around the time of Sunset's departure. So, from what I can tell, that would mean Twilight took her test right afterSunset left. So, if Twilight's around 10-12, we can safely say that around that time, Sunset was either a young adult, or a teenager. I'd go with the latter.

From this, we can also think about Twilight a bit. After all, maybe Celestia hired Twilight because she saw the same potential in her she initially saw in Shimmer? Or maybe she just wanted to filly in that tiny little space in heart?

Moving on, we can also say Sunset Shimmer never knew Sunburst, especially if Starlight and Twilight are around the same age group. Sunburst, Starlight and Twilight must've all been around the same age for well, clear reasons. This also proves that Sunset might not actually be high school age in EQG. Since like the Dazzlings, she may have just been put into a teenage girl’s body. This also explains her obvious wiseness and maturity in most situations.

Most.

Besides this, Sunset’s history is unfortunately, very scarce. Hopefully, we’ll learn more about it in the future, but for now, let's move on to appearance. Let’s also try and not talk about how much Sunset looks like hottest piece of bacon you've ever seen.

Appearance

Bow down to her cuteness!

Sunset Shimmer probably changes into more outfits than Rarity, oddly enough. This might be because she grows faster than the girls, or that she thought a new look may help with her new personality (Similar to Harley Quinn, when you think about it). Yet to make things simple, let's just focus on her main one, the outfit from the first and second movie, and her permanent physical features.

Sunset Shimmer has light amber skin and moderate cyan irises. Her hair is a vivid crimson with brilliant yellow stripes, and when she actually uses magic, her aura is light brilliant opal. (Take notes fanfiction writers :raritywink:).

Her former outfit is pair of black boots with lavender flames, and separate-heels (they don't completely connect to the shoes). She wears a black jacket with probably fake jewels on the collar, alongside a lavender t-shirt with her cutie mark on it. Her skirt consist of that same lavender, brilliant yellow, and well, orange. . .

God, Sunset. Really sticking with those colors.

Personality

Sunset is a freaking beast!

She'll go up to you, break your new IPhone 7, and won't even give two shits she did so!

Well, not anymore she won't.

For our personality unit, I look at the Myers-Brigg personality quiz to really give my version of an accurate result.

Introvert or Extrovert? Definetly the former. As Sunset doesn't really like connecting with people outside of her comfort zone, and definetly isn't a Pinkie Pie or Rainbow Dash (extroverts) whom would jump at the chance for attention or a gathering with a gigantic group of people.

Sensing or Intuition? The former once again. Sunset will think of things more literally, trying to take pieces of information and placing them together instead of looking at the big picture. In fact, most of the main cast have the personality. Probably Pinkie or maybe even Spike as the only exception.

Thinking or Feeling? Definetly a feeler. Sunset will try and do what's best for everyone, especially her friends. Also, forgiveness? Does that not scream Sunny?

And finally, Judging and Perceiving? No questions about it, the former.

In total, you can correctly identify Sunset as an ISFJ personality type, or a protector. Which really fits her, don't ya think?

Besides from that, Sunset is definetly the outcast of her group, well was since Twilight has none joined. But yeah, before, Sunset had never really fit in with the rest of the girls. And still really doesn't. Heck, Twilight and Sunset have only just met and there wat more closer than Sunny and the HM5 ever where!

Now, of course the demon thing helps. So unless the rest of the HM5 turn into raging she-demons, they really don't have all that much to connect. No offense Twi or Sunset.

Heh. :twilightblush:

Anyway, Sunset is probably never gonna connect with the rest of the cast like that. In fact, Twilight may be the only person Sunset ever meets who will connect to her like that. And that's because Sunset is an outsider, a loner at most times. And while she definetly will protect anybody she cares about, she might not really connect with them like she did Twi.

*Twilight and Sunset have a real connection.

HELP HER!

Sunset can still tend to be pretty, well crazy at times. But that's right she can really fit into the cast. Since everyone in this show is. :raritywink:

I need an adult!
I am an adult!

Final Words

Sunset Shimmer is definetly one of the best reformed villains Friendship is Magic currently has. From her growing storyline, to her inspiring determination to really get over past, she's really a role model for all of us that everyone can mistakes, and that all we really need to get over them is a little forgiveness and friendship.

And possibly some Taco Bell.

This is NotSoWicked, and I'm out.

*Also, yeah, check out TheAlbinoCorn's fic, or else you'll be missing out. :raritywink:

Actually, I've never really thought about it before, but it would make sense if Sunset knew Cadence from back in the day. Huh.

NotSoWickedWitch
Group Contributor

Yeah. It definetly is weird though. Did Cadence just get the chance to skip Princess-training or something? :rainbowhuh:

If I had to guess, Cadence was the heir to the Crystal Empire, so was already considered to be a princess due to that before getting the horn to go with it...

--arcum42

Actually, yeah. Kinda. Her backstory, which can be considered canon in the sense that it is not yet contradicted by the show, basically has her pull it off on her own.

Long story short, she was a pegasus foundling raised by earth ponies, and at one point she defeated a witch who was causing trouble. This was such an awesome feat that she spontaneously turned into an alicorn, and Celestia straight up adopted her.

I think the implication is that particularly talented ponies sometimes turn into alicorns simply by proving themselves worthy somehow. It's just insanely rare. Twilight was, apparently, the result of Celestia's long-term plan to cause an ascension on purpose, or at least helping destiny along. It's very possible that Sunset was also a candidate, but didn't have the right temperament at the time.

A pet theory of mine is that the alicorn is the "true" pony form, and that the three standard tribes are actually incomplete versions of that form. In other words, all ponies are born with the complete package, but can only access a third of it, and when they ascend they simply unlock features that were already there.

LyraAlluse
Group Admin

5534311 This is awesome! I can't wait to see the posts about the other characters. XD

As Sunset Shimmer is among the highest of best pones, in my personal opinion, I took the time to read this.
Found a lot of interesting stuff t'know about her! She's super cu-cool. I was going to say cool.
That, and I was wondering what Who Dat? meant on the main page.

Secretly also because I saw who it was posted by, and I wanted to lurk on the main page for a tid

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7