Them's Fightin' Herds 338 members · 45 stories
Comments ( 20 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 20
hawthornbunny
Group Admin

A sad announcement from Mane6: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/574980/view/3882727783056476087

After the Season 1 Pass is complete, we will be ceasing active development on TFH. We will still be able to release small patches to address game-breaking bugs, but no new content will be produced. Unfortunately, that includes Story Mode.

While not the news anyone wanted to hear, I can certainly understand the decision. Mane6 have been working on TFH for close to a decade, and that's a lot of time for one small team to devote to a single game. I think what they were able to achieve has been amazing!

Also the final character was announced which looks neat, but I'm waiting for the release trailer :)

Genuinely, how does one screw things up this badly with the advantages Mane 6 had? This feels so easily preventable. Well, at least the nature of the game means it could theoretically gather steam over time and give rise to new opportunities to continue.

Darn..

Again a small indie dev team shows why the gaming industry its in the state that it currently is. If they got stuck in developer hell they are the ones to blame for not organizing themselves properly. I do not agree that what they did was amazing. They innovated in what a fighting game can be about, sure, and the game IS fun to play and has interesting mechanics from a technical standpoint, but the story mode was one of the things that really made it stand out, and now its gone.

I bought this game to support the devs years ago, before 1.0. Even when I don't really like the competitive part of fighting games, just the story and having some stupid fun with friends, and now I'm mad with myself because I can't ask for a return after hours of playing it.

This is a scam, plain and simple. They can say they will review the rewards of the crowdfunding campaign, but truth is that every single one of the players that supported the campaign should get a refund. They got the money, they wasted it and once they got cushy financial support finally stabbed the playerbase in the back. I might not be able to ask for a refund myself, but a bad review and never playing this game again sounds like a pretty good start.

I've been kicking around the concept of writing a TFH fic for fucking ages and now all the community's goodwill and/or willingness to give a shit about the game is well and truly drowning in bad blood. Fade me.

Oh, man. Yeah, that IS bad news. On the upside, that gives you even more freedom to do TFH crossover stories your ways (and that goes for everybody here).

Are you going to continue your story? It's a really good one.

Yeah. It is a really good one. And has the potential to be even better now that you have even more freedom to just use your imagination.

This like "Telltale Games" all over again.

Yes.

I’m going to complete it, without the story mode…

Not sure how veritable or accurate this is, but someone in the Steam discussion named Volk (who claims he is/was friends with some of the devs) had this to say about the situation:

[In response to someone wondering what role Modus played in this turn of events]:

Sadly, that's pretty much the long and short of it. I even lived with some of the devs for a while, and this project was nothing but a struggle after the fan game died. Direction was severely lacking early on and by the time things finally got settled and moving, they were out of money.

When the struggle with funds began, focus shifted to that of generating some form of on-going income to pay the Devs to just survive (even with some of them refusing to take payment some months to keep the project going, and months they did get paid, they got contractually less than a survivable amount).

Once they were bought out [by Modus], they lost a lot of freedom with what they could do and the priorities were set by their owners. Keeping promises to those that already paid is sadly not a way to make money, so paid add-on characters became the focus. That and at its core, this is a fighting game, and they wanted to make sure at least that part of it was completed as much as it could be before the game ended development.

I can't express how upset the devs are that they are unable to send it off with the completeness it deserves.

Make of it what you will, I suppose.

If anyone would be willing to try and come up with a fan version for the rest of the story mode... I wouldn't be opposed. Might be cool reading about it if not playing it.

Pretty sad they couldn't finish chapter 2 in under a decade.

also, don't you mean *put's SunGlasses on* B***

So I bought TFH for the Switch for absolutely fucking nothing...? :twilightangry2:

I believe that was what happened, but still it doesn't excuse what the paid supporters have to deal with, which is a undercooked product and lacking the promised items and features. This may have been avoided if the correct steps were taken.

I bring you an example of this: Blasphemous.

Blasphemous devs were unable to work their vision for their game with the resources available once they got the initial backing. Plain and simple, not enough money and they were going to go under and fast. What did they do to fix hits? They got a executive producer onboard, a professional one. This person guided them on marketing, how to sell their product and their monetization strategy so they could keep the ship afloat and get back on track. Everything that was needed to do to make sure the company stayed in the black and the game was completed.

Even so, the game lacked things on launch, but the strategy worked and they kept afloat, so they eventually were able to put out DLCs that contained key story pieces and eventually managed to complete their ideal version of Blasphemous.

Their main failure point was not getting someone to put things in order to make sure the project itself stayed alive long enough to keep everyone well paid and the game completed with the promised goals.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:raritycry::raritycry::raritycry:

Edit: I was looking forward to more Story Mode content more than anything else for Them's Fightin' Herds, and to hear that it's just going to be forever incomplete?! Unless by some miracle we manage to get a recovery and more official story mode content or fans actually make their own new stuff for the game, then this feels like a kick in the gut...

I'm going to keep helping Them Fightin Herds as much as I can i been livestreaming alot now since the bug got fix I'm going to draw fan art maybe come up with story ideas even maybe comic book ect

I hope we can help Them Fightin Herds and who knows maybe a miracle can happen I mean look what happen to Fighting is magic and became Them Fightin Herds so anything can happen

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 20