The History 221 members · 161 stories
Comments ( 46 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 46
Yalwin Khales
Group Admin

Another year has come, and with it, a new era of drama.

But it seems that this is to be the year of popular writers leaving the site.

Just within the first 10 days of 2016, Reality Check and Scootareader have both decided to leave Fimfic.

I wonder who will leave next?

I'm sure going to miss Scootareader.

As for Reality Check, while he could be rather asinine, I have a feeling that he's onto something. FIMFic supports itself from ads, and thus lets the sites from which the ads come make money, but nobody on FIMFic really makes a dime save for the occasional commision. I believe that was one of his complaints, and he has a point, though that's partly because we're working with licensed material and can't make money from MLP fanfics like that unless we bought stock from Hasbro. Maybe we should just resort to commissions more often.

PLEASE DONT LET THE NEXT ONE BE PUSSPUSS!!!

Yalwin Khales
Group Admin

4971225 Why would anyone get into writing fanfiction for the money? That's just being greedy.

Fanfiction is a hobby, not a job.

What was it that just happened to Scootareader?

Yalwin Khales
Group Admin

4971230 Click the link to the blog and find out.

Well, in the words of the Joker, if you're good at something, never do it for free.

He decided that FIMFiction was taking up too much valuable family time, and I don't really blame him for that. In fact, I can identify with him in this regard.

Yalwin Khales
Group Admin

4971233 Anyone who expects to make any sort of money from fanfiction is a fool.

4971234 That, and very very, very very presumptuous.

4971225 I won't miss either of them. They were both bigoted pricks.

Scootareader was, I do believe, messing with you when he said that thing that time. He used to do that. He used to be one of the people who liked to mess with the heads of others back when it was more cool.

But RealityCheck really was kind of an ass at times, that's absolutely true.

4971519 Personally, I can't remember a time when Reality WASN'T making an ass of himself.

Some of his earlier blogs did have him asking why did the fanbase used to hate Cadence and Shining Armor, which I have to admit, that was a stupid phase the fanbase went through.

...And then, to mess with RealityCheck, as he always did, Scootareader posted this image.

It was really funny. :rainbowkiss:

It's all been archived on the Waybac machine online.

4971212 I volunteer to leave next! :pinkiehappy:

No! Please don't! We've already lost one FIMFic member who wasn't a total ass! I'm not losing another! :raritydespair:

4971565 Well, if I disappear, no need to worry about that last part. :derpytongue2:

No, not you too! :raritycry:

But on a more serious note, looking into the archives, it's really interesting what happened: RealityCheck started out as a rather morally Conservative but still fairly sane dude. But the more FIMFic's warped culture at the time ate at him as time passed, the crazier and crazier he got. Looking at it, it made me realize that if I didn't have the patience to sit out and wait until the culture changed and to also let myself mature as a person, I could have ended up like him: A bit of a fruitcake.

As much as I hate to say it, we might be looking at the beginning of the end for FimFiction.

4971598 I'm still sane despite seeing the crazy side of this website and rather calm here, I'm kind of doubtful of going through RealityCheck's path :derpytongue2:

4971698 Fimfiction won't end for as long as it makes money. Besides, knighty has plans...

4971565 :pinkiecrazy:

On a serious note, I was considering leaving entirely during my week break, but I'm here for now. If the site gets as bad as it was then, I'd probably leave again for however long.

Still, I understand part of the reason why he left was frustration at site mismanagement and cliques formed from elitist snobs, and I understand more than anybody how that is. Granted, part of the reason why he was the butt-end for that in particular was because he was kind of a fruitcake.

4971570 4971944 4974651 4971212

I am not so sure if I should be doing this but I just recently found RealityCheck commenting on a story. I'll link the story in case anyone's wondering, it's called Casualties. Admittedly, this is the first time I've seen this specific author in commenting action and I am just wow... are you serious?

5021732 He's back? That's unfortunate. Can't even stick to his own word. :trollestia:

Yalwin Khales
Group Admin

5021732 Thanks for letting me know, I'll update the history.

5021756 He's deleted all of his stories and blog posts and moved to a different website, but kept his main account alive... I'm not so sure about his word...

5021762 No problem oh and you might want to add what I typed to Ellen in case

Yalwin Khales
Group Admin

5021767 Eh, we're not really ones for small details like that, just big ones.

At least he kept half of his word and deleted all of his stories, so half yay? :derpyderp2:

5021770 Shrugs and I was just about to read his Nyx-related stories, I mean sure I can read it on the other website but goodness his comments... I can respect him as an author but as a person? I just don't have the heart in him to respect him even if he has reasoning to be like he is now :applejackunsure:

Won't deny that he has a bit of a point in one sense: Let's face it, FIMFiction doesn't have much in the way of male/male shipping, or even male/female shipping for that matter, because that's not what usually gets traffic. People write female/female shipping whether or not it makes sense to do so, because yuri is the most popular fetish around these parts, and that's what gets hits and upvotes.

The thing is though, I think we all know that more male/male and more male/female shipping isn't what's going to appease RealityCheck. I think we all know what his problem with the story actually is...

5021814 Honestly, I don't because I've never read his stories at all. Only heard his names a few times and yet ignored him for the most part, at least until I stumbled upon his comment in the fic I linked to you guys...

Really though? Not a lot of male/male (which admittedly to me sounds a bit gross but I'm not judging that at all) and male/female shippings? Huh, that's interesting...

I'm not judging you either, I think people can have any opinions on anything they want, so long as they have good manners about it. :twilightsmile:

I'm not really into male/male shipping either, and I don't think people should post that for it's own sake, true, I just think it's weird how rare it is on this website in comparison to the absolute reverse, female/female.

Anyway, RealityCheck basically doesn't like gay pairings at all, no matter what. Now I don't really mind people not liking the actual act of having homosexual intercourse or any kind of intercourse either, to be frank, that's their opinions to have, but the way RealityCheck expresses it...it's extremely rude, to put it mildly. I can tolerate most opinions, and even find something reasonable in many of them, but I really can't abide atrocious manners.

It's not how you think, it's how you act.

5021836 Yay for manners! :yay:

Yeah, now that you bring it up... it is kind of weird how rare it is to find male/male relationships let alone male/female relationships at all! :pinkiegasp:

Yalwin Khales
Group Admin

5021842 If you want male/female, just search for romance stories featuring Derpy.

5021932 With the exception of the rather obvious ships involving Derpy :derpytongue2:

Not that weird. The fact is that MLP has very few decent male characters. Discord is great and Spike is… well… he's Spike. But in either of those cases, you're getting into interspecies relationships, which some people like to avoid. And then there's Big Mac, who with the exception of the Brotherhooves Social episode, was more or less a running joke ("eeyup") in canon.

Apart from that, the only male characters in MLP are such background characters that writing for them is effectively like writing an OC.

That all having been said, there are quite a lot of decent Soarin x Rainbow Dash stories around. And although he's unpopular, there are some good Flash Sentry x Twilight Sparkle and Flash Sentry x Sunset Shimmer stories too. And let's not forget Spike x Rarity.

5021961 Eh, that's till small comparing to the numerous other ships such as AppleDash, FlutterDash, SunLight, and possibly more than I know...

Soaring Soarin
Group Admin

4971212 You can add fimfic is blacklisted by imgur

Yalwin Khales
Group Admin

5032468 Yep, but it would help to know exactly when this image problem started, so I can put a date on the board.

Soaring Soarin
Group Admin

5032497 yeah you might have to ask around a bit for that one

According to a comment I posted in another group, I first noticed the Imgur problem about 4 days and 7 hours ago, if that helps...

Yalwin Khales
Group Admin

5032535 Thanks for that, I appreciate it.

I've asked in the site post about the date too, so I should hopefully get an answer from someone there as well.

Yalwin Khales
Group Admin

Now another popular author has left Fimfic, this time it's Zamairiac.

Bump.

Bad_Seed_72's departure from Fimfiction has been heavily implied.

She has removed her comment feed, cancelled all of her stories in progress, stop following the people she's following and it's believed that she has left the Groups she was in prior to this.

Also, all of her personal blogs are deleted, as well as her Youtube AMA's.

Also, darf is...off the rails. Can't link story comments because it is NSFW, but look up the comments in his most recent story. If you need, I can PM you the link to his fic.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 46