The Most Dangerous Group - Contest 234 members · 58 stories
Comments ( 36 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 36
Obselescence
Group Admin

Rules:

-First rule here is that you must write a story based on one or more of the following prompts. List is subject to change, pending anyone making a really good suggestion for additions, but the gist of it is that your story must be based on at least one of the following:

-An OC Alicorn.
-A Human in Equestria.
-A Seventh Element of Harmony.
-Second Person Perspective.
-An OC and a major canon character (such as one of the Mane Six) fall in love with each other.

-Second rule is a few conditions placed on writing any of the above. There are a few tricks and cheats one can use to get by on the above prompts, so I'm going to close off as many loopholes as I can here, to make you stretch your thinkmuscle in producing a good story:

-No Previously Extant OCs. If you're using an OC for your prompt, it can't be something anybody'd recognize from elsewhere in the fandom. This means no Snowdrop, Nyx, Blackjack, TD, Lil Pip, etc.

-No Parodies/Crackfics. You know the kind. It's a little too easy to write a "passable" story about an OC Alicorn if the trick is that you're writing about Raven Metalclaw Darkscar and blatantly poking fun at all the tropes. This doesn't mean you can't write a comedy, or lampshade tropes a little, but the goal here is to show you can write these concepts well, not show how well you can satirize their general badness.

-No Clopfics. It's a little too easy to cash out on some of the above concepts by making them about juicy sexual happenings instead of the human or the alicorn or whatever, so that's a no-go here. Mature-rated entries are provisionally allowed, to allow people access to, say, gorier stuff if they need it. But nothing about sex or otherwise involving sex scenes.

-No Crossovers. Forgot to bring this one up earlier. I only hope you can accept my apologies. You'll need to find your own human. No going with Superman or Darth Vader or anyone to make the job easier. Crossovers in general are kind of niche appeal, and likely to be disproportionately favored/avoided depending on the readers' feelings toward the source material, so gonna have to dodge these. This does include Fallout: Equestria and Doctor Whooves. Sorry. Feel free to make references, but they can't be the focus of your story.

-Miscellaneous rules that you will want to read:

-When you've got your story good and ready, send me (Obselescence) a link to its Fimfiction page via PM and I'll log it as an entry. You can publish it or not, whichever you prefer, but it'll have to be publicly accessible somehow (for reasons outlined below), so don't password it.
-Contest starts today, June 6. Submissions end in three weeks: 11:59PM, Central Time, on Friday, June 27. If I don't have your story before then, it doesn't count.
-Word Count Minimum: 2,500 words. Word Count Maximum: 15,000 words.
-Submissions must be complete when they're submitted.
-Submissions must be written for this contest. Meaning no old fics.
-One entry allowed per contestant
-Have fun.

send me (Obselescence) a link to its Fimfiction page via PM

Going off what your blog said, shouldn't this say something along the lines of "post finished stories in the group folders"?

Obselescence
Group Admin

The entries still need to go through me, so I can keep track of them (and in the event you want to submit an entry you aren't immediately publishing). Just contact me and I'll add your story to the group.

Ah, I understand now. Thank you.

-No Previously Extant OCs. If you're using an OC for your prompt, it can't be something anybody'd recognize from elsewhere in the fandom. This means no Snowdrop, Nyx, Blackjack, TD, Lil Pip, etc.

HA! You may think you've outwitted me, Obselescence, but I've found a way around even this rule! :trollestia:

Obselescence
Group Admin

Deliberate circumventions of the spirit of the rules via loopholes I didn't catch might be grounds for disqualification, so think carefully before you try it. :P

It's probably better to check with me beforehand if you intend to do anything particularly weird or crazy.

3350536 I'll PM you explaining the specifics of what I mean.

How many stories is one allowed to submit?

Obselescence
Group Admin

One entry allowed per contestant. Make sure your one entry is your best.

Why 2500 words?

-Have fun.

WTH Obs, you know we can't have fun on the internet. Pone fanfic is srs business

Obselescence
Group Admin

Just 'cause, mostly. It's a general word minimum, to ensure that entries are of a somewhat decent length and not 1k word dash-offs.

I chose 2,500 'cause I stole it from EqD. :v

-Have fun.

Already having. Though I might have to find a way to remove the kitchen sink from my story :derpytongue2:

3350427 Heh heh heh. The seventh element can be Spike, right?

Obselescence
Group Admin

Sure. The Seventh Element can be anyone.

Can it be you, Obs?

Obselescence
Group Admin

I'm a ghost come back to haunt the earth as but a shell of my former self, so it'd be pretty tough.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

Probably should have thought to ask this sooner, but humans going to Equestria and being turned into ponies in the process is kosher, right? :B I mean you don't need a human in Equestria.

3351997 Yes. That's the whole reason the Elements have been working. Obs, the element of beardliness, has been influencing their every move and saving Equestria.

Obselescence
Group Admin

As long as it was originally human and it remains relevant that they used to be a human, it's cool.

I have a couple questions about the prompts:

- Does the romance require the characters to be together in the end, or is it acceptable for them to end apart, but still loving each other?

- My idea for a seventh element was to actully treat the six elements of harmony, when added together, as the element of Harmony, a single element with the power of the six "lesser" elements; and then make Harmony one of a set of three "higher" elements. Does something like this count?

Would it violate the "find your own human" rule if -- in a story that also includes all four of the other prompt points -- the humans were non-OC's from the Equestria Girls world?

Obselescence
Group Admin

-The romance can end apart. It just needs to, y'know, have the romance as a big chunk of the story otherwise.

-Uuuuh, I guess so. Presuming most of the focus would then be on the other two "higher" elements/the fact that Harmony is part of a set of three, rather than just focusing on the existing Elements of Harmony.

The "find your own human" rule is mostly to keep out crossovers. If you're following several other prompts as well, then you're definitely fine with using EqG humans.

Find your own Human?

Obselescence
Group Admin

It's a line in the "No Crossovers" sub-rule. Again, mostly there for the purpose of keeping out Crossovers.

Ah, okay. I see the line and the context and it is now clarified. Thank you.

~awesome~ :raritystarry:

Time to get typing!

With this I've cleared how I'm using four of the five prompts for my entry (the OC alicorn, the human, the OC/character romance, and the extra element).

The last one I won't even attempt to clear; I'm using some second person perspective, but in a way that intentionally subverts it, turning it into a kind of plot device inside a fic that is for the most part written in third person. Mostly for the fun in it, given that my fic should already qualify without issues with the other four prompts.

3350427 So is there a theme we should following? Or can we write any story we want, just as long as we have one of the subjects in the story? Why is it called "The Most Dangerous Group"?
I'm sorry but I'm a little bit confused. :twilightsheepish:

Obselescence
Group Admin

You can write any story you want, so long as the central premise is based around one of the prompts.

The group is called The Most Dangerous Group because I felt like it. :V

3363914 Thank you for the information :pinkiehappy:

3350427 So what about the way we're allowed to submit our story.
Can there be multiple chapters that level out into the target word count, or does it have to be a one shot story that gets into the target word count?

Obselescence
Group Admin

It can be multi-chapter. It just needs to be complete by the time you submit it as an entry, and of course fit within the word count min/max.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 36