The Admin's Group 204 members · 7 stories
Comments ( 17 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 17

There comes a point when a group has become a lost cause, what are some of the points that you guys would think a group has become a lose cause ( I have about 4 groups I'm thinking of handing off to a new admin or just deleting entirely)
So what's your guys' opinions on this

Insufficient data. Why are you thinking of deleting them? There are groups I've joined that I've later dropped out of because they went absolutely nowhere -- like being one of only eight members after it's been around for six months or so -- but if that's the case, maybe you just need to promote that group a little.

If that isn't the case, let us know what's going on and maybe someone can help you.

Oh if I stopped being a bum and worked on them I'm sure they could be active, but I'm mainly curious to know when you guys would give up on a group

Well, if nobody's getting anything out of them, it might be time to pull the plug.

DH7

A writing forum over at Fanfiction.net seems to be doing just fine. The admin has been awol for years, and there's only one moderator that's really active.

It really depends on what you expect to put in, and what you expect to get out of it. There's virtually no reason to end a group where all you do is show up and talk. However, if you're making all these contributions and spending mass quantities of your time trying to keep a forum on life-support, then I would highly suggest sorting out your priorities.

I was a mod on a Final Fantasy board for year, but after it dwindled down to nothing, I final woke up an realized that I was spending far too much time there for absolutely no reason.

I would probably look at things differently as a workaholic admin, but as a simple user, I find no reason to drop the barely-active groups that I've joined. I tend to look at all Fimfiction forums as a whole, and while there may not be as many new topics coming out of some, there's no incentive for leaving the groups.

As an admin, I'd probably worry about the functionality of the group, if it were an editing group, or something along those lines. With groups centering around a character or pairing, I would see forum and story moderation as a priority. I would ask myself if it's worth it to keep up with those tasks.

A group doesn't really hurt anyone by sitting there and being inactive, does it?

But really, this is supposed to be a positive experience. We're here on fimfiction to enjoy ourselves. That includes you. If something isn't providing that, then yus, consider dropping it or handing it off. There's rarely a shortage of people who want the Phenomenal Cosmic Power of being an admin.

Just... um... don't be a jerk and leave a group adminless, unless it's totally dead.

Um, yeah, I wouldn't actually delete any groups that have a lot of people, even if they are kinda dead, and always call for new admins if you don't wanna run it any more.

'Course, sometimes things like this happens. There's a group for Friendship is Witchcraft, FiW: Friendship is Witchcraft.

When it was started, the founder asked me to join and be an admin. I'm not really a major fan, but the series is kinda fun, and I figured at the very least I could correct his bad spelling and grammar everywhere. So I was sorta a secondary/backup admin.

Except that the main admin vanished. I called for more admins, and nopony showed up. So I made two members admins 'cause they were admins of the SweetieBot group, and talked to them 'bout it, then recruited another admin. It's still mostly deadish an' I'm still stuck running it, but it has 149 members, so I wouldn't really feel right deleting it.

Um, I think I had a point here somewhere. Don't remember. Oh well...

--Sweetie Belle

When you're that cute, who needs a point?

But I think it was that deleting big groups is bad. Which I agree with. :twilightsmile:

Yeah. Groups don't always need a lotta discussion, either. Nopony does anything any more besides put stories in it every so often, but I'm happy my Hug Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara! group exists.

--Sweetie Belle

Well, if nobody's getting anything out of them, it might be time to pull the plug.

I'm not entirely sure, if I would be in agreement with that. I think it would bog down to many factors, like size of the group and if the group is personal or not.

Now, here's the thing: I like my groups to be up, even if there's a chance that I lose interest in at least one of those, or I run out of time for administrating the group. And unless the groups that you want to get rid of are strictly personal, as in the likes of Stories Recommended by AxelsVirtue, I would just get myself a backup admin.

And even in case of personal groups, especially if they're set to promote stories, I would opt to leave them up. If for nothing else, then future story recommendations.

~Twi

When I said "nobody" I literally meant "nobody". As in a group with six people in it, and none of those six people are getting anything out of that group. If there's still some benefit to someone, then yeah, keep it around.

A group is never a lost cause. Keep it up, make it look nice and check on it every day. Ya, it's going to be slow, but a group only dies is you let it.

>.> Yeah that's true, if you're only spending time on that group. When you're having to take time out of successful groups in an attempt to make one that would normally be doomed to fail have a chance pf being successful then I personally would consider it a lost cause.
Pretty much in my case the group comparison looks like this.
I can spend most of my time trying to improve this group, but in the end the group would probably at most get 30 members and remain inactive simply because the group concept.
That also means I will have less time to work on this group which has become grandfathered in and the improvements I spend time making actually help people and will last. (Of course this is also because I only have a few hours daily to work on fun stuff, so I have to use time management)

Pretty much my question is when would you consider it not worth working on that first group instead of the second. (I would delete the group because I hate it when groups that are "dead" take up space on the group search area and I would consider it hypocritical to contribute to the space being taken up)

I would implement these questions. Once you do, you have your answer.

1. Is the reason for your group lively and fun?

2. Does your group help or give an environment to help other people in a target task?

3. Do you personally have any care for the group?

If yes to any of these questions, keep the group.

Meh I decided to get rid of them before I even made this post, I was just curious to see what you guys thought.
That and I've been to lazy to get rid of some of them

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 17