The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,288 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5
FamousLastWords
Group Admin

Check the story by blowngasket!

JOKERS WILD

SUMMARY

Royal Jester Perry O'te is asked to take a break from his job, much to his displeasure. He loves to be at the castle and treasures his time working and making people laugh, but that isn't really why he was forced to leave. What is the real reason Celestia asked him to vacation at the quiet town of Ponyville, and why does he wear that mask of his? What happens when trouble starts to brew in town, and the true reason for his stay is revealed. Will the Mane 6 continue to accept his company or are there some people no longer deserving of the magic of friendship?

This story is, without a doubt, extremely unique. Is that a good or a bad thing? Read my brief opinion below and find out!

PLOT

This is a plot I can really appreciate. The author took something that's not often done well (humanized with romance) and did something unique. Self-inserts? Heck no. Instead we get a lovable and quite fun jester character, sent to Ponyville. It'd be a disservice to go into too much detail, but suffice it to say there's a lot of fun and entertainment to be found amongst this story.

Mood: It's pretty lighthearted, relatively, but does contain some serious notes here and there.

Description: This story has a solid balance of description and dialogue, keeping things interesting while also getting us closer to the characters.

Flow: This story manages to avoid the traditional issue of moving too fast. The author definitely knows what they're doing. I mean, it's not perfect, but I definitely didn't find myself scratching my head figuring out what was happening. (That's right, I'm looking at you, Nightmare Star.)

GRAMMAR

You get a B+. I'm no expert on grammar, but you did a fine job. Occasionally, I would notice an awkward sentence or a strangely worded phrase or misplaced punctuation. But all in all, this was great. It definitely doesn't have any issues that break the readers immersion.

TIPS

This is normally something I save for stories that need work, but I'll give you a friendly piece of advice. I felt the stories description was tad lengthy, but that's just my preference. I prefer to read stories where the description just gets to the main point ASAP. But either way, it has nothing to do with your writing skill, which is quite evident.

FINAL THOUGHTS

This story isn't for everyone, given the human tag and whatnot, but it's definitely worth a check. It's fun, fresh, unique and a solid time overall. It definitely earned a green thumb from me. However, it didn't necessarily do anything to really leave a lasting impression, so I'm gonna have to leave it with a Recommended rating.

4891717 Definitely sounds like a good one. And I've never minded humanized, either, so bonus. ;) Great review!

4891717 Fun review! Loved the memes. :pinkiehappy:

FamousLastWords
Group Admin

4892319 My reviews are always meme-ariffic. :heart:

4892330 Thank you for the review. I honestly wasn't expecting to even get that kind of rating, figuring the humanized content and bizarre and different nature of the story. With so much craziness going on in my life this is really refreshing and I am grateful you took the time to read it. You have a great day and best of luck to your future endeavors.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5