MLP: Hard Analysis & Criticism 257 members · 72 stories
Comments ( 58 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 58
Humanity
Group Admin

Amazing what a bit of miscommunication can do. With Season 6 continuing at the end of the month, I've found the whole "Scootaloo writes a fanfiction" thing was from the trading card game. No, really. Seems the actual plot of the episode is Rainbow Dash meets someone at a Daring Do convention who hates the novel series as much as she loves it.

Anyone else here get the feeling this is going to be a Take That at former fans of the show who attend MLP conventions despite hating where the show has been going for the last 4 years? I myself am part of that demographic and have reserved my attendance tag for the Crystal Fair this September.

5337780 I still stand by what I said about this will suck as much or worse than Slice of Life.

Looks like I'm not the only one who has come to this conclusion. This being Brony episode number 2 is about the staff giving the finger to the people who don't like how the show has been going the last few years.

5337803 I wish I could say that that's impossible... and then I remind myself that writers have proved me wrong over and over again.

justanothername
Group Admin

The two controversies around Daring Do are 'Daring Do is real' and 'Twilight's mother is not the author'. They may mention those.

i can tell that the episode will be filled with "stop caring about the flaws and just enjoy it or get out"

Humanity
Group Admin

5338138 I'm not saying that won't happen, but they'd have to be mad or disturbingly arrogant to dare make a statement like that. The fandom is divided enough. Doing something like that could even prove tasteless to some of the show's supporters. After all, making the above statement would also apply to the Season 5 finale and Season 6 premier, both of which have received more scorn than most other entries in the series, even from longtime fans. Telling the fanbase to just roll with the show staffs' highest profile failures is asking for trouble.

well i ment like the "moral" in the episode not like a actual statement from hasbro.

if it were a statement then yea there would be backlash even from the die hard defenders of the show.

was just more or less predicting the moral of the epsiode and what i ment above it wouldnt be aimed at people who critize the show it would be " any criticism is bad and you should be against it even if its form another fellow fan" in a nutshell

Humanity
Group Admin

5338348 Whether it's a statement or the moral, it would be too immature of them to put it in. Critisism exists for a reason and critics even make a living off of it. And saying that all criticism is detrimental to everyone is bound to ruffle some feathers. If they know better, they won't do it.

Something that I would like to know is what the actual target audience thinks about the show now, if they see the difference between a Dragonshy and a Slice of life, or the last christmas episode.

When some of you DO blast the makers over this one, they WILL actually notice this time, right?

5337780 Whatever the episode is going to bad (Very possible thing) or good (Pretty much unlikely) I hate what has become of MLP nowadays. There are WAY too much callbacks to the internets and stuff like that. I mean, some days ago while I was working I had noticed a little girl wearing a MLP shirt with Pinkie Pie from the IDW series taking herself a selfie. And yes, it's a selfie, she even say that.
I miss the times in which FIM looked more like a different world rather than a version of hours filled with jokes or callbacks to stuff that we have here.

Ps. Ok, maybe is more on the IDW comics, but I doubt that something like this won't happen in the actual show.

You know, the most recent episode already had an anti-critic message rather dangerously close to that, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they really did pull something that tasteless.

Even more, remember when the show writers actually had the balls to satirize their own corporate producers with episodes like Suited for Success?

Anyone else here get the feeling this is going to be a Take That at former fans of the show who attend MLP conventions despite hating where the show has been going for the last 4 years? I myself am part of that demographic and have reserved my attendance tag for the Crystal Fair this September.

I'm really interested in seeing how it turns out. I'm hoping the writers really surprise us and don't include any such allegories at all, but instead provide a really fun, lighthearted episode.

Little girls watch mlp for the shipping and meme faces?

Hmm, apparently the critical pony's name is Quibble.

Well, it's not much, but at the very least I have to credit them for not naming the episode "The Trouble with Quibbles".

I really hope this episode doesn't do that 'critics are too critical and need to lighten up' thing. It's way too easy of a premise to mess up, by either being offensive to fans that don't agree with the current direction or even worse, playing into a dangerous mindset to suffocate any views that are negative by default. I don't say this often, but this has a chance to be the worst episode they've ever done period.

Humanity
Group Admin

5343687 Considering that Teen Titans GO! did the same thing once to disastrous effect, they'd have to be utter morons to follow that example. It never works, especially when there are legit reasons to criticize the show.

Except MLP has an army following who will be frothing at the mouth defending it, whatever happens.

My two cents: okay, so multiple times now upon reading the premise of an upcoming episode, I gave the showrunners the benefit of the doubt. When the alicorn baby was revealed, I thought it might be a joke simply because of how ridiculous it looked. The other time was the Trixie one where they apparently forgot that Trixie was redeemed already, and I thought they might somehow turn the episode on its head and make Twilight the judgemental bad guy. None of these things happened.

That said, I still want to give them the benefit of the doubt. I see two possibilities:

1. The episode is done in a mature way, pointing out that it's possible for two people to look at the same thing and see it differently. Someone will like the Daring Do books because reasons, and someone else will hate them because reasons. There's a small quibble (har har), but by the end they realise that it's okay to not like things. They agree that none of them is going to change the other's mind, agree not to be dicks about it, and go on about their business. I want this to happen. I don't think this will happen.

2. It's a "take that!" episode. The dissenter is shown as a total unredeemable dickweed who sees problems with tiny irrelevant details (eg. Daring Do's tail was an inch longer in a previous book, now it's shorter, therefore it's ruined forever). They're shown to be unreasonable, immature, and determined to hate no matter what. They might get ridiculed for this. By the end of the episode, someone will probably show them the magic of letting go of the hate and learning to enjoy the books, as if it was impossible to both understand and dislike them. I don't want this. It'll probably be this.

Please make it the first one. Not because I'm going to watch it (I won't), but I just don't want it to fuel the mouth breathers in the fandom who pretend (or worse, legitimately think) that there are no reasonable criticisms of the show.

I've only seen short clips of GO! but haven't they done multiple "take that"s against themselves, pointing out how completely true it is that the show is garbage compared to the original?

Humanity
Group Admin

5346452 It's quite an impressive paradox, really. It's awful, most people hate it, some of the people behind the show know it sucks, yet it's still going. Bewildering. Then again, Family Guy has no end in sight...

So they're basically saying our increasing dislike of the show is invalid. Well, that's dumb. :rainbowlaugh:

5346459 Honestly, what I know of the world today, that doesn't surprise me.

We live in an age, after all, where people funded a kickstarter for a new Tommy Wiseau movie. Tommy Wiseau being a filmstar/director who is known for making terrible god awful movies like "The Room." In fact a friend of mine who is into film has noticed this is a disturbing trend--directors who suck end up getting loved ironically, and when they figure this out they turn around and embrace it by claiming that they're comedians--and people love it!

Suffice to say, people these does ACTUALLY LOVE GARBAGE.

They don't want genuinely good, well written and intelligent stuff. They want stupid, braindead stuff. I mean granted, in the case of something like Birdemic I can see a sort of "the flaws make it unintentionally funny" sort of Killer Tomatoes logic there (though Killer Tomatoes really WAS an intentional comedy) but my problem comes with just how often people will turn around and try to pretend garbage is legitimately good. Like, for example, My Little Pony's more recent seasons. Or hell, even TT Go has its defenders.

Its what I've always said: If a person lives on grass long enough, his tastes will degenerate to the point where he will actually prefer grass over homecooked chicken or anything like that. This is exactly what has happened: People have allowed themselves to become addicted to the equivalent of grass. What we need is a complete re-education of the human race.

its really sad that one point in time people were against these practices of story writers actually attacking the show/movie/game every time there was a inconsistency they would spot it the second it came up and had a sense of consistency and people who didn't mind said inconsistencies actually accepted criticism and they kept things civil.

now these days people have been so deluded by the company's that they defend to their death the horrible practices of these company's and writers even if they do shady and sometimes despicable things for money only when the show ends is when they start haveing a hissy fit but since most shows run for fucking ever due to over positive fans bases which attack criticism on a hourly basis that would never happen because companys love to milk wallets.

what i dont understand is why and when people started to accept this as a normal thing?

its like in a AAA game that has microtransactions that pin you to a gambling economy which can make you have a gambling problem and people defend this shit when in the past they jumped on every company who did this shit.

my total question is why? why is it that people just...quit attacking this shit and just went "eh if you cant beat'em..."

its like in a AAA game that has microtransactions that pin you to a gambling economy which can make you have a gambling problem and people defend this shit when in the past they jumped on every company who did this shit.

Someone has been watching Jim Sterling I take it?

my total question is why? why is it that people just...quit attacking this shit and just went "eh if you cant beat'em..."

It's not so much that they "quit attacking" as it is that there have always been fanboys and conformists.

To be honest, the problem predates most of modern life and goes all the way back to the dawn of humanity. The first moment that people decided their group needed a structure, this kind of thing arose--suddenly the "leader" or whoever was always right. As society got more complicated then there became subdivisions--the Emperor was paramount, but he wasn't always right about things that were the Architect's purview, and likewise the Architect and the Emperor were not experts on what the Shipwright does, and so on and so forth.

And basically, societal structure taught people that if they weren't one of these heralded ones, then they needed to be followers. This is especially true in brutal cultures like Ancient China and Japan, where the peasants could find themselves suddenly being cut down if they didn't completely debase themselves before a powerful lord or soldier (and such people did, in fact, treat citizenry like dogs for their amusement).

This kind of thing has always been present in humanity. Before FIM, there was Pokemon. Before Pokemon, there was Transformers. Before cartoons, there were people who read issue after issue of any number of comic books. Before those, people read pulp magazines, watched television, or listened to radio programs. Before those.... you get the idea. And all these eras produced their enthusiastic fans and defenders (indeed, I was just reading the other day about how H.P. Lovecraft, before he became famous for giving people nightmares, became infamous among one magazine's readership for criticizing one of said magazine's most popular authors. Cracked mentioned that in an article recently, and some of the responses Lovecraft was getting were eerily similar to what Bronies say to critics today).

Simply put, there's too many humans on the planet, and not all of them can be free-thinking individuals. Some of them exist to be other people's pets.

I just don't get why you guys keep watching it.

5378147 I don't watch the show anymore, but I'm here on this website until one of two things happens:

1. Both of these stories are completed, or...
2. This one is completed, and this one finally gets a Rage Review.

Call me an obsessive freak who can't stop himself.

5378371 What's Filly Funtasia?

5379800 I thhink it's this, which looks horrifying:
http://www.equestriadaily.com/2015/10/filly-funtasia-is-happening-and-new.html

By the way, Stranger than Fan-fiction looks as bad as I feared it would be; dumb, over the top, ignorant straw-manning of any criticism no matter how constructive it may be. What a load of crap, I hope this show burns this season because this kind of garbage story telling is why FIM became what it is. In other words, a shallow, barely visible shadow of what it used to be. I miss Renzetti and Faust so much, I might re-watch S1 and S2 soon just to cleanse my palette.

You won, it is going to be one of those.

oh boy please make sure to park my new Lamborghini up front.

oh i assure you i dont waste my time looking at this convoluted mess called a show anymore its like a hoarders house trash filled to the point of the house breaking apart from the inside.

only reasons why im still sticking around is because of friends, this group and a envision of equestria that is much better than this rotten shit filled septic tank version.

that and really i cant really just forget the good stuff mlp has shown me and actually taught me once when i actively watched it before it kicked me in the balls multiple times now im just waiting for the fandom and show to collapse to the ground and laugh at the excuses the fandom will make when the show is shut down.

It's the 'car accident' effect for me

I want to be around when the fandom starts to collapse

im just waiting for the fandom and show to collapse

It's not going to happen, and you both know this. If someone still enjoys the show at this point, they're not going to stop. You know this.

"The fandom" won't en masse realise the show is bad overnight. You'll never be vindicated this way. It's not going to happen and you know this. Look at the Lion King fandom. The Trekkies. Hell, there are fans of G3 MLP. And G2, and G1. And none of these fandoms had the sheer power of the internet to organise and hold them together when they came about.

The FiM fandom will live on and people will contonie to enjoy the show. They will not stop.

You're sticking around because you get some sort of fulfilment from being "right." First you say the next episode is going to be bad, and then it turns out bad, and that makes you feel good and superior to the people who somehow fail to see that the episode was bad. Then you try to convince these people that the episode was bad, and when you can't, you walk away in the knowledge that you're just that much smarter than them.

This is toxic behaviour. You're only frustrating yourselves in the long run. Stop it. Just quit. Let it be over. Repeat to yourself: "it's just a show, I really should relax." Let people enjoy things, and move on with your life.

I get discussing the show, but if you only get angry, sad, frustrated after watching every new episode, just stop doing it. Stop waiting for it to magically turn better or for everyone else in the fandom to suddenly see things your way. None of these are going to happen. Never. Ever.

God.

/endrant

5380187 Just thought you might like to know that some of us like things about the show, just not the final results. Thanks for understanding.

Sometimes there are other reasons for certain unreasonable behaviours, and pointing out how much unreasonable they are may not be of any help. Just a thought

Comment posted by Nader deleted Jul 31st, 2016

5382139 Because using homophobic slurs is always such a good idea...

Comment posted by Nader deleted Jul 31st, 2016

You are a massive faggot.

No u.

if you can't stand people hating on a show

Anything you can hate, I can hate better. I can hate anything much more than you!

I was just wondering why you guys stick around hating on something if hating is all you do. To reiterate my questions in a more democratic manner...

Since you hate the show, you're just frustrating yourselves by thinking about it. And it's not like you can do anything to change the fandom or the show in any way, so why do that to yourself?

I'm sorry I exploded up there, I just thought some of these threads were getting ridiculous. You do you.

It's called venting, the group is filled with people largely dissatisfied with the show, people who once liked it. This group is a medium to vent that frustration out.

not to be that guy but pretty sure your version of venting is incorrect attacking people using derogatory insults will only make things worse for yourself just sayin.

I was just wondering why you guys stick around hating on something if hating is all you do. To reiterate my questions in a more democratic manner...
Since you hate the show, you're just frustrating yourselves by thinking about it. And it's not like you can do anything to change the fandom or the show in any way, so why do that to yourself?

because for me really its like a old best friend of yours that passed away that you cant stop thinking about the good times back then.

despite all you try to move on with your life the memories will still come to mind sooner or later,

ill agree and i know i cannot change the fandom and show in any way shape or form but i would love nothing more than to do that but i know that will never happen.

i am actually frustrating myself over this show with each step in the mud it takes is because really ever since cartoon network went to shit years ago i literally stopped actively watching anything show related nothing on tv peaked my interest anymore because in my opinion most cartoons were complete shit then i found mlp and that really made me come back to actually watching something than just gaming and youtubeing all the time.

really the only other thing i actively watched alongside mlp was markiplier that was it.

then when it decided to piss on me for watching it i was actually feeling down i am not joking even if you think that is overreacting over a simple show i literally was down in the dumps because i really liked it for a good month straight i was like this.

i wanted the show to be better i wanted to sit through thirty/twenty minutes and having a smile on my face rather than a annoyed/down look only sitting through half of the episode before just quitting out of the episode and i waited for it to maybe get better but it never came.

now that i really think about it after that i really became awfully negative towards any show or game because of this i keep on thinking seems fine now but when will it decide to shit on its avid watchers/gamers? and that may seem not optimistic or not giving it a chance but really i have been backstabbed once by avidly watching something and backstabbed multiple times playing something i dont want to keep going through that over and over.

I'm sorry I exploded up there, I just thought some of these threads were getting ridiculous.

its alright i tend to get annoyed at some things and to get a little too mad at things but if i may ask which threads are you talking about?

if its like the previous flame wars between humanity and ky or like the guy who tried attacking you just a couple hours ago? if that then yea i can see that as ridiculous.

if not i dont see what you are trying to point out because well other threads are just giving criticism to episodes and just talking about random stuff on here.

The biggest reason I have to stick around is that I love reviewing the show. I may not agree with a lot of the new directions the show's taken, but analyzing it, giving my own thoughts and opinions, and hearing the thoughts and opinions of others, is very special to me. I am able to be an active member of a thriving fandom!

That said, I do still have worries...this next one's going to be interesting for sure.

5382456 Bingo. And that really kills fanfic writing for me.

Now I'm curious. Please let me know if I got it right in 5346313.

Eh, it sorta wouldn't even be FiM without insane last minute resolutions.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 58