Brony Discussion Center 116 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 17 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 17
Spanner
Group Admin

Hasbro was sticking their noses into it too much.

Spanner
Group Admin

Damn. I have some people to assassinate.:pinkiecrazy:

Its a corporation there is no one to assassinate, corporations have a shared consciousness no matter how many people you kill it will continue to work as it did before.

2306599 Hasbro. That's the reason.

:ajbemused: Hasbro is always the reason...

2306680 Does that mean the show is going to start to fail and maybe stop?

2306599 She left because she wanted more creative control and/or didn't want what control she had stepped on.

All valid reasons for leaving. She didn't want to be a part of whatever Hasbro was doing. However, I have to wonder, she had to have seen this coming. I mean, she's no stranger to the industry and is an intelligent woman. I kinda wonder if she wasn't wary of taking the job in the first place.

Lots of Bronies hate Hasbro, I don't understand why. In an ideal world Faust would have been given complete control and all would have been right with the world. But this isn't a perfect world. MLP is still a toy commercial. Hasbro (despite what some might say) at the end of the day, don't care about bronies. When it comes to that earnings report, the topic of bronies likely doesn't crop up in the meeting board room. They'll make decisions based on what they think will sell more toys, this means what they dictate might clash with the established character arcs in the show.

If that happens, I'm prepared for it. I've been a brony for about a year and one month. Entering this fandom I knew what I was getting into. I can't be angry that Lauren left. Plus it helps I think the show is doing just fine without her.

Spanner
Group Admin

I can almost agree with everything you said except the influence bronies have on the company. We are customers just like anyone else and they know we exist and we buy a significant amount of their pony products. We have conventions, charities, independant merchandising companies, and more, that if not giving some contribution to Hasbro at least promote their company in the end.

Now considering basic economics of supply and demand, they know that if the show displeases us in a significant enough way, then the dent in our community will come straight out of the company.

They may not care about bronies, but bronies care about ponies.:twilightsmile:

2306917 all fair points, but I've never seen any concrete data on what bronies actually contribute to sales.

I think some executives at Hasbro acknowledge and maybe even appreciate us. I know the VP of Development at Hasbro Studios does. But I'm talking the hardcore execs here, the stereotypical old white dudes in their 60s or 70s. I'm just not convinced. For every brony that visits the pink isle, I'm guessing 10 or more girls do too, with their parent's disposable income. Hasbro might enjoy us, but they can afford to lose us.

Spanner
Group Admin

True. I can agree completely there.:twilightsmile:

If something is absolutely amazing, know that someone is being beaten into the ground because of it.

2307381 :rainbowhuh:

Well I just hope that the other producers and writers don't f#@* the show up. Like making all the characters backwards and the story more confusing than it is, not having the original song in it.

Just look at the Neverending Story sequels and see how well they turned out :ajbemused: the creators of that totally screwed it up, the original Neverending Story is so much better.

But you get the point.

Someone was probably beaten to the ground for that as well. :ajsleepy: What a world we live in, where art is shat upon and desecrated so that others might be capable of buying their own gated community.

One thing to keep in mind with artistic types (of which I am one in my opinion) is that we often do not like being told what to do by "the man" or anybody else not of our field (and sometimes even those in our field). In the mind of an artist we want maximum creativity and we do not want to be held back.

However sometimes being held back can be a good idea. Just because you can create something does not mean it is actually a good idea. For instance what if they decided to make an episode where Twilght is killed off with some creative symbolism? Well it might make for an interesting discussion but for the sake of the toys and the smaller tykes that may be watching this may be a bad idea for the show (granted Hasbro did this in Transformers and it did go over badly though that was not for creativity it was to make room for new toys).

She also was interested in this new toyline show idea that she was trying to get off the ground which may have factored into the discussion

Lastly I think she accomplished most of her big motives in making MLPFiM. She was able to make a girls show that appealed outside of its demographic with a large fanbase. While I am sure that there are small details she would have liked I wonder if she felt that she accomplished what she really wanted and that made it easy to leave for other projects where if she had not yet achieved her major goals it would be harder to leave.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 17