The Character Creation and Writing Academy 140 members · 112 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14
ObsidianPony
Group Admin

This is one of the things that people absolutely love poking holes in when it comes to OCs and so I think it's important to be sure that you understand it before writing a story.

As such, to get an idea where we all are at, describe your OCs power levels. No guidance from me or the admins, just do it the way you think sums up their power level and what they are capable of in your own words.

Average. The only thing special about incognito is that he is really tall

(I'm joking, that was obligatory.)

I'd say a bit over average.

Oathbound's ability to use magic as an earth pony is great and all, but he only has limited knowledge outside any sort of combat-related magic. Telekinesis and such he can do just fine, but try teleportation and you've got a problem on your hands(or hooves).
And besides that, he isn't exactly special without magic. He's determined and willing, but eh. Earth ponies might be strong, but most of the time the stuff he deals with require more than muscle.

It varies on his emotions and the situation around him. The closes thing that I can think of to describe his power level is when Naruto goes into nine-tail fox mode, that's if you watch anime.

ObsidianPony
Group Admin

Sounds fine for him, if he's just an average pony with some extra height to him then obviously there's not much to comment on.

:facehoof:

Sounds like in the regular show he would be OP but from the sounds of the type of stuff he encounters it balances out as far as I can tell.

Going to need a bit more detail because from that description it sounds rather overpowered. Also bear in mind that "triggered by emotion" powers have a high tendency to become Deus Ex Machinas and need careful writing.

Salmon Spring, by all standards a magical prodigy of young age, though she lacks the power to ever approach the things Twilight Sparkle does, and she hasn't the social acumen to manipulate others like Rarity does.

She can perform transmutation magic, which is the precise but basic manipulation of elementary compounds and atoms in order to transform one material into another, though seldom anything more complicated that a single type of molecule.

I.E. They can turn lead into gold in small quantities, among other things.

All this doesn't prevent her from being enslaved briefly, and after her escape, it leaves her physically and emotionally drained for weeks afterwards.

In other words, her power is exceptional, but the challenges she faces are still able to defeat her for a time.

2339372 Viridian Rain: Her power level is not particularly overt and, in fact, she's on the low end of horn magic capability. Her real power is the collection, consideration, and use of information and in this, she's comparable to a self-educated observational genius like a Sherlock Holmes. She can rapidly form correct conclusions from the data at hand and use this data to guide her actions so that she uses fairly little force but uses it in the best possible way at the best possible moment.

Silver Rose: Another of my "Three Sisters" character that's not overtly powerful. Her power lies in the fact that she's naturally calm, collected, and kindly which tends to lead to others following her lead and doing what she wants them to do out of a devotion to the sweet-natured mare who'd very much like them to do a little favor, if it's not too much trouble. The inherent sweetness and charisma of Fluttershy without the doormat personality.

Scarlet Knife: Unlike the other two, Scarlet's power is overt. Tall, solidly-built, and physically very fit, she's physically imposing even to ponies who're about as tall as she is and while her horn power is the lowest of the three sisters, she can hit like the spare-of-words earth pony farm stallion we all know and love.

Verde Tin: Much like her mother Viridian Rain, Verde's power lies chiefly in her intellect and being able to use her horn magic to great effect with great precision. In fact, precision is her special talent inasmuch as it's a subset of artificing.

Tettidora: Powerful by intellect in the way that Twilight Sparkle is, her greatest power is her mastery of her race's natural shapeshifting. She can make precise alterations to her shape without needing to shift into something completely different and can alter herself into creatures that don't exist outside of her imagination. Her power, in essence, is being able to be the perfect tool for any situation.

Chidinida: Gentle, warm, and intensely charismatic, Chidi's power is concentrated in her utter mastery of every possible aspect of the energy of love that her race consumes as part of their diet. She can manipulate it in others, causing them to experience whatever positive emotion she chooses. She can shape it with great economy to achieve effect identical to horn magic. And she can survive on trickles of it because every little bit it vastly more in her hooves than in another changeling's.

Lepinora: Yet another intellect-is-power character (are you sensing how much I like these yet?). A left-brain polymath, she enjoys a great ease with any art--including theater, writing, and visual art. A changeling who can act convincingly, imitate any style of writing, and create the little visual touches that sell a persona is a changeling who fits naturally and easily into the role of spying--and Lepinora is supremely good at spying herself and teaching other changelings this peculiar art.

Let's see......
Terra Novus: Typical for a shadow pony(If one pony brings up E03, I swear I will rant up a storm in reply. I have worked tirelessly for months to create an entire world hinging on this aspect long before S04 even premiered, and this character was created well before it with proof in the Ultimate Free-use OC Collection group under female unicorns.). Well versed in combat magic and arcane powers, but entirely incapable with typical unicorn magics, such as levitation and teleportation. The ability of shadow unicorns with magic, however powerful, comes at a price of leaving them very physically vulnerable, leaving their skills with protective magic and their agility as their only true defense. Since she is an arcanus pyre, she is strong during the day, but almost powerless at night. She is good with fire magick, and mediocre with lightning and ice magick. No skill in air or earthen magick, as those are delegated to shadow pegasi and shadow tera ponies, respectively. She has honed her specialty well, and as a mercenary meant to work with teams to handle outside threats not meant for either direct intervention from the princesses and deemed too dangerous for the mane 6, I believe she levels out quite well.

Storm Bringer: Similar to Terra, and in fact her leading officer. An assassin for the organization and a focused and able arcanus electrus. He has next-to-no ability with any magic not related to lightning, limiting him to mostly long range combat, a fact which has motioned him to hone his senses for the purpose of being useful with what he can do. This also severely limits his defense magic to one crack-spell that he refuses to use on account of the concentration and skill required. he is unaffected by the sun and moon, unlike arcanus pyre and arcanuse gelus. I feel he balances out.

Dead Lift: Half-normal, half-shadow pegasus. Appears normal, as far as coat and mane are concerned. Overly large wings and an ability to carry larger loads with him. He has no special talent to speak of, and no cutiemark. He works with postal delivery for packages that would normally require two or more pegasi to deliver. Thanks to his shadow heritage, he is unfortunately quite a slow flier, though it takes quite a lot to bring his speed in the air down. I believe he is balanced.

EDIT: Oh dear, I forgot the one I'm going to be posting a story about very soon! I need to be sure on him. He doesn't have a name, as he is a half-changeling, half-shadow-unicorn. Being a changeling, he can drain magic from other living things, though only through either leaching off of excess created via strong emotion, or through willing transfer from another creature. He can also hover and form to any physical look as far as coat and mane are concerned, has no cutiemark for his changeling blood, cannot change the color of his eyes, and is able of very rough, limited levitation, unlike other shadow unicorns. His changeling blood would normally allow him accurate scanning of the surrounding area for magic, including the ability to "size up his prey" and tell how any of what kind of creature there are based on magical frequency and such, but his shadow blood causes this ability to be quite rough as well, limiting it without help of a cleric-like normal unicorn to attune it.
His shadow abilities are weak and he has no arcanus ele, or specialty, meaning he is neither affected by sun or moon, and has no magick he is especially able with. Being changeling, however, does give him sub-par ability with air and earthen magick, compared to the natural weilders.
All of this ability is, of course, only after all of his life thus far(he is 43) training, focusing, and building his abilities, skills, and will, as well as his years of being used as an expendable with highly basic military training. Were it not for his intelligence, he could hardly be considered a threat of any form, but with it, he has managed to live through his time in the military, escaping by faking his death(kind of easy when you can change pretty much all of what you look like in an instant in a warzone), and soon found himself.... wait, no spoiling, sorry. You get the point, anyways. I hope he balances.

Should I fix any of this? I intend to use them all in at least one story to come.

I mean he's a rare bread of diamond dog, hell hound, and he's really protective of those that are close to him. Normally though, he tries to keep his magic in check, so him flipping a lid rarely happens. At the most he'll seem overpowered for one scene of the story towards the very end.

Average

Lofty Dreams is your run of the mill pegasus pony but with stronger wings from frequent flying and carrying.

Aura (unicorn filly about CMC aged): slightly more than most fillies her age (due to her conditioning and having Clover the Clever as a teacher).
Cirrus (pegasus colt slightly older than CMC): erratic - amazing cloud bucking skills and speed, when he really focuses, otherwise, less than average. More resistant to injury than most.
Valencia (earth pony mare, about Cup Cake aged): average for a work horse in every way.

The above three gain unique power enhancements when certain conditions are met...

Clover (my version of her): powerful for a unicorn mare, only outdone in power by Star Swirl.
Star Swirl (under the alias Levitatus): King of the unicorns, the most powerful one in existence.
Royal sisters (my versions of them): the only ones with more magical ability than Star Swirl, and only because they wield three elements each.
Antagonist (really trying to avoid spoilers): intimidating, but not overly threatening, until they absorb strength from another.

Mélanie: My HiE self-insert. Below average physical strength and speed, even by human standards. Have very good luck that make her less likely to get really bad injuries (based on the fact that I got out without a scratch from many accidents when I should have at least broke something). Have an above average mental strength, therefore making her very difficult to succumb to mind control. (Based on the fact that I never succumbed to peer pressure and that I have met a few hypnotists and so far, none of them managed to hypnotize me, even if I wanted to). Have a natural ability to read people's body language and voice intonations. (Based on my own natural ability to do these)

Smiley Bookpony: My ponysona and a Unicorn. Below average physical strength and speed, even by Unicorn standards. Have very good luck that make her less likely to get really bad injuries. Not very good with offensive spells and cannot lift anything bigger than a cat with her telepathy. Specialize in defensive and passive spells, but can cast them only on herself.

Heather Mist: A human turned Earth Pony and then send to Equestria. Average in pretty much everything by Earth ponies standards. Adapt easily, stay calm and level-headed in pretty much any situations.

Strawberry Dust: A Pegasus and an antagonist in one of my future stories. While she's not the fastest flyer, she's one of the most graceful. She's very cunning and sly. She's a very good con-artist. Quite good at seducing other ponies and tend to use anything, including dirty tricks and low blows, if she need to fight.

Well... the OC i'm about to write down is the villain of my story so I guess he has to be kind of
powerful, let me explain.

Jolly Rodger is the first pirate in Equestrian history, he was born on the same day that Nightmare
Moon was banished and he him self was not only trapped inside his own flag but also turned into
a skeleton. He is a unicorn so he can use the average amount of unicorn magic but his primary use
of magic is used to control water. There is a certain artifact called "The Trident" which increases his
water magic abilities so he uses it to turn his ship "The Dead Hydra" into a big mass of water tendrils
with the ship being in the middle, him at the wheel.

That's about it but I'm sure as I go on with the story it will increase a little bit.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14