Science! in Equestria 509 members · 542 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12

I'm not vaccinated, not many people in my family are. In the past three years, including among family members I know barely wear masks, not one case of Covid. It's starting to freak me out. There's luck and there's whatever the hell this is. Either a. Covid is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated (and I don't think our government's THAT competent) or b. Some sort of genetic immunity.

I'm no microbiologist, but I think you and your family were asymptomatic, that might be the case. You were infected by Covid, but you didn't show any symptoms.

7650402 Yes, you can be immune to it.

Why are you asking us? We are mlp fans not virologists, Google it for gods sake

or better, ask an actual virologist/doctor. google is not that reliable.

It is if you know how to verify a source

Being asymptomatic doesn't mean being immune. If you are infected, then you're not immune. If you're asymptomatic, you're just lucky that you don't show any symptoms (or the symptoms are so mild that you cannot tell them from ordinary fatique, cold, et cetera), but you can still spread the virus. If you are completely immune (or, in reality, almost completely), then you either cannot get infected at all or the virus cannot replicate in you. A very simplified explanation, but let's roll with it.

But yes, it's possible that you and some members of your family are imunne thanks to an interplay of genetics, epigenetics, and some external factors (including previous exposure to different coronaviruses). It's quite easy to imagine that you may carry a random mutation that doesn't affect you in your day to day life, but that causes the molecule the virus binds to when it needs to enter the cell to have a slightly different shape and/or properties. This causes that molecule to be pretty much invisible (or harder to grab) for the virus's receptors. There are far more mechanisms that may affect this, but I believe this is enough to illustrate. And yes, this is not entirely made up. People who carry a specific mutation in a receptor called CCR5 are resistant to certain strains of HIV.

Anyway, back to your case. As I have said, it's possible that some members of your family are resistant/immune, but luck is also a factor, and so is the fact that maybe some of your relatives (or even yourself) were infected, but were lucky enough to be asymptomatic.

Google Scholar (a search engine that allows you to search only through research papers, monographs, theses, et cetera) is a pretty sound source of information. Of course, that doesn't mean that everything you find there is true, so you still have to cross-check and be a little wary, especially if you're not an expert in the field, but it's one of the best ways of getting to current research. Still, if you're a layperson, shooting a message to a doctor or a researcher who is familiar with the topic will yield you with clear answers to your questions much faster.

Of course. They need certain things in their host in order to reproduce. All it takes is the wrong (for the virus) mutation and that host becomes a dead end. On the larger scale, that's why viruses are usually confined to small groups of closely related species. Of course most viruses have had centuries or more to adapt to genetic variances in their host species, so the range of what counts as the "wrong" mutation is pretty small. And even then, viruses are constantly mutating themselves--and at a far greater rate--so a genetic immunity may eventually be overcome.

That's a good point. Again, I'm no microbiologist.

I got Alpha COVID before anyone in the US even knew about the disease, back in early February 2020. It was honestly worse than any cold I've ever had, but when I got the flu back when I was 12, that was WAY worse than COVID.

COVID symptoms had me take a few days off work, but the flu had me bedridden for a week.

So, while I'm definitely sure that COVID is a real disease, it has also been massively blown out of proportion by the fearmongering authoritarians who run the media and government.

It is possible that you had it and were asymptomatic, like T-rex said. It's also possible that you are naturally immune. Both would be caused by your genetics.

The human immune system creates t-cells constantly, and there's a type of cell for any possible disease in existence, and not yet in existence. Perhaps you were just lucky enough that your body had already produced the right t-cells to fight COVID before it even existed.

Or maybe you've just been extremely lucky in avoiding exposure so far. Honestly, who could possibly know for sure?

IF one knows how to verify a source. Sadly, there are too many Facebook scientists that don't.

Comment posted by jimerjam deleted Feb 25th, 2022
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12