The Writeoff Association 937 members · 681 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14
Baal Bunny
Group Contributor

Folks:

I just logged into the Writeoff site, but when I tried to access any of the other pages, Firefox told me:

This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Firefox to connect securely to 106.187.88.67, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.

Should I be worried?

Mike

Sunny
Group Contributor

Well, to be fair, the whole purpose of a security cert is that you can trust the validity of it. A self-issued one does somewhat damage that because now where is your independent verification that is the intended cert versus one that has been swapped out in its place?

bloons3
Group Contributor

Site works for me. Could you try posting a screenshot of why it says the cert is invalid?
If you're using chrome or firefox click the little red padlock.

Ezn
Group Contributor

5552485 How up to date is your version of Firefox? Writeoff.me uses Let's Encrypt, a relatively new (and free!) Certificate Authority for its cert, so it's possible that if you have an old version of FF the Let's Encrypt CA isn't in its trust store.

Posh
Group Contributor

I was wondering how horizon got hold of my bank info...!

Pascoite
Group Contributor

I got the same error when posting my editing offer, and I just plowed through it. I suppose someone could have spoofed the site and tricked me, but it's a site I've been to before and know, so it's not like I was venturing into uncharted waters. It was Firefox on my work computer that complained, though I'd been there before with no trouble. Chrome on my home computer hasn't said anything so far. I figured it was just a momentary blip.

Winston
Group Contributor

I'm using the latest version of Firefox and it hasn't indicated a certificate problem to me. It seems to be correctly verified by Let's Encrypt, and www.writeoff.me resolves in my DNS service to 106.187.88.67, the same IP address you quoted, so it doesn't look like anyone's trying to be sneaky. You should be fine.

Baal Bunny
Group Contributor

Thanks, folks!

Turned out my computer was running Firefox 38. It's now running Firefox 43, so I expect all will be well.

Mike Again

bloons3
Group Contributor

https://community.letsencrypt.org/t/cert-not-work-in-firefox/5272

That'd do it. They added support for the Certificate Authority not to long ago.

horizon
Group Admin

Wait a minute, I've got your bank info?

… Excuse me for a moment. Some greedy hivemate needs to get his face beaten in. :ajbemused:

Alright, many of the links on the site now to go a "mojomafia.net", ex: "https://mojomafia.net/event/60-TBD/prompt/vote", and my browser's saying there's certificate problems with those pages. I never got the problems that happened five weeks back, and I'm guessing that this is different.

Looks like all the links went back to normal since I made my post. Seriously, does no one have any info on what I'm talking about?

RogerDodger
Group Admin

I do also own that domain but the links being changed I can't explain.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14