The Writeoff Association 937 members · 681 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15
journcy
Group Contributor

Ooh, I just gave myself shivers. I feel so official.
There's been some discussion in the main thread about splitting the reviews off and putting them somewhere else. I think TD's spreadsheet already does a pretty good job of that, but there might be a better solution.

Proposal:
Add a "Reviews" page link to the event listing page, probably directly under "Author guessing." On this Reviews page, have a list of all submitted stories with a text box next to them. Users copy the link to their review of a story (whether on Fimfiction in the thread or elsewhere) and put that link in the text box of whatever story. On the Fic gallery page, add another column to the table for reviews. Display the number of reviews a story has received in this column, with that number linking to a page that just collects all the links to reviews that a story has received.

Benefits:
• Creates an official holding place for reviews without actually making people put their reviews on the site (which would probably be bad for Roger and worse for us).
• Would probably be a bit easier to use than TD's spreadsheet, as well as easier to find, more evident to people who don't pay a ton of attention to the thread, and not dependent on his ability to make the new spreadsheet every contest. Though since he's an extremely advanced AI designed for the purpose of dropping devastating reviews on n00bs and devouring all our downthumbs, that scenario doesn't seem very likely. But still.

Drawbacks:
• Might create additional social pressure on newcomers to do reviews (though the same "Note for newcomers" that's included at the beginning of every thread could be included on the Reviews page).
• Nothing will be solved for people who don't want to go through putting all the links into the site, and people can't put other people's reviews up like they can with the spreadsheet (at least not without confusing matters immensely).
• To quote Horizon (who I directly ripped this template from (thanks! :D)): "This involves additional coding for Roger."

Thisisalongname
Group Contributor

Wouldn't work for me as I can't pull up the write off page on my phone or tablet. Causes the browser to freeze.

FrontSevens
Group Contributor

I don't think this addresses the main problem people seem to have concerning reviews and availability.

I think the main complaints stem from the event thread not only hosting the reviews, but also the tangential discussions (which, in this event's case, include the discussions about disqualifications and contest rules and trollfics, etc. etc.). Those who want to find the reviews have to sift through all the discussion, though the review spreadsheet provides a decent directory.

Your proposal seems to be to move the directory of reviews from the spreadsheet to the site, without moving the reviews themselves. I think that would make no real difference in terms of accessability, and keeping things as they are would spare Roger some coding. I don't know how TD would feel about this, so I won't speculate.

Reviews being built into the site and a thread only for discussion might alleviate this issue, but as you pointed out, this is likely a lot of work for Roger. In addition (and I think as you also pointed out), since most of the tangential discussions seem to be originating from review discussion anyway, the separation might create more back-and-forth discussion, and that might get annoying.

Perhaps if more disqualification discussions arise, a thread could be created for that express purpose. That might clean out the review thread a bit.

I feel like forum subthreads might fix this, but that's already been proposed as a Fimfic feature in the past, and we don't seem to have them yet.

I dunno. Perhaps I'm missing something. It's an interesting problem, for sure, and I can't think of a good solution.

RogerDodger
Group Admin

I think the current system works well-enough. I put a link to the spreadsheet in the OP when it gets made so people can find it.

Distinguishing between comments and reviews is not something I want to do, since the distinction is fairly arbitrary. I think Deviantart does (did?) this and it wasn't a particularly useful feature.

That's... weird. What phone/tablet/browser are you using?

Thisisalongname
Group Contributor

the original kindle fire, can't remember the name of my phone since it was the last one i had and havn't tried on this one, the one evo with the kick stand if that helps. I should specify though that it wouldn't necessarily freeze when i reached the site, just fail to load some things like the current contest and the drop down menus, and it would crash my browser when i clicked on the log in button.

Pascoite
Group Contributor

On the one hand, sifting through discussion isn't much of an issue with the spreadsheet, since you can link directly to the comment containing the review. On the other hand, if this is official, does that mean each reviewer has the responsibility to put their reviews in? I don't bother to. What penalty would I suffer? Or is someone going to take it upon themselves to keep it current for everyone?

Magello
Group Contributor

4395282 I have a Kindle Fire as well. What I recommend to you is, if you are using the Silk browser, to download a different browser to view websites. Silk is not a very good browser.

I downloaded Dolphin Browser and it's been much better at not freezing and loading times. Try it out.

Thisisalongname
Group Contributor

I'll try it, though I have the original fire and it kinda slow so may not be able to handle it.

journcy
Group Contributor

4395114 4395270 4395447
Basically the main point of my proposal was "Do other people think that it would be nicer if the review directory was a static page and not a Google Spreadsheet?" And the answer seems to be no, so I guess that's that.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

I would be totally cool with someone else putting my reviews in the spreadsheet. :V But things will no doubt get quickly tiring for that individual.

RogerDodger
Group Admin

Well, it wouldn't be a static page. The page needs to have some mechanism to add new reviews to it.

It'd also be nice to have some way to sort the reviews, and to count the reviews (per story, per reviewer), and to add links. It'd also be nice to have revision history in case someone messes things up.

In other words, a spreadsheet is the exact right tool for the job. I'd basically have to write Google Spreadsheets–light to make it "native", which doesn't actually mean anything.

It would, however, be useful to have comments right on the site and marked as pertaining to a particular story (similar to how comments on chapters work here). That's something I intend to do eventually, but it's a long way off right now.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer
Group Admin

ew, who uses :>? D:

journcy
Group Contributor

Knew that when I wrote "static" it was a bad idea. Just couldn't come up with the word for what I actually meant, that being just having a page that was the same thing in the same place on the Writeoff site. Also that didn't have so much scrolling in so many directions. Like literally static, except that's totally not what that means in the context of the Internet, so.
Complete non sequitur, but I'm laughing really hard at some of the stuff in Changes.md.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15