FlashLight 919 members · 331 stories
Comments ( 20 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 20

I always been hearing about how Flash Sentry and after the episode Simple Ways Trenderhoof are "Waifu" stealers, but I have to ask... what the hell is a Waifu?

4322057 fantasy bride. People keep saying that Twilight is their wife.

Here's the best way I can think of how to explain it: A fictional "wife."

4322057 What they said. Basically the character in an animation that is your love interest or something like that.

Sounds to me like someone saying "Waffle" with a very posh French Accent.

Cutesy way of saying wife, it's a anime term. But yeah as the others said, fantasy wife.

So in other words it means that some love interest for the character comes in for that character that fans wanted to be with someone else.

You mean like this?

:derpytongue2:

If a fan has a waifu, that means that the fan wants the character for themself. I think. It's... weird.

Well, I had no idea what waifu meant, but now I do.:rainbowderp:

Really starting to dislike it when fans put anime terms in a non-anime cartoon.:ajbemused:

An example of somebody that thinks Flash is a "waifu stealer" is the well known BlackGryphon. He says (from the reaction video to EQG) that FlashLight is a "bad canon shipping" and that "Twilight should be dating [his] OC." :ajbemused: I hate bronies who are like that. The other bronies in the video also hate FlashLight. I don't care if they are famous, they need to see FlashLight like we do.

It's funny. It's awkward. And it's already "canon" so they can just stick it.
-TheNightShade

To be fair, "Twilight should be dating my OC!" was a joke.

Also to be fair, talking about Flash waffling your waifu is obnoxious. (Why waffling? Please tell me this just involves a date at IHOP.). They should chillax. Twilight is a toy horse, not their waifu.

The Japanese language uses a syllabic system called kana. Many foreign words (like hotel or baseball) are constructed from these syllables as best as possible. Hotel becomes (ho-teh-ru). Baseball becomes (bay-suh-bah-ru). And wife becomes (wai-fu). It has NOTHING to do with waffles.

Yes and that some one else tends to be that person's OC.

Waifu. The worst word in this whole thing because it is against FlashLight

It's a bit complicated.

The whole thing originated in Japanese otaku culture, where a common social ineptness and a tendency for reclusiveness is a very common stereotype. The stereotypical male otaku is a shut-in who "prefers 2D girls to 3D girls" - in other words, prefers imaginary relationships with fictional characters to actual relationships with real people since that is easier and safer.

(The opposite of this is "real juujitsu", which is a state of "completion in real (life)." That is to say, achieving actual happiness with real people by participating in society.)

Anyway, the specific term "waifu" originated on 4chan, where it was used as a derogatory term for individuals with this kind of romantic attachment to fictional girls. Of course, eventually some of those people adopted it as a term of endearment for their fictional love interests - with varying levels of seriousness, I imagine.

Actually, describing Flash Sentry as a "waifu stealer" is, as far as I can tell, a sarcastic way to deride people who don't like Flashlight or Flash in general, bringing us back full circle. It's mostly meant to imply that maybe some fans are taking this a bit too seriously.

I have personally never seen any actual Twilight fan accuse Flash of stealing their "waifu."

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 20