The Cadanceverse 268 members · 12 stories
Comments ( 330 )
  • Viewing 201 - 250 of 330

Lyra is possible my C!bestpony, so anything involving her on a quest of epic discovery excites me. :pinkiehappy:

Well, it also works because, of everyone, she'd actually know what they are.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

1620867: Neat. I can see that going a lot of ways, all of them various flavors of awesome. :-) Love the idea!

An idea I recently had and mentioned on Grass's blog is that as Fluttershy's day job is a vet she probably has the most experience with death of the mane-6 as sometimes her patients have to be put down.

I was wondering about having a story where the pet of one of the foals gets injured or sick and it looks like it should be put down and various characters reactions to the idea, I can sort of see Lyra being in denial about that sort of thing sure that some mirical would fix things and Vinyl having faith in Magic / Science being able to fix anything (Plus maybe something linking to being part raised by her now deceased grandmother from my suggested background). Meanwhile Fluttershy is very down to earth about it, 'We can do amazing things but sometimes the best thing we can do is just stop their suffering'.

I have a vision of Fluttershy having a small graveyard out the back of her house including Angel's predecessor.

I was considering to make Silver Spoon the poor foal in question to humanise her a bit (and to let Bettie and Stirling comfort her) although I think we'd need at least a story with the foal group together first to make them close enough to interact with her about her pet (plus of course theirs no mention of SS having a pet of any kind so maybe another foal might work better).

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

1655555: Hmm...

I'm a bit leery of suggesting that the characters don't know how death works. Lyra may be a bit spacy sometimes, and Vinyl's wacky, but they're not foals. I'd think they'd be aware that you can't resurrect the dead, and that sometimes all you can do is ease suffering. Flutters might be best at actually doing it, but I don't think she'd need to educate the others in how death works.

SS doesn't have a pet... honestly, I think it'd be tough to write her into this fic. I could see it working better as the happy go lucky Tootsie Flute, who maybe keeps hoping that something lucky will happen to save her pet.

I'm also not sure if it's enough to carry a full story, though. Would it be that a foal's pet gets sick, and maybe the foal keeps pushing Flutters away and going to the other Elements (or Redheart, etc) for help instead of accepting things? It might work but I could see it also getting repetitive.

Also, you might already be aware of this, but the author of the killer-Rarity-verse is also doing a fic in which Flutters is sort of the town euthanist. Which doesn't mean you can't do it too, but it's something to keep in mind to avoid getting too similar or somesuch.

Given my que of other things to do It would likely be a while to do this so its not happening soon.

I wasn't trying to say that Lyra or Vinyl don't understand death more that they might be more likely to push harder to save the animal rather than letting it go.

Tootsie would probably work well although it would probably be a very break the cutie moment. I could see her keeping bumping into Fluttershy and eventually figgering out that that was her talent making her lucky rather than miraculacly fixing her pet.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

1672802: I dunno about breaking her. She might be sad during the fic, but I hope at the end she'd come to peace with it.

I like the bit about her luckily bumping into Flutters!

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

Got 1000 words or so written for my next C-verse fic, about Fluttershy going a bit overboard with the whole generosity thing. Expect a chapter to be posted... soon-ish. :-)

If anyone is familiar with my other Antipony threads, this should be familiar.

I've started to work on the ideas for the foil characters of the Musical Six! Suffice to say though, that these guys will be a little different than the other three sets of Antiponies.

First of all, they aren't physical antagonists, with bullshit superpowers. They'll just be another installment in the world that hampers the Muse6 in the usual way: being massive buttfaces.

Second of all, they aren't clones. They're actually their own ponies this time, with lives and back stories and all that good stuff--them resembling their counterparts and having similar names is a total coincidence here!

And third of all, they're all part of Commotion Records, a big-name record company that serves as the main vehicle for portraying their antagonism towards the Musical Six.

Three of them will be actual musicians, who are under contract to Commotion Records; they are Lyra's, Fluttershy's, and Medley's foils-- Alto Soulflats, Havocwing, and Single. They are the sympathetic ones--they're jerks, of course, but you can understand their reasons for being jerks. Heck, they might even get better as they continue to appear!

The other three, however...? Well, they're part of the Executive branch, and oh lordy, are they scumbags. Vinyl, Octavia, and Bluenote have to deal with Vice President Record Deal, Senior Secretary Solfeggia Quindicesima, and the big cheese herself, President of Commotion Records, Mrs. Brasstone, Chief Executive Officer. They aren't getting redeemed anytime this decade, so don't wait up.

Anyway, time for the main event; the first two sketches of this series!

Pepperdown "Havocwing" Posey

Cutie Mark: A wing-shaped fireball with a thin tounge of flame snaking out of it -- represents a talent in on-the-fly clever "wordplay"
Musical Specialty: Rap Music

That's it, you read that right. Pepper--I mean, Havocwing is actually a part of the Posey family! I actually thought that part up as the set up to a gag for when she would first appear--spend most of the episode establishing that she's a selfish, greedy, and generally unpleasant mare, then come right out of left field when Fluttershy reunites with her Cousin Pepperdown ("I TOLD YOU NEVER TO CALL ME THAT IN PUBLIC!") for what feels like the first time in ages.

So, yes, she was born Pepperdown Posey, then started using the name "Havocwing" when she started rapping. And she is Shy's cousin--albiet the black sheep of the Family, and currently distanced from them since Shy's mom made it abundantly clear at last year's family reunion-slash-"bumblefuck fiasco" that if she ever dared to show her face to her in person again, she would be waking up the next morning in a mental hospital with total amnesia under someone else's name.

Havoc likes money. Like, more than a friend. So seeing as how her family has long since cut her off, signing on to Commotion was a move made specifically to get more money. She could care less what the company does, as long as she gets paid crazy good. Which, admittedly, Commotion does indeed do! So long as you hand over your image control, your equipment and material copyrights, the rights to your name and likeness...

Alto Soulflats

Cutie Mark: Flat accidental with a volume meter built off of it -- represents acoustic talent
Musical Specialty: Rock Music

There's a sort of pattern that you might see with these two--a sort of creepy, deeper connection with each other that each Muse6 member has with their Antipony. For Shy and Havoc it's their familial relationship, and for Lyra and Alto, it's that both will have, at one point, fucked Bon-Bon.

Wait what

So, Alto being Bonnie's Ex! Where to begin...?

Well, if true love can truly blossom with Lyra, then it's only fair to show the other side of that coin; getting steadily more pissed at a person you thought you loved until you have to get the hell away from each other to keep from murdering each other. In this case, Alto started out much like the other Alto Solflats; carefree, playful, and a bit of an oversexed ass. For a while, though, she and Bon Bon stuck together. There really was something there, at one point. Unfortunately, a relationship like theirs never holds up that well against sudden fame.

You know the story; young, naive kid with a beat-up six string makes a deal with the devil for fame and fortune. Then, it's only till she's left alone that she realizes Fame comes at the price of everything you took for granted. That's basically Alto. She became less oversexed, but more of an ass, and she and Bon-Bon were basically over. Now, Alto is stuck with a chip on her shoulder and a contract she can't get out of. Joy.

This Alto is the complete opposite of Lunatic!Alto. Cynical, grumpy, and often the straight mare to Havocwing's grandstanding, bitching, and/or stupid fucking antics.

And these are just the first two.

Something that just occurred tome, if Fluttershy is a vet presumably she normally has some patients that need to have an eye kept on them. So should she have an assistant or a sort of locum for when she needs a night or a few days off?

We could come up with an OC or possibly one of the nurses (Red Heart) could moonlight as a veterinary nurse?

If she can't get cover sometimes its a good excuse for why she can't be on a particular adventure, "Fluttershy wanted to come but she's looking after a chicken with a cough."

Alternatively Ponyville or Fluttershy's practice could be so small that she doesn't usually have enough patients to need cover.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

2094086: An assistant could be fun. Any ideas on what that pony might be like?

The idea that immediately springs to mind is an hopeless intern, a teen pony who is very upbeat and cheerful but always gets things wrong, despite loving animals there is just something about her (or him) that turns animals against him (or her). Maybe scratching claws for a cutie mark? One of Vinyl's relatives Cat Scratch?

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

2100557: I'm guessing she has a fever a lot.

But I like the idea! An assistant could be fun for Flutters.

The idea came up for the Generosity games, Fluttershy's going to be out for the night so she'll probably need someone to cover. Someone who a bunch of animals can either sneak past or overrun to follow Fluttershy.

Plus that songs on my current musical rotation.

Awesome. Seriously, every antipony you have made so far has been amazing, and for the ones you didn't make (Havocwing and in the Manehattenverse, Starlight Shadow) you have created awesome new backstories. The evil music records storyline sounds friggin brilliant. I can't wait to see the new antiponies for Vinyl, Medly and Bluenote, and seeing how Octavia's antipony differs from the Manehattenverse version :yay:

Thanks, dude.

Manahex Solfeggia (Resonance) and Commotion Solfeggia (Quindicessima) will have wildly different personalities, rest assured.

So who likes comically large first-iteration portable phones?

Vice President of Commotion Records -- Record Deal

Cutie Mark: Represents the ability to profiteer off of other ponies' music
Specialty: Legally Binding Contracts

Record Deal is not a musician. However, her talent does relate to music in a way: from a young age, she has been able to organize deals with her more musical peers to make money off of their performances. Eventually, what had started out as verbal deals as a filly to set up shows for payment in return became her current modus operandi: Expertly written contracts designed to keep the artists of Commotion under her hoof.

Despite the amount of power she has in the company, she's under constant pressure to maintain her job from her (and everyone's!) boss, President Brasstone, and the President's secretary, the mysterious Solfeggia Quindicessima. Her latest target is Vinyl Scratch--if she cab convince the Element of Magic to sign on to Commotion, they'll be swimming in bits! That, and exerting exclusive ownership over that music equipment that Vinyl has invented would be a nice bonus...

Record Deal is a smooth talker when she needs to sell it, but putside of work, she doesn't have a very high opinion of the artists under her contract. Her primary motivations for what she does are money and power-- she doesn't like most of these musicians, but she needs them to feel powerful; otherwise, she'd have nothing to make up for living in fear of Mrs. Brasstone...

Ah I remember them so well, I don't think you've shown the battery though.

Seems I was being somewhat prophetic here, maybe the music of Ponyville is stopping / slowing the growth of the Plunder seeds thus stopping the destruction of the tree of harmony.

Maybe Octy and Medly or Vinyl could work together to make something like this

This image was floating around the Lunaverse board, but I can't help but ask: the potential sequel to Busting Boasts?

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

2432026 : Heh. That'd be an interesting culmination to their adventures. I see Trixie's got the alicorn amulet, and... is Twilight possessed by Sombra? Hmm... interesting idea. :-)

Maybe it's just me but they look scarily attractive there.

2468335 Trixie's always attractive to me... :p

Anyway, I dunno. I think that would be way too dark for the Cadanceverse.

I don't think it has to be darker than Magic Duel really.

Twilight and Trixie head off to an archeologically dig and Twilight gets possessed by something while Trixie finds the amulet. Both make their way to Ponyville and quickly take over. The possession / amulet don't make them instantly blood thirsty monsters just nastier than normal. The mane-6 then have to figure out how to fix them without being caught. To prevent the rainbow cannon being brought to bare straight away maybe one of the elements gets captured straight away, Vinyl maybe.

I've had a few thoughts about new stories recently. I don't think I'll actually be writing anything for a few months but if anyone has any thoughts on them I might get inspired

Hoedown
Octavia as part of her job of studying the musical styles of Ponyville is invited to a Hoedown at Sweet Apple Acres. Its not something she's looking forward to but who knows once she's there she might see something she likes.

I would set this about a week after Octavia arrives in town. Its a chance to introduce the background ponies and explore what they think about what's happened with the Twins returning and Octavia's behaviour.

Also it's not exactly been a secret that I've had a low key Octavia / Big Mac ship I have running through my other Cadenceverse stories. I'm hoping to get this kicked off here. I'd like to point out that I'm not planning on having them getting married and having lots of beautiful foals. My current idea is that they find each other attractive, however, Octavia considers herself to busy in her studies for romantic endeavours and Big Mac is to shy to make the first move. This story will have the two of them noticing each other exists and not to much more than that.

Silence
A rather long term story which might not fit well into the universe but it's an idea. An accident or act of Nemesis results in the whole of Ponyville being effected by Amusia. They cannot make or understand music. The spell is temporary but will take several months to wear off. How do the elements cope?
Octavia - To her this is a living nightmare. She would probably question her whole existence if she can't make or enjoy music. With the help of her friends she might try other occupations to find something she's good at.

Lyra - She's lost her income but would probably think more of others than herself. Like Octavia she might try a range of jobs although would have less of a problem starting at the bottom. As long as she has Bon Bon she's happy.

Vinyl - Also out of a job for the moment although she might continue some of her magical experiments into music. Maybe try to bypass the spell via other types of music.

Fluttershy - Probably the least effected. She would miss music but it doesn't effect her on a day to day basis although the same effect might stop her communicating to her animals as well.

Bluenote - Also out of a job. Maybe she could move into other types of teaching, teaching cooking maybe.

Madley - Also out of a job, she can probably still make instruments but tuning them would be impossible and as it effects all of town no one's going to be buying any instruments. Would probably try to pull more weather shifts or build other things.

Cat and Angel
A spin off from Generosity Games. I had quite a bit of fun with Angel and Cat Scratch so I considered a story with them as the main characters. It might be a bit far from the main cast but here's my idea.

Fluttershy is incapacitated in some way (I'm currently thinking the flu but she may just be out) and a big storm from the Everfree results in lots of injured animals. Cat and Angel have to work together to treat them all. A bit of a look into Angel's background and dealing with him having to overcome his fear of magic to work with Cat.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

2468747 : Vinyl: "There's only one way to settle who's stronger, possessed Twixie. We must have a duel... a ROCK DUEL!"
Trixie: "A what?"
Twilight: "I don't recognize the term."
Vinyl: "Oh, you will."
*cue epic battle of the bands*

2469170 : I like the hoedown idea. That could be a fun, light story. And it'd be funny to see the prim&proper Octavia learning how to square dance. Probably want to work in at least one of the other L6... dunno which, though.

Silence sounds like it could be very dark, particularly if it did go on for several months. If it was of shorter duration, though (or maybe it was supposed to go on for a while, but the Elements solve the problem within a few days), it could be good. As for who would self-destruct the worse... maybe Vinyl? Bluenote's laid-back enough that she'd be, well, disturbed, but wouldn't freak out. Lyra would be spurred to doing something heroic to fix the problem .Fluttershy and Medley, like you said, could focus on their other jobs, and Octavia's already done a fair amount of freaking out, so it's probably someone else's turn. But Vinyl... we saw in 'Busting Boasts' that she gets upset when her facility with her wubtech/magic music is challenged, so being unable to use it at all would be a pretty bad blow.

And Cat and Angel sounds like a hilarious idea. :-)

With the hoe down as the idea is that its a 'thank you for saving the world' party with most of the town involved all of the 6 would be there although they might not all get as big a role.

I would imagine that Vinyl would be most used to interacting with a large number of dancing ponies so the hoe down might suit her, the other possibility for an important role would be Bluenote who again I could see having fun calling the dances maybe having her be Octavia's dance instructor.

Fluttershy would probably be the least at home being rather overwhelmed by the crowds and noise.
Lyra could get a chance to dance with Bon Bon in an environment where everypony gets to dance with everypony else.
Medley, well it might be a chance to see her let her hair down and get out of the shop for a change.

You could well be right about silence being to dark, although the fixing it quickly could tone it down. I basically wanted to see what the mane-6 were if you removed music.

As for Cat and Angel, I actually didn't think of it as a comedy, more a character study. Although now you've mentioned it ...

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

2474257 : Hee! I can see Octavia being a bit confused.

Octavia: "Why, we're the guests of honor at a party to thank us. How lovely. I expect we will sit at the head of the table and perhaps be served first."
Applejack: "You saved the world! That means you're first in line for apple bobbin'!" *shoves Octavia's face into a bucket of floating apples*

As I've seen this weeks episode...

Octavia finds out that she's distantly related to Pinkie Pie, she tries to stop her head exploding.

2578863 Still remember the time when Octavia was considered Pinkie's close relative?

Yep, there's a few stories still around having her being Inkie or Blinkie (I can't remember which way round they go) all grown up.

Of course now we have Fiddlesticks suggesting a familial relationship between Octavia and the Apples.

It didn't happen today, but the rumor is still out there about a Pie sister showing up at some point in S4.

There's a story out there that not only has Octavia as Inky / Marble Pie, but Blinkie / Limestone Pie becomes Photo Finish somehow.

I'd be interested in seeing a Octavia / Fiddlesticks and Bluenote / Pitch Perfect jam session.

It's obviously a multi talented family.

I did have some idea's for Fiddlesticks earlier ranging from one of Octy's sisters in disguise to a deranged fan trying to look like her idol. It wouldn't fit with the setting but a bastard half sister might fit as well.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

I just found out that there's a type of refrigerator that runs off of sound waves.

...I think I know what Vinyl's next invention will be. :-)

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

2474257 : So, I had another thought about the silence story.

I still think having the effect last for months is too long. Both because it's very dark and because it sets up a multiple-month block where no other stories can take place that use conventional music. But if it were for only a few days, I think it could work.

Let's say Nemesis possessed some entity that enabled it to cast that silence spell, presumably with the hopes of breaking the elements by making them despair or give up a la Discord. So the Elements need to beat Nemesis to break the spell. As for how, Music for the Deaf is a thing, so the Elements would perhaps put on a concert using vibrations and stuff that was awesome even though everyone was deaf. The concert is loved by all the town, and the Elements activate to drive Nemesis away again.

It could be a really neat ensemble piece, with all 6 pooling their talents to beat the baddie and save the day. It could also be a way to incorporate Granny Smith, who I believe is canonically (in the show) hard of hearing.

Yay!

Plus we really do have a lot of blue ponys don't we

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

3156533 : Yay! I love it! That is really awesome! :-D

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

3156545 : I like blue. :-) Although we really only have one blue pony, plus one teal pony and one pony with a blue mane.

Vinyl - Blue mane
Fluttershy - Blue eyes
Medley - Blue coat, blue eyes, blue/green mane
Bluenote - Blue coat
Lya - Blue mane, Blue/green coat

That's an awful amount of blue.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

3157563 : I see Lyra's coat and mane as mint-green, Medley's as teal, and Flutter's eyes as teal. It doesn't look too blue to me.

3156533 Ah, that's awesome!

3157799 Teal is blue to me. ;) So yeah, lots of blue. :D

They're more greenish than blue though.

It might be something to bring up in universe at some point, maybe Medley and Bluenote have to disguise themselves as each other for some reason (with contacts, mane dye and something to cover wings?).

2854439 You know, in the Hasbroverse, Soundwave of the transformers is part of a faction negotiating peace with Earth and Cybertron. Maybe a non-canon thing for the Crossover-verse? :rainbowlaugh:

Well we did already mention Blaster and Vinyl jamming.

Interestingly... Bluenote's counterpart ("Pitch Perfect) in the Nightmare Night / Apple Family Reunion Band is also blue... she's just blonde instead.

• Viewing 201 - 250 of 330