Sunset Shimmer 4,927 members · 6,749 stories
Comments ( 21 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 21

Hiya, lovely peeps!

Just wanted to share something I’ve noticed about Sunset recently.

When we first meet her in Equestria Girls, the color of her magical aura is cyan, matching her eyes. When she transforms into a demon later in the movie, the color remains the same, now with hints of black.

But then, she gains a new type of magic post-reformation. And this new magic (the Magic of FriendshipTM) takes on a new color - a warm, rich crimson. It starts in Rainbow Rocks, and afterwards, her magic is consistently shown as being red. Compare the above shots with the ones in Rainbow Rocks, Friendship Games, and Legend of Everfree.

This eventually culminates in her return to Equestria in Mirror Magic, where it shows her unicorn magic has also changed color.

It’s interesting to note that cyan (a shade of green) and crimson (a shade of red) oppose each other on the color spectrum. This means that Sunset’s aura color did a 180 at the same time as her personality. It’s little details like these that make me appreciate the show even more.

Anywho, that was my little observation about bacon horse and her bacon-colored magic.

But which do you prefer: cyan or crimson?

I have noticed that too when the three part special happened, didn't noticed it for Rainbow Rock though. At the time I just assumed it was to differentiate her magic from Starlight Glimmer own teal magic when she briefly came into Equestria for a new book and was a one off thing or forgotten about it.

Green is the evil color. XD

I actually have a way to compromise. Cyan is the magic aura color of Sunset’s human counterpart at first, becoming crimson post-reformation. However, Sunset herself always had a crimson aura, later gaining hints of gold.

This is a hard choice.. I love both of her aura colors to be honest. Her green is a nice not only because it matches her eyes, but it also stands out more with her orange/red/yellow. Yet at the same time red is also a very fitting color because of her discovered element, but blends in almost too well and is hard to see with her mane. So for me, as much as I like the red for various reasons, I'd say that I like the green more, if by a hair and personal views.

Honestly i prefer cyan but i admit crimson better suits her sun and fire motif especially now i know its the exact opposite of the original

Its probably that her harmony changed
Aka hasbro said YES

If I was naturally to choose one for Sunset... it would be.... Crimson :3

Cause why not: Crimson is obviously red, right? ^^

The animators might actually have done to make Sunset stand apart, but I like that it’s consistent with what we saw before.

In the world of My Little Pony, yes. Think of Chrysalis, the entire changeling race pre-reformation, the Flim Flam brothers, Sombra’s eyes, the Inspiration Manifestation spell and Starlight’s teal-colored magical aura. In the world of Equestria Girls, think of the Dazziling’s green fumes, Glorosia and her demon transformation, and of course, Wallflower Blush.

I actually prefer her crimson hue, mainly ‘cause it matches her character better. It makes more sense to give a warm color since she’s associated with the phoenix and fire and the sun.

Hmm. Never thought of that, but yeah, the red does in fact blend with her mane a little too much. Like I said earlier, though, I prefer the red, but I can see where you’re coming from.

Also hi jimmy!
Hows the tf stories?

Well.... for the ones I did in 2019, 2020 and very early part of 2021... see here's where they are:

https://www.deviantart.com/jimmyhook19202122/gallery/76744759/fimfiction-story-relocation

And the ones that would of been on during the remainder of January 2021:

https://www.deviantart.com/jimmyhook19202122/gallery/76585370/new-home-for-all-of-my-mlp-eg-etc-tg-tf-stories

My 2c:

I don't have the quote at hand, but IIRC the animators did it on Legend of Everfree to signal her "reformation" IIRC.

Personally I'd prefer she still kept her teal-colored magic as it matched the color of her eyes.

"Green is not a creative color."-Drawing Pad, Don't Hug Me I'm Scared.

DHMIS reference.

Well。。。she is the only unicorn got blasted by friendship rainbow laser and survived, so maybe thats how rainbow laser works?
Anyway, I prefer cyan because it looks cooler.

You're welcome :)

I believe the change was to show that she changed. It is actually very common to use two different colors to say if they are good or evil. Take Winx club when bloom uses her magic it is a soft blue and she glows a warm yellow. But when she was spelled to Being bad her magic was black with hits of dark blue and she glowed dark purple color

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 21