The Accusation Fic Collection 1,047 members · 2,016 stories
Comments ( 17 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 17

My Little Pony. A show that has always been about understanding, friendship, and compassion.

Even as G5 comes closer, we can see the ideals of G4 break through the hardened shell, showing us the value of forgiveness and compassion… So why do we love seeing these ideas fail so much?

I’m sure I’m not the only one here who loves a good revenge story. The only reason why I found this group is because I had a strange hunger for darker stories where the problem can;’t be solved with a song and a hug.

Of all the stories in this group, one of my favorites to read are the Canterlot Wedding reimagined, where Twilight feels outraged about being abandoned by her friends and is either exiled or willingly leaves. I love stories that end up with characters being miserable and getting dragged through the mud, reading them fall deeper and deeper into a pit of despair as they battle their own demons.

But why?

Friendship is Magic taught many of us a lot of things over the years, and among those lessons was that forgiveness and compassion are important to resolving issues. So why do we love to read about these characters being miserable?

Why am I happy to see Rarity go out of business in an Anon-A-Miss fic? Or watch as Celestia crumbles underneath Twilight’s hardened gaze after the wedding?

I know it’s not bad for me to want these things, after all that’s why this group is here, but I can’t figure out why I feel happy to see them fail.

So, I’ll pose this question to you. Why do you like to see Trixie thrive and Twilight suffer? What drives you to look for stories where Celestia fails her students?

Why do we love to hate?

I more or less just like to watch characters learn that they f***ed up, and try to fix their mistakes. For example I was satisfied when Starlight learned her lesson in “Every Little Thing She Does”. I was not satisfied with the apology that was given in “Canterlot Wedding” because only Applejack apologized so no one else had to, which disappointed me.

It’s not that I love to hate, it’s that I love retribution. Seeing people face the consequences of their actions is just so satisfying to me.

i know twilight would be very disappointed to find that all her hard work had been for nothing in the future

Personally I saw it’s less the hate and more, in cannon they never really had to deal with the consequences of those actions. The forgiveness feels cheap so to speak. There is no effort over many episodes to make up for it. Think about a more mature show like she ra. Catra or how ever her name is spelled had to go through a lot for her redemption and People felt she earned it she didn’t say “hey i’m good know” and everything she did didn’t magicly get fixed she suffered and worked for her redemption.

Yeah, this. I didn't mind it at first, but I think in our hearts we know as mature beings that actions have consequences. Seeing forgiveness basically handed out on a silver platter over and over again felt wrong. Despite being seen as a typically negative thing, sometimes people feel like they can relate to hate more, and sometimes it's a feeling that is actually deserved. Contrary to what some think, it is possible to hurt someone so badly they might never be able to forgive you, or even want to.

I'm more into cases that address where characters should've had some form of acknowledgement, but didn't, and thus suffer the consequences.

Say what you want about A Canterlot Wedding, but there were consequences in the episode for what happened.

A prime case I can think of is Ponyville Confidential, where nobody acknowledged their hypocrisy in the whole situation and essentially used the CMC as scapegoats to avoid having to confront a problem they themselves were part of, even indirectly. Basically, three kids suddenly being made homeless is worse than an adult being left alone to think after acting out.

That episode is ripe for fics for this group, but as of right now, it doesn't even have enough to fill and entire page in it's own sub-folder.

When did it say the CMC were homeless.

The implication was enough.

I think it's because not everything can be solved with a hug and friendship Aesop speech - while compassion, empathy, and forgiveness is a core concept, there are some actions that are just TOO severe that hurts on a personal level; seeing the victims get some form of catharsis and their tormenters getting a dose of karma just feels satisfying.

PLCTheCd
Group Contributor

I do agree, while I am not AGAINST the concept of Forgiveness itself. People nowadays assume Forgiveness=Free from consequences.

Sometimes people would take advantage on their victim's forgiveness only for the cycle to repeat again.
Eh, that might be true but I would take a better apology scene over a montage over any day. You might argue that as an Element of Honesty, Applejack's apology would be enough for everyone's behalf. But not only did Applejack fell for CHrysalis' lies, but wouldn't it be better SHOWING the others' acknowledging too?

A great example with a better apology scene and consequences is in the episode of Samurai Jack Jack Under the Sea

For those who never saw the episode. Jack visits an underwater city akin to Atlantis populated by fish people called the Triceraquins. The Triceraquins offered Jack a tour of their city and during a dinner scene, the population wishes to be resurfaced. The Triceraquins offer Jack a ride back to his own time but it was a trap set by Aku who promised the Triceraquins to resurface their city if they captured Jack. Prior to that Triceraquins were reluctant to trick Jack and felt like they had no choice. But yet again, AKu lied to them which prompts them to free Jack. In the end, the Triceraquins acknowledges what they did was unforgivable but to their surprise, Jack forgives them since Aku is an expert liar. The Triceraquins offers sushi as an apology gift.

I agree, it was frustrating when the main characters got away without any consequences especially in episodes like Canterlot Wedding, Ponyville Confidential or The Mysterious Mare do Well.

I was referring to other stories, like where the human is treated horribly, and they just forgive the ponies and nothing happens.

Besides, how would they learn anything if you just forgive them that quickly? Especially when it comes down to being treated so badly your personality actually changes (which is what happened to me throughout my life)? Say you were once a really outgoing and friendly person, and then all of a sudden your treated like the scum of the Earth just because you were different (which used to be VERY common before Martin Luther King Jr. made his speech), and you become an antisocial mess that can barely talk to other people.

That just doesn’t fly with me.

Personally, I think it's better to see the main characters learn form their mistakes the hard way. Otherwise what's going to stop them from repeating the same mistakes again later down the line? TO me if they won't take their friendship or refuse to find better solutions to solve their problems or if they believe their pride, dreams, desire's, or reputations are more important than their duties & responsibilities as rulers or protectors of their world, nonetheless their relationships with family members, they either need to be killed off the show & replaced or be reassigned(DEMODED) to other shows more suitable for their issues & needs.

It's the Chimpanzee Circuit.

Look at the majority of the posts above. They all share a central theme: retribution. Vengneance, ultimately. Payback. They call it 'consequences' or 'justice', but it is really just outrage.

Whenever a Grayback in a Chimpanzee troup - always the largest, toughest, most violent male - becomes consistently abusive and cruel (this happens, sometimes), there is a curious counterbalance. Eventually, a smaller, weaker, milktoasty male will just - snap - and go insane. The go apeshit, to put it humorously. They get so angry and upset that they stop being concerned with whether or not they live or die. They attack the Alpha Grayback, and murder him. They often die as a result, either in the effort, or later, from terrible wounds or disability. That is the Chimpanzee Circuit. Feeling downtrodden and abused makes them flip out and deal some permanent payback. Consequences. Justice. Retribution.

Humans are only 1.7% different from their chimp cousins, and they definitely have that circuit. Most humans LOVE to see 'instant karma', they dream of vengeance against those who have wronged them, they love the idea of 'heroes' dispensing 'justice' to 'bad guys'. It's in most media, most games, most stories. An endless parade of retribution against 'evildoers' and anyone or anything considered 'wrong'. The Chimpanzee Circuit generates a lot of pleasure to humans. Vengeance is a rush. It feels like power.

Human life is very oppressive. Everyone has to put up with asshole bosses, or neighbors, or bullies, or family members, or officials, or laws, or rules, or any sort of thing that has power over them. Almost no human lacks something or someone they have to show obeisance to, deference to, or kowtow to that they feel wronged by. It never ends. So, most humans are angry all the time. Their Graybacks take advantage of them. They are tired of being constantly put in their place by bigger or more powerful, or more wealthy humans.

So, they enjoy revenge fantasies to comfort themselves. Superheroes. Detectives. Soldiers fighting the 'good' fight'. Tough guys. Smart guys. The little guy beating the system. The big guy fighting the monsters. 'Our' team beating 'their' team at sportsball. Victory. Justice. Compensation. Retribution. Making sure nobody who should not 'get away with it' ever 'gets away with it'. The Chimpanzee Circuit, without risking your own life.

And having a fetish for that feeling, is called hate. It is justified rage. It is feeling so 'right' that whoever one is angry at deserves whatever they 'get coming'. Hate implies vengeance, even if it is never realized. And thus hate is a rush and feels good. It feels like power. It feels like righteousness. It feels like killing the Alpha Grayback.

And that is why.

It's very human.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 17