Romance is Magic! 1,721 members · 5,373 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

Okay... So suppose that for the sake of developing my story's plot, I choose to interpret Rarity's desire for a prince - a stallion - as meaning that she is strictly straight.

Would it make sense for Rarity to encourage the same of Sweetie Belle? Dissuade her from pursuing something more than friendship with her fellow fillies. Send a colt her way under the guise that he wants help getting his cutie mark. Not an untrue guise, as it isn't a lie, but she has ulterior motives. Mayhaps suggesting to the colt that he should ask Sweetie on a date.

Maybe it's happened more than once?

And all the while, Sweetie Belle is a closet lesbian, who actually isn't all that sure of what the way she feels means.

I'm sorry if the title of the thread isn't particularly good. The question I'm asking is kind of complex.

In vanilla canon there's never been a hint that Rarity's anything but straight, unless you interpret her delight at Applejack's praise of "a good thing should be a rarity" as lust of AJ. In contrast, she's displayed significant attraction toward at least three characters -- Blueblood, Spike and Trenderhoof -- who were male.

Sweetie Belle's sexuality is less clear, because she's never been shown having a crush on anyone (unless you choose to interpret her dance with Spike at the Canterlot Wedding as sexual attraction). She's probably straight (because most people are) but she might well be bi or gay instead.

I don't know that Rarity has anything against her sister being a lesbian, though. However, she might.

Thanks for the input. I forgot about the Canterlot Wedding dance thing.
But overall, based on your thoughts, and my own, I feel like my suggested scenario
is at least within the realm of possibility.

But I'm welcome to more people's opinions.

Straight Rarity is extremely plausible. Equestria having a homosexuality taboo is somewhat plausible. I mean they seem pretty liberal over there but every society has its limits.

Rarity wanting Sweetie Belle to be straight because Rarity herself is straight seems a bit weird? At the very least you’d need to unpack Rarity’s reasoning. And if Equestria doesn’t have a strong homosexuality taboo then Twilight would nip The whole sister-straightening thing in the bud as soon as she found out.

I'll counter argue the Twilight thing with a question?
Why would she even become involved?

But the unpacking Rarity's reasoning point you made is definitely
worth more thought than I've given it. Some times I feel dumb when
I find myself oversimplifying complex issues like that.

There's only 3 things I can come up with for a possible factor for Rarity's reasoning.
Either a long family history of only straight relationships. The stallion-to-mare ratio
which has been used in many many fics. Or Rarity having had a bad same-sex
experience in the past.

I could see rarity steering her sister away to help guide her or out of a sense of worry regarding her “social chances” or her happiness as a sapphic mare.

Spike might get involved. He's friends with both of them and sees them on a fairly regular basis. Ditto Fluttershy.

Sorry for the late-ish response.

I like that angle a lot actually. I think I was being a bit of a negative nelly with my ideas last night
since I was actually getting really tired.

I'll take that for consideration. Something I'll have to think on...

Rarity is kinda wannabe princess and is desperate to fit into the high society of Canterlot. High society have been generally against gay or interracial relationships and anything else that doesn't fit their high standard. Not to mention Canterlot is full of nothing but unicorns for some reasons. A theory I have about unicorns is that they view procreating with non-unicorns would dilute their overall magical potential. High society have always been about marriage, breeding, hier apparent, and the ownership of properties. So these are reasons why I could see Rarity being mortify about Sweetie Bell being in a gay relationship, especially if it was with a earth pony.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9