Life in Manehattan 362 members · 19 stories
Comments ( 17 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 17
Goldenheart
Group Contributor

I'll be using Pokey Pierce as a villain for my next story sometime in the winter after Fillies Play. I just want to set ground for now or until I change my mind. Other than that, I want to see what other ideas you all have for your own villains to discuss for in the future of this AU.

1741068 Well, (blatant plug alert) I have a series I'm working on where Applejack stayed in Manehattan and became a successful businessmare, and was eventually planning on having her get into a business- and ideological-rivalry with an Ayn Rand-style "greed is good" foil. A character like that would work well against Orange Sherbet, too, and you'd probably be able to get to it a lot sooner than I would with mine.

Goldenheart
Group Contributor

There is already a character villain for Orange Sherbet in plans for this universe

Ahuziotal could be a good enemy to show up every now and again

Or maybe someone could create an anti-Mare Do Well villain who starts causing trouble and the group as to deal with him/her

Also since it's Manehatten, maybe you could come up with a mafia that is looking to get a hold of one of the elements to hold ransom (they would all be pretty bumbling though so as to not make them overly dark or anything)

Maybe even use canon antagonists like Flam and Flam or Gilda

Ethereal Trixster
Group Contributor

Sunset Shimmer seems the ideal villain as well.

Goldenheart
Group Contributor

Remember to go by canon on where each character is at this point, or if a villain is already in use.
For example, I used Ahuizotl already in my story as a side villain, check it out!

I'll check out the Ahuizotl story. Only just started reading Manehattenverse stories.

Does it need to be canon enemies or can they be OC's, because there is only so many antagonists in MLP that could fit well with Manehatten and the new M6.

Also, how is Pokey Peirce a villain?

It's not a bad idea. Do you mind a little Devil's Advocate?

When turning a hero as a villain/antagonist in an AU, it's best to err on the side of caution. How much OOC is Rarity acting in this AU if she's antagonizing the Manehattan Six? Sure, she's not the Element of Generosity in this universe, but it raises the existential question of why the Elements of Harmony chose the bearers that they did. LJP has inferred that life in Ponyville goes on relatively normally without the Element Bearers living there... there are a few "want of a nail" situations that work themselves out, but there's nothing to insinuate that Rarity is now a greedier pony because Twilight wasn't there to make her generous. Rarity was generous before the Element chose her.

That's not to say that Rarity can't be an antagonist. Her Nightmare form in the comic and her discorded self are examples of that. But there's always a story behind it, something that would have to happen in this AU that wouldn't have happened had Nightmare Moon appeared in Ponyville instead of Manehattan. Considering canon!Rarity is about quality, what would make her more interested in making a sale than true fashion? What jaded her to the point where she would mock her customers' fashion sense and risk losing a sale? Keep in mind that the Rainboom still happened in the Manehattanverse,and all of the ponies' cutie marks are still the same.

On a related note... your comment just inspired me to write a backstory for a different potential villain. I'll post a link to it when it's more coherent.

OK, my twisted mind brings you a non-Azuihotl antagonist for Daring Do. The password is still swordfish.

I don't know, it just came bubbling out and needed to go somewhere.

Considering canon!Rarity is about quality, what would make her more interested in making a sale than true fashion? What jaded her to the point where she would mock her customers' fashion sense and risk losing a sale?

Well, let's look at the episodes where Rarity had somethin' at stake as a professional. Keep in mind the other thread wasn't entirely serious an' in any case wasn't definitive (yet), so don't worry 'bout contradictin' that, except where specific stories're referenced.

The episodes in question are Suited for Success, Green Isn't Your Color, A Dog and Pony Show, an' Sweet and Elite. In two a' those, Rarity behaves selfishly, wishin' ill of Fluttershy in Green Isn't Your Color an' forgettin' about her friends in Sweet and Elite. The trouble is, ah cain't think of anything that'd happen differently in Green Isn't Your Color jus' because of a lack a' Twilight, an' ah don't think Sweet an' Elite would happen at all with Rarity havin' no connection ta the Princess. That leaves Suited for Success an' A Dog and Pony Show.

A few possibilities come ta mind. In Suited for Success, Rarity is inspired to make Gala dresses. Absent that, ah think she'd find out about Hoity Toity on her own instead a' havin' her friends arrange a surprise show. She'd prob'ly put somethin' together for him, but without the Gala for inspiration, it's jus' not good enough. His criticism may not be as severe as in canon, but it'd hit Rarity hard anyway. Then, in A Dog and Pony Show, Spike isn't around ta tell the others Rarity has been kidnapped. When the Diamond Dogs release her, they aren't there ta pull the carts, so she can't take as many gems with her, an' still ends up without enough fer Sapphire Shores' order.

THEN Green Isn't Your Color happens. Rarity's career has taken a few hits, she's feelin' pressure, feelin' nervous. An' that's when Fluttershy steals her spotlight. This pushes her over the edge, an' instead a' stickin' around an' finally comin' to a resolution, she cuts ties an' leaves Ponyville, bitter an' desperate.

That's jus' one possible chain of events a' course. But be careful if yer gonna approach a story about somethin' like this. Havin' canon characters appear at all in the Manehattanverse is risky, an' havin' main characters be antagonists is even moreso. If yer gonna make Rarity, or any of 'em, a villain, make sure it's really an' truly plausible.

Another idea is to make someone who is very racist against non-ponies, thus giving the Manehatten 6 an interesting rival, as well as giving Spike his own foe. The pony in question could attempt to frame Spike for something or attempt to humiliate him to outright attacking him when no one is looking.

Ah need ta mention, Manehattan has a good-sized non-pony population. They're not everywhere, but they're there.

Goldenheart
Group Contributor

If Rarity does become a minor antagonist, don't go beyond her character, or go the route of Ron the Death Eater.:trixieshiftright:

1753687 Well, said pony could be leading a Pony Supremest group then.

Or maybe someone could create an anti-Mare Do Well villain

Hypothetically, if you were to compare Mare Do Well with Darkwing Duck (someone actually suggested this as a story idea for my AU), then would an anti-Mare Do Well be a ponified version of Nega Duck (perhaps "Nega Mare")?

Stop replying to year old threads. Good grief. -_-

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 17