Authors Helping Authors 2,464 members · 8,633 stories
Comments ( 16 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 16

My new story Rogue has been released and is doing not too bad, some recommended that is too long. Also, while I have pre readers, I would love it if others could review the story as well.

I would really appreciate it if help could come soon, since i will release another chapter soon. Thank you

618731 When it comes to writing, there's barely a time when a beginning is "too long". You took the time to set the pieces of the story which is a good thing, so don't think having that large of an opening is bad.

I dont think so. I prefer longer chapters. Anything shorter than 3500 seems like it ends just when its getting good. Personally I think 10k is the limit for being too long of a chapter but even those are better than short chapters IMO.

Hingard
Group Admin

618731 I'll give it a read however, I wont be able to get to it till later, but I do promise you a like, favorite, and a review by the end of the day

arandompenguin
Group Admin

The opening chapter's length should be similar to the other chapters' length. Therefore, if all of your chapters are going to be 7k words, so should your first chapter. Unless you have a prologue, which should be from 1/5 to 1/2 your normal chapter's length.

7,000 words isn't too long of a chapter. Anything past 10,000 words starts getting long. I personally prefer releasing two-thousand word chapters.

My personal opinion regarding this is that a chapter should be as long as it needs to be. The important rule is to make sure that at the end of a chapter, something's happened to progress the story. For first chapters, it can take more words than average to set the stage for following chapters to build on, but that happens.

Also, 7500 words is not really that much in the way of chapter size. I'd say you're good, unless the chapter's got a large number of extra words that aren't needed.

I don't believe so. Heck, Starstruck has an opening chapter of over 20,000 words and everybody read the hell out of that story. Me, I just write the chapters, and however long they end up being, that's how long they are.

Man, I wish my stories had as many ratings and views as yours did, though.

In my story, Pinkamena Diane Pie: Consultant Detective, my first chapter is 10,000 words. So, to me, 7,000 isn't a lot :unsuresweetie:

For me the goldie-lox number of words per a chapter is between 3500-4500. Seven isn't too long but only the most skilled of authors should attempt 10,000 +. Just remember, consistency is the magics :coolphoto:.

Just remember: in printed novels, a page usually averages 300-350 words, and most books don't have 3-page chapters. 7500 words, with this system of converting to pages, is about 22-25 pages long. It's actually not too bad of a chapter. Having said that, since we are using an online medium, we can't always just mark what page we stopped on, so having a 50-plus-page chapter can be somewhat irritating for some (I'm a pretty fast reader, so it doesn't bother me too much). I think most people can handle 10,000 words for a chapter online, but try to keep it under 15,000 words or split the chapter into two parts, as that is the lower limit for translating into 50 pages in a book. :twilightsmile:
TL;DR version: it isn't too long. Write as much as you want, but try to split chapters into parts if they get past 15k words. :pinkiesmile:

Eh, the way I break it down is 1000-1500 words per event, two events per chapter. Gives me a chapter length of 2000-3000 words—about half that of the average fantasy novel.

Nothing wrong with long chapters, just make sure you don't drag things out for too long.

My philosophy is to not worry about length. Just make the story the best it can be and whatever word count it ends up at is what it ends up at.

I'm in the 1500-3000 words per chapter camp, but it boils down to what you want to do with your story. I will admit to being leery of starting a story when I see chapter counts of 5000+ words though.

No. Longer chapters=more content. More content=more ideas. More ideas=diversity and creativeness. Diversity and creativeness=better stories. Better stories=more fun. More fun=more popularity. More popularity=more people liking your story. More people liking your story=even more popularity. Even more popularity=your story becomes a classic. Your story becomes a classic=instant respect and followers. Instant respect and followers=you becoming a face of the website.

I just gave you nice logic. Use it.

Depends on the content. If it took 7000 words worth of effort, it's perfect. If it's just fluff covering nine words and a misplaced semicolon, then it is far too long.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 16